How did they make such a tiny map feel so big?

How did they make such a tiny map feel so big?

What are other examples of perfect maps?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_aN5wXfZClQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

PubG's map.

Because that pic isn't the actual map, it's a Sims 3 mod

>school
>pochinki
>military base

for anyone who hasnt played pubg, those are the only places you will ever go unless you want to wait in a bush for 30 minutes before doing anything fun

It doesn't feel big to me, but they utilized the map properly.

This

Same applied to this

the intersections are a big give away

I've been wanting to play MWR with my friends ever since it came out but I refused to buy the bundled game. Then they release it stand alone for $40. Fuck shit man, I just wanna play the game.

No RPG will ever compare.

Nothing will ever be as comfy again

So shit but too legendary and good to not have

Your nostalgia is showing. At the time it was a big map with a few things going on in each section of the map. GTAV is a big map with not a lot of things in it.

>Your nostalgia is showing.
Wouldn't his nostalgia not be showing if he thought it was tiny since the map was considered big at the time?

Draw distance was crap on ps2 and pc until mods fixed that eventually a few years down the line

This map is the shittiest MOBA map. LoL players just don't know any better because it's pretty much the only fucking map that game has.

People always fail to mention this isn't the actual map and it's a fan re-creation within The Sims.

Colour me impressed.

What really gives it away is the border around a lot of the buildings where the "lot" ends. See it around the docks very clearly.

Limansk in Clear Sky. Just a small town but damn did it take forever to fully get through. Helps to have a ton of opposition in the way though.

Literally the most perfect map

all of the day bro

I didnt say it was a big map. I was saying how did they make it FEEL so BIG

How do you make that perfect map where it feels just the right size?

>Perfectly symmetrical
Bleh

Dang, never realized how small the vice city is...

The world was at a slightly larger scale than the people/cars.
You moved relatively slow (top speed in the fastest car is only ~100mph IIRC).
The reduced draw distance helped hide the world.
Most of the objectives weren't just on the main stretches of long roads and had you going through multiple turns to get to them.

>Blind
haha

Kanto in Pokemon always felt huge to me as a kid. A couple of the zones in Dark Souls are really good too. Cathedral of the Deep especially is incredible.

get the fuk out u worthless console peasant

The only JRPG map I've seen that feels like it could be big an dense enough to be a real world.

Was it really always this small…

looks like a randomly generated dorf fort map

its a shitty smaller map from sims 3. with lots of streets and buildings missing. This is the real VC map... now imagine how small tommy is in this sclae, doesn't look that small does it?

>it's earth

>dead game

Fucking disgusting.

Why would knights drive camaros?

There's something about SR 2's map that brings me back

>rocket hogs
>consoles

>romaly
>eginbear
>portoga
>greenlad
>new town
>isis
I like it, it's subtle enough.

This isn't a feels thread

>What are other examples of perfect maps?

How do people still fall for this shit? Like, you can't even see any alley ways along Ocean Beach.
I wish someone would screenshot the REAL Vice City from this angle.

>Crossfire
>not Katabatic

no fast travel.

>tiny ass end maps
>pathetic bumps they call hills
>good
fuck off shitcunt

Just call me VvardenSMALL

what is that giant mass next to australia supposed to be

Summerset Isle

Well that's not the whole map, like just 60 percent of it, and for a game on consoles that was huge at the time.

>our map is extremely small
>add mountains everywhere to make people walk more
>don't forget cliff racers

>can literally jump from one side of the map to the other

Bethdrones are ridiculous.

>set the run speed to leisurely walk and make them have to take short breaks so their fatigue isn't 0 when they run into a cliffracer

Patrician taste

This game pissed me off like no other, because the Scholarship Edition on 360 would glitch and side missions you find on the street wouldn't load and there was nothing you could do about it.

>isis

Is the PC version also broken? I've heard about bugs in Bully before and its always put me off getting the game.

