Can someone explain to me how this game is genre defining? I fail to see what it does new to the open world genre

Can someone explain to me how this game is genre defining? I fail to see what it does new to the open world genre

Allows interactivity with the world in a manner that's as universal as the openness of the world itself.

Did you play it?
You have to play it to understand. It offers freedom unlike any other open world.
It's a meme, but in BOTW, you can literally go anywhere you see.

It's the first open world Zelda game on par with open world games from 2006 onwards. That's it

Meaningless Word vomit

nothing. toddlers thought they could lie about it being GOAT but once it came to pc everyone saw it for what it is. garbage

So? I can do that in Gravity Rush 2 as well.

This.

You can't do the missions in any order in gr2

Maybe you need to toss a few more thousand at that closed source emulator you use

Emphasis on environmental interaction and organic exploration. The problem is that you can't really stuff the game with crap like a Bethesda game. Which is why BotW has considerably less enemy variety.

The interactivity with the world, such as chopping down trees, collecting food items from the environment, and dealing with weather hazards. The climbing mechanic allows you to climb literally almost everything in the game. You can actually see a mountain and then go climb it, actually climb it, not press yourself against it while looking for a point with a low enough inclination for you to ascend.

Just got a switch yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. It gets really slow at parts, but it's still really good.

todd howard triggered

Why would you want to?

>go into a game wanting to hate it
>hate it

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Just cuz

Poor grasp of complex sentences

The game paves new ground in terms of absolute freedom. The very minute the player gets off the plateau, they are quite literally allowed to go anywhere they want if they are determined enough to get there. Now plenty of open world games have done this before, but BotW also has several layers of robust interactivity within the world itself; if you have an idea on how to approach a puzzle, or traversal, or combat, or anything, and you apply enough creative thought, it will probably work. That's pretty spectacular for any game.

>beautiful piano ost
>great visuals
>unparalleled exploration
>truly captures the feeling of being on a journey
it's very comfy. it has thicc boys, too.

Literally nothing.

It was so incredibly overrated Sup Forums stopped all discussion about it after a month.

user, link isn't exactly the image that most people get when you describe a boi as thicc

>It was so incredibly overrated Sup Forums stopped all discussion about it after a month.
and yet this thread was made 6 months later?

It's overrated.

Tiny waist, literal breeding hips, thick thighs, and a plump ass.
He is literally the definition of thicc, user.

It's criticizing the game for being overrated not sucking its dick

I spent a good 3 hours today trying to figure out CEMU so I could play this shit.
>outdated guides that no longer work
>youtube tutorials with people typing text into notepad
>finding shader compilations
>expired links

Finally got everything working but then it crashes at the start and is running at 19 fps so who gives a shit.

Wow, look at those goal posts move!

post more of qt link

If Sup Forums stopped discussing it 5 months ago because it sucks, why do shitposters still feel the needing to criticise the game crying about how overrated it is?

It's super easy. All you need to decrypt the update using a tool such as CDecrypt 1.0b (it's elusive but out there, PM me if you need a link) And there's really only like 4 good graphics packs. The megathread on reddit warns against applying the latest update (v1.20) if you play on CEMU 1.7.5 as it breaks stuff. I personally haven't tried so can't confirm, but be warned.

>Genre Defining

Its not. Its just a good open world game. Thats it. Nintendo faggots and Zelda faggots just blow it out of proportion because its a zelda game.

Zelda's voice acting was horrible by the way. Constant distraction for me.

I feel so many people are claiming this because it's literally the first open world game Nintendo fans have ever played.

ok

Thats not what goal posts mea

I WANT TO ____ LINK

It's actually "open world". There's no RPG system keeping you out of areas. No areas are locked off to the story. The player has access to every item in the game right after the tutorial if they know where to look. It was a very brilliant way to design an open world game but that's basically it. Everything else is parlor tricks. "Fire OMG you can light stuff on fire HOLY SHIT UPDRAFT" it's a gimmick you do it once you've seen all the depth it has to offer. If you condensed an exhaustive reel of all of the shit like that in the game into a video it would be about 15 seconds long.

>Why is thing?
>Because reason!
>But other thing have reason too?
>BUT UNRELATED REASON THAT ISN'T CONNECTED TO WHAT I ORIGINALLY SAID!

