Were achievements in video games a mistake?

Were achievements in video games a mistake?

No because they can add to the replay value of a game immensely

You can tie that to the game itself instead of the console manufacturer though. They only exist to lock people into a system. All of my friends stuck with the Xbox exclusively into the Bone Zone because they put "all that work" into their score. Microsoft bet on the sunk cost fallacy and won.

It's much easier to be ranked in a larger setting if there's a system wide trophy system, though.
It's your own fault for becoming attached to them. After all, there's websites that shows people's gamer scores or trophy levels.

for some types of videogames they can add a bit of interest and replay value

the mistake was thinking that all games need them. if you're making a game where I'm supposed to take the story/setting seriously, or where I'm supposed to set my own goals and be creative, achievements can basically fuck off

Yes, because most achievements in games today shouldn't be classed as achievements

probably not. They give you something to do when you beat a game but still want to play it. There are a lot of garbage achievements though. Like, a LOT.

why the fuck did they stop giving you themes/pics/avatar items?

>that achievement in HL2 to carry the gnome all the way to the rocket

What do people mean by this?

>most achievements in games today
shit like "complete chapter 1"
>shouldn't be classed as achievements
They're not achievements

>12322 cheevos
What the fuck, is this one of those stupid games made only for lets players ?

>L4D 1 & 2 achievements

Still having nightmares about trying to complete the "no hit during escape" achievement with my sucky friend

YES. I hate seeing the system/console interject into my game. I never felt any achievement for gaining achievements. The reward for doing something in a game should be game content, otherwise I don't care.

No, because they're optional. But you don't know what that word means.

No, its the same concept as highscores, it can give you something to achieve by playing the game.

you get those for completing badges now
not avatars though

no its so you can get 12322 achievements on your profile

They're a mistake in that they're practically a requirement in all games nowadays. They're redeemed when there's the option to remove it. They're godly when they challenge you to play ways that get creative and show you trucks you can do that you wouldn't discover otherwise.

Yeah you wish.

Most achievements today involve catching developer aids, prestige 5 times, pulling off ridiculous grenade tricks in multiplayer, harassing your friends list with challenges, or collecting 500 memes.

And what is the point of that?

because there are people who unironically have 12000 achievements by actually playing games and it bothers them to see shit like this. devaluing achievements is important

Double edge sword. On the one hand they can add replayability to a game, encouraging you to seek alternate endings, encouraging people to play on harder difficulties, to find secrets or do those FUCKING BULLSHIT collectibles.

On the other hand, they can ruin games by forcing linearity, encouraging people play stupidly in multiplayer games because their goal is the achievement, not winning the game itself. Most developers tack them on without any forethought on how they can improve the game and seem to do it just because they're required to. Making them time sinks for something completely fucking useless other than the most miniscule of bragging rights.

>achievement for starting the game
>60% players have it

>achievement for beating the game
>less than 9% of players have it

>more players have the achievement for beating the second boss than the first boss
>no way to skip the first boss

>achievement for beating hard mode on a very easy game.
>0,2% got it

Most games today don't even have an achievement for beating the game. Maybe one on super hard 2 playthroughs required invisible enemy meme mode if your lucky.

The point distribution was fucked but early achievements made more sense. One for finishing on hard, one for finishing on normal, one for maxing out character, one for a perfect rank or whatever, shit you would actually do in a game you played alot.

Oh no. They bought a console that plays multiplats at a slightly shitter quality that the other console.

Why wouldn't you keep going with a console that you have tons of account time on and that you can pretty much play most games on backwards compatibility, since we're on the idea that they have a lot of achievements and thus almost certainly a large library of games?

>Achievement for beating a certain late game boss
>0.00% of players have this achievement

I like it when they're for doing shit that challenges you. MCC had you speedrun each game on Legendary in under three hours total time, get par scores of every campaign level, find every easter egg, play on every difficulty, among a bunch of other things I'm probably forgetting.

9% of a games playerbase has achievements that are flat out impossible to achieve ingame because it hasnt been coded yet

>yfw VN's have achievements for some reason.

>more people have the achievement for getting all achievements than there are people who have previous achievements

branching stories, for multiple playthroughs

>ntr ending has an achievement
>friends start bullying you for it

The fuck are you playing? I can't think of games that don't have seperate achievements for beating the different difficulty modes off the top of my head. But then I also avoid most western AAA garbage so maybe that explains it.

>there are achievements for giving the devs your personal information

If you're an idiot, maybe.

Good and bad achievements. Was playing bioshock infinite and was trying to get all the voicetapes but realized towards the end I missed a lot earlier and said fuck it and finished the game. Metal gear rising has achievements for beating bosses on revengeance mode which I'll probably do for replay value.

Collect x things achievements are dumb imo

>check steam achievements
>some games have achievements for just starting the game.
>some people who buy the game don't even have those.

Who are these people? Who buys games and doesn't play them?

>there is an achievement that can only be gotten by paying real money for it

Or collectathons to unlock new collectathons which unlock a secret boss who can only be beaten if you collected all super secret collectable 13

>Achievement for playinth the game with a dev.

