What was gaming like in the 90s?

What was gaming like in the 90s?

I was born in 99 so I have no clue, I heard it was cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/L9uThIBHBws
youtu.be/3otKIBNqciw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Golden age of vidya.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

>People born in 1999 can post on Sup Forums now

I'm 18 actually.

Honestly op 6th gen is alot better than 5th gen. Your not really missing out on much.

doesn't mean you should be here. Maybe try reddit, it's more your speed.

Consoles had a higher % of exclusive titles in their library. Emulation wasn't really a thing yet so PC gaming was a separate entity.

Games were much more of an investment. The standard $60 price for a AAA title today was the same price back then, so adjusted for inflation game prices have gone down.

Indie gaming did not exist outside of the PC world. Even then the only indie devs already had software dev as a day job. To make a game you had to be a real programmer, there were no free gamedev tools.

Consoles had no internet access outside of obscure add-ons, so split screen was the only multiplayer. I can't remember much of online multiplayer on PC during that time. It did exist but wasn't as easy as it is today, involved a lot more setup.

Maybe try not being a fagoot, altho it may prove too difficult for you.

I know this is bait to make people realise that 1999 kids are 18 now, but its a good question.

Yeah it was pretty amazing because it was a time of innovation and new experiences. I dont think games were actually of tremendously high quality, but they were groundbreaking and unpredictable.

Fast forward to now; games have so much more money being poured into them but people generally arent as enamoured because the bar is set high already and rising very slowly compared to the rate it was raised in the earlier days of video games.

I imagine they are here to stay as a cheap form of fun escapism but there probably wont be another golden age until a massive breakthrough is made on the actual technology. At this point the changes between console generations is almost neglible compared to the difference between say snes and n64

CRT tv and tekken 3 and twisted metal with family.

No updates. Plug in cartridge into console and immediately start playing. Giant tube TVs and sitting 4 feet away. Couch coop/multiplayer with friends in the same room.

My brother used to trick the Blockbuster employees into extending our rentals by claiming the disc or cartridge was defective and sometimes picking out a different game (if we were already done with it). My brother got a free Playstation borrowed from elementary school so he wanted to play as many games as possible before he had to give it back.

it was the best time for the games of the video

I AM ALIVE froming the year of 19 of 82, call me anything for asking

>implying that we haven't been posting here this whole time
we were here with you, all along... hehehehehehehehehehehe get fucked old man

This, 6th gen of consoles was literally golden age of gaming, PC included.

this should honestly just be a pic of the ps2 and dreamcast

This. Despite Xbox Live requiring a subscription this generation was the golden age. We will never get anything like this ever again.

>I was born in 99
Fuck off. Go dab or talk about memes n shit with your friends

Wouldn't someone born in 99 still miss out on this, starting gaming at around 7 or 8?

better than the shit we have now

Dreamcast was a big pile shit, why is it even there

yeah when i gamed in the 90's i always had my feet up thumbs up

It was the last generation when games actually played like "games" and not cinematic hand holding shit.

Another 99 baby here, I started gaming in at age 5 and didn't get the 7th gen till like 10 years of age, so I have a lot of fond memories of the 6th gen.

i bet sarah michelle gellars asshole was so pink

>I started gaming in at age 5
This blatant ass lie isn't fooling anyone. People don't even learn to read til around 7 and you expect people to believe you were somehow able to lay and understand games?
The way you underage children desperately want to be included as part of better times is pathetic.

Sup Sup Forums i was born in 1997 and my very first console was a PS2.
Ask Me Anything

Not him, but I was playing Sm64 at four. Along with the entire intellvision library.

Main things I remember:

-Consoles were not too expensive, but games were often $60-80 and rarely went down in price as quickly as they do now. I got a game maybe once every 6 months and rented/sega channeled the rest.

-Outside game magazines, demo kiosks, and word of mouth info on games was limited. You bought shit that looked cool and hoped that it wasn't crap. Early internet was fairly barebones and finding info was tougher.

-Nintendo VS Sega was pretty big at the time, and kids shit talked about exclusives and various stupid shit. A lot of kids though would go to each other's houses to play games on other systems and try shit out.

-Arcades were way more common, and a great way to spend time if you had a decent one. We had one local that had almost every major 80s and early 90s arcade cabinet available and was the size of a sears.

