So im still on the fence about getting a switch

so im still on the fence about getting a switch

i need to know, does this game have heart and soul

Other urls found in this thread:

zeldainformer.com/aonuma-there-was-no-inspiration-taken-from-skyrim-for-zelda-u/
mynintendonews.com/2016/06/26/aonuma-says-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wasnt-inspired-by-skyrim-or-the-witcher/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's shit. Once you've done the plateau you've basically already done everything you can in this game. There is never really anything new after that.

Reading all the criticism has really soured me on it.

Wait till December sales. This game is really good and will last you a while but once its over there aren't many games to pick from. There are a few good games coming out late this year so by December it will be worth it

It's one of the few open world games where it actually feels good to wander around and explore.

Yes, it's the best first party nintendo game in years. A lot of care went into building the game

plays like a 3D version of the first Zelda
very barebones in that regard, but good if you like the feeling of isolation

I think it's really unlikely anything Switch related will be on sale this year, unless inventory really starts cluttering up

>does this game have heart and soul
Yes

All of its content is collecting 2 items the entire game, with nothing notable in between and shit combat. Go look at gameplay videos and watch someone press forward for 10 minutes to reach the same point of interest as last time, for the same reward.

Probably one of my least favorite games this year, almost put me to sleep. I didn't even finish all the shrines, it got so boring.

I enjoyed it all the way through but I can't see myself playing it again. Maybe that's not really an issue, but the replay value is terrible in my opinion.

I dont see how there is payoff for exploring when you get the same rewards everytime. Are you amused by set pieces and visuals?

The Sup Forums greentext list made by people who make it a part of their daily schedule to hate certain games as much as possible? Yeah get your recommendations from them.

That's an absolutely absurd statement. The plateau is the worst part of the game and the quicker you're off it the better. It gets significantly more interesting afterwards.

If you can't see playing a game as anything beyond "do task, get reward", maybe you should take a break from playing them for a while. You've desensitized yourself to the whole experience.

>the same
That's not true though.

And you trust the opinions of this here fair imageboard why? and yes it has plenty of heart and soul as far as I'm concerned

>does this game have heart and soul
yes but for all the wrong reasons. the dungeons and shrines are ass. there are no major items to discover and play around with past the 3 or so tools you get at the start. but you will have a great time just wandering around, the world is the best ever made in an open world game. the sense of explorations is amazing

if you were smart you would wait for the next revision of the Switch though. nintendo always updates hardware and you can bet switch slim or whatever will be a big improvement considering how shoddy the switch is currently. and no reason to get one now for one fucking game. if odyssey turns out to be an amazing 10/10 then maybe (even then wait a few months for the real opinions to come out, nintendo always gets it's dick sucked at first)

plenty of other shit to play in the meantime

I got bored after the first 2 dungeons and stopped after the third.

Exploration is shit because you've seen it all by the time you've completed the first dungeon and you can't tell if the next place you explore is going to have a bunch of content or just going to be a vast empty space that the devs used as filler.
Enemies for the most part are copy/paste and there is zero reason to engage them.
Some of the worst boss fights of the series.
All sort of preparation is dropped by the time you complete your first dungeon as you'll have permanent items to combat cold/hot areas and they hand them out to the player way to easily.

It's one of the better games of the year but I regret falling for the hype and getting a Switch for it.

Its pretty good. If you're still unsure you could wait for Mario Odssey next month too.

It's nothing like Zelda, that's its biggest problem. It's just not a Zelda game. It's Skyrim with a Zelda skin

LoZ you went from dungeon to dungeon and you'd find items that would allow you to go to new places, like the ladder, raft, candle, etc. BotW dumps every tool you ever get in the first hour and the rest of the game is just increasing your hearts and stamina

The plateau is the best bit because the glider, powers and armour sets trivialize exploration into nothing after the plateau.

>I got bored after the first 2 dungeons and stopped
>and you can't tell if the next place you explore is going to have a bunch of content
you're a dim one

>It's Skyrim with a Zelda skin

this is my fear

first impressions
>wow, I can do so much different shit
>wait, this huge area was this tiny bit of the map? holy fuck
>all this exploration on my god

midway
>most shrines are neat-o
>love these dungeons, rather short but their gimmicks are really cool and they make me think about the structure layout
>every now and then another NEAT/TECHNOLOGY moment
>oh dear god what the fuck is that a dragon
>collectibles everywhere

eventually
>ok, I'm getting tired of the game, I guess I'll just finish it now

so long as you go in without knowing much about it, you'll find plenty to enjoy, and when you start getting tired of the game you can focus on finishing it so it won't get stale, I really recommend the game, despite its glaring flaws

You can dream.