Adults.

bought it on sale/discount/bundles or whatever, probably

>tfw use SAM

Yeah this is a bad slap in the face. I like metal gear rising where you collect things to get a sweet powerup to help you in revengeance mode, those wigs. It'll be a pain to find the hands but that sweet powerup is better then being forced into collecting shit to get some crap that should be available right away

>some games have achievements for buying it during early access/kickstarter

Fuck you, release your game in a ready state you faggots.

Some games add/added achievements later. So there's people who played the game before that.

I don't understand you people

I have my completion percent on my steam profile so I can check how my backlog is going. 30-50 percent completion is good enough when so many games have dumb achievements.

I have at least 20 games I never even installed because they were gifts or buned with a game I actually wayned

>get the gnome to the rocket
>forget to close the door and i don't get the achievement
thank god i saved

>On the one hand they can add replayability to a game
There are people on Sup Forums that are -this- retarded.

Fuck tf2s get 1k views achievements

>Multiplayer achievements
>Servers are dead

>Multiplayer achievements
>Kill 500 players, etc.
>Dead community

alright faggots, post em.

Oh boy, I remember doing that with my friends, and near the end I fucked up and shot a zombie cause he jumpscared me. The insults I got were delicious.

This. This is what achievments should be. I love the ones like this.

>single player unlocks are tied to multiplayer that closed down

Achievements for normal game progression outside of beating the game should not exist, at the least.

I feel like they're a much lazier way to pad hours into a game than making an actual interesting reason to keep playing. Also most achievements in multiplayer games are shit. Especially team ones. That's just sadism against the community. Having players do shit the whole match that hurts the team and doesn't actually play to the objective is awful.

Sometimes doing achievements is fun, but that's usually in games I'm already interested in playing more as it is.

play solo and remove bots. Done.

I think there are 2 good kinds of achievements.
The ones that force you to do some real weird / different thing during your playthrough
And the "progression" kind of achievement when the game isnt progression heavy, so it helps as a guide. The only i can think that does it really well is Terraria.

What is this?

it's cancer

Achievlets get out

What's up with Brigador's achievement stats?
80% of them are at 0.1% rarity

Even easy shit like completing a level at 50% speed was achieved by 1.7% of players

As a completionist, games like WoW make me mad as fuck nowadays.

I used to love WoW back in vanilla and TBC, but now whenever I log in, and see 3,000+ achievements left to do, I log the fuck out. Maybe I'm just OCD as fuck, but it feels like content overload and stresses me out.

One day I will do the single bullet achievement.

you do realize developers use those achievements as easy to read statistics right?
that's why most games on steam have 1 achievement you get no matter what if you play the game for more than 30 minutes
they literally don't affect the player at all anyways

>Game only has a few achievements
>Tied to the story, unlock naturally

Okay, dev just keeping track of how many people get through the game, or where they gave up. Fair enough - it's at least better than empty collect everything or play 1000 hours shit.

>One of the achievements is bugged
>Dev says since 0.8% have it, it isn't
>Ignores everyone who tells him about SAM
>Never fixes the broken achievement
>Game abandoned

FUCKING HELL JUST REMOVE IT ALREADY

Yes. No good comes from that shit

>he 100%ed Halo MCC

Congratz man, that's quite the achievement

what game is that? its not on steam is it?

I dont get it, on steam you dont even have gamerscore or whatever. what use doe these achievments have

>Anomaly soon, fellow Stalker

No, but they are completely unnecessary

>the new content hasn't even been given a price tag yet
>there's no release date either
>but the achievements are in the game anyway

No, seriously, fuck you, Paradox.

Yea it on steam. It was released before steam put a cap on achievements so you can still get them. Game is literally copied from something else with flipped assets uploaded by a russian. Search for it's story

Yeah, but just think about it. You think masturbating isn't hard, but objectively speaking, masturbation involves a very complex physiological system that includes the prefrontal cortex associated with the limbic system in order to execute and enjoy the masturbation, the precentral and postcentral gyri for movement and sensation respectively, the integration of the stumuli received by the retina through the association fibers of the white matter that connect the occipital cortex with the parietal cortex, the temporal lobe and the neocortex of the cerebellum to recall the stereotypical, coordinated, and repetitive movements required to reach orgasm, which is mediated by the in crescendo contractions of the ischiocavernosus and bulbospongiosus muscles coordinated by the sympathetic branch of the autonomous nervous system.

I don't care about achievements, a far better incentive for completing challenges is the game itself giving you something for doing them.
For example, MGS3 gives you special camos for defeating bosses non-lethally, you unlock special items for doing a no kill or no alert run etc.
I spent hours in Nuclear Throne trying to loop with a gimped build using a character I never use just to unlock a different skin for it.

>make games piss easy
>add obtuse achievements and claim it's the real challenge

No, they encouraged laziness.

>casual excuses

>yfw it's something like "get 100% of the CG" or "get 100% of the scenes"