Either Persona 5 or Dragon Quest V tbqh

Even though I dont particularly like it because its too easy it has to be CT

Golden Sun series
Breath Of Fire series
Bravely Default

There doesn't exist a good JRPG

What is Suikoden 2?

What is Dragon Quest III?

The party custimsztion allows for a lot of options with plenty of replay value to boot
World map exploration is excellent and the world is just the perfect size not too big and not to small
Battle mechanics are well balanced and any combanition of parties can work
Nonlinear but not aimless or pointless
A real genuine plot twist that is actually unexpecting and leads into at least 6 or so more hours of playtime and rewards you from playing DQ1 and DQ2
The emphasis is on exploring the world and being on a fucking adventure instead of 2derp4u plots or embarrassing romance sub-plots.

You are no aware that the JRPG genre reached it's peak in 1988 and it has been all downhill from there.

skies of arcadia or dark cloud 2

Dark Souls

Mother 3

Undertale

Lost Odyssey

i think it really is Suikoden II

Just getting into JRPG's
Is it possible to play Xenoblade Chronicles on a wii emulator for PC?

>persona 5
Style over substance. Not even the best in its own series.

A couple of years ago, this thread would be filled with The World Ends With You-posts. I guess it wasn't really that great after all, huh.

If your computer ain't shit, yeah. I think there's an HD texture pack for the game as well.

It is by far the best game in its own series. Because it nails the gameplay, which is the main point. The other aspects are up for debate.

TWEWY is actually pretty damn good, but I've never personally considered it to be one of the very best.

Disgaea is SRPGs count. It's still japanese.

pokemon crystal

Mah niggah.

This as obviously the only reason to think that it isn't the best game ever made is that you just pretend to hate it beacause it has gotten too popular.

FFX was better

Yes and it's pretty much the definitive version of the game it looks so fucking good with the texture packs.

Any recommendations for someone just getting into JRPG's not including Final Fantasy?
I'd like to play the classics first I guess, just finished Chronotrigger so I'd like something more modern now.

Ni No Kuni

for me its Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne

Breath of Fire 3 on the PS1 is a pretty damn good. It's not exactly modern though.

CT
Nice story, not complex, not edgy simply solid.
Had a nice amoun of mini games.
Solid system without much complexity for the sake of it.
And the game doesn't take itself much seriously. Nice silly jokes and reactions.
SOLID. in every aspect.

More often than not the only people who think that is the greatest JRPG or even just the greatest Final Fantasy are those people for whom that was their first JRPG or Final Fantasy game they played.

Please answer in the form of a question.

Also, no. What the fuck have you been taking.

Yeah I'd be inclined to also still vote Chrono Trigger.

There's a wide selection you can choose from, but it might help if you say what you enjoyed/hated from Chrono Trigger.

What level should the party be for sephiroth on disk3, and is it worth getting omnislash for it? I have everyone's final weapons but only Berret/RedXIII have their lvl4 limits. Party is lvl 55-56, backups are all 45-47.

>Because it nails the gameplay, which is the main point.

But the gameplay is still shit like in the rest of the series

Too serious
Too edgy
Not even the best FF combat
Ugly as shit because first FF with 3d

>triggerniggers

Too much filler and fluff. Parts of the main story feel like side quests added for padding.

>Solid system without much complexity for the sake of it.

It also lacks any sort of depth

Xenoblade Chronicles

I so sincerely wish this game was better than it was. Fuck the gameplay I'm so glad they're changing it for 2.

Yeah, it's its flaw. But no jrpg is perfect, but I think CT is the most solid one. It embodies everything that made JRPGs popular.

>Too serious
>Too edgy

It certainly was for me. I kind of lost interest when too many helicopters and men in suits started showing up.

FFVIII took even shorter time for me to drop.

Haven't played any of the later. I hear IX and XII are pretty cool.

I only played one SMT (IV) and fuck, I fell in love!

At least we ain't talking about Chrono Cross.

>the actual gameplay is crap
>but I think CT is the most solid one

Can the best be my favourite?

I disagree.

Not crap. It just isn't as deep as other JRGs. But it had enough variation. And combinations were pretty cool.

CT's gameplay ain't crap, it's just shallow. If the game was more difficult there might have been more you could do with the battle system.

I second this as a more modern entry, but playing it right after CT might make it seem rather kitsch and very animu.

