If it weren't for the artstyle, would anyone care?

If it weren't for the artstyle, would anyone care?

I bet this will come out and be told "that's neat" and quickly forgotten. What the dev should've done is release it out of nowhere with no fanfare.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FMTn926Sc-c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the art style isn't even that good.

You are correct, but that's the point.

It's just a generic game except it has a nice artstyle. But people want it because of the art style.

The Dark Souls of platforming games.

I want it because it's fucking Gunstar Heroes.

XD

I have an irrational fear of that 50s cartoon artstyle and I think it looks slightly interesting, other than the style

I suspect this is fake. VentureBeat is smalltime and they probably saw how many views the Polygon video got.

>50s
It's more 30s-40s

It's less the art style and more the animations.

It's very unique in terms of mimicking those old style cartoons and really do make the game seem really nice. Even if it's not absolutely mind blowing in terms of gameplay and the game ends up just being good and not much more, the people who made it threw so much passion and love into this project that I have to support it.

> What the dev should've done is release it out of nowhere with no fanfare.

Worst business decision ever.

I might still care because I dig boss rush games, but the style is the game's biggest strength. Love me some fucking Fleischer and Avery cartoons and that slightly nightmarish look to some bosses and deep as fuck 'thank you' on a successful revive do a lot for me honestly.

Anti rage, someone actually getting far on one, and beating two bosses

youtube.com/watch?v=FMTn926Sc-c

>No Man's Sky was a good business decision

Cuphead seems to be being upfront with what content is actually in the game.

It's still going to be a 2hr game tops which will trigger the autists here who are just fishing for something to shit on.

Sure, but the hype will kill it once people realize it's a "meh" side scrolling shooter.

Are there even different weapons, powerups or abilities? All I've ever seen is extremely basic platforming and shooting. You have a jump, airdash, and a jump, right? Contra on NES was more complicated.

I know the devs never outright said the gameplay will be all that great, or hyped it, but people are already conflating the art style and hype, with amazing gameplay.

Now post a video that actually has sound.

One of the most memorable games in videogame history is pacman.

It doesn't need to be complicated to be good. And that's a fact.

>If it weren't for the artstyle, would anyone care?
yeah boss rush games still have an audience

they've also been around longer than you've probably been alive too

lol

Pacman was released in 1980. What other competition did it have? What expectations did it have compared to modern day? Now compare that with Cuphead's.

I can play Shovel Knight, Ori, Sonic Mania, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, Limbo, Dustforce. Why would I play Cuphead? For the artstyle, but what else?

This isn't a boss rush game anymore, I think

They've said they have different weapons. The main thing apparently is that they have super attacks with i-frames that are charged up by parrying certain enemy attacks.

>i've never played gunstar heroes: the post

>If it weren't for the chocolate, would anyone care about chocolate cake?

That is the whole fucking point your idiot. It is a very uncommon artstyle for a game and a very uncommon thematic too.

It just need to be an average game to go down as important, just for the artstyle and animation.

>Why would I play Cuphead? For the artstyle, but what else?
the genre of Cuphead is clear and out in the open, if you don't want to play it then what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

it looks really appealing to other people, and you're sitting there with your arms crossed saying other people did it's gameplay better. Like what's the end goal here? it just looks like you're complaining for good reason

Same could be said for every modern game out right now. That's not a good argument user.

How about I change the game?

Mario bros, simple game, requires 2 buttons, you can only move forward, you only get 2 powerups, and the bosses are always the same.

Fuck off. If it fails, that is the one thing it will have going for it is the artstyle, considering how much work went into making it.

My bad. I forgot it's 1983 and Mario Bros just came out.

You're right. Cuphead looks amazing compared to 1983.

imagine being this fucking stupid

Not an argument.

Cuphead will be a nice simple fun game and I will enjoy it

Please tell me how 2D mario games have made any major changes to the formula.

I'd care, because I'm a sucker for Contra or Metal Slug styled games.

could you imagine a Cuphead sequel that's even more balls out than this first game?

the void of Metal Slug's original team leaving the industry has yet to be filled and I'm honestly just happy someone is trying. This shit is like a win for video games, and if you're seeing Cuphead you're in on it. You're a part of this.

Hopefully people buy the game so they can do a sequel that goes nuts. Could do something like Cuphead fighting in levels based on different eras of animation or something.

Cup Head is like Metal Slug? Really?

Found the weeb
Go back to your shitty anime

OP you're really fucking annoying
Enough of this shit already you fucking child

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH JUMP FROM THE FUCKING CUBE YOU STUPID FUCK HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIVE I SHARE OXIGEN WITH STUPID FUCKS LIKE THESE.
JUST
U
S
T

I love Run n Gun so I would care.

I was the only person making Hard Craps threads when it released and Sup Forums supposedly loves ArcSys.

It's 30s. And actually the devs themselves say that the 30s cartoons had a sort of creepiness to them.

Yeah dude, both are run n guns

If you're interested you may also like Dolphin Blue, Demon Front, and Hard Corps: Uprising

Why? I think they look cool

>Contra on NES was more complicated.
No it fucking wasn't
>You have a jump, airdash, and a jump, right?
NO
You also have a parry attack here which serves for filling your meter as well as having a dedicated button to lock you in the spot so you can shoot in 8 directions without moving
You also have super moves and you can revive your co-op partner by parrying his ghost as well as you're able to sacrifice your health to revive him with one HP

This has a lot more to it than Contra

The only thing which is kinda disappointing is that every boss so far seems to be one screen. But I guess that's because the budgets only allows them so far.

Would be cool to see a boss that takes up 4 screens and he changes patterns/attacks/gimmicks depending on the screen/phase or have even a level

>Pacman was released in 1980. What other competition did it have?
Oh naive, naive little kid

>Shovel Knight
So you will play a shitty Ducktales/Megaman ripoff but not a Gunstar Heroes one?
Found the Nint0ddler

Who knows, they seem to have been pretty conservative as far as showing stuff off goes. I'm assuming we've yet to see anything from the late or mid game.

not him but I remember a specific Felix the Cat cartoon I watched as a kid that freaked me out, I'm pretty sure the devil featured in it too.

Nobody said they were uncool.

Well like I said you have to keep in mind that this kind of thing costs a lot of money