Hey Sup Forums. Having played through Bloodborne recently, I realized that I hate minimaps, maps, and waypoints...

Hey Sup Forums. Having played through Bloodborne recently, I realized that I hate minimaps, maps, and waypoints. Above all else I love exploring in games and finding cool stuff on my own, and I like being forced to memorize things.

Could you please recommend me some games that don't have waypoints and minimaps? I guess I'm looking for games that treat me like a human adult with an adult human brain.

Modded Witcher 3 is pretty great. Minimap serves zero purpose, the game is 100% better without it.

Morrowind I guess.

Most modern games base quests/missions off mini-map markers. So even turning them off it's a bit of a pain.

Darkwood

SMT 1&2 have no minimap as long as you don't cast the mini map spell.

Reminder that excessively playing games that rely on waypoints and map markers for you to do anything actually causes brain damage and people who defend quest marker systems are literal retards.

Absolver might be worth a try since it doesn't have a minimap and it's got a faint Dark Souls feel to it. The closest thing you've got to a map is a slab in the central hub that doesn't tell you jack shit aside from which bosses you've killed. The map's probably a fraction of the size of Dark Souls' world but after putting five hours in and being thoroughly fucking lost at this point I still feel like I've got a fair bit left to explore.

Its a bad game though. 3 hours long with laggy PVP that'll be dead very quickly because of that. Also a real lack of weapons and a confusing, stupid combat system.

Literally the only things going for that game is the artstyle (Though characters look shit as you can't dye your outfit) and the directional blocking (Which is garbage still because of laggy pvp)

I thought of this game as well, but i didnt want to bump such a worthless thread.

Awful opinion, I can only imagine the boring person you must be RL.

Do you like Orienteering?
Play some Miasmata.
It's a great falling off cliffs simulator.

> Also a real lack of weapons
Well yeah, the emphasis is on martial arts and hand to hand combat. The weapons only serve to act as sort of buffs that can back fire on you. You've still got a fucking insane amount of moves to make up for it.

>a confusing, stupid combat system.
Nigga what? It took me maybe 5 minutes to figure out how the combat deck worked and maybe 20 minutes to start putting together a basic deck that I liked. It's not that hard to figure out

>Ripping someone open in PVP
>Dishonorable coward starts using a sword
>Smack it out of his hands
>Steal it
>Finish him off with this own weapon

>directional blocking
No? There's no directional blocking.

>confusing, stupid combat system
Maybe if you're fucking retarded

>laggy
When you actually get mathe against people in the same region it's generally fine.

The real issue is the constant crashing/game gets stuck in a load screen or searching for a match. Literally every second pvp match I have to restart the game.

Thief and Deus Ex are the first games that come to mind.

Minimaps/Maps or just cancerous trackers that tell you what to do because there companies try to appeal the most retarded audience like ?

mountblde

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

I only played it because people said it was simmilar to Deus Ex (which I loved), and it was in many ways, and what I least expected to hook me hard, the setting, is what really got me.

>games that treat me like a human adult with an adult human brain.
Yooka-Laylee.

That's the reason why casuals didn't like it.

It's been a while since I played Mount and Blade but don't you navigate mainly via a map?

>Most modern games base quests/missions off mini-map markers. So even turning them off it's a bit of a pain.

This. Its lead to fairly bland lifeless level/world design too.

Vanilla WoW

gothic 1,2, 2+notr

Baldur's Gate

it's been recommended, you've probably already played it, but Morrowind

You don't need to mod the game to remove it.

that's a shitty platformer with no world building and all of its shit just thrown around randomly, though.

I don't get this

There are plenty of examples of shit in the witcher 3 that you absolutely need a map for.

I don't see how it's more fun to press M and wait a second, find your destination on the map, wait another second to close the map, walk a few meters, press M again etc.

Playing Red Dead without the minimap was nice.
Memorized landmarks.
Enemies werent fucking shown nor could you tell how many there were left. You would shot a buzzard and have to see where it fuckings lands. If it falls behind some bushes and you get turned around its a nightmare to find. Plants were also hard to see.

The original Metroid

sounds dumb
I gotta go to work in 20, I'd rather not spend it doing LITERALLY nothing and instead just make progress

King's Field 4 has an incredibly complex dungeon with no minimap. You can buy maps of varying quality, but they're optional and you need to access them from your inventory to look at them.

>There's no directional blocking.
There is literally directional block, absorb and dodge. Did you just ignore the tutorial area?

This. All the King's Field games does this.
Also, Shadow Tower and Shadow Tower Abyss got no maps whatsoever.

Fucking this.

Because it tears away your visual focus.

I played Witcher 3 and all of its DLC. The game is beautiful and the detail is incredible but I mostly remember it as a -blur-. Its hard to recall any specific location and even the cities are vague to remember.

This is because the entire time you are going to any objective - you are not following the road (horse auto-rides), and you are not looking at your character.

Your eyes are glued to the minimap in the top corner to see where the fuck you need to point your character-pointer in order to get to the quest quickly.

Modded witcher with no minimap + other small quality of life improvements (Witcher Senses) are a godsend.

When all you do is follow a minimap it doesnt feel like you EXPLORE anything.

Give me journals to reads, maps to OPEN and mark. Locations/landmarks to remember.

Not a live-tracking GPS.

Imo its the biggest flaw in W3 (i found combat dull, but passable), despite how much I enjoyed the rest.

How many people that played W3 remember the layout of Novigrad or Skellige's main castle?

Maps are minimaps are fantastic and should be in every game that features exploration, unless it needs to be REALLY atmospheric.

I do agree that waypoints and shit ruin it. Since you posted a WoW image, I really enjoyed in early wow how you just had to go looking for the shit you needed to do instead of opening up the map and finding it.

But the problem isn't the map, it's the marks on it.

You can use a mod that adds a Skyrim style compass tracker that you can toggle on a hotkey. Its a requirement given the shitty quest details as you said, but you can just toggle it on, get an idea, turn it off and continue etc.

Having a minimap on nonstop distracts you like crazy, its seriously a world of difference playing through without one, you don't tunnel verison the UI as much.

I also dislike minimaps. But in a game like Witcher 3 what could be a better alternative?

Also quests telling you where to go.

>Current game
Speak to Jim
>A game with effort put in
Speak to Jim in the city, redheaded bloke, has a stall at the fishmarket.

One line of quest dialogue and boom you don't need a shitty minimap.

>One line of quest dialogue and boom you don't need a shitty minimap.

In older games that might have been the case but I think in games as big and detailed as Witcher 3 the dialogue is gonna have to be extremely detailed in order to figure out where the fuck to go.

>Go to the fishmarket
>Go to the south fishmarket in novigrad.

its really not that hard user. All it would need is a 'Journal' mechanic that at least shows the location of where you received a quest.