-Nintendo was everywhere, and Sony was later as well. Sega however pretty much started to disappear from shelves after the Saturn came out. I don't even remember most stores stocking Saturn games or consoles outside game shops. Same goes for 32X and Sega CD stuff (Although I do remember the 32X going on-sale at my Toys 'R Us for $20 bucks).

-Buying batteries for portables sucked. I had a Game Gear and I barely played it because it took up so much battery power. Even with the Game Boy Pocket it was hell when the batteries ran low. So glad that rechargable batteries are more affordable and that lithium-ion batteries are the norm for portables.

Console wars were more in the public eye I guess. Now I really only see it on message boards. My kids and their friends never seem invested in the competition like we were at their age. That's the biggest stand out.

Other than that the genre stereotypes were a bit different. Doom didn't quite turn the FPS into the generic fodder genre it is today. Back then it was racing games by far. Maybe not simultaneously fodder titles and the most popular titles, but racing games were a dime a fucking dozen. For popularity it seemed split with Sega having its platformer mascot and cadre of follow ups and action arcade games and Nintendo with its platformer mascot and RPGs.

Let's see what else. Could share young me's hopes and dreams I guess. Looking forward concerning gaming I remember thinking the future was definitely moving toward being able to basically play a movie. In my mind this was basically a side scrolling game like Sonic, but animated like a saturday morning cartoon. I guess my future was Cuphead? ... But yeah I definitely thought the future of games was being able to play something that looked so realistic and cinematic it was basically a controllable movie.

Monkey. Paw.

You, and most of Sup Forums, are were born after 2000. It's so easy to see. Sup Forums is just anyonymous reddit at this point. Same mentality different coat.

>Consoles were more in the public eye in 90s
WOT. Video games and consoles have never been more popular than in 2017.

You see the parallels on other boards too. Honestly reddit hate is a fucking dead meme being beaten way past fruitfulness at this point. I don't know if its just oldfags trying to relive the "purity" days of 4chins back when we ran off ytmnd losers or what.

But yeah, /r/incel is /r9k/ and Sup Forums is inseparable from /r/thedonald or however its spelled.

The internet is hypersaturated. There are no havens. Everyone goes everywhere. Sup Forums is no longer the mysterious hacker known as. Everyone and their mom comes here.

>People don't even learn to read til around 7
How fucking stupid were you as a child?

You edited out the subject of the sentence user. Don't go full retard. Console -wars- aren't a very public thing now.

Whoops, I skipped over that entirely. I blame the alcohol

This was the patrician taste of the gaming magazine world

Game Informer fags can get fucked

Oh yeah, nothing screams golden age like, autoaim, bullet magnetism, standbying, modders meaning cheating and other lame shit.

Girls born on 9/11 will be legal where I live in 8 days and 2 hours

I was pretty fond of EGM myself. Especially later in 6th gen. Though I also grabbed OPM every month for their demo disks.

It is ok I forgive.

EGM was pretty alright too

>magazine for specific company to shill their products (Nintendo Power, Official Playstation, Official Xbox, etc)
No. Best mags are the ones that covered EVERYTHING. Why should I trust a review from, say, Official Xbox Magazine about an xbox-only game that is obviously not biased in any way shape or form

>Shill their products
Their reviews were pretty harsh at times if I recall correctly.

>yfw N64 killed Nintendo's relationship with 3rd parties

Nintendo's relationship with third parties died when they revived the industry. Everyone was pissed that they demanded quality content on the SNES at first.

MGZ pretty much nails it in this vid even though it's supposed to be a parody.
>That Syphon Filter

youtu.be/L9uThIBHBws

The biggest difference was the challenge. Beating a game actually meant something, it was an accomplishment. Kids would lie about beating games just to sound cool.

Also -
>Main characters were manly as fuck
>Soundtracks had to be very good being as they were 2 mins long and you were listening to them loop over and over
>Nintendo was actually good
>Blacklight lit cyber cafes ran by 30 year old neckbeards hosting CounterStrike tournaments were a thing
>Very few people compared to today played Final Fantasy or talked about RPGs in public
>80% of Sega Genesis owners were bitch-ass edgy little tryhards

no they would be turning 17

Companies like Square and Capcom were at least making games for the SNES. They made 3 games combined for the N64.

i was born in 99 and i was playing tomb raider 2 on the n64 before i could read. i just had a hard time figuring out how to start the game.

