Dragon Quest Thread

What are you playing user?

Is it true that every game is the same?

11が終わったから3やってるよ

Yes, and that's both a good and bad thing.

Explain further

None this game is shit. What's the point of having silent PC's and shallow party dynamics if you can't even customize them?

DQ7, 46 hours in

そ う だ ね

Different user, but I'll give it a shot.
Good is that the sense of exploration remains consistent throughout the series. There's a familiarity to the skills, monsters, items, equipment, story elements, etc. that over time evoke a nostalgic and comfy feeling. You don't need to learn all the base mechanics, instead being able to focus on the specific differences between installments (which can be rather large if you compare something like V to VII). Basically, it's a good framework and because of how much carries between games, that framework is good throughout installments.

The bad is that the same framework will never be too heavily bent or altered, as those common elements define the series more than in others like FF. Again, things do change and new systems are introduced, but it's all within the same general outline of previous games. Can't speak for X though, as it's an MMO that I have next to no knowledge about.

TL;DR: If you like one dragon quest, odds are you'll at least mostly enjoy the others. If you don't like one, odds are you won't really find a different entry that grabs you.

Dragon quest 7. I am really enjoying all of these short stories but I feel the main cast are a bit weak without Maribel. I just finished the arc with the angel people.

I've just started playing 9, only as far as the wight knight. Trying the game with a team of 3

Are you me? I also started playing 9 and just beat wight knight.

So it sounds like it's better to start off playing the earlier games and then working up from there to appreciate each one.

Would anyone recommend going in chronological order or can certain titles be skipped?

Been playing V this week

I'm playing them chronologically and now at VIII and the gameplay improvements really makes me really appreciate them, although I only started having fun with III. I and II were rough.

I also felt sad when Marible left. Probably my favorite character right now in the series, as I'm doing my marathon. Femdom with small/young girls is my favorite fetish.

she's a bitch though

I want to be abused by little girls.

Fuck that noise.

Just play VIII or V(preferably PS2 version).

You could play 1 just for historical reasons, it takes about 7 hours to beat.

2 adds party members but the game is a total slog once you get the ability to travel the entire world. Don't really recommend unless you are truly curious. The lategame is brutal.

3 is a the most RPGish of the series, you custom create your party and change their class. But can only be truly appreciated if you played both 1&2.

4 is incredibly story driven, but its pretty enjoyable.

5 is the best, adds pokemon/SMT monster mechanics. Story driven, but lots to shit to fuck around with. I recommend playing the PS2 version via emulator. Also the story is pretty epic in scope considering you play through the entire childhood, adulthood, and parenthood of the hero.

6 is pretty, and has some interesting characters but is often forgotten.

7 is insanely long, has a job class system, and did i mention its fucking long. PS1 version is ugly as sin(but so are most DQ games on their original hardware).

8 is easily the most accessible of the series, and looks beautiful. And fully voice acted in english, and is hilarious to boot.

9 is a DS game that is meant to be played with others, otherwise is kinda a wonky title, still fun..

10 is a nip only MMO

the remix of 2 isn't that hard, I enjoyed its freedom of exploration when you get the ship.
>But can only be truly appreciated if you played both 1&2.
While that makes it better, 3 is a terrific game and the best in the series even if it's your first game. It was for me.

Why not DQ5 on DS?

Dragon Quest 7, at the final dungeon finally. This may be the longest game I ever played, but I enjoyed almost every story arc. My favourite one was Alltrades Abbey.

Playing XI. I think I just got to the point where I can fight the true final boss but I heard you need to level up quite a bit. I think a bunch of postgame story events opened up but I'm feeling a bit burned out at this point.

DQ 4 had a rather neat system of playing through backstories of each character like a FF game, before starting with your hero.
I got attached to characters a lot better.

The only thing it has over the Ps2 version is that there is a new girl to marry, if you don't care about that, the Ps2 version is better.

Dragon Quest III on the SNES, really nice looking game, good remake. I probably ended up playing the board game too much and overpowered myself, though.

PS2 version is far superior and easily emulatable on PC

If you don't have a competent comp and can't into patching a PS2 ISO....

I guess you can get a physical copy of the DS version or use an R4 to play it on a DS

And if you don't have DS, just emulate translated SNES version on PC(but this is the worst version of the game, and is ugly as fuck)

>only males

ugh, problematic series, imo

>only males

DQ3, 4, 9, and 10 allow you to make the hero female.

Almost half the fuckin games allow you to be a grill.

6/10, made me reply

Ummmm excuse you. They're all silent protagonists, the fact that you're assuming they all identify as male really says a lot about you. You bigot.

