Was it worth replacing Snake in the end?

Was it worth replacing Snake in the end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4ZGXeJMT8tI
youtube.com/watch?v=64zjP25Qa6A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

of course not. it was a huge fucking mistake.

Yes. David Hayter was going downhill in terms of voice acting quality. Watch videos of the first three Metal Gears, then watch footage of Peace Walker. massive drop in quality.
Anyone who says it wasn't his fault just want to throw the blame onto others when it really was Hayter simply getting worse at the role over time.
Plus it's really hard to picture Hayter with how they redesigned Big Boss, and they had to have his voice change eventually. Big Boss doesn't sound like Solid Snake 1:1 forever.

It might have been justifiable and at least backed up the claim that they needed an actor because things were even more cinematic and serious and shit if Snake actually had more than half a dozen lines in the entire fucking game, and any other acting beyond staring into the distance looking slightly confused

he lad like 6 lines in the whole game, hard to say really. from what we got in in GZ he made a decent older big boss.

The problem is that Keifers face and voice won't be reused in the MGS games to follow. You /know/ Konami's not paying up for that shit. So we'll be stuck with another face and VA. Over and over and over again most likely.

You simply don't replace a fan favourite actor.

>if Snake actually had more than half a dozen lines in the entire fucking game, and any other acting beyond staring into the distance looking slightly confused
t. literal brainlet

No. V is still just as corny as any MG and everyone besides Sutherland is still American dub-tier. I felt second-hand embarrassment that he was involved in this. I think having Hayter would have made the twist a little more meaningful as a long time fan.

I mean, there likely won't be any more MGS games so that's not something that we need to worry about. Konami has shown with the Pachinko machine and Metal Gear Survive they don't give a shit about Metal Gear and are just trying to go for low effort cash grabs.

Also, funny enough the plot was a perfect opportunity to have Hayter in the game. As the original Big Boss. In the lead in to the game it was super obvious that part of the twist was that you weren't the "real" Big Boss, and it seemed like Hayter was in on it and hamming it up by acting upset. It's a shame he wasn't part of the twist and actually was just super pissed off.

Am I the only one who didn't hate his performance in Peace Walker but felt 3 was the worst one?

If I were to rate the quality:
> 1>2>4>PW>3

>Am I the only one who didn't hate his performance in Peace Walker but felt 3 was the worst one?
Yes, actually.

Kiefer did fine when Kojima actually let the nigger speak. Would I have preferred Hayter, yes but i'm not going to whine and cry and say what we got instead was awful.

What makes you think there will be any MGS games to follow?
They won't make another game with these same characters, and if they do, they will be huge flops because everyone knows the "genius" behind the MGS series has left Konami.

Also, to be on-topic, I have always found Hayter's voice acting kind of cringy. In MGS1 it was by far the best, and it kinda fit the theme of the game, but by MGS3 he started to sounds like a parody of himself.
In addition to mediocre VA, the writing of the whole series is super cringe. It's interesting, but seriously, lots of shit are just things people would never say in real life.

Also Raiden's VA in MGS2 always seemed to have the wrong tone of voice and intonate the wrong words when speaking his lines.

I wonder how much budget Kojima burned to get those few dry monotone lines of dialogue.

Yes, Kiefer Sutherland has an amazing voice and does Big Boss extremely well compared to Hayter.

she shuvive?

hayter sounds like he was drowning in a tub throughout peacewalker, the guy was done.

OUTSTANDING MARINES
OUTFUCKINGSTANDING
WE KICKED ASS

But Sutherland was Big Boss in GZ as well as him in the Hospital.

Thank God the actual VA for Snake never got involved with this trash so it was never canon.

Why couldn't they have just let Hayter voice Ishmael, but kept Sutherland for Venom? The dude was in a coma for 9 years, of the few people who knew him personally, who would seriously question his identity just because of a more gravely and less verbose tone?

lmao imagine being this butthurt

Because Big Boss was never supposed to sound like Solid Snake forever. In 2 and 4 he sounds entirely different from Solid, it was starting to get weird that the two still sounded the same despite the massive age gap

Keep in mind they kept the original Japanese VA for the role, so only Hayter got forced out.

