Can someone explain "overdesign" to me?

How is the design on the top any more overdesigned than the one on the bottom?

If anything, top design is understated by comparison. I mean I'm all for jumping on bandwagons and irrationally hating on Gearbox, but how are Battleborn's heroes overdesigned compared to Overwatch?

Because I just don't see it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CZ56H5Eja-U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Overwatch designs went to shit post-launch when they started to concern themselves with the opinions of Neofaggers.

FACT

That's one of the few characters in battleborn that isn't overdesigned, and I never perceived Orisa as being one either.

Widowmaker's design is fucking garbage. LE CORILOSIS SNIPER LADY WITH AN EDGY METAL BAND TIER TATTOO.

Overwatch designs are awful.

Its actually amazing how they're adopted into being acceptable just because blizzard made them.

Also, for the record. Paladins has better designs than OW & BB combined.

not that anyone cares.

>Paladins has better designs

No.

Paladins character designs have potential. they just have to not be accompanied by terrible textures and wonky animations.

Because it's overtly stylised without any necessity.
"Oh, it's a robot, but he's dressed from a time that robots don't exist! G E T I T!"

Orisa's is fine because she is meant to be a public defense machine. There's nothing on her design that breaches that field.

Because bot adheres to the aesthetic of the game, aka robots. Robots have many parts. That robot's color template blends with the enviroment and itself. I don't even care about Overwatch, pretty mediocre game with Disney aesthetics but that design tells something about the character. The different marks and logos serve as a purpose to tell us more about the character, he might be from some weird robot tribe. Character looks heavy but colors don't look threatening. Support.
Top is LMAO ROBOT IN A SUIT. Hero makes no sense. What is that gun? is it a sniper? Must be, look how it has a bazillion scopes. But that posture doesn't suit the one of a sniper. Oh is it because he's a gentleman? And those pants, are they clothing or actual metal parts? I mean, they look like clothing but then, are they cut in half and the bottom part some extra part of clothing? It's a fucking mess. And supposedly, it's one of the best designed heroes. Also, I don't even fucking know what's the deal of his right arm, like, what the fuck is that swirly gold thing.

Seriously. What fucking happened to them? Why are character designs now about "representation?" When we heard about Doomfist I thought he was going to be some badass robotman. Not some ordinary tribal man with a big arm. Is all we have to look forward to: "I wonder what country the next character will be from!"

Orisa is fun to play. Glad I don't have to see the terrible design in first person

cherrypicking
marquis isn't overdesigned, he's rather simple and easily read
however i can point to half a dozen battleborn designs i don't understand at all (the character whose image i'm posting here, the two lesbian characters who look incredibly similar whose names i don't know, the big guy with the tiny head who isn't overdesigned but just plain looks terrible)
in general, battleborn characters have less of a problem with being overdesigned and more of a problem with being really fucking ugly
like that teenage girl character with the giant demon shadow thing that fights on her behalf
she's disgustingly ugly and her pet monster looks more stupid than it does cool. it's a good concept ruined by looking hideous and turning off people like me who would be attracted to a character like that

cherry pick some more churro
i need to make a pie

Overdesign is when you have too many fucking clashing elements in a single character and/or just too many extraneous elements. For example, any JRPG character design ever (eg pants made entirely of belts, random shit dangling on their clothes, etc).

The top one is not the worst design because the colors evoke steampunk (which is a common theme). But Battleborn as a whole has terrible character design mostly because the characters are ugly and have no thematic unity. They also don't really match the environment in which they're placed.

In Overwatch, every character seems like they came directly out of that world, even if their kits are pretty goofy. You can take a random person and make them "Overwatchy" in the same way you can take a piece of technology and make it "Appley".

Is there a way to make something "Battleborny"? Well, you have a steampunk robot assassin, a Mexican wrestler, some ghost thing, a woman in a Victorian dress, etc. Also, they're all hideous looking.