I actually own this artbook. It's really nice.

>Just play VIII or V
>tell him that the rest are also enjoyable games

I don't know about this user.

slowly working my way thru DQVIII 3ds is definitely my third least favourite game in the series after I and II (never played X). Such a shame as I thought DQVII3ds was absolutely amazing and probably 2nd best entry in the seriesq

funny alltrades was the only "bad" section of the game besides I guess a litlte bit of the padding at the end. I fucking hate going thru that pure rng fest dungeon of past alltrades

>that pure rng fest dungeon
As long as you buy herbs and use the saint's stone it's not that bad at all. The only cheap part would be if the bosses smash you with tons of criticals.

Heroes 2. I should probably play some more dragon quest games down the line to get all these references and nods.

Nowhere on the internet besides one video says that in the thief key quest you could release the prisoners and distract the guards. Besides that, solid game so far. Probably not gonna 100% it, considering a round or two of new game+ is needed and I didn't do that in the first game.

If I could get some good accessories going, I'd use Maya 100% of the time. Fun as fuck in 1 and even better now that she has other abilities to use.

It really is that bad and of course i'm not talking about the random encounters but the 2 bosses at the end where it is pure rng if you win or lose

>I has only 1 character and fights are 1v1
>II two has 3 main characters and larger monster encounters(more than 4 monsters atleast)
>III has hero character plus additional 3 characters which you can hire and pick their classes(around 5-6) for example you can have 3 fighters etc. Also you can change class of existing character,skills he learned as previous class will remain but his level will reset to 1
>IV has like 8 characters and you don't have access to them at the start,they meet midgame cuz game has chapters which tell story of certain heroes,class system is absent from the game
>V is one of the best.You collect monsters like in pokemon and fight using them,catching monsters is totally random tho,monster taming is rng,game's hero is aging through the game,gettin married etc.
>VI has vocation system,works like classes,once you master one vocation you can go and master another one,after mastering 2 classes you can go and learn hybrid class like gladiator(soldier+fighter
>VII it has vocation system aswell,its hella long.I dont know much about it.
>VIII is third person and full 3d,only 4 characters but when you level up you can invest skill points into categories like swords,spears,charisma etc. Each can grant you new skills

That was quick "guide" from the top of my head,also if you can play remakes like ds ones or mobile ones(I,II,IV,V,VII)

Its not like their bad games.

Its just that he should just play V or VIII to gauge his interest, if it doesn't appeal to user, then user can fuck off and play something else. He does enjoy them, he can go ahead and play all of them if he wants.

There's a DS emulator you know

Dragon Quest Monsters 2 on 3DS, amazing game, and Iru is so cute.

Is DQ5 enjoyable without the recruiting monsters mechanic? I really don't see the fun in grinding battles just for a small chance of getting a party member

You eventually get human party members but the monsters are a huge part of the game. Some monsters have really high recruitment rates and you'll just get them naturally as you go through dungeons.

The monsters with high recruitment rates are perfectly fine to get you thru the middle part of the game before you get human characters, if you want the best monsters you will probably have to grind a bit but it is not necessary at all

>tfw you got that artbook
Good purchase

Builders....
It's honestly really fun.
Also playing 7 but it's so long I lost interest 30 hours in.
Tempted to bench 7 and move on to 8. Thoughts?

assuming u mean 3ds version of 7 it's a lot better than 8

8 is easier to get through than 7, more cinematic and the characters and voices will probably help. It's still a long game though.

Bumping this thread with best vidya clerics.

Because frail backroll healers are for fags.

6 is my favorite and I dont care if its an unpopular opinion
Its the most open game other than 1 and 2 and the music creates a unique atmosphere

>3 ... can only be truly appreciated if you played both 1&2.
Bollocks. You only need to play 1 to get the full nostalge out of 3's final areas. 2 does nothing for you.

yas queen!

Translation is out?

Why does the 3DS version of VIII run so much better than 3DS VII?

It was released about 2 years later.

>Its the most open game other than 1 and 2
What? DQ6 is completely linear with 2 minor sidequests until you get the harp. Reefs and mountains block you from exploring the world. Only the first three games are open, 4 arguably in the last chapter too.

Ok open as in lack of direction
Happy now

Great taste.

V > III > VII > VI > IV > VIII > IX
(Monsters 1 on the GBC is still the best though.)

Dragon Quest VI DS. I've been playing all the Dragon Quest games starting from Famicom Dragon Quest I to get ready for XI

>being a English only Peasant in 2017

Monsters 1 on GBC is objectively slow, clunky, and shitty. Fucking nostalgiafags

Why is it cool to hate VIII?

Different engines and different developers.