Hidden mechanics

Bunch of devs fessd up
mobile.twitter.com/Gaohmee/status/903510060197744640
Some of these are pretty creative

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6xqtgz/an_insightful_thread_where_game_developers/dmhz7fa/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Interesting. Also, that bitch is hot.

>looks like a dude in drag

c'mon son

>persee

>If you call your own phone number in Surgeon Simulator, it calls your actual phone irl with a hint on how to unlock one of the hidden levels

I have to try this shit.

>Assassin's Creed and Doom value the last bit of health as more hit points than the rest of it to encourage a feeling of *JUST* surviving.
I knew about that in Ass Creed and regening to 2 health bars really made the game easy as shit.

>In games with nitro/boost mode, the actual speed increase is often small, hidden by the FOV pull + psychological sensation of being "faster"

All those fooking neowwww moments have been for nothing

RE4 has a very intricate dynamic difficulty adjustment system under the hood. Almost every action you take, including dying and re-trying, successfully shooting an enemy, missing an enemy, getting hit, dodging a hit from an enemy, and so on leads to changing the internal difficulty slider. This affects the health of enemies, their aggressiveness, and even the amount that spawn. If you die enough some enemies simply won't spawn, such as the group of scythe-wielding ganados in the infamous water room. The devs went through great efforts to create this mechanic that ideally you'd never realize exists.

>giving attention whores and one of the biggest blights in the Aus gaming industry even more attention

Kys

>the tutorial in Halo 2 asked player to look up. Their input determined whether y-axis would be inverted

I wish someone would spoonfeed me a compilation because some of that stuff is interesting, but I just can't sit through all her "Wow that's cool :)" and random guys trying to be cute with her

This is pretty clever if true

Uh

What's worse is he didn't even at least misspell it in a way that's common, like per say. At least say SOUNDS like what he meant.

Skyrim also has this

I would just copypasta from the reddit post instead of linking there but it's longer than the Sup Forums character limit.
reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6xqtgz/an_insightful_thread_where_game_developers/dmhz7fa/

Same thing in CE.
I thought this was common knowledge. I mean why else would the game make you do that, check your controller is workng?

It's a fucking typo you autists

He might be trolling but I wouldn't put it past people here to fall for anything that crossdresses because of how stupidly inobservant they are. I wish they'd at least fall for a reasonably cute trap, but when it has a manjaw or some other notably masculine feature, it's just laughable.

Wait, Hellblade doesn't actually have permadeath?

no it doesn't.

Did you never play Halo 2?

It's two typos at least.

Lots of games tell you about camera controls just to make sure you know how to look around. It's a common part of tutorial levels.

>misspell something
>IT'S A TYPO

>Spec Ops: The Line changed stuff in the environment suddenly to make the player question his perception.
More like it had fucked up LOD.

I've only played 3. That starts with your suit frozen and a guy telling you to look in different directions to calibrate it.

Why would I play such an old game?

That's the exact same mechanic. When he asks you to look up, you'll look up no matter what direction (up or down) you input and the game will invert or not based on that.

No.

What if you look to the side?

I've always assumed this was what was happening in most games that do that kind of "calibration" thing.

it swaps the horizontal and vertical axes, meaning when you push up you look to the right. Duh.

>Halo 2
>Old

Are you barely old enough to post here or something

Nothing. You're limited to y axis in that moment.

Then it decides you're too retarded to follow simple instructions and shuts itself down

Unreal Tournament is the first game I remember with this feature. It was a checkbox that adjusted the bots based on how well you did. Getting to Godlike difficulty and winning felt great.

Max Payne 1 and 2 also did this.

Gen 6 games haven't aged that much, user

I still don't get why people get mad at Bethesda for this.

It's 13 years old
A literal 5 year old would be old enough to post here now

I don't get mad but it's pretty funny

Isn't Halo 2 the one that opened the floodgates of regenerating health shooters

>Jak and Daxter would trip players to mask the presence of loading
That's so silly. Is some loading time really worse than randomly tripping from time to time?

Halo 2 came out closer to the first DOOM game than it did to today, it's 13 years old.

More like games haven't advanced much since gen 6.

>"Far Cry 4 deliberately turns down the accuracy and damage of NPCs the more there are near the player. Helping you feel like a badass. :)"

just remember casuals ruined the entire videogame industry

Trip? What? If you mean like elevator rides and teleports, thats okay to me

I think it might have been Combat Evolved. CoD picked it up after that.

The race you select in Deus Ex actually affects certain values. Blacks have higher stealth, the albino uses less bioenergy, the redman.. he gets a larger damage reduction bonus when drunk or taking drugs

The location your bullets actually come from change based off of your proximity to an enemy in Gears of War.

>western devs are so incompetent and lazy they take shortcuts and hide them as "hidden features"
lol

No, it would do things like swap a lush green tree for a barren one that looked like it had burned if you looked away from it.

Even though it's a smart way of doing it, I'm sure many people expected a bit more out of a company like bethesda.

I read it like you actually trip and have to get up while the game takes that time to load features ahead of you.

because it's lazy

What game stops me from mastubating to the characters?

Why would anyone assume it's anything else but a graphical glitch? Well unless it's your first game ever or something.

