What went wrong?

It was shit

Squeenix

Unfinished sequel/DLC bait
oops it didnt sell shit

released on a platform plagued by pirating lowlifes

>doesn't even include the DLC
>have to spend like $80 for the complete version of the game

It's a year-old game? Why wouldn't it be cheap?

I swear Square Enix deliberately sabotaged it
>retarded pre-order scheme that gave it bad press
>barely market the game at all
>add microtransactions in at the last minute to ensure that it gets a bad day 1 reputation
>try to expand a prequel into a whole multimedia franchise so the game's story feels underwhelming
>cancel everything when it doesn't meet absurd sale expectations
the game is a bit better than human revolution btw

Its really not that bad. Its only short if you rush it and only do the story missions.

It was cursed from the start with squeenix jew preordering schemes and just wasnt different enough from HR. Its a shame though because the gameplay and environment attention to detail was great

>Hearing that it was a big game cut into 3 parts pissed off everyone
>Pre order bonus system pissed everyone off
>Aug lives matter was too close to reality for some people
>One hub level when the hubs were the nicest part of HR and everyone lamented Upper Hengsha and Montreal hubs being cut

It was a series of bad decisions.

>Any game goes on sale
>"What went wrong"
Seems original deus Ex is trash too.

yeah, barely any marketing, Squeenix pulled a Konami and sabotaged the game

Deus Ex is 17 years old.

So? I picked it up for 3$, must be garbage.

just like u and ur post number

>cut out half the game so you can sell it as the next game
>people are mad that you cut out half the game
>doesn't make enough money
>now there won't be a next game to sell
Karma's a bitch

This game came out?
I really liked Human Revolution.

>tfw Square Enix killed Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Deus Ex

If you liked Human Revolution you should like this one I guess. I'm amazed at how people shit on this but consider HR a classic when it's just more of the same with some improvements.

The game itself is great, it's just too short for a Deus Ex game, and the story ends on a very unsatisfying note. Even Invisible War, which was even shorter, had more satisfying endings.

Don't forget Thief.

Bad exploitative preorder/DLC model, Squeenix had a misguided desire to turn Deus Ex into their CoD/AssCreed with a goal of yearly/bi-yearly releases.

Can we just talk about how fucking bad the characters were?
There was like 0 effort in making any of them memorable in any way. Compare them to the main cast in HR. I dont remember a single fucking person
The whole game is like that, unmemorable and lame. When the story picks up the game ends and youre cliffhangered into a sequel
Then they cancel the entire series
Everything they shouldn't have done, they did. Its like they did a 180 from what people expected HR to be, then did a 180 again for MD to end up in the dumpster.

they killed Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts too, in spirit

Is it worth £10?

Sqeenix probably just wants to shut their gaijin developers down. They sabotaged Dude Sex with a tremendously detrimental marketing scam and forcing in an immensely jewwy cash shop at the last minute, they sabotaged Hitman with the mandatory online piecemeal episodic release bullshit, they put Thief 4 into the hands of a bunch of dipshits who didn't even know the fundamental gameplay elements a first person sneaking game should have. Any gaijin taking money from Sqeenix should not be under any illusion Sqeenix isn't going to interfere and fuck your game just as badly as they've fuck up their own Final Fantasy.

It had tons of marketing. I actually saw commercials on TV for it.

I haven't played it but from what I understand the story took a nose dive compared to HR, so that's a pretty valid reason. I remember watching some behind the scenes of HR and they were really passionate about the story and the game in general so maybe something changed between the two games. SE fault most likely.

HR had like 17 weapons and MD has 12.

I thought it was pretty good, incomplete story and 'not Deus Ex' aside.

eh sure
you'll have a time with it
not a good time or a bad time, just a time

>the best character in the game is just a character from the first game making cameos

Why is Square Enix wasting millions of dollars to kill their western franchises?

They put too much stock in the mechanical apafield thing.

it's bad and literally unfinished

$15 is too much, wait for it to drop to $5

Odd comparison, but Rising Storm 2 or Mankind Divided?

i doubt 95% sales even exist and you'd make 10 bongs by the time it actually drops to that point

Also reminder that even nu-Lara ended on a cliff hanger and they canned that series also for a planned reboot
Squeenix really do like doing this for some reason

I still remember the bartender from the Hive, the dude in the Sup Forums hat, the Arie Vanbrugen Windmill guy, the Mao chick who leads Tia Yong, Tong Sei Hong and other characters from HR.