Reading comprehension

Iwata kicked the bucket because your shill game isn't on point.

It absolutely has a heart and soul. You can feel the passion and love they poured into it. If you'll like it or not is another story.

Yes, hearts are used as your health meter and you meet the souls of a handful of deceased characters.

I have said this before but
the problem with botw is that it is a zelda game. Zelda games are meant to be linear, not open world. It just doesn't work. fighting is kind of lame imo, the game is kind of too easy, the characters are bland as fuck, link is boring and shows no personality, side quests are literally pointless and just leave you empty (you get either rupees or a weapon that is probably worse than what you have), a lot of shrine quests are just a chore, but god is the world and the exploration of it amazing. I just wish this game could have been so much better, with unique weapons that don't break unless it made sense (like sticks, those always break) sidequests that are actually rewarding, and more armor sets with more attributes
tl;dr botw is good but could have been so much better and I am butt hurt

>Heart and soul
Not quite.

Sure, there's nothing stopping you outside of the tutorial, but from there a lot of problems become apparent.

>Lack of OST really throws things off
>Activating shrines becomes tedious, even just to use them to teleport
>Inventory management is annoying as fuck, even worse than elder scrolls games
>Until you get some good weapons and armor, you are generally fucked
>Weapon and enemy variety
>In between finding shrines, enemy camps, minerals, and towers you're going to find jack shit except for Korok puzzles and a couple villages. The overworld is FUCKING EMPTY.
>Weather constantly fucks up trying to get anywhere in most regions
>There's literally no point in finding memories

Traveling between any two points (without teleporting) is annoying as fuck for every reason I listed above. It is genuinely frustrating spending 40 minutes figuring out how to get somewhere, then you get killed or fuck up and have to do it all over again.
It's a good time waster, but fuck it gets boring after 20 or so hours.

I enjoyed my time with it. It has some serious issues and the story is a heaping load of missed potential, but I still logged a lot of time in it before I got bored and decided to beat Ganon already. Anyone who says the game is shit is baiting way too hard or they just have shit taste.

>>Until you get some good weapons and armor, you are generally fucked
I don't disagree with the other points, but holy shit git gud

Holy fuck git gud

if you dont like the OST in BOTW you are a literal pleb

>It is genuinely frustrating spending 40 minutes figuring out how to get somewhere, then you get killed or fuck up and have to do it all over again.
The game has autosaves you know?

The problem with BotW is that Aonuma thoughtlessly threw out all the old Zelda conventions without understanding why they were put in there in the first place and replaced them with nothing. I can guarantee that the game would have been 100% better if they hadn't gotten rid of them.

For example, BotW lacks meaningful quest rewards and has a completely broken healing system where you can hold more healing items then you will ever use. Both of these issues were mitigated in other Zelda games with Bottles, hell they probably could have included more bottles in BotW than in any other Zelda due to the fact that this game has no recovery hearts and how dangerous the enemies and environments are this time around.

Unrelated but, I can't believe they included both hearty foods and fauna in the same game because the former completely cancels out the latter. At the start of the game I thought, "okay, meat is harder to get, but heals more hearts, creating a risk vs reward dynamic, neato" but then you find all these hearty turnips, hearty truffles, and hearty durians which all always give a full heal and then some. As soon as you find these food items hunting animals becomes completely pointless. How did this get through testing?

>besides everything in it the world is empty
Huh really activates my almonds

Other zeldas never had meaningful quest rewards though, besides MM

>thoughtlessly threw out all the old Zelda conventions
It's pretty much Zelda 1. Except that instead of empty dark rooms rooms with heart containers you find shrines with spirit orbs.

>complete annoying quest
>50 rupees
well I guess I will take this chump change...

If you like the more narrative driven Zeldas you might be disappointed, not only does the game not give you much in the way of story; when "questlines" conclude there isn't really any meaningful impact on the world and that can feel a little bit lame.

