Cutting the game in half and selling the 2nd half as physical DLC

>Cutting the game in half and selling the 2nd half as physical DLC

But that's ok because it was 1992, right vee?

Children literally don't give a shit. Also back then you could atleast rent games which made jewery like this tolerable.

>Can also play as Knuckles in Sonic 2
>Can also play infinite Blue Sphere levels in Sonic 1

This and certain Amibos are DLC done right.

>1992

Now you can copy it

Sup Forums on blast right now

It was okay because the genesis carts literally couldn't handle the entire game. Games have literally 100's of times more space now, there's no excuse. Furthermore, S&K not only worked with the other sonic games, it could work with pretty much any genesis game to get a mostly unique blue sphere level.

>It was okay because of my blah blah blah excuses

@388764291
delete your sad excuse for a thread my man.

a

>hardware limitations of the 90s are an excuse
go play pogs or something, kiddo

nice job newfag

Of course it wasn't okay. But Sup Forums is filled with nostalgiafags that will defend anything.

>@

>hardware limitations is nostalgiafagging
ok

Not him but it's almost like you didn't see the joke

>people actually complaining about this
>thought it was awesome as hell when growing up

It's a game that connects to another game to make a newer/better game. That's fucking awesome, what more do you people want? I was so pissed Banjo didn't do this and tried to "connect" the games via codes and other lazy shit. Didn't feel like Banjo 1 and 2 were connected at all, even though that's what they were trying for with that dumb Ice key and shit.

I wish more cart games connected and fused their games together.

If something like it happens today you would do nothing but bitch.

>Physical Downloadable Content

Really fires the neurons

Nope

Each part was around the length of Sonic 2. That's like complaining about Back to the Future or The Godfather being spilt up into 3 parts, and being released and sold separately

You would be right if each game wasn't a standalone thing. Both of the two lock-on games were as long as past games, with new features, better visuals, and new characters and layouts to play. It's true they were supposed to be one game but with the amount of content you were given it's a nonissue. Furthermore, the lock-on was a way to give fans the original concept of the game.

To criticize this move or not I'd really need to know what made the 32X tick. Nintendo was able to deal with hardware limitations by adding modular hardware to the game cartridges themselves when required, obviously they put forethought into futureproofing since the system was able to recognize and utilize things like the "SuperFX" chip. The 32X might be a symptom of sega lacking the same foresight.

>1992

>It was okay because the genesis carts literally couldn't handle the entire game

It had half the number of zone as sonic 2

sonic 2 has 9 zones and a final boss, sonic 3 has 6 and S&K 7. except sonic 3 also looks way better, has more unique sprites and mechanics, and the levels are bigger (with knuckles having unique versions of the levels).

>downloadable content
>physical

Not an argument

>Physical content
>DLC

You stupid motherfucker

Beyond what everyone else has said in this bait thread, you can play sonic & knuckles solo and still have a pretty good game. If you buy DLC or an expansion pack but dont have the base game you get fuck all

It was "okay" because it didn't become the standard

Why is everyone fucking retarded? Blue spheres worked with EVERY game that it didn't support. Sonic 1 was not supported.

>tfw mom bought be sonic and knuckles but I never had sonic 3

she didn't know they went together, she just wanted to get me the newest sanic.

this
me beingI rented sonic 3 all the times. not sure why we never bought it. I had all the other sonic games.

it was pretty jewish but the knuckles cartridge was sick and let you use knuckles in 1 & 2

That is the worst thing I've ever read.

How big was the combined file size?

It was practically an additional game, so I don't see what the problem is. On top of that, you could do cool stuff like play as Knuckles in Sonic 2. Even at the time I didn't have a problem with it.

also added a playable character to the previous two games, not to fucking mention both Sonic 3 and Sonic&Knuckles were both pretty fantastic games with a good amount of content.

>1992
>DLC when it's quite literally not that, it's entirely physical.

Both games had the length of previous Sonic games individually and could be played as their separate game.

It was like playing Sonic 3 and then notice you can merge it with &Knuckles for a better experience.

A single cart couldn't handle the entire S3&K because there simply was not enough memory.

Its in the past, no one liked it, but it isn't a bullshit trend we see nowadays like loot crates or season passes.

The zones are way bigger in S3 and S&K than previous games.

>Back to the Future
I never knew they filmed the 2nd and 3rd movies basically at the same time.

also the fact that it had mini bosses before the act.

this

Backwards compatibility with a game made before the concept of &Knuckles is still one of the coolest things in gaming

It had about as much content as a full game. It's a standalone expansion pack, no biggie.

Why do you keep making this stupid argument?

S3&K rules
/thread

It also costs twice as much as the other sonic games

good thing i bought both cartridges for $30 as a kid because the N64 was out

>If the cartridge that is locked on to Sonic & Knuckles is the original Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic Classics, the Nick Arcade and Simon Wai prototype versions of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will also work), then the full game of Blue Sphere is accessed with all stages. Most other cartridges will allow you to access only a single stage of the game, based on the cartridge's ROM header and the stage's code in the full Blue Sphere game.

Looks like you are the fucking retard, user

Who fucking cares you can play them both for free now go outside

tell it to /vr/