/dsg/ - Dyson Sphere General

/dsg/ - Dyson Sphere General

Other urls found in this thread:

space.com/36925-alien-megastructure-star-dimming-again.html
sciencealert.com/researchers-just-found-a-second-dyson-sphere-star
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

space.com/36925-alien-megastructure-star-dimming-again.html

Where does the civilization live in a galaxy with a dyson sphere?

Well considering that creating a Dyson Sphere is a requisite for a K2 civilization, which, according to Sagan's scale, has around 100 billion-billion people, I'd say everywhere. That's more than enough people to inhabit the majority of the galaxy.

That said, the living space inside a Dyson Sphere is large enough to house trillions of people

>summer 24/7
no thanks

I think at that point you can change the weather and temperature around your house with a single flick

This You have enough energy to create a super syberia to chill in.

>due to the extreme amount of sunlight living inside the sphere, everyone becomes dark black

IN ENGLISH DOCK

>trillions of people
Is this idea of a dyson sphere way bigger than earth or is the interior surface area of a dyson sphere the size of earth way bigger than I think it is?

I feel like the Dyson Sphere would have to be much, much grander than some half-finished Death Star to really communicate the existential dread and the meaning of the ending, otherwise most players would not understand the implication and just assume you were blowing up the Combine for good.

Perhaps if the sky/space around it was also lit up with the distant shapes of countless other megastructures.

are we talking about the actually dyson spheres that are dotting our very own galaxy? if so then this thread is about to get exciting. sciencealert.com/researchers-just-found-a-second-dyson-sphere-star

>mods will allowed this forced shill general

What?
Dyson spheres are supposed to encompass main sequence stars. For comparison, our sun's surface is 10 billion times that of the Earth

>shilling a game that doesn't exist nor ever will
?

what is it shilling for, exactly?

Where does the material come from to build a Dyson Sphere? How many planets would have to be harvested to make one? Didn't the Combine only harvest water from Earth?

>Talk about a game
>Shilling
Get back to where you belong.

by definition, a Dyson sphere needs to be larger than the star it's built around

if we use our Sun as an example, the Sun has a diameter of ~1,4 million km (Earth is ~13000 km), and since the Dyson sphere needs to be larger and farther away, let's say that a Dyson sphere's diameter around 5 million km, which puts the surface size to 78539816339744.83 km^2. Earth's surface is 510 million km^2

From that, we can calculate an estaminated population (if we count Earth's population at 10 billion) of four trillion, five billion, five hundred million, thirty-three thousand two hundred and thirty-five people

And our Sun is a rather small one to build a Dyson Sphere around

that's the point of the reveal, the Combine have vastly greater resources than we ever imagined

depends on what you want to build, the volume and size of the sphere, materials used etc

but definitely at least a solar system worth of materials

>Shilling for a non-existent game

>general on Sup Forums
>not video games

"oh fuck im so retarded"
- you, 2017

Well planets are pretty much useless when you stop any sunlight from reaching the planets in the star system

the most brilliant part is that a Dyson sphere alone is terrifying, but the possibility that the Combine can potentially be a K3 level civilization is absolutely horrifying

Have you been drinking antifreeze or were you born this stupid?

Why Dyson Sphere General a thing now?

because it's one of the greatest ending endings ever made for a video game that we will never see

also because Dyson spheres are fucking amazing

So why are we not mad at Valve?

>just meme it leeeeeel

>not using nanosunscreen implants

You use starlifting to get the materials from the star.

Can somone give me a quick rundown on what this whole Dyson Sphere stuff means in regards to Hal-Life? I just woke up from a coma.

People are.
But it's Valve.

Also a Dyson Sphere is kinda illogical because doesn't a sun EXPAND when it loses energy or millions of years?

Imagine you are in a fist fight with a guy with a gun

You manage to get an RPG and shoot the guy

Then the clouds part and a Death Star appears

>2.5 million km radius
Not even close, at that distance anything on the surface would be scorched, the Earth is around 92 million km away from the Sun.
People wouldn't live on the surface of a Dyson Sphere though, it would defeat the purpose of the sphere, that's harvesting energy.

our rage long ago faded into sadness

Lurk more.

wew lad why does everybody seem to think that a civilization can magick up a Dyson Swarm but every other bit of technology remains the same with no progress?

Lurk moar faggot

Alyx and Gordon would've found the Borealis, jumping randomly between time, space and dimensions due to excess Aperture technology, and after finally seizing it for themselves, Alyx would shoot Mossman in the face and she and Gordon would attempt to ram the Borealis into the Combine homeworld because the Borealis is too dangerous to let anyone get their hands on it.

G-Man shows up, takes Alyx with him, and Gordon would be left alone traveling through time and space to ram an interdimensional battle boat into the Combine homeworld. And then he sees its a Dyson Sphere, and in terms of sheer scale, ramming even the Borealis, the crazed and incomprehensible pinnacle of human technology, would do little more than scratch the surface of the Combine's planet.

The Vortigaunts save him at the end, but it doesn't mean much.