Wouldn't know, I fucking dropped that shit when it ran at silky smooth 2 fps on my decent rig. Fuckin' as bad a port as Saint's Row 2. Never looked back.

Can't find a good picture, but Groznyj Grad.

Had less personality than Shadow Moses or even Big Shell. Open wilderness and swamps don't work as well for MG as infiltrating a facility does.

This, I blasted through MGS and MGS2 and then when I got to MGS3 I sort of lost interest. I think the map has something to do with it.

literally perfect. Remakes when?

Is this dos?

It doesn't have that same atmosphere of industrial paranoia you get from being surrounded by metal at all times

This. There's something completely fucking claustrophobic about being surrounded by walls and enemies.

They actually made it feel like three full, distinct cities, and it was still possible to get lost and find new places after hundreds of hours of play. Meanwhile V has a map that's something like 6x the size, but still manages to feel tiny and rarely gives any feeling of exploration.

I guess it's true that a global spy caper taking place in a top-secret facility works better than the middle of some swamp.
>fox engine remaster never

pubg and vice are COMPLETE opposites. each area is handcrafted and made to resemble or be specific location. pubg is literally throw darts at the map, okay thats 4 building, repeat

a game dosent feel big because youve travelled for 20 minutes and seen nothing
a game feels big because youve travelled 10 and found 20 different things. it feels big because theres so much to see, so much to do, so many different things.
no one cares about an hour of flat plain desert with some different elevations

>boat mining

in open world your escape plan is literally "the opposite direction of the enemy, maybe slightly left or right if a hill or obstacle might conceal you faster". in a building, even if you know it by heart, being spotted and running away isnt a simple "turn around", its possible your in a dead end, its possible your escape route is longer then the route the enemy takes to block it, there might be multiple routes and you may need to make a split second decision.

outside its just...run the other direction.

Halo 1 was on the PC you fucking troglodyte

Why is Panau from Just Cause 2 so much better than Medici(?) from 3? Is it because it has so many more types of terrain compared to 3's forests, hills, towns, and pathetically small capital city?

what is this

not only that but the better edition with rocket hogs, flamethrowers and plasma grenade launchers

THANKS FOR BETA TESTING CONSOLE KEKS

>Romaly

Why would you even want a remake? You know they're just going to fuck it up. At least the way things are now you can always look back fondly on Platinum instead of becoming the next ORAS.

oh shit kek is filtered to cuck? i approve. Sup Forums must be so assblasted

>being this unabashedly new
Lurk more you fucking nigger.

It's still the smallest (I think it's smaller than III's LC, I could be wrong honestly) 3D GTA map, yet they manage to make it feel pretty big for what it is.

I mean that said yeah it's allot bigger than that shitty sims map fag of an OP posted.

Bully had perfectly nailed the small town New Hampshire-feel that no sequel could really top. Such a shame

Funny, bully runs fine on my laptop (only sometimes slowing down during combat) but SR2 is still a stuttery mess.

kek, ive been away at work all day, i thought this was a brand new change. come back when you remember hourly or daily word filters, newfag

ORAS is still better than RSE, denying it is the prime example of being a nostalgiafag

what are you talking about they never made any sequels to saints row, it was that niche game that didnt get that popular and was really good. nothing atrociously bad happened to that games legacy

Pretty much this. I remember Morrowind did a similar thing where roads would wind around a lot making a trip feel alot longer than it really was (if you don't follow the road you can save like 3-4 minutes when going from Seyda Neen to Pelagiad.)

Man, it seems like the only recent Konami acknowledgement that the series exists is in Pop'n Music.

Youre supposed to do a pokemon remake if your current handheld cant play the game

im not saying this is a good map, or anything, im just saying that i bet if i saw the top down map of it this map was fucking balls tiny, despite feeling like a huge clusterfuck of a maze

That's not Seyda Neen.
My good man.

The OST of 1 really reinforces that atmosphere, it's so good at setting the mood.

youtube.com/watch?v=_aN5wXfZClQ