>i just had a hard time figuring out how to start the game.
probably because you were trying to play a psx game on the n64 retard

>tfw gaming back in the 90's
>no normies
>no sjw shit
>no girls in general outside the few fujoshits
>you and your best buds were the only social group in the entire school that played counterstrike source

TAKE ME BACK

was there a tomb raider game on n64? if there wasn't then i guess it might have been a psx. give me a break, i was like 4 or something.

i know it's old but god damn this is accurate

nope no tomb raiders on n64. it was probably psx. there was an indiana jones game on n64 that was a pretty bald-faced tomb raider clone...could have been that.

Sega Does What Nintendon't.
Blast Processing!
Atari Jaguar. Do the math.

>that asshole kid that started the rumor that you could play as Fox's dad in Starfox 64 but only if you experted every level

Fuck you Dan. Wasted all those hours as a kid

What game is he playing?

17 is legal in some states.

My first console was an Atari 400/800 and Intellivision. Ask me anything.

Capcom made fighting games other than Street fighter and Marvel.

Damn, you are right, that's it. That was a good guess

Some games were trying to outdo each other on edginess, which was lovable and fun.

These days devs try to be as childishly inoffensive as possible.

You could unlock sunglasses for Fox though. I think some kids were just retarded and thought that Fox with sunglasses was Fox's dad.

>99
This is sad people like this can post here now

depending on the game, it was awesome one moment and absolute garbage "where are my cheat codes" the next. I honestly spent time on password screens just to gamble on finding a cheat to get past the game. I somehow managed to get the final level cheat for Jurassic park on sega through brute force.

>those faggots born in '97, '98, '99 and go "lol I'm a 90's kid XD

bitch you were doing nothing buck sucking milk and shitting your diapers through the 90's.

>early 90's: get mind blown by Super Mario Bros 1-3, Sonic 1&2, Zelda ALttP, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Mystical Ninja, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong Country, Megaman X
>mid 90's: get mind blown by Super Metroid, FF6, Chrono Trigger, DKC2, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Red/Blue, Super Mario RPG, Mariokart 64, Goldeneye
>late 90's: get mind blown by Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania SotN, FF7, Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, FF8, StarCraft
It's hard to imagine a time when games like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy 7 had just been introduced to the world. It was mind blowing, and even as a kid who couldn't understand all of the concepts you felt like you were experiencing something special. Naturally those games remained as classics. Also family fun centers/arcades were a thing and provided a unique experience (dual joystick piloting in Virtual On, laser gun shooting with House of the Dead or Jurassic Park, and dance pads with DDR).

Go away, "hardcore gamer." Your big brother isn't here for you to impress

>you bought shit that looked cool and hoped it wasn't crap
Man, this has gotta be one of the biggest differences between my childhood and today. Like you said, most of us only got one or two games a year, so if you ended up picking badly, you were fucked. We all knew kids whose parents bought them a shitty game, and they were stuck with it for months until they got something else.

This is partly why shit like Ocarina of Time was such a big deal when it came out. It was universally loved, so you knew you were getting a can't-miss great game when you bought it.

Also, I remember when my friend got a PS1 after they first came out, and it came with a demo disk that had Soul Reaver, MGS, Twisted Metal and Spyro on it. Blew us both away, we spent hours and hours playing that demo disk.

Blow me retard. I've been playing vidya since I was 3. Ma got an NES for her birthday in 88 so I know the exact date O started

>can't read til 7

Someone had trash parents

Well first of all every game actually had an instruction manual that you would read on the car ride home, getting more and more hyped to play the game you just bought

>there are retards in this thread right now that actually blew on their cartridges to get the game working

Literally everyone did that, and it worked 95% of the time, you knob.

>I also blew into the cartridge receiver

>Dreamcast was a big pile shit

You are human garabge

born in 88 here
the first "serious" (as in not minesweeper or some disney licensed kiddie puzzle bobble clone) game I played was Unreal, shit was dope, Half-Life came shortly after (same year iirc)
Unreal Tournament was lots of fun too, although I played online only from the sequels onward (UT2004 especially) cause shit and expensive internet, best graphics around and godly soundtrack
youtu.be/3otKIBNqciw
I'm not nostalgic or anything, I enjoy gaming in the current year without being bitter about it, but the general relaxed atmosphere around vidya is surely missed, nowadays everything has to be some overhyped buzzed about horseshit or else it's not considered much
another cool thing to witness firsthand was the incredible gaps in technology between games, from one year to another, this is especially true in the 1995-2005 (give or take) decade, think about the differences between Doom II and Unreal, Daggerfall and Morrowind, all this came to a stop around the period Half-Life 2/Doom 3 came out, playing them for the first time was like witnessing time travel to the future, the jump in technology was unbelievable, I've yet to experience such a thing with recent releases

Best 90s vidya magazine coming thru.