Battleborn comes from the League school of random fucking characters all shoved together in an arena. The only way you can get away from that is if your characters are fap-bait, which they're not.

orisa is actually one of the ugliest characters in the game for that reason, look at that gun, it has so many unnecessary and distracting details, and thematically shes just a fucking mess, a cow robot centaur that represents an african tribal god with a fucking bongo backpack and a fucking machine gun is honestly one of the worst things ive ever heard of. bastion on the other hand just has a lot of flat planes and basic mechanical joints similar to the classic gundam designs, hes a grunt robot but appealing and stands out uniquely as well.

but their release pattern has always been to cover all the nationalities that havent been covered considering most of the heroes are just kind of stereotypes of their country of origin, and doomfist was long known as an african warlord type character as seen in ingame posters and shit, i agree that the more tribal looking aspect is dog shit, but him being just a big black guy with a robot arm wasn't suprising to anyone

Easily. You can mainly spot it by details that don't add anything to a design other than making it visually more busy. Perfect example is Marquis' legs. Is he wearing pants with kneepads over them? Or are they visible robotic joints? If his legs are meant to be robotic but shaped to look like pants, then why do they have the same texture as his coat which is obviously fabric? The detail there doesn't make this clearer, it just makes it more confusing.

That's without even mentioning his ridiculously inconsistent gun design and the pointless etching/lines all over his gold parts.

>but him being just a big black guy with a robot arm wasn't suprising to anyone
I knew this as well, I guess I was still expecting his design to be more... exciting.

His name is fucking DOOMFIST after all. I thought he was going to be imposing. What a letdown.

orisa is cute

well you can use his robot man skin, its far more interesting compared to his default

It's not overdesigned, it's just ugly as fuck.

In a hero shooter, the way the hero look is very important. Mainly because the people who play them are fucking autists that fall in love with the characters, spending hundreds of dollars on outfits for them.

Orisa is cute, stop being mean.

It's an OK skin, but still not in-line with what I was expecting. Looking at him doesn't make you shit a brick and say "Fuck this, I'm outta here!"

"Doomfist" indeed.

i was really hoping doomfist would be an angry urban black man, sorta like barret from final fantasy 7. someone i could identify with and have fun playing and making jokes about
instead we got a boring african, the second african character in a row at that, with nothing interesting about him or his character besides being generically evil

Yeah, I don't know who the fuck signed off on Orisa's character design. Easily the worst character design in Overwatch. How can you have cool ass characters like Lucio and Bastion next to that thing?

This is when I realized Overwatch was going down the shitter hard.

Doomfist's bland as design just reaffirmed my beliefs.

orisa is for ___

Where do you want the next hero to be from, user.

yeah really wished they went with a more militaristic approach like in these 2 designs instead of a literally hobo

>Literally the only decent thing about Battleborn is bird husbando
>He's stuck in a fucking terrible game

Orisa is an Elephant, that's literally what the quadruped design and tusks represent. It amazes me that people don't notice something so retardedly obvious.

Go back to /owg/ and don't instalock my waifu.

Isn't the point of etching that it adds nothing to the item but makes it look fancy and expensive?
That seems to go perfectly with the design of Marquis as a gentleman robot

I instalock Orisa every single game.

he's black that's the reason why.
they couldn't do anything because it would be seen as racist.

OW was literally always a game for nu-males
>first trailer focuses heavily on the stronk independent shitskin womyn heroes
>Zarya's design in general
>Tracer being gay as well as the censorship controversy over her winpose
>characters feel like they were taken from a representation checklist
>banter between characters is as weak and inoffensive as possible
>the most inoffensive of trashtalk gets censored
>problematic gameplay elements such as animation cancelling that would contribute to a possible execution barrier or higher skill ceiling removed ASAP

1v1 me

NO TACTICAL ADVANTAGE

>first trailer focuses heavily on the stronk independent shitskin womyn heroes
>Tracer is white
>Widowmaker is white with necrosis

Stay away from my fucking waifu

>Tracer being gay as well as the censorship controversy over her winpose
You're retarded, they replaced it with an even sexier pose based on WWII bomber decals. The complaint was the old pose was boring and unfitting.

ORISA IS MY WAIFU, YOU STAY AWAY YOU FUCK.