>Half-Life writer releases a brief summary of what the plot of Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was supposed to be, or at least a draft of it
>long story short, Episode 3 was supposed to end with Freeman aboard the Borealis hurtling futilely towards a Combine Dyson sphere
>this spurred threads of mourning towards Half-Life, threads of rage at valve, threads of shitposting about how Half-Life was never good
>And, as you might be able to tell, threads about Dyson Spheres

The writer of the series posted an outline of HL2EP3's plot, which ends with Gordon riding a time and space charged Borealis on a crash course to a combine home world, only to see that it's a Dyson sphere and that the strongest weapon humanity has wouldn't do a god damn thing.

wow, it's just like Sup Forums

>trillions

that is not even close, i'm not trying to be a dick but dude come on really think about the total area we are talking about here

Well its more a fact, Gordon and Alyx Futilely decided to ram it at the Combine, When really they could have studied the Borealis and learnt how it worked. Which could have done far more than a small dent!

No way man. If the combine got their mitts on the ship the one singular thing holding them back from conquering all known creation would be theirs, on top of time travel.

Anger implies passion. The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference, and Half Life fans have been indifferent to Valve for years now.

Is a good open ending (makes you think in the universe and shit and the idea can create tons of mod material)... Why they just don't finished this crap and ended the fucking game??

They created stupid multiplayer games about mechas and evolving monsters... Holy shit, steam never was good and Gabe is a fat fascist who wants to create pay mods

It was a no-win situation. Alyx would've probably turned on Gordon if he insisted they kept the Borealis, and the G-Man probably wouldn't let his puppets fight or let Alyx get killed at that moment in time. Alyx's vengeful binge basically fucked everything up.

You could show a super cargo ship carrying dozends of City 17 type citadels that you pass on the way to the space station that is the command center for the invasion of earth while you see similar looking stations in the distance.

Game sphere general?

That was the literal point user. The auroras bootstrap drive creates new universes with its time travel. Meaning if the combine get it. It wont affect us by paradoxes. Its basically a win via perspective!

In one of the other countless solar systems in the galaxy?

Prey 2 had a pretty rad ending as well

>our Sun is a rather small one

Our sun is bigger than 90% of the stars in the milky way. The idea that it's an average star is a hold over from the time when we couldn't detect red dwarfs.

And you aren't even sure if that's the only one or the biggest thing they have

What if he did wake up from a coma, imagine the egg on your faces

>"I need to tell you something, i'm afraid it's been...nine years."
>Half life 2 ep3\HL3 still not released.

So why would the Combine bother invading other dimensions when they have a fucking Dyson sphere?

more resources to build more Dyson spheres

They already took over many species and planets, probably even entire systems. Why stop?

Can you just let it die, please? I want the pain to go away.

We are mourning here. This is Sup Forums equivelant of wearing black bands.

>Black bands

*Ribbons. Black ribbons. My bad.

I remember playing Half Life 2 on the fucking ps3 many years ago but that's about it.
Should I go and finally play through the entire series? Do I start with Black Mesa or the original?

Sorry, but that shitty PC monitor really takes away from the moment. HL2 has not aged well at all.

Why didn't Gordon pilot the Borealis into the thermal exhaust port of the Dyson Sphere, starting a chain reaction which destroys it and brings down the Combine?

Post Sphere memes

do you think this physicist with a PHD in throwing switches and pushing crates would know where a thermal exhaust on a dyson sphere would be

Because this isn't fucking Star Wars.

inb4 b-but they'll just rebuild!

It would be a martyr situation. Once people(aliens) see that they can fight back the Combine would be done.

Reminder a Dyson sphere building would rewuire crscking thousands and thousands of plsnets, harvesting the materials from the crust and the planet core itself.

If they are a K3 civilization, they are literally unbeatable.

>general for a vacuum cleaner
this belongs on Sup Forums

dyson cloud>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dyson sphere

At the same time, we could see the Antarctic wastelands, where our friends were fighting to make their way to the protean Hyperborea; and in addition, glimpses of other worlds, somewhere in the future perhaps, or even in the past.

>tfw too poor to afford making a Dyson sphere
Bacteria lesser creatures.

Why not repurpose the Asteroid Belt instead?

were did the material to make those planets come from user?

>mfw those assholes tore up all the dyson spheres to make their dumb planets

>galaxy full of dyson spheres
>mfw

At the same time, we could see the Antarctic wastelands, where our friends were fighting to make their way to the protean Hyperborea; and in addition, glimpses of other worlds, somewhere in the future perhaps, or even in the past.

In other words reusing assets from CS, Left 4 Dead, TF2 and maybe even fucking Day of Defeat.

don't lie, you'd flip your shit if you flashed past the L4D survivors fighting a horde

>minecraft building in the background

Really?

I don't think you're quite grasping the joke user is going for

Well, I was vacuuming one weekend, what I thought was a pretty good machine. And I was really amazed by the lousy suction. So I took the machine apart and discovered the problem: a small amount of dust and the bags and filters were hopelessly clogged. So I thought I'd try to design something better. And a few thousand prototypes later, I had it. No bags. No clogged up filters, and the first vaacum that doesn't lose suction.

Post more HL3 ending art

its probably completely autonomous, there probably isnt even a "true" combine race. just an infinite machine that keeps consuming

Anyone else replaying HL or HL2 because of the recent leak? I just wanted to experience these great games again since we'll probably never have another game like it.

Just booted up HL1 today

Why is this a general again?