BRING IN THE DOGS!!

The Japanese VA actually kept up a certain level of quality and consistency.

Konami has job offers for MGS6.

It would've cost him more to hire Hayter. Returning actors cost more and more with each new installment, especially main ones.
Remember that unlike Hayter, Sutherland also did face capture for the 3-4 hours of cutscenes in the game.

Dear god they're going to ruin the series even more than it already has been

So did Hayter
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZGXeJMT8tI
The shitty voice direction wasn't his fault. He's done the MGS1 Snake voice recently at conventions.

MGS5 already hit rock bottom, it can't get any worse. We can only improve from here.

There's a difference between doing select long-used and practiced snippits of lines vs full voice acting, that's not good evidence for it not being his fault.
It's going to get worse. Konami will pull even more microtransaction and add-on bullshit and the story will get even worse without Kojima's team, as much as he fucked up. The gameplay in V was good mechanically but I can't expect that to remain if they do a 6

But it was much better than most of the games before it. Sure, it had other issues not present in most of the previous ones, like mediocre pacing and a side storyline before the ending that isn't continued, but the overall tone, structure and general production values have gone up.

It really wasn't. The gameplay got old fast, 99% of the gear was useless, the soundtrack was shit compared to previous games, the story wasn't there, Skullface was a complete joke, and the most memorable moment of MGS5 is only remembered because it's a failure of epic proportions - that fucking car ride with Skullface.

In all 4 previous MGS games you have very clear moments that everyone remembers. Whether it be the death of Sniper Wolf or "it's not over yet!!" in MGS1, the conversation with the AI at the end in MGS2, the ladder scene or the final boss in MGS3, the microwave scene or the fight against liquid/post credits scene in MGS4 - there's always something there.

For MGS5 though, there's no such thing. The new characters are complete shit and serve no purpose in a game that was supposed to tie in the knots that were hanging. Again, Skullface, who looked extremely promising in GZ, ended up being one of the worst """villains""" I've ever seen in my life. That was actually pathetic. I really have no idea what the fuck Kojima was thinking.

I do actually remember Ocelot chastising me when I played MGSV the other day because I hadn't played in a year and was setting a bad example for the men by being gone for so long with no word. Odd that it'll probably be the lasting memory.

Are you genuinely fucking retarded?
Shining Lights isn't memorable? The vengeance part isn't memorable, with them chopping up Skull Face? Paz isn't memorable? The ending isn't memorable?

Do you always outright lie to yourself like this?

Skull Face wasn't a joke, especially with a series that had completely awful villains like MGS4 Goodgameman and Volgin.

>the story isn't there
Sure buddy, it doesn't have 12 hours of cutscenes with boring, redundant, unskippable exposition (that is now optional, in casette tapes) so it doesn't have a story. Really shows how intelligent you are.

I recommend you listen to the Extended OST. That's where most of the tracks are. The released OST is lacking.

Isn't that why they couldn't afford to finish the game?

No, they couldn't finish the game because you're gay.

How the fuck is Shining Lights memorable? The scene makes no fucking sense whatsoever and it's cringe at best. The mission that precedes it also lacks any impact because every soldier in MB is just a number and name on a fucking sheet, you as the player never get to establish any relationship with them to ever feel bad or impacted about killing them all when they get the virus.

It's terribly written and realized. As for your other "memorable moments", I'm just going to assume you have downs because I think that's a requirement to find those cutscenes memorable. Either that or a severe case of waifufag.

And yes Skullface is up there with Hot Coldman on the list of shittest MGS villains.

Hayter should have never played Big Boss in the first place there's no reason he should have the same voice as solid snake

>reminder that Jack Bauer went more nuclear than Venom Snake ever did

Bad taste incarnate.
>makes no fucking sense
Top fucking kek. Are you by any chance also the user who doesn't know what happened to the second virus vial? Cause seriously, you might actually have brain damage.

Hayter can still do the voice though, he was just directed to do that in peace walker

Dunno who that is. I'm the user who actually spent time understanding Skullface's reasoning.