The story is God awful, but I'm pretty forgiving of that considering HR's story was also kind of shit and at least they make some nice references to the original game. MD obviously had a lot of work put into it, though it seems they wasted an awful lot of time an in house engine. It's the kind of game that should've come out maybe 2-3 years later rather than 5, or changed more considering the time frame.

had to google wtf Rising Storm 2 was.

would you rather have a multiplayer game that's already dead or a decent single player experience?

Oblivious bigshot ceo ordered the game be sold in 3 parts

Probably the latter.

Square is gonna go bankrupt and close soon.

History tends to repeat itself. There are many games that ended on cliffhangers and never got sequels. The thing is, people have to actually buy a game to be hooked by a cliffhanger. If devs rely on a cliffhanger to move the series, they fail every time.

Daria and Otar were probably the only memorable characters, and you only encounter them in sidequests.

Come to think of it, the sidequests were amazing and far surpassed the main story quest

Literally the same thing as Human Revolution with very minor additions that somehow took 5 years to make.

They forgot that the original deus ex was about popular conspiracy theories being true, not muh 2deep4u allegory for social justice and racism with tacked-on hollywood tier cringewriting and plot development.

I would have gotten MD if I actually had the console for it. But I didn't, so I didn't get it. Maybe they should have made a version for last gen, like the original DX did with their PS1 version.

>make three Deus Ex games
>each has its plot thread resolved so the series continuity feels 'complete'
>make dumb mobile game with a 'to be continued' ending
>sequel gets cancelled
>make mainline sequel with a 'to be continued' ending
>whole series get cancelled

>It took them 5 years to make 1/3 of a game

they worked on a new engine and tools because they presumed they were going to be expanding the franchise into regular sequels with MD as the pilot project
then it bomb and now I guess the engine is going to be used to make capeshit

jews didn't like theur plans leaked so they aborted game halfway

the game has as much content as HR, the story is just 1/3 of a story

I really liked MD. Not as much as HR, but I thoroughly enjoyed it despite its shortcomings.

>Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was the best-selling retail game in the UK in its week of release, but its launch week sales failed to surpass that of its predecessor, Human Revolution.[30] It was the third best-selling game in the US in August 2016 according to NPD Group.[31]

It was the third best game and it still wasn't enough? Fucking hell Squeenix, you set the bar too high.

I'm amazed at it even doing that well considering how badly they fucked up in promoting it. SE's bar is pretty much "number 1 and kills every other competing franchise".

>Steam
Die

Well, Square usually use per quarter at the very least, so only doing well for a month out three is bad for them.

Denuvo DRM stunted MD hard. HR got lots of converts after the press demo leaked and everyone was hyped for the full game by a combination of playing the demo and word of mouth.

they didn't forget, they just didn't care

If you read into the dev process, you'll find that the mechanical apafield crap was coined by some black and asian devs. That's where the SJW shit came from.

Mankind Divided, easily. RS2 is a clunky piece of shit that has 200-800 players outside of Free weekends IF THAT.

It still crashes for me during the opening cutscene.

Funny that it naturally ended up being taken the wrong way by SJWs (as is everything). I really wish EM had better writers, the gameplay is serviceable but the whole aug/mechano-racism angle is so fucking contrived and they basically neglect every theme of the original. Everybody you talk to just wants to drone on about augs. The only thing they seem to get right is not outright retconning shit from established lore (aside from the weird tech gap).

That's a weird thing about MD, I can run it no problem with a 1050 ti on high with some stuff turned off, but lots of people with way better PC's than mine still have crashes.

People are giving Squenix way too much credit in saying they deliberately sabotaged it. They just really are that dumb and greedy.

It was chopped into pieces in a half-assed/misguided attempt to make it an "episodic" game (and to sell the pieces individually as DLC). In addition, the blatant political slant heavy-handing a then-recent thing was too on the nose for even the most left-wing of people. On top of all of that, Squeenix had unrealistically lofty sales expectations for it similar to EA with Dead Space 3, then threw up their hands and shut the whole thing down when it predictably didn't measure up.