Who the fuck plays Zelda for the narrative anyway? That's like the worst part of any Zelda game

I feel like breath of the wild would have been so much better if it wasn't a zelda game and just called that, it is a nice standalone name and the devs wouldn't feel like they have to stick to some formula and maybe could borrow some ideas from actually good open world games to create something x10 better than what we have
but that will never happen, will it

heart? yes.
soul? no.

it would've been so much better if they actually switched up the theme/music of the shrines to reflect their surrounding area. why they chose 120 same-y ones like this is baffling.

It's not as if a piece of heart was really a compelling reward in the first place. More clothing and accessories earned through quests and shrines would have been welcome though.

It was underwhelming to get 50 rupees for completing a quest but I'm not really sure what other kind of meaningful loot they could offer.

Some people need adequate framing for their actions and videogames otherwise they can't feel totally immersed. Those people will not like BOTW because after you beat the piss easy divine beasts which are the only significant major story thread; everyone is already urging you to go fight gannon even though you still have a ton of content to play through.

If you understood how far apart those things are, you would see why that's a problem.
I'd like it more if it played more than 20 seconds every hour or so.
That's a legitimate point.
What I don't understand is why they decided to lock some of the climbing gear behind shrines that are in the middle of fucking nowhere.
That shit is practically essential for getting anywhere, and it's really, really fucking easy to miss.

Everyone is urging you to do so but you don't need to do so. If you're desperate you can frame it as "I want to prepare more before taking Ganon on"

how about nothing. how about your reward is the experience.

>how far apart
Not at all, unless you walk everywhere. World is infact too small if you paraglide, and perfect if you use a horse.

I wouldn't call them piss easy. Went and did the Thunder Ganon one almost immediately on 4 hearts and without the upgraded Stasis rune. Was actually pretty challenging considering all I could do was face him fair and square with piss poor weapons.

>man they should give more rewards for exploration
>what do you mean the rewards are found through exploration?

>get through testing

it's not really a flaw though. not like most of the mechanics even matter, they're just fun little asides you do once or twice. most people playing don't care. botw is like a lite version of a proper immersive rpg.

That's flimsy as fuck though and triggers my autism hard. I'm just fucking around running from shrine to shrine while Zeldas fighting off Gannon by herself. There needed to be more long quest lines like the Tarrey Town to give more of a sense of it being a persistent world and get players more invested.

Stop this meme. The game plays nothing like Zelda I
Zelda I plays more like OoT than it does to BotW

Zelda I has key items used for exploration found in dungeons, like OoT, missing in BotW
Zelda I had a dungeon order that you could deviate from for a certain extent, in BotW you can do anything in any order, it's a total free for all
Zelda I has several dungeons filled with the toughest enemies in the game, like OoT, while the dungeons in BotW contain almost no enemies, and the ones that are there can be killed easily with the weakest weapons
Zelda I and OoT dungeons are all several rooms that require a map and compass to fully explore and find all the secrets, BotW dungeons are all only a couple rooms where everything is visible in plain sight
Zelda I and OoT both have a variety of unique dungeon bosses that all looked and behaved very differently, BotW four main dungeon bosses are all variations of the phantom ganon concept from earlier zelda games
Zelda I would sometimes have more than one boss encounter in a single dungeon, every dungeon in OoT had two bosses in it, the main boss and a mini boss, BotW only has one boss for each of its dungeons
Zelda I and OoT both only had three sword in the entire game, BotW gives you a million trash swords that break after two enemy encounters
Zelda I and OoT had different enemies for each biome, BotW has you fight Moblins, Bokoblins and Lizalfos everywhere all the time with only a Yiga assassin to break up the monotony.

But you are making yourself stronger, aren't you? The whole game is about preparing to fight ganon, the shrines are just part of it.

That would be fine if the experiences were a little more interesting

Wait until you can pirate shit, then buy one. Zelda isn't really worth it.

And the ending fucking sucks, even with memories it's just Zelda saying "Lets make Hyrule great again" and some bullshit camera work

>It's Skyrim with a Zelda skin

It's so easy to spot idiots who haven't played either game when they spout stupid shit like this.

not that guy but you can beat ganon as soon as you leave the plateau

It is as good or as shitty as any other Zelda game imo. If you don't like the others, you won't like this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

>Dank banana man gets crushed by a spikey ball never to be seen again

I was super fucking pissed at how short that section was. I was really enjoying the stealth and there is literally like one room in the Yiga clan hideout.

most of the shrines I did, I went out of my way t do them because I wanted enough heart containers to be able to pull out the master sword. that's plenty justifiable.

