Would he be a better Kojima if his previous games had a proper budget and team?

Would he be a better Kojima if his previous games had a proper budget and team?

>better Kojima
No. Taro's aim isn't to be a movie maker but with videogames.

he wants to be a playwright instead

Taro loves virtually every medium but he's not single-mindedly bent on worshipping Hollywood's cock.
Without Fukushima Kojima is a fucking nobody.

I would say his focus is more on story than making a movie.

Not really. He can make a good story and characters regardless of budget but the fact that gameplay was always lacking in his games was because Square never wanted to give him a proper team.
And they never fired him because he is Dragon Quest publisher's bro and he threatened to leave Square if they would do that.
For Automata they finally gave him a good team and marketing, and guess what? It was a huge success and saved Platinum.

That would first require Taro having any semblance of talent.

Sans?

>because Square never wanted to give him a proper team
that's cavia's fault though

t.mad contrarian

Why would he want to be a better pretentious hack?

Funny how everyone thinks Taro is his surname when it's his first name

Emil

Fuck his name, both parts sound like first name and it's get even more confusing when some post names nip way (family name first) while the rest does it 'normally'.

Well we're going to see soon. Automata was an overwhelming success and all it took to get greenlit is Yosuke blackmailing some SE CEOs, it's basically guaranteed we're going to get a new one with a real budget.

Any person who dresses like that has got to be a fucking loser

Everyone uses the nip way, even western publications

>with a real budget
Doubled edged sword. The more money they put into the game, the more likely their management is to be overbearing as it becomes more important to see returns on their investment.

*sssssssip*

Says the no-name anonymous faggot who spends his weekend on a chinese cartoon BBS trying to make himself feel better by insulting the eccentricities of a man who is more renowned and successful than he will ever be.

Shit's mixed as fuck, Google even uses both ways in one article.

There are probably a lot of developers with better idea of these two but with no money sadly

Even in Automata, the gameplay is lacking. I think the problem is Taro, not his team.

>Still perpetuating this shallow excuse about the myth of Tomokazu Fukushima's suddenly big importance.

He was mainly a CODEC convo writer, nothing close to a mastermind behind the themes explored, the main settings or actual general game design.

And the skeleton of what made MGS great was already done in MG2 without him.

Half of the games' script is codec conversations.

And he wasn't the only one who made those either.

>He was mainly a CODEC convo writer
You mean he's responsible for all the most interesting bits of writing in franchise?

The problem is definitely budget in Automata. You ever played any other platinum games like MGR/Bayo/Vanquish? Gameplay is stellar on these. Hell, even Okami had sweet and varied combat for an eye candy platformer.

one thing's for sure
yoko taro made me realize he's a better game director than kojima today.

Say what you want about Kojima but his games have interesting gameplay. They just don't have good balance between the talky scenes and the game stuff.

>The problem is definitely budget in Automata.
It's certainly a problem, you can tell from all the reused assets in the game, but I don't know if that's something that can undermine the basic gameplay systems to the point of being as dull as it is.

He had his chance when he got hold of a development team that could actually make games and it still turned out shit. Taro has not made one good game.

u notice how he handled having low budget for the world? he made sure we could see 2B's ass while we were running so that distracted us from the garbage world detail. truly a genius.

Its dull because there's no variety. After awhile you've seen everything the battle has to offer and frankly what is there is already good as it is but its not enough to keep you engaged in a 70-80 hour game where the last 30 hours are you searching for missed/endgame stuff.

More personalized gimmicks on the weapons, more inputs on the combo routes instead of 3 buttons into other button for 20 hit combo, more enemy variety, more/fleshed out bosses(secret endgame boss was kind of a letdown gameplay wise since), honestly there's a lot the game could've benefited off if only there was just more of it.

Kamiya also confirmed they didnt have enough budget and were at their ropes end.

Nier Automata was pretty good, but still room to grow. The main problem with Yoko Taro is that you can never tell whether something about the game is bad, because he wants to prove a point or because it's just bad.

>because he wants to prove a point or because it's just bad.
I loved the 'low resolution sattelite map with no underground' explanation.

There's this one segment in Drakengard 3, where this is really, really prevalent.
You're in a dessert, you walk around an empty dessert, killing some guys, they're all in different corners and there's lots of nothing but walking.
Is it shit, because Yoko Taro didn't have the money to make this scene work or is it shit, because Yoko Taro wants to criticize shitty fetch quests?

With Yoko Taro I would be willing to accept the second explanation, but I am having a hard time doing so, because the rest of the game is so terrible.

>You're in a dessert
mmmmm

>im not sure what you mean
but i think Automata is a bit too grindy between dialogue sequences or something...

Automata is really not that bad.
If you think Automata is bad in that regard you never played any of the Drakengards

Drakengard 3 maybe mediocre gameplay wise and in design. But the characters and their conversations are just great, and the story is cool too, specially if you read the novellas/mangas.
It maybe the most flawed game out of all the drakengard/nier franchise, but it is still my favourite

He could have all the budget he wants and he would still reuse the same shmup crap and mediocre story telling.

Considering that ironic shitposting is still shitposting, ironic shit game design is still shit game design.
It's the same concept really, if I make a derivative and generic TPS where the character mocks gears of war and uncharted but it still plays like one I've still made a shitty game.

"shitposting" doesn't exist, brainlet.

>Drakengard 3 maybe mediocre gameplay wise and in design
No. It was barely playable garbage, don't defend the irredeemable.
It was a good game in spite of the "game" part for the reasons you mentioned.
Which is a miracle in itself.
It's why Automata is such a good game and rightfully popular. It might not be on the same level as Drakengard, but the gamplay is actually tolerable, it's not very good, but it is good enough. Unlike both of the Drakengard games.

>It's the same concept really, if I make a derivative and generic TPS where the character mocks gears of war and uncharted but it still plays like one I've still made a shitty game.
You're talking about Spec Ops: The Line, another one of those good games in spite of the "game" part?

>You're talking about Spec Ops: The Line, another one of those good games in spite of the "game" part?
No I'm talking about "Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard".
Game is basically a parody of vidya history, but it plays like a shitty derivative version of gears of war for the most part so it's still boring, and it fails hard as a result.

I liked Spec Ops because it was more Heart of Darkness than a parody of videogames.

Automata is full of shitty fetch quests, so I'd say it's just Yoko being a dipshit.

>Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard
I actually had to look that up, but as far as I can tell it's not so much like that, but really more Spec Ops.
You are forced to do boring, tedious shit, to criticize the way the genre usually works and because the devs don't have the money to make it more interesting. However you sit through those chores, because the story is intriguing enough to make you keep going.
Drakengard is the logical extreme of this.

Drakengard was his best work and he's become increasingly more bland with each new game he makes.