Which Rome should I get Sup Forums? One or two?

Which Rome should I get Sup Forums? One or two?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a6EIv9GULJU
youtube.com/watch?v=rdn0o6LFlHQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

imperator?

Depends. If old games don't bug you then rome 1. If your looking for better grafics rome 2. Rome 2 has a lot of flaws but is not bad anymore. Rome 1 is a masterpiece but a bit dated.

They're both fairly different in gameplay

>mfw that horrendous VA in Rome 2 compared to the first game

How so?

dat OST tho

youtube.com/watch?v=a6EIv9GULJU

TRI

Why not both?
Rome 1 is cheap as fuck, even with the expansions.

different engine, different map (rome 2 started the "super detail" trend of campaign maps seen in every title since, don't mind this really), rome 2 still bugged to fuck (pic related after all the patches since release) while rome 1 works perfectly if a little clunky for its age but that won't matter if you've never played a TW

Definitely get the old one. The new one is MOBA-fied trash. The old one is a lcassic.

Rome 1 is obsolete and is not even as good as most people make it out to be, and rome 2 is actually not good, so, neither?

Rome 1. It's a classic and then try out Medieval 2.

>Rome 1 is obsolete
Not with mods, no.

>not absurd cliff
Because you can land an army of thousands by boat anywhere.

Rome 1, it's still a solid game and the mods available for it are great

Rome 2 is still pretty bad even with the gorillion patches, its flawed core design can't really be fixed, props for the Divide et Impera mod team for trying though.

I've looked into this a lot recently and from what I've seen, its get Rome 2 and use divide et impera mod.

Do the mods work with the Steam version now? Last I tried Roma Surrectum was a bitch to install.

>rome 2 still bugged to fuck
rome 1 has the epic siege tower bug that is still bugged and has never been fixed.
there is a mod to sort it out though or workaround in ini files.

R1 campaign is very simple the settlement building is really easy and repetitive too.
R2 campaign is in depth, settlement building needs to be thought out and alltogether management is a better process.
The only downfall R2 has is that the familyy system from R1 is replaced with a political system.
As a TW fan who started on R1, and R1 is still my favourite game. I would suggest for OP to play R2 if they want a better campaign game.

Dunno about that, but Europa Barbarorum should work.

>The only downfall R2 has is that the familyy system from R1 is replaced with a political system.

imo the atmosphere of R2 is also much weaker

>tfw Ancient Empires mod for Attila is DOA
Why does Attila barely have any good conversion mods? It's the best historical title in terms of gameplay and mechanics but it's simply stuck in the most unfun setting of the series. Shit there are barely any mods that break up the two Roman Empires so then it wouldn't be a pain in the ass to play as them.

>hurr its beddur becuz u micro manage every settlement more
Rome 1 even has the old population system in settlements that makes growth buildings hugely important for the prosperity of the settlement and whether your army will be capable of regening, meanwhile Rome 2 has docks and other things branched out, wew so great, really makes up for the shitty battles as a result of the poor pairing with the warscape engine and the bugs.

The biggest flaw of R2 right there. It simply doesn't have the atmosphere that makes Rome 1 so good. The music is trash. The graphic art style is trash. The maps are less distinctive. The battles don't even look as good. The gameplay is also bogged down by retarded MOBA-style spells with cooldown.

I much prefer the first game, especially with Europa Barborum mod installed. But the second game is still good and is much much better then it was at release.

Rome 2 is basically just a prettier version with more factions and units but worse gameplay.

>settlement building needs to be thought out and alltogether.
This.
The improvments made to shogun 2 with the city building is far superior to the old style. The game is now about make specially provances and resource management then just building every building in every city. Quality over quantity.

Units don't regen in 1. You just retrain them in a city which is very annoying and micro heavy

To be fair, the first games VA was horrendous too but it was horrendous in a campy fun sort of way rather than just irritating.

Because Attila is sadly barely played. Combination of coming from bad last game and not many interested in the time period.

Rome 1 VA at least feels like someone gave a fuck and really got into the VA. Rome 2 VA is people pretending to do the same, but they can't do it because they wanted to keep it SRS BSNS. Not a single modern Total War game has had good VA. I can't tell with Shogun 2 because it's all Japanese.

FOTS is the best game in the series from a mechanical point of view. Unfortunately it's stuck in boring Japan.

If a FOTS-like game was released for Ancient Europe, it would've been the greatest TW ever. But for now, Rome 1 with mods is.