>he was just directed to sound bad
Hayterfags are delusional. Just because he can say a handful of select phrases fine isn't proof that his overall voice acting skills have gone down.
Hayter's Snake voice was starting to not fit the actual games anyways and I cannot imagine it fitting V at all

and did a poor job of it, by the looks of it.

that's literally his reasoning
it's just retarded.

>people say mgs can't go on without kojimbo

Wasn't portable ops made mostly without him and that turned out one of the better handheld mgs games. Better than peace Walker too.

I never liked Big Boss and Snake having the same actors, so the change itself never bothered me. I think Kiefer did an alright job, anyway.

Portable Ops had fucking awful gameplay, though the storyline was interesting
Ghost Babel is by far the best handheld metal gear game and the best 2d metal gear in general

Portable Ops was terrible though

>storyline was interesting
I thought Portable Ops had a terrible story. Gene was a bad, lazy idea.

>Again, Skullface, who looked extremely promising in GZ, ended up being one of the worst """villains""" I've ever seen in my life.
I found him a lot more interesting in TPP than in GZ, if only due to a couple conversations.

>Skull Face wasn't a joke
He ran around dressed like a sheriff with some stupid little mask and his preferred weapon of choice was a mare's leg. His motive made no fucking sense (Germans, Hungarians and Russians fucked me? Time to destroy English) and neither did his plan. His super weapon relied on him being more asshurt than everybody else nearby, destroying English to fuck over Zero again made no sense because he already ruined Zero and seized control of Cipher, which should have given him more than enough resources to destroy the AIs and put down the Internet, and his "fail-safe nukes" didn't mean shit when 25,000 old nukes were going to be up for grabs after he killed the US and UK. He was a Saturday morning cartoon villain, and at least people like Volgin had 'reasonable' plans that wouldn't have fallen apart at step 1.

This

Kojima has gotten insanely arrogant. He's George Lucas and Ridley Scott tier.

Kojima didn't replace him because he IS Snake.

Made no fuckin difference.
You could get me to play Snake and nobody would notice. It's just people fanboying over David Hayter.

>and at least people like Volgin had 'reasonable' plans that wouldn't have fallen apart at step 1.
What the fuck even was Volgin's plan? Far as I could see it he wanted to use the Shagohod to somehow seize control of Russia right? Then what?

Sutherland is the last thing wrong with MGSV. His delivery is on another level compared to one trick vidya meme Hayter. Blame pretentious retard Kojima for another pseudo intellectual script.

pseudointellectual script is expected, even desired for an MGS game. The problem was more that it was half a game, a quarter of the game really, considering that the second half is mostly rehash of the first. The game just stops right when the story is starting to get interesting. It's like a big fuck you to the players. The fact that we have cutscenes of the cut content just rubs it in. Maybe that's what they meant by the phantom pain.

Why didnt Kojima just tell David that he had to find another voice actor because the main character this time is not really Big Boss?
Like, just record a few lines for the real Big Boss scenes and leave it at that.
Theres was no need to end the friendship as bad as they did.

There was never any friendship
They met twice over the course of 30 years
Kojima doesn't five a fuck about the English actors
Or at least he didn't before he got the Hollywood fever and his head got stuck 30m up his ass

>friendship
hayter kept asking for more and more fucking money and dropped the ball with later games.
I swear the victimizing of Hayter is ridiculous, he's a whiny bitch who deservedly was dropped, anyone who has seen his twitter posts from a year or two back should see just how petty Hayter is.

They won't listen. MGSV literally destroyed the MGS fanbase. Retards defend it and Kiefer and Kojima, real fans acknowledge where it all went wrong.

He wanted to use Shagohod and the funds in the Philosophers' Legacy to destabilize the world and give the Soviet Union enough of an edge to win WW3.