You talk like a pink haired landwhale.

People in the west who owned a Dreamcast are an incredibly small minority. I never owned a Genesis or a Saturn and was a pretty big Nintendo fanboy at the time. But, randomly, my parents bought me a Dreamcast on the day of the American launch. It's absolutely one of the best home consoles ever released, right up there with the SNES, in my opinion. Makes me wish I had a Saturn to add to my N64 and PS1 when I was a kid.

Honestly, the only game I ever truly enjoyed playing on the Genesis that made me want the system was Splatterhouse.

>AAA games were actually good and tried new things as word-of-mouth was the best way to get good sales.

>Lack of internet (for consoles at least) meant devs actually released polished products with content as it couldn't be patched/added later

>New consoles actually provided significant upgrades and worthwhile new tech for games (compare mgs1 to mgs2)

Quality gaming peaked in the ps2 era. After that it started becoming mainstream and marketing/buying reviews was the new way to make "good" games.

also shareware cd-roms

Nah. Golden age of gaming was 1998-2007. It was the age where triple-A game designers were people who loved the game without any politics involved, but there was enough innovation in technology and game design to begin weeding out a lot of the major faults of early 3D and almost all the faults of 2D gaming. However, this period was marked by the release of portal 1, which isn't to say that portal 1 is bad, but rather it's release attracted a huge influx of non-core gamers that wanted more indie puzzle-platformers and investors started wanting "dat casual bux".

I started with Atari 2600 and NES in late 80s for what its worth. But gaming in the 90's was pretty awesome. Mortal Kombat the coolest game as a kid. When I played Chrono Trigger for the first time my mind exploded. NBA Jam was super fun. Even later stuff like FFVII continued to blow me away. Heck, I remember playing Warcraft 2 and other RTS games almost nonstop on PC, it was like crack to me. My great regret as a kid was I never had a Saturn... but now I have 2 of them. And I'm still having a blast with gaming today, just beat Zelda: Botw and started FFXV.

Gaming magazines in the 90s were the greatest. So much nonsense packed into every page. I wish I'd kept all my old gamepro magazines.

90's arcades, motherfucker, you missed it

man, wish i had kept all my diehard gamefan copies, i m so stupid

PC and arcades reigned supreme. Lots of garbage like sports games and JRPGs started to appear. I honestly think the 80s and 21st century have been better.

>a bunch of sweaty smelly people crowded into a hot room to play a bunch of germ-ridden arcade cabinets
I miss it so much

We had everquest, which I still think was better than vanilla WOW. It was a very good and fun mmo most people here never played. Ot was also late into the 90s (1999) so I was only 10 when I started it.

They'd be 16, you ass fuck.

The only people who have any idea how 90's gaming was were people born in the 80's and I doubt anyone in this thread is older than 27 so you can all stop lying to yourselves to act cool or whatever

ytmnd? I thought everyone came here from new grounds like me, I never even heard of ytmnd until a couple years ago.

88 bitch go suck a dick

fair enough tough guy

But that's not EGM, user.

>1998-2007

Guess how I know you were born in the 90s or were poor?

Born in 88.

I had an NES when I was like 3 or 4, didn't really know what I was doing, but I remember playing Super Mario, Duck Hunt, Mike Tyson's Punch Out and some other games like baseball and shit on it. Then I got a Sega Genesis a year or so later, played the shit out of Mortal Kombat, Streets of Rage and Sonic games, also remember playing Carmen San Diego a lot for some reason. My friend had an SNES, so I'd go to his house to play TMNT, Mario games, Zelda games, etc. Also remember going to arcades to play Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, NBA Jam, Metal Slug, Time Crisis, Area 51, etc. I got an N64 when they came out, played the shit out of Wave Race, Mario 64, GoldenEye, WWF No Mercy, OoT and MM. N64 is really when I hit my stride, I had tons of games. I also had a PS1, but I got it used and it broke pretty shortly after, so I didn't play it much. I was still going to arcades(like Gameworks and Dave and Busters) until like 2003.

Good times.