That's what I meant, just have regen stuck in my head from playing all the new games. I loved how I had to think before sacking shit to see whether slaughtering the population would benefit me if I had to retrain quickly after building up the requisite military buildings.

>micro heavy
it hardly takes any micro, unlike settlement building where you have to look over all the settlements you don't give a shit about, meanwhile you do (or should) give more of a shit about your armies than settlements and monotonous empire building (which I also enjoy but it's not the bread and butter of the game)

SHAMEFUR DISPRAY

get attila if you dont mind horrible optimization

That can change with mods though, since you have one that is basically what Rome 2 should've been and another that turns the game into Medieval 3. Problem is that we'll never know when they'll decide to finally release those mods.

>Total War Grand Master Collection
>Total War Master Collection Sept 2014
Which one should I get, Sup Forums?

:::Objective Total War Tier List:::

>God Tier
Total War: Shogun 2
>High Tier
Total War: Warhammer
Total War: Attila
Total War: Napoleon
Total War: Medieval 2
>Mid Tier
Total War: Empire
Total War: Rome 2
Total War: Rome
>Low Tier
Total War: Shogun 1
Total War: Medieval 1

t. 16 yearold

>settlement building needs to be thought out and alltogether management is a better process.

Tbh with the system in Rome 2 you get dumb shit with huge cities like Rome having only 5 building slots because the 6th one is always a port, not to mention there isn't really strategy, everyone just makes the province capital have the military buildings while the minor settlements have the farms and/or temples (that later get converted into farms once the public order stabilizes and your culture is the biggest one in the province)

They fix it somewhat in Attila, there's really no point in playing Rome 2 anymore when Attila exists.

>Empire

>dat feel when STILL can't buy Rome 2 and Attila without paying an arm and a leg for them

I'm not paying $30 each and that's at 75% discount. Fuck that shit. SEGA discontinued Complete versions, though.

Shogun 2 my friend.

>not building around wonders, strategic, and trade resources

Attila isn't that expensive but why did they have to lock out factions in a paywall when they're already IN THE FUCKING BASE GAME CAMPAIGN

The battles maybe. But are you really saying that the city building in FOTS is better than R2's or Attilas?

Who here hype for Total War: China?

Am I the only one that calls the new games by their name, and then Total War?
Warhammer Total War sounds better than Total War: Warhammer to me.

DADODO

>wasting a building slot with stuff you don't actually need

Only mandatory resource building is iron since it helps upgrade your troops and horse trainers if you're a filthy hammer and anvil fag

If you have a 20 stack that all needs training odds are you'll have to switch only a proportion of those in and out with the units you have garrisons in a city

Not really. The main province I usually turn into an economic powerhouse since taxes are usually better there. Then I use some province (hopefully with iron) to make every single military building, including buffers like temples and the ones that give xp (which can only be built in the capital mind you).

TRIARIEYE

>shogun S tier
>Rome mid tier
>objective

I think we can all agree Med 2 and R1 are top tier TW games

I just don't get what the fuck they were thinking with Warhammer.

Total Warhammer was the logical name for it.

>paying an arm and a leg for them
>CA sale right now
>R2 and Atilla is £7.50

Because Total War™ and Warhammer™ are two different IPs

Combining the two sounds like a legal nightmare, especially when dealing with Games Workshop who are notoriously jewy with their franchises

What are the best mods for attila rn?

How's Third Age Total War?

yeah I call it Rome total war.
originally the games wer called that until they "rebranded" at Shogun 2 iwith total war being first.

The best LOTR game ever made.

>Rome II

First and last pre order

>pre-ordered rome 2
>said I'd never buy a TW again
>bought Attila
>bought Warhammer
>pre-ordered Warhammer 2
someone stop me

same, it was broke as fuck at launch too.
I remember having a massive battle, controlling and winning the battle just for a few routed troups to be camping on a random point in the middle of nowhere on the battlefield, take the point a make me lose.
Stupid

Last TW game I have bought.
might buy a R3 or M3 if they ever make one, but pick it up cheap.
dont want to support their jewishness.

What? The games AI was the best yet

>Med2
>Not god tier
Faggot

We´re in the same boat.