On a similar vein, Overdesigned is QC's weapons.

How do you take something as simple as a Double Barrel shotgun and come up with this.

you cant just add tusks to a design and pretend like thats an elephant motif, look at rein's balderick's armor, the eagle design is far clearer compared to elephant's horn tusks things that just looks fucking strange in tandem with her bug eyes mask

What's your rank with her?

Orisa is top tier now. New buff make her a way bigger threat. If you don't focus her she obliterates.

3972 as of now and climbing.

They couldve just done strong dominant man with metal gauntlets that happens to be black intead of tribal african ft. Shiny arm

>YWN play as a awesome birdbro
>cool designs like benedict are stuck in shit games
>the closest one we got was kass
>kass became a furfag icon and got ruined
it aint fair

>you cant just add tusks to a design
>AFRICAN FUCKING ROBOT WITH AN AFRICA MOTIF
>COMPACT, FLAT FEET AND TUSKS
>HMM, WHAT FUCKING ANIMAL DOES THIS REPRESENT THAT AFRICA IS KNOWN FOR?

Marquis is one of the only good character designs in Battleborn, comparing him to nigger Ultima Weapon is cherry picking pretty hard. That said I think OW designs are very hit or miss.

>The complaint was the old pose was boring and unfitting.
No, the complainer claimed was it was too sexy, and it made them "uncomfortable." Blizzard stepped in and claimed they heard their complaints and removed it. It's true they did replace it with a sexier pose though.

he's shit
he has the most irritating "deep south" american accent you can imagine and a terrible personality to match
people keep clinging to him just because he's a sexy burd and trying to say that he's the only good thing in battleborn
gearbox literally gave him the most obnoxious personality possible and the only way anyone can like him is if they look at his design and ignore everything else about his character

>Could have gotten a really cool monster smoking a cigar as a design
>Got an absolutely laughable awful character instead
Battleborn should have honestly just been monsters and shit.

Why is your waifu so fucking ugly?

Stay away from my waifu, thanks.
What's your Bnet?

Whyd they all skip leg day minus two?

That's a pretty easy thing to do honestly. Games have too many human characters. Non-human characters are much more interesting.

>gearbox literally gave him the most obnoxious personality possible
That's their entire design philosophy for EVERY character.

>only well designed character post-launch
>universally hated by ranked players
>never mention in Overwatch design threads
>robot horse and niggerfist get all the attention

Why is life pain, my waifu needs love too.

Thats because he isnt, Marquis is one the few decent designs in Battleborn and maybe even recent memory, and i feel incredibly sorry he was wasted in such a shit game, i would gladly have in overwatch to contest widow any fucking day if he didnt fit in so badly.

Overdesign usually just means bad design really.

Widowmaker's design is good, her visor complements the spider motif perfectly.

>no nose
>no ears
No elephant.

She's a 10/10 design turned into a 5/10 due to a terrible fucking haircut

>Paladins has better designs

That bottom far right design looks like some Guilty Gear shit, I like it

The hairstyle ruins her design. Put her in a dumb helmet, or give her a respectable head of hair; not that stupid half grown half shaved shit.

I respectfully disagree. They could have just went with her hair down, yes, but nothin says step on my balls and milk me of my baby batter like that delicious haircut.

I prefer simple designs.

Actually it says "I'm a massive cunt and will probably just leave you and force you to pay child support"

Sombra's design isn't anything special and her base color scheme is terrible.

>universally hated by bronze players
ftfy, she shits on Reinhardts, Winstons, Lucios and pretty much anyone who presses a button to win.

Paladins' designs are fucking garbage, dude. Do you want to know why Overwatch is so damn popular? It's the art design. The character design. They've made a pretty decent game but what absolutely carries it is the characters. The world. It's the same reason that Lawbreakers failed, because it was so hideous.

People will bitch about Overwatch to the end of time, but most of them will still check in whenever there's an update or keep up with progress to see if there's anything that might bring them back because they like the game, on some level.

Kek, Sombra's fan design while her """ARG""" was going on were a dozen times better.