????

It somehow got people to shill a weapon durability system.

That not how the conversation went

>Sup Forums stopped all discussion about it after a month.
Where have you been? There are anti shill threads posted by ass blasted S0nyggers on a daily basis, 6 moths after release.

Link is for impregnating

>it's super easy, just go on reddit!
You should go back and never return

>Zelda's voice acting was horrible by the way. Constant distraction for me.
You have voice acting fags to thank for that. For almost a decade there was a constant onslaught of reddit tier complaints about how "there's no excuse not to have voice acting at this day and age." Nintendo thankfully held out for awhile, but eventually buckled, and now here we are.

I like how my map isn't littered with icons before I've explored an area - it actually feels like I'm going on an adventure through uncharted territory, rather than just dashing to a waypoint.

I want to be link.

Nintendo players never played any open world games outside of Nintendo consoles.

You.can.climb.everything

That's basically it. That's the magic recipe of this game.

Name one single game before this where you could climb everything.

I never failed to be reminded how retarded and ignorant youngfags are.

retard

Ass Creed

It's a legit 10/10 for the first 20 hours until quickly dropping into an 8/10 for the rest of the game, at least for me. Overall I'd give it a 9/10 because of moments that go back to a 10/10 like Eventide and Hyrule Castle.

The game was zelda for the first ten mins, but then it disappears as quickly as the old man.

3 divine beasts, 86 shrines, 63 Korok seeds, and the Master Sword finished/acquired. I'm aiming for 100%. I have a feeling I'l have the entire map memorized by the time I'm done.

If I was asked to give the game a review that would be it.

It's fun

Just finished finished the story less than an hour ago. I don't know why so many people complained about ganons second form. I felt his first form was sufficiently difficult even with all 4 divine beasts and his second form was made just to have a more cinematic (in a good way) finale. Over all my three main criticisms of the game overall would be:
>3 out of 4 Divine Beasts were too short. I felt naboris had a pretty good length though
>The blight ganon fights needed could've been more unique and I mean the fight itself not their design
>Test of Strength shrines definitely needed more variety

How are they gonna do the dlc if it takes place after endgame but beating ganon just sends you back to hyrule castle before you fight him?

It was that it was a new standard basically for the genre in terms of game-play quality. There's been a flood of shitty open world adventure games in recent years.

half life 2 had more physics based interaction with the world. fucking kill yourself. it also had level design

/thread

it took nearly all the good ideas scattered around open world games of the past two decades and put them all in a single game. for people who have played most open world games it seems unimpressive, but for people who havn't, BotW makes all those other games completely redundant and obsolete

i fucking weep
these people are literally 14 years old

it definitely makes some great decisions, like what others said about one being able to go anywhere and do any of the missions whenever you want, however it's not great. there's just too many problems in it.
being an open world game, it is another game to have a massive world with mostly meaningless content in it. there are shrines all over the place, but oddly enough, the shrines don't make sense. why are they in the game? they feel so out of place, serving only to take you out of the world so you can do some mediocre "puzzle" for 5 minutes. sure, it's a step above an Ubisoft game, but it's still empty. as for what's good, it's really the main quests, however they just don't last long enough; walking around the vast wasteland is what really takes up so much time.
i also didn't like how it lacked any sort of spectacle the whole game, something the series has always been known for. plus, the only time they played the classic jingle is when you go to the fairy fountains.
however, what's really worst of all is that the framerate is complete fucking shit. that alone proves that critics are fucking retarded and consumers should see them as such.

>i also didn't like how it lacked any sort of spectacle the whole game

Literally not true at all. And the framerate is only constantly bad in like 2 or 3 places.

>only constantly bad in like 2 or 3 places
no it fucking isn't. why does everyone blow shit out their ass when it comes to this game? i've played the game all fucking week, and there's lag all the time in all across the map. and no, it doesn't fucking matter how "bad" the lag is. if the game lags, then the developers clearly didn't fucking do their job.

>that
>hips
I want sticcfags to leave

Maybe you're switch is fucked up.