>Blacks have higher stealth
>Not extra carrying capacity
Eh, close enough, 9/10,

CE had regenerating shields but not health, you still picked up health packs. 2 ditched the health bar, and afaik was the first shooter to do so and then CoD 4 picked it uo and made it widespread

Games should not hide relevant information.

Yeah, there's a certain point where fixing your shit with string and duct tape stops being smart and instead becomes cheap. Especially when you're being sold the duct-taped mess.

Enemy behavior in RE4 is affected by your camera. If an enemy is outside your FOV, his aggressiveness will decrease as to lessen the chances of you getting hit without warning. In the same way, certain enemy attacks cannot be used if you aren't looking at them. Lunging attacks, such as those by the dogs, will not be launched unless you point the camera at them. This means that one way to get through the dog-infested hedge maze is to run through while looking at the sky. You will never be ambushed by those annoying lunge attacks and can get through mostly safely.

Guns in fallout are coded with the spell scripts from skyrim/oblivion.

because it shows how pathetic the engine is

What's the alternative then? Creating a whole transport system from scratch? Such a system would probably be less functional because of its complexity too, this is Bethesda after all.
Nobody would have even known about this shortcut if it weren't constantly paraded around, it's working smarter not laziness.

Just because you can't tell the difference between glitch and intended effect doesn't mean no one else can.

>Most of the projectiles in Titanfall 2 have hitboxes that expand as they travel, so it's slightly easier to hit fast targets at range.
Glad I didn't buy this shit.

In Empire Earth, the enemy AI would advance through the eras with you. So if you rush an era hoping to get ahead, that would be a waste - the AI advances for free.
Instead you can intentionally stall the era until you get the units/buildings/resources you want, then advance it for a timed push.

No. You build the same model that you just built for the head. Instead of having a man run under ground you just move the model along a path at a set speed.

>Left 4 Dead 2 also famously had a "director AI" that was supposed to scale the difficulty based on player performance. I guess it worked?
Woah

same in mgs5

But it doesn't make any difference to the player so why bother if it's easier to do the running man?

>Mortal Kombat arcade AI read your inputs

But if you knew about these things it would ruin the magic.

They do say the best programmers are lazy programmers. Why waste time making something complex when you can get the same result a lot easier?

god damn cheating piece of shit

Because of the subject matter of Spec Ops, it's obvious it's intentional.

CE had health packs but started the mechanic of hiding behind cover for a few seconds before being combat-ready again, which laid the foundation for others to copy it. It was also CoD 2 which picked it up, not 4.

bullshit, really?

This doesn't make sense to me. How would an AI with wallhacks be able to give another AI hints?

Or achieve the same effect for less work with literally no issue other than some nerd thinking it is lazy.

People don't understand game development and how designers just make it work within their given toolset since the programmers on the team are busy. Games are nothing but smoke and mirrors which retards don't understand.

Fucking hilarious though

Same mechanic exists in DMC4. Very useful in the Bloody Palace. Enemies will not start attacking if they are off screen period. But many enemies have long start ups for attacks so sometimes just glancing at them with the camera triggers one.

There's no point in doing that though. It's likely that the functions for having NPCs patrol around were created before the transport system so they just used those with a really fast NPC instead of creating extra code and models for literally no gain.
Like I said, nobody noticed or talked about any issue with the transport until somebody found that train armour piece (probably by accident) and started spreading it around. If your laziness is invisible to the player it isn't laziness at all, it's intelligent use of resources.

It could be as simple as saying hot or cold to just pinging the direction the player is every few seconds.

Glitches don't work like that.

It basically a "Hot/Cold" game between the two AIs. One that oversees the player's movement and the other trying to find the player based on the Overseeing AI's hints

>Getting warmer, waaarrrmmmerrrr, ice cold, hot red hot

Thanks for explanation.

This is literally almost every fighting game's high level CPU you fucking idiot

It's not a question of subject matter, it's a question of quality and programming. You'll excuse me, but Spec Ops is no gameplay or programming masterpiece. It's a generic, by-the-numbers third person shooter rushed out way before the devs could even complete it according to their vision. Graphical glitches are to be expected in such a game.

Think if the same thing happened in a Bethesda game. Of course you'd assume it's a glitch. Now granted Bethesda games are a little more buggy than Spec Ops, but you see my point.

kek, this is why you'll never work in the industry

Yeah, I remember reaching a room with two Garradors in ly firsr playthrough, and dying there a few times. Eventually one of them just despawned, which was good because I didn't have enough ammo and lept trying to kill both with the knife

Shmups have had dynamic difficulty years before UT

>HOTHOTHOTHOTHOT BEEEEEEP!

1101101010101 10011010101010111101!

I see the point that you're an idiot who can't into good game design

ai knows where you are 100% of the time. its just a matter of tricking or dunbing down the ai

This game was pure comfy kino

Because it shows how woefully inflexible the technology is. Anyone using Unity or especially Unreal could make a "transport system" as you call it in less than an hour if they know their way around the editors. They wouldn't even have to dig into scripting much beyond an interface for controls.
Even look at Warframe's evolution engine and the lead designer's Sunday streams. The engine is at least 6 years old and in an afternoon they can add new systems that have nothing to do with third-person shooters, including 6DoF space flight sims both on and off-rails with autopilot. And this is a f2p game that was never expected to last a few months beyond the initial Kickstarter.

To put it into perspective: Bethesda's incompetence is at least equally as colossal as my autism.