>rewards
Oh man, more weapons to throw away. Maybe I'll collect some more cooking ingredients I'll never fucking use on top of another 20 Korok seeds.
The rewards and unique weapons are way too far in between, and most of the time they are fucking useless.
It's Skyrim all over again.

>not using cooking ingredients
but selling your gourmet food for rupees is the best way to raise money for clothing prior to finding the places where you can farm shitloads of luminous stones

>hur dur Skyrim
Can you fags think about anything else? Skyrim isn't the only open world game that exists

Also you not liking the rewards=/= no rewards. If you collected more seeds you don't have to throw the weapons anyway

But it fucking is, man.

>You got through another shrine, here, have some useless shit
>Writing? Cohesive story? What's that?
>Hope you like seeing the same enemies Over and OVER and fucking OVER again
>There's only a handful of unique events that happen in the overworld
>Taking the time to activate the towers is more than enough to realize how empty the overworld is

The region variety is great, there's a bunch of little neat things here and there, but every time I loaded it up I couldn't help but feel like I was playing Skyrim or Dragon's Dogma but with worse combat mixed with the parachute from Just Cause 3.

What's wrong with it, even what you said sounds okay

Nah, not really. It's a great game and fun to play but I woulsn't say it has heart or soul. Hyrule is much much bigger but feels more empty and much less memorable than other games. Save for a few choice moments, every character is also completely forgettable.

>but it fucking is
>lists a bunch of things not like Skyrim at all, or not exclusive to skyrim
>spirit orbs are useless
Are you retarded?

It's fun until you beat the first boss and then realize you've basically seen 90% of what the game has to offer. The trials are kind of fun though if you just want combat and no snorefest climbing simulation. If you have a good PC I highly recommend you emulate it.

Well shit, user.
If the developers themselves didn't say that they FUCKING TOOK INSPIRATION FROM SKYRIM, then I guess you would have a valid point.
Also your second point doesn't add up. I'm not the only one saying the rewards aren't worth the effort to obtain.
Some of it really is worth it, but that happens so rarely that it's disappointing.
Kind of like SKYRIM

EDGE Magazine just rated as the Greates Game Of All Time. And there will be tons more awards heading it's way in the next few months. Just imagine all the salty Nintendohaters foaming at the mouth. It's glorious.

>overworld is empty
Can this meme die already? I keep stumbling into shit every few steps. You can't go more than 3 minutes in one direction without finding a shrine or something

The combat was seriously lacking. They put in that fucking dumb weapon durability system and then barely any of the weapons are actually unique besides attack power.

Most fun I had was fighting Lionels

The problems is that all the effort to make varied and lively fauna could have gone into beefing up the enemy roster. So the fact that the fauna don't serve a gameplay purpose after the plateau is concerning.

>being retarded
>everything originated from Skyrim
If only you had more arguments. Why not the Witcher 3 then? Rewards there are even more shit than Skyrim. Also, Spirit orbs are infinitely useful and you come across them often. The developers said they were inspired by Skyrim along with many other open world games, with Skyrim being only an example, so your point doesn't add up either
Maybe when you don't have brain damage you can type up a coherent reply

I must be for buying this game.
I can't find myself to enjoy it after playing darksiders 1&2 and Dragon's Dogma, which managed to do what BoTW tried to do but better.

It's kind of a fucking shame. How did BoTW get 10/10 reviews when there's so many problems with it?
Don't even get me started about how fucked the climbing mechanics are.

>Lionels
Oh you're that dumb fag that appears in every thread and spells Lynels wrong every time

you need to explore to get most of the armors in the game

Literally not an argument, your shit taste does not make a game bad

Anyway nice blog faggot

It's my new favorite Zelda game. It's (nearly) everything I wanted. It actually feels good to just wander around and explore. Took me 130 hours to even go fight the final boss.