It works on my machine :)

sure, i bought the game without knowing of the frame rate issues, but i definitely wasn't dumb enough to buy a switch

It's so interactive that it redefined my expectations for how video game systems could work.

You look at the amount of interactions you can have with just an apple and it's staggering, and everything in the game is like that.

I've played it.
That's not genre defining. Good? Yes. OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS IS THE NEXT MAJOR FRONT OF TECHNOLOGY AND DESIGN? No.

Is this link?? Why have they given him womens hips now??

Fucking faggots make your mind up what you want

>Playing the gimped wii u version

>not playing the game on the console it was designed for

I sure hope you played the GC version of TP, user.

>playing a port

>Not being able to play the game outside your house

That's easy. Compare it to any other game and it looks like it's 3 generations ahead

>it took nearly all the good ideas scattered around open world games of the past two decades
except it forgot the one most important thing that a open world game is suppose to have

>content

Aonuma is a cuck. He hates Koizumi's zelda, and has been trying to fuck it up ever since

>ever going outside
fucking normalfags, I swear.

Not sure why but it is always fun to play. The combat mechanics as well as the movement mechanics make it fun. There are bits of goofiness whichadd to it. The thing I hate is that weapons break to quick. Weapons made of metal should not break. At worst they should become dull and you could get them fixed a. High tier bows shouldn't break same with shields.

I'm not exactly an expert on open world games, but what I liked was how the game let me be creative with the way I played it. That and the art style. It actually has one as opposed to just trying to look as realistic as possible. Sick and tired of it.

The whole point of open world is freedom. How can it be more free then something like skyrim where you do the tutorial then you can go do whatever you want?

Daily reminder that BotW isn't just Game Of The Year, it's one of the greatest games if all time.

Sup Forums will never get over the humiliation.

skyrim doesn't let you climb sheer cliff faces, which is extremely limiting as shown by how many people try to abuse horse physics to get around it despite horse physics being tedious to rely on in their own right
and the paraglider means no areas are soft-barred via unavoidable fall damages

Because instead of getting a main questline after the tutorial, you get a singular objective: beat the final boss. You can do it immediately after the tutorial. Everything else is optionally powering up to beat the final boss, the game is extremely true to its premise.

How could someone honestly believe it's the best Zelda game? You'd have to be out of your fucking mind.

It is the best Zelda though. Usurped Majora's Mask as my favorite.

It's not really comparable to traditional Zeldas, but personally it just might be my favourite.

This, it's hilarious how Sup Forums is buttblasted about BOTW. The shit storm for NMH3 and Bayonetta 3 will be fun to watch too.

Typical sonychild can't handle intellectual concepts.

For some people, it just happens to be their favourite game and is coincidentally a Zelda game.

It the Zelda game I've waited 20 years to play. And Nintendo actually lived up to the hype.

It has a gay protagonist

>I fail to see what it does new to the open world genre
it re-designs and overhauls every single detail we've come to expect from open-world shit, and fixes them.

Well not every detail to be fair. But it IS an absolute milestone which elevates the bar for an entire genre.

Nintendo fans are sycophants for new games, what else is new. Remember when people went apeshit over Twilight Princess getting an 8.8?

There's a ZELDA label applied to 'open world'.
You don't need to be the first for the masses to adore you, see iPod / iPhone.
>The problem is that you can't really stuff the game with crap
But there is 900 Korok seeds?
Map is literally stuffed with nine hundred pieces of tree crap.

>every single detail
Care to explain how does that apply to BotW Ubisoft towers or several hundred pieces of useless collectibles?

>Ubisoft towers
Except they're nothing of the sort in BotW. Keep crying.
>several hundred pieces of useless collectibles?
So you're just a salty shit poster. Got it.

Overall it felt like a golden but heavily unpolished formula for open-world games. It was the first open-world game I played that made me realize the concept actually can work well except they clearly didn't thoroughly develop a lot of these ideas or polished them to where they needed to be

I kinda wish a more competent company than Nintendo developed it. I just hope the endless praise from """""professional reviewers""""" isn't going to lull them into the idea that this game was perfect as is, they need to learn where they can progress the concept and perfect the formula for the next game.

>I kinda wish a more competent company than Nintendo developed it.
Bwahahahahahahahahah! Name one.