Nips cannot stand Westerners. Even if they're working under the same umbrella they will see you as competition and seek to destroy your product even if it kills theirs. You have to understand this.

See also: Sega

Apparently it was their EU division that made the call.

European branches for game publishers seem to be the most incompetent.

Yes

Nips have been very nice to me in my experience and I like them a lot.

>What went wrong?
Nobody wanted to augment their preorder.

I really like how Jensen's face looks in MD's polished graphics compared to HR. He just looks so -tired-, especially with his shades off.

SqueEU wanted a subscription based game play to keep people coming back. They derailed the campaign for Breach Mode.

It backfired spectacularly and they tried to blame the dev for their fuckup.

Do you work with corporate nips? Normies and shut-ins are fine. It's their business world I have a problem with.

GOAT grooming standards, though.

>European branches for game publishers seem to be the most incompetent.
It's true. Sega of Europe were the ones who insisted the pc release of Sonic Mania get a two week delay so they could hastily implement denuvo at the last minute and then turned around and tried to imply that it was the dev's fault.

>denuvo

Has it ever helped more than it harmed?

I don't know why you guys play up the story themes of the game, I doubt anybody was spooked of by that most people just thought it was dumb.

sounds like most of their western properties
>great glorious Nippon vidya gets 7 figure advertising and budget
>baka gaijin western games get string and a penny
its like the company is being ran by those autistic weebs who screech about Marxist western female design

An okay game that took 5 years to make
You can't justify that many resources to make something that wasn't even better than HR
DE is dead, oh well

People feel quite strongly about race these days, thanks to the media whipping it up all the time. Everyone feels like they're oppressed.

Fuck you I liked it.

Sure it can never compare to Human Revolution, but it was still a solid action/stealth game.

I was hesitant to pick it up during the steam summer sale due to all the negativity surrounding it, but I am glad that I but the bullet and got it for $15.

Of all the things wrong with the game it barely got a mention other than that it was stupid. I doubt they lost many sales because their setting was too political, people expect video game stories to be retarded.

People want to play vidya to escape reality, not be reminded of it. Crazy conspiracies is escapism, while racial political themes are not.

I guess in principle they do but all I'm really saying is that it was a non-factor in the game bombing. I haven't really heard of anybody having a serious problem with it, not nearly as much as people simply because pissed the story didn't go anywhere or that the performance was garbage. The microtransactions that you wouldn't even notice got it more bad press.

FPBP

So does MD only have one hub world?

Heng Sha in HR was comfy as fuck

Does anyone know if the DLC's still reset your augments and inventory when you play each episode?

Give it to me straight, Sup Forums. I enjoyed DE:HR a lot and this game looks interesting. I've heard the negative opinions about this game and they have prevented me from buying this game. Is this game worth buying at $15 or below? I assume it's still on sale (if not, it'll certainly go back on sale soon)

Yes. It's bigger than Detroit and Heng Sha but it's still only one and inadvertently emphasizes the limited scope of the plot compared to the other games.

>Is this game worth buying at $15 or below?
Yes. It's still a decent game at the very least.

I bought it at release for $30 and thought it was pretty good. In my opinion it's basically as good as HR but I don't really give a shit about plot.

Word of mouth is especially important to DX. Human Revolution got a very nice boost from all the people who played the leaked press demo. The development of MD, by comparison, was full of controversies that created negative chatter about the game. Mechanical Apafield and aug lives matter were just two parts of it, but they were parts nontheless.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly pick it up when it goes on sale next.

Very minor parts of it, the cliffhanger ending alone dominated the negative appraisal of its story.

I was talking about the game as a whole and about the lead up to its release. The short story thing came afterwards.

This is one of the things that make MK so much worse than HR. So many characters were memorable in HR like Pritchard and Sarif.

Microtransactions in a single player game immediately killed all interest in this.

I pre-ordered it on steam, it has been the only game I ever refunded, and I was seriously considering buying the season pass because of how much I liked HR. I don't regret not playing it, I will not support that shit.

>those loading times between relatively small areas

disgusting