There's a really solid groundwork there for future Zelda games. If they added more enemy variety, more things to discover, and more dungeons, it'd be GOAT

sidequests are a fucking joke if you want rupees when you can just abuse the shit out of the bowling mini-game and make a fuckload of money in just a few minutes. seriously there are so many ways to abuse the game and just make it into cakewalk. I'm namely talking about how ridiculously broken cooking is, and ESPECIALLY when you get the fish slut miracle on top of that (which I imagine most people get first).

>Don't even get me started about how fucked the climbing mechanics are.
Please. Go on.

just play it on pc, i though all nintedo fags have a pc

How do you miss what BotW tried to do so hard you picked linear as fuck games to make a point? Darksiders? Really? Sounds like you thought BotW wanted to be lite devil may cry.

Dragons dogma is even more confusing. BotW didn't want to be a combat focused game at all

How is the DLC?

I got it with my switch because i wanted mohun and i wanted to kill a week.

It became my favourite Zelda, it does new things, it innovates Zelda and there's so much put into the game.

Honestly, i hope more future Zelda games are like this, sadly i think most will be just more of the same of this, which is okay i guess. But I haven't really enjoyed Zelda since OoT/MM

Sword trials are good. Master mode is mediocre to shit depending on how you play

>every few steps
Are we playing the same game?
Care to explain why Towers and Shrines are MILES away from each other?
I'm not the one going full damage control over a mediocre game. Look, when nintendo hyped up this game for years, they made so many promises and they didn't deliver on half of them.
If that doesn't affect your opinion, I don't know what to tell you

Not worth it yet. Trials are easy until the absolute final level which is just straight up bullshit if you don't know exactly what to do.

>they made so many promises and they didn't deliver on half of them.
Speaking of. Are we ever going to discuss the fact that Aonuma said that some of the shrines were bigger and had a boss at the end? Remind me, how many shrines exactly were bigger and had a boss at the end?

>miles away
Are WE playing the same game? You can easily see a shirne from a shrine you are at, and going there is so quick especially with a paraglider

Also not an argument, damage control means nothing, and hype is all in your head. That doesn't undermine the game in any way

I think for the boss he meant the guardian scouts
And wasn't there the Hinox one?

>link is boring and shows no personality
Are you fucking serious? Have you ever played a previous game in the series? Ignoring everything else you posted. you consider THAT a valid complaint?

Wind Waker is literally the only time he's ever had a modicum of personality.

What is it with BoTW fans and them being unable to handle criticism?
What's with the damage control?
It's just opinions.
If you don't like it, go back to No, user. You don't get it.
I picked games that aren't walking simulators.
A lot of areas, the jungle, the area surrounding death mountain, that south western snowy mountain especially have a lot of issues with terrain that doesn't behave like the rest of it. Causes a lot of problems trying to get anywhere.

>unable to handle critism
More like you are unable to handle rebuttals to your shit opinions given that nothing you posted is an argument, and then spouting buzzwords like walking simulator which dragons dogma totally isn't

zeldainformer.com/aonuma-there-was-no-inspiration-taken-from-skyrim-for-zelda-u/
>I just wanted to say, I’ve been a bit surprised by the focus on my comments about Skyrim. I started playing Skyrim because the name was so close to “Skyward Sword” and I wanted to see what that was about. [laughs] I didn’t pick it up because it was popular or because it was getting good reviews or anything like that. I just wanted to take a look at it. “Oh, okay, this is what this game’s about. There are some things in here that are sort of Zelda-esque and maybe some things that aren’t.”

>But there was no inspiration taken from Skyrim. It didn’t impact what I was thinking about for future Zelda titles. I’m always thinking about, “Okay, next time, what are we going to do with the next one?” As a producer, whenever I can find more time to play games, I’m taking that free time to go out and play other games just to play them and see what’s out there.

mynintendonews.com/2016/06/26/aonuma-says-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wasnt-inspired-by-skyrim-or-the-witcher/
>Aonuma: First of all I think that many of the staff members do play many different kinds of games, open-world games like you mentioned, but I don’t think there was one game that we really looked at and said we want to make a game like this. Instead like I mentioned earlier we wanted to really expand on the world of Skyward Sword and we kind of tried to think about what kind of cycle can we create in the game that really encourages continuous exploration so that what came up was things like needing to cook and gather ingredients to eat, needing to procure weapons from enemies because they break, things that like there’s a cycle of expending something and then procuring something, that’s like a main important part of this game and it was kind of drawn more from that than any singular inspiration.