He did not take control of Cipher, only of the african branch
Sigint was handling things while the AIs were being prepared and they already had a whole infrastructure ready for them to start controlling the world; Skullface's plan of destroying the english language and arming every country was desperate and stupid, but the whole point was that with each country having lost the most prevalent common tongue and having the means to secure their indipendence they could not be controlled by an artificial system based on communication & informations.
Metal Gear was meant as a show to make countries afraid of new technologies and start a new arms race between smaller countries, to which he would have sold his new type of nuke, Sahelanthropus was never the real point of it all.
In the end his plan partially succeeded because, with the first "public" appearence of a Metal Gear (I guess the PW outer ops don't count, I don't fucking know) he contaminated the Patriots with his meme, which is what leads them to produce more and more metal gears through the decades (REX, RAY and leading up to the Gekkos when guerrilla warfare and terrorism became more prevalent), with the first of then being constructed by the son of Huey himself (TX55 and D were built by Big Boss and not by the Patriots)

This. He was such a fucking baby about it.

They could've save some money on staying with Hayter but I'm not sure the game would have been any better. The core design philosophy the open-world barren sandbox stealth was the issue.

there's a certain irony in someone who refuses to acknowledge that hayter would have been infinitely worse in V saying others won't listen

>save some money
Repeating voice actors especially over such a long term are more expensive, and Hayter was continuously asking for more money on top of that.

good thing the series is dead

They would have lost more money on Hayter because VA union regulations stipulate that reprisal of a role has to be met with a pay rate increase.

snake in MGS5 had a noticeable lack of dialogue that hurt the game. And any time he spoke was weird as fuck because I just heard Jack Bauer and was instantly taken out of the scene.

He struck a weird spot with 3, it sounds like Solid, but more smug and gravelly. My personally favorite is PW of course, but that's only because I played it first and it rubbed off on me.

Hayter's voice would not fit with Venom Snake. It would just be goofy with him.

>Solid, but more smug and gravelly
Because it wasn't Solid, that's the point

People actually liked Hayters' voice? His voice NEVER matched the character model of ANY of the Snakes.

Now we finally got someone with some bass in their voice that sounds like their balls have actually dropped. Based Sutherland saved the character and it makes sense because you're playing a doppelganger that whole time anyway.

Funny, I never hear people saying Troy Baker should have been replaced by Ocelot's original actor.

Test

I'll test you you cunt

I was mad at first but then got over it. Snakes voice isn't the defining attribute of an MGS experience. Plus how he bitched afterwards made me lose respect for him.

Skull Face was Kojima's stand in for forum posters. he tried to disguise his hideous visage with idiotic accessories, had a bizarre and contradictory ideology that assumed behaviors of millions of people in a way only an unsocialized nerd would, and rehearsed a monologue for 9 years that made no sense and ended up being delivered to a guy who didn't care and wasn't even the intended listener

fucking
thank you

I thought Baker sucked balls as Ocelot and I typically like him as a VA. His accent is just all over the place. Codec Ocelot and cutscene Ocelot almost sound like different characters to me.

they're not the same character, there was no replacement in the first place
it was alright considering the small amount of dialog comiing from big medic

Kiefer was a better snake.

>Codec Ocelot and cutscene Ocelot almost sound like different characters to me

They really do. That gravely voice he has in the cutscenes is great.

his big boss in the truth tapes was better than literally anything hayter ever did, with the possible exception of the "war has changed" monologue

But you got to admit Skullface's VA was on point. I wasn't even paying attention to the batshit content but the over the top theatrics and dark soothing tones kept me interested in every line the guy put in. Legitimately 5 star performance. I hope he gets more roles in better vidya.

Or he was just a bad villain

Yes because Sutherland Rejected Joosten

I fuckimg loved how much ham he put into shouting the WHOOOOOOO line. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I get the impression he really enjoyed recording his dialogue.

i think about him a lot, and how literally nothing he wanted happened
contrast him with volgin. a queer stalinist whose into s&m and a bunch of other weird kinks. forums poster vs gay chad

And MGS2 was just a bad game.

I'm glad we could agree on this

>A LOT OF GOOD MEN DIED TODAY
>ALL FOR NOTHING

Yes

>Kiefer Sutherland has an amazing voice
This desu. Hayter has been shit since Snake Eater. youtube.com/watch?v=64zjP25Qa6A