Xenoblade

then you haven't played many video games

it's crap because it's shallow. You just smash your face on the controller and win as long as you remember to toss out some healing every now and then(thought sometimes the boss starts charging and then you have to guard)

Gameplay in P5 is great, albeit a bit too far balanced in favor of the player. They literally took all of the best aspects of 3, 4 and the portable versions. Saved an assload of time with fusion by removing the random aspects and fuse by result is 2 cool

>then you haven't played many video games

I just haven't played many jrpgs. Most of them are too animu for me.

what is persona 5

You you actually get to work as a
valkyrie in this game?

CT is very anime, don't know what you're on.

It isn't at all when compared to Xenoblade.

What is Fallout 4?

Playing Chronotrigger for the first time a few weeks ago
Get to the Temple of Zeal

youtube.com/watch?v=arAOYBZZSE0

>spam the same attack attack attack heal rotation until you beat the game, sometimes throwing in some buffs if it's a boss
>Gameplay in P5 is great

I can't decide between these.

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy 7. It says so on the case.

Skyrim

>it's crap because it's shallow. You just smash your face on the controller and win as long as you remember to toss out some healing every now and then(thought sometimes the boss starts charging and then you have to guard)
You're conflating difficulty and complexity with quality. I personally prefer much more difficult games than CT, but the gameplay in CT is pretty polished all things considered, even if it is simple.

If you want good gameplay you play Western RPG's you moron

So it's crap because you think it's shallow, and it's shallow because you think it's too easy.

Okay.

You haven't seen any 90s anime? Or anything with Toriyama's artstyle?

Yep. You go places, the game shows you some horribly depressing death, then you swoop in and make them an Einherjar.

>GameFan
Probably the worst vidya magazine to ever exist

Try doing a low level hard run, or something that forces you to figure out new strategies on your own.

Those are not what people mean when they say "animu" though. And even then, Xenoblade way outdoes CT in character arc and storytelling tropes.

Yes, it's in the title. You recruit dead peoples the whole time and decide if you're gonna train them and send them to Valhalla to help with the war or keep them with you instead, which can make Odin furious and trigger bad ends etc or whether or not you find out the truth about yourself as a valkyrie.

Absolute kino and my favorite game of all time

Toriyama is not generic Animu style you dumbshit
It's one of the most iconic manga/anime styles that has the most worldwide appeal

Xenoblade doesn't outdo shit. It's way too overdramatic(MUH FIONAAAAAAA ;_;) for it's own good compared to CT's more subtle and elegant characterization.

Which it's generic by definition.

Do you get to fight in the final battle for Asgard?

Or, I guess that would be a spoiler of sorts.

Lenneth is the greatest female protag ever.

Yeah I don't want to spoil anything. It's heavily based on norse mythos though.

That's exactly what I'm talkinga bout though. It's way kitsch and animu compared to CT.

Not sure it's a nice segue into modern jrpg design right after having played CT. Which is what people were suggesting.

>CT's more subtle and elegant characterization
All that really comes to mind is Robo, and Magus to some extent. Not saying Xenoblade is a masterpiece of literature, but it's better on the character front in my mind.

The best JRPG I would argue is the first one you play. The more experience you have with the genre the less interesting each game becomes unless it really goes out of its way to be thematically different. SMT seems to be the most divergent of the typical JRPG tropes and even then with Persona overtaking it in interest and popularity, it's kind of fallen back into that samey structure.

Personally, I would make this my top 5

>Chrono Trigger
>Final Fantasy IX
>Suikoden 2
>SMT Nocturne
>Dragon Quest VIII

No it isn't. That style is unique to Toriyama.
People that tried to ape Tori's artstyle never succeeded back then

Generic is the common artstyle you see in most manga/anime. Toriyama's style has always been different from his contemporaries.

No. I don't think you understand the word generic.

Generic would be something you DIDN'T recognize the origin of, because it looked like everything else.

I hate how getting the best ending is impossible without a guide and how sending einherjars to Asgard is generally avoided for said ending. I love how the difficulty determines the dungeons you do.

Exactly.
Look at SMT. Simple as fuck battle. Yet one of the hardest JRPG series. You need to plan ahead a lot and use the right demons/fusions for the task.
CT is indeed easy compared to SMT for example.
But even tough CT isn't too deep doesn't mean it's shallow.