Just because there is a new game, rome 1 isnt obsolete, rome 2 took away more than or added it's a shit game and a horrible waste of money that you will regret as soon as you open it and see you have to buy the rest of the game
t. Someone who didnt grow up with total war but played both romes later in life

Rome I has better graphics and a much better battle engine

Rome II is fucking shit like every Total War game made after 2007. Includes Shogun II.

what the fuck. Haven't played Rome 2 but from my experience of MEdieval 2 and shogun 2 you can take your troops, attack the rear and win.
This is retarded pathfinding.

AI is broken af user, it was one of the major issues people complained at on launch.
idgaf as I don't play the games for a challenge in battles but my gripe was that they added these random cap points in the middle of the battlefield, so you can win the battle early, I routed and nearly killed an entire unit, it ran off, then came back to the battlefield and capped a point on the battlefield that was nowhere near the battle.
I lost the match because of it, despite that i was winning.
I was pissed off.

3 mid/high tier pikes > A whole army
Rome 2 in a nutshell

Rome 2. It took years to get to this stage, but we finally got there, and 2 has become the better game. Atilla is still the best Total War game though, so there's that.

>Atilla is still the best Total War game though
>not medieval 2
wat

I play Rome II with a mod that replaces all the music with Rome TW music. Makes the battles so much better.

>medieval 2
Wat

Brainlet detected, I love medieval 2 for its mods but the game is janky as fuck and straight up broken.

The worst path finding by far (fuck moving units on/off walls), units not fucking doing what you tell them to, multiple unit types being broken in different ways (pikemen don't use their fucking pikes most of the time, crossbowmen and gunners wont shoot from castle walls, animation for halberds is OP, cavalry physics are super OP), shitty stat balancing (shield + sword knights beat all other knights by a massive amount, any cav unit) ect.

I honestly want to see if Attila is the best game but it runs like terribly compared to Rome 2 amazing optimization for a TW game. Have a GTX 1070 and i5k CPU.

Medieval 1, Rome 1, Medieval 2 and Attila are my favourites.

Many A True Nerds playthrough of Rome: Total War made me want to play it but I don't have a PC is there anything similar on Xbox?

No, its mostly because it is badly optimized when compared to other TW games.

Campain Ai is broken as fuck also. Im yet to play a campaing where an ally hasn't declared war on me because I left our peaceful boarder unprotected. In multiple games the Ai tends to favor attacking the player completely ignoring other enemies to attack you even it it is out of the way..

To be fair most of the map stuff is just clutter. Next you'll be praising M2 for Merchants. The resources were just a way to pad out the map (richer regions get some 3d models scattered around, whatever they're all ultimately just a few more bucks a month). It's actually easier to see the roads on the new one and the settlements look better. I'm still a bigger fan of Rome 1 but the new map isn't bad looking.

god I miss the good maps, even Warhammer's campaign map is so stale.
Playing Medieval 2 right now doing Sicily and it feels so good getting those trade lanes going

Pre-order Rome 2 they said

It will be fun they said

honestly the only thing dragging it down is the Pope system. just lemme conquer (for christ sake)

The combat in R2 is complete shit. Also R1 is harder to finish, your empire really starts to fall to cooperation/public order problems when it starts to grow.

Also R1 has god tier music. >youtube.com/watch?v=rdn0o6LFlHQ
>playing as the ancestors of the white races just now forming civilization

Divide Et Impera's current release for Rome II is by far the best Total War game.

To this day it still boggles my mind how can anyone defend Rome 2. Even with the """""""improved""""""" Emperor's Edition and Divide et Impera I can't stand playing it for more than 50 turns.

Rome 1. Once you're bored of it, mod it and you'll triple the lifespan. Rome 2 honestly isn't terrible any more, but I don't like the feel of battles compared to Rome 1. The battles are supposed to be half the fucking game.

Pope system is really easily to not only handle but use as a weapon. Calling crusades on your enemies feels so satisfactory

The old one is good but 2 is definitely better, despite its shaky release but the most glaring issues are fixed.

I tried this mod and found out that Macedonia gets a 200 size cav super bodyguard and then I became cum

great mod

I'll give you that. It's great as Venice, not so fun w/ England and boy I love playing England.

It's also the only Total War release I've ever played with good battle AI, full stop.

Rome 1 is great fun but has some glaring issues in vanilla

Because no other TW's siege battles are bugged the fuck out, right.

No where near as much. Only Empire really comes to mind. What bugged out for you?

none

Is the average fan of this series a retard like ?

How do play both Romes back to back and not notice the glaring design in the sequel?

Fuck everything.

noticed how ugly vanilla Rome II compared to Shogun 2?