She's hated because her gun is ass. There's no ifs or buts about it, her weapon is fucking garbage and her win rate and pick rate speaks for itself. She's also supporty and flanky so without a good front and a team that can capitalize on Sombra's plays her tools are swiftly devalued which means that she's rarely ever useful unless you're playing with 5% best players in the world who know how to work it. And the saddest thing is that at the end of the day you could still just play someone with more consistency like Tracer or McCree.

>omnic script below third Doomfist
>we could have had an omnic joke cracking Doomfist voiced by Terry Crews

First thing I did was buy one of his robot skins so I could pretend that's what we got. Truly we live in the lamest timeline.

I wish she was more viable.

>Intricate engravings in rather sporadic and random places (Shoulder armor?)
>The engravings make everything very nonsymmetrical
>engraved kneepads
>Despite the rather simple color palette of black, white and gold. The gun and eye have bright blue fucking fluorescent lights ruining everything
>Silver buttons on the cuffs despite the rest of the buttons being gold
>Why does a suit that's textured like a suit have metallic engraved lines?
He's better than several other of Battleborn's design monstrosities though.

Well it's good character design then because Sombra would absolutely do that. She's an asshole.

I would actually say battleborn is more hit and miss while OW tries to be as inoffensive as possible, like there isn't a single character you can truly work up an anger about in OW probably because they're less characters and more plain avatars. The only semblance of character we get is in tiny shorts Blizz shit out every millennia while in BB the large man has like ten, shitty and hammy, BUT different ways to say his bullets are cold or hot

ah yes, toilet seat man from that one literally who game

Evolve did tons of shit wrong, but the characters wasn't one of them.

I meant visually. In terms of their actual characterization the OW crew are all fucking terrible, bland, and boring.

I didn't care for the Terry Crews meme, but fuck if it wouldn't have been much better than what we really got.

I just want to play as a fucking birdbro, is that so much to ask these days?
i dont want a shitty personality in a shitty game, i just want a birdbro
why is life so hard
t. not a furfag, just want to play as a birdbro

Needs better hairstyle and different shoes, those foot glove things look stupid in real life, and they look stupid in Overwatch.

that's fine, I honestly would be ok with her pegging me and leaving me on the side of the road
Take it back.

>I just want to play as a fucking birdbro

Lauraskye is pretty neat.

Orisa is a defense robot reprogrammed and redecorated by a clever young african girl. Unless you take issue with the child genius angle, there's nothing really offensive about the design in Overwatch's universe. In fact, it's a little on the boring side compared to other characters.

Marquis' very concept is the most obnoxious sort of internet steampunk wank. He has a monocle. A thing on his chest made to look like a pocket watch. Everything is some kind of brassy material. Bowler hat. Gun looks like a sci-fi hybrid of a period pistol and an umbrella. (Not from this angle, though)

Orisa's design fits in the world perfectly, Marquis' design is glaringly weird in-universe, because he's kind of a joke.

The designers new that if they had more leg strength they could walk into a better game.

Orisa has a long way to go before she is even viable, let alone top tier. She has the same problem as Reinhardt, the dive meta shits all over her.

>another thread where nu/v/ crossposting Sup Forumscucks cry about women and minorities

>I just want to play as a fucking birdbro,

youtube.com/watch?v=CZ56H5Eja-U

The battleborn designs really aren't as bad as people here think. Designs don't need to be realistic or well proportioned to be attractive. Battleborn just pushed it a little too far, I think they do it deliberately. That along with adverse asymmetry makes people hate it. Also reputation, pritchford and Burch.

>drogoz
>a fucking birdbro
pick one

It's because you took the best one from Battleborn and the worst one from Overwatch.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

I'll give Battleborn one thing, some of the designs are better than Paladins', at least. SOME of Battleborn's designs are real, real ugly. Almost all of Paladins' designs are painfully generic, have clashing ideas, or both.

>>drogoz
>>a fucking birdbro
>pick one

Dinos evolved from birds, silly boy.

Orisa's is a tank, tanks are usually heavy on detail to make them stand out more in Overwatch.

>Implying it's just the characters that are ugly