As deeply flawed as this game was, I must say I really enjoyed the gameplay and in-game aesthetics

As deeply flawed as this game was, I must say I really enjoyed the gameplay and in-game aesthetics.

The way you control Samus smoothly through the environments with just the d-pad, the camera angles, the soft lock-on, dodging mechanics, "behind the shoulder" exploration segments, it all felt really good. The animations were really well done, the way Samus always moved along a fixed path even though the camera angles shifted with her movement, and the combat felt much more challenging than previous Metroid games, without getting too hard to become cumbersome. Having to point the wiimote at the screen for missiles feels really awkward at first, I'll admit, but once you get used to it, it feels pretty cool to point at the screen, "lock-on" and fire a missile.
It feels a lot like a natural progression from the Super Metroid style of gameplay to 3D, without completely reinventing the wheel like the Prime series, even though I absolutely love the Prime trilogy.

Unfortunately, the narrative aspects of the game really do detract way too much from the overall experience. The shitty characterization, the cheesy as fuck narration, the tons of literally-who characters introduced into the story, it's all really awkward and poorly handled, and the worst of it all is the confinement of Samus's upgrades to story beats instead of actual gameplay, since instead of having to look for them in the environments you just get permission from Adam and bam, that's it. The exploration is pretty downplayed, since you're stuck in the areas the plot wants you to explore, with very little backtracking, with doors locking and unlocking around you as you progress through the plot.

I don't see why they have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The gameplay wasn't broken, it was everything else. If only they'd keep and refine the gameplay mechanics and make it into a game with MUCH less story, and more freedom of exploration, I'm sure it would turn out great.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4h8hNYev0
youtube.com/watch?v=2OVDy1zpwLg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nice blog, have a link to more?

God forbid we try to have an actual civil discussion about video games.

>People started defending Other M

IT BEGINS

I'm not defending the game itself, I'm just saying the gameplay was actually really enjoyable. I think the cons outweight the pros, but they don't make the game unplayable. It's kinda like Sonic Adventure of Resident Evil 5, they did some horrible things when you compare them to the previous games in their respective series, but you can still play and have fun with them;

I've said since it came out that if you took out all the story, cutscenes and dialogue, the game is salvageable. They'd still need to remove pixel hunts, switching to first person for missiles and some other gameplay flaws though. Basically, the game would need a total remake. Which isn't worth it.

Someone make a mecha version of this for ACfag.

I enjoyed walking around the space station.

>anti-feminist
>pro-military
>pro-authority
>pro-family
>pro-tradition
Is Other M the most redpilled game of the 2010s?

Kill yourself blogposting is when you talk about your life you newfag

Yeah, that's my point. The core gameplay is definitely salvageable, it really does feel like an expansion of traditional 2D Metroid at times. There's no point in throwing away the parts that worked just because the rest of the game was shit.

based

So why does Sup Forums hate Prime so much yet adore Other M to death?

They don't.

Prime is western and Other M is Japanese.
youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4h8hNYev0
youtube.com/watch?v=2OVDy1zpwLg

It would have to be something really fat, and it needs a lot of fuel. The fuel cells should be shaped like hotpockets. It also needs the shape of a fedora on top of it.

I see ACfag made it here in record time.

>a worse transition to 3d platforming than Sonic or Mario could ever manage
>"but it's really the STORY that ruins the game!"

It really wasn't though. The way they managed to maintain the planes of movement cohesive with moving 3D angles is pretty impressive, especially since you use a d-pad to move, and it plays really smoothly. It plays more like a 2D platformer with some added depth than a fully 3D title.

If there's one thing that Other M does really well, is the movement controls.

too bad the levels were boring, combat sucked, and extra weapons were only useful for getting to new areas

it was sucky and slow and offered no real exploration

I thought the combat was pretty enjoyable. Any more depth than that and it would detract too much from the overall gameplay.

I agree with the rest though, the level design was pretty bland for the most part, with very little exploration available,and the weapon upgrades were meh as fuck.

>Having to point the wiimote at the screen for missiles feels really awkward at first, I'll admit, but once you get used to it, it feels pretty cool to point at the screen, "lock-on" and fire a missile.

I admit I want to play this game just to know what this feels like. But also because I've always liked the idea of a video game that is a 2D scroller but can be turned into first-person anywhere. It's like the kind of idea you come up with as a child but then grow up and forget because you become jaded that it's impossible to execute.

Give it a go, if you have a wii. Like I said before, the overall experience will leave a really bad taste in your mouth if your a Metroid fan, but the game is by no means unplayable. Just shut your brain off during any story-related sequences and enjoy the gameplay.

>good gameplay
>pixel hunting
choose 1

Also I remember reading how Stephen Totillo said it's a game from the future because that sort of (unscripted?) interaction just doesn't happen in games.

You are tempting me to buy Metroid Other M Sup Forums!!!!

That's not really related to gameplay, that's a level/objective design fuck up.

Nah, if you have to pay more than 10 bucks for it, I'd say pirate it. I mean, if you have a wii and haven't soft-modded it yet, what the hell are you waiting for?

I'm no piratescrum

>If there's one thing that Other M does really well, is the movement controls.

YOUR' LIMITED TO A FUCKING D PAD IN AN ACTION GAME. The movement was shit

just rent Other M or Pirate that shit

>YOUR' LIMITED TO A FUCKING D PAD IN AN ACTION GAME

Just like literally any other traditional Metroid before it. The whole point of the game is trying to reimagine traditional Metroid gameplay in a 3D enviroment, and it does that rather well.

The game has a lot of shitty features, but the gameplay being "imprecise and unwidely" is not one of them. It plays really smoothly.

>Just like literally any other traditional Metroid before it.

except none of the other games that sued the D Pad required the same level of precision movement that Other M demanded

What precision? The game locks you in a constant x-y angle for each room you're in, that doesn't change with the camera. If you keep holding the d-pad in one direction, you'll keep moving in that direction regardless of camera movement.

You can rent the game, or buy it used for really cheap. It's not really a rare game to find.

Dobson is not Sup Forums, faggot, slit your throat.