CPU in PS4 is less than half as powerful as Cell CPU in PS3

>CPU in PS4 is less than half as powerful as Cell CPU in PS3
Why didn't they just rehash it into PS4?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P2dvhoBbqw8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat_(microarchitecture)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)#Design
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Source?

cell is double the flops of the jaguar

Oh look it's this thread again.

it's cheaper and use less power
But because of hardware advances even if it's weaker it might be better at computing things

The Cell was still far too experimental. Sony was hoping that investors and other tech companies would adopt it, and improve it, while divulging their progress. They learned the hard way that companies are only interested in a working product, that doesn't have a thousand undiscovered exploits.

Neofag forums.

>Sup Forums tries to into technology
just stop before i die of second-hand embarrassment

Because theyre not even pretending that the bone and the 4 aren't the same thing anymore.

the ps3 CPU was unnecessarily powerful though. in truth they gambled with a lot of the things they did with the ps3, like the price, blurays, the power, the controller they immediately went back on, etc.

Let's hear it then, dweeb. What's your little best buy geek squad hot take on this bit of news, chump? Come on, dork, speak up. I can't hear your little ugly nasally weaselly nerd voice that well.

>PS3 was initially supposed to have two Cell CPUs and no GPU
Imagine how badly Sony would get raped last gen if they actually did this.

The CPU cores in the APU/PS4 are more powerful than the single CPU core in the Cell/PS3.

The GPU cores in the APU/PS4 are considerably more powerful than the SPEs in the Cell/PS3.

The way the hardware is utilized is not quite the same.

by all means, elaborate

A programmer's analogy.

Cell is like thirty or so drunk teenagers and two average teachers trying to herd them. Jaguar is like eight German Army generals.

The teenagers are so drunk that they have to cluster together to walk, but when it comes to breaking ice with bare fists, they will probably be a better fit. The thing is, GPU is like a swarm of intoxicated crows that's even better at it (except they use beaks, but that's just a little implementation detail).

Thats not a source.

>CPU is the most important thing in a graphics based hardware solution
what is a GPU

There are tasks in games that are very CPU-heavy.
For example physics.

IBM wasn't going to produce them anymore, the Cell design was a technological dead end.

Game developers are too unintelligent to unlock its full potential so they switched to a basic x86 architecture.

>lain posting retard has no idea how computers work
pottery

>shit a valid point, lets deflect for no reason to look smart without context to the discussion
anyone who cares has a PC. and they are already working on physics cards because offloading it all on the CPU lags like a bitch, and they can't do fluid sims in real time yet.

The Cell is kinda like an early prototype APU. It has a general purpose core that is used to run an OS and most software and it also has a bunch of specialized cores that are good at doing relatively simple tasks and crunching numbers. The approach is not very different from a modern APU with CPU cores and GPU cores on the same processor. The main difference is the Cell wasn't well supported ever. Sony completely fumbled the launch and devs just ended up treating the PS3 like an Xbox 360 with fewer cores.

fuck (you)

IBM doesn't have any GPU IP of their own, so they couldn't offer a SoC with a modern GPU without a licensing deal with a third party.

None of the ARM vendors could offer a CPU core at that time that could compete with the Jaguar CPU.

Intel couldn't offer reasonable GPU performance without leaning on a more powerful CPU in a much more expensive package.

Having an AMD64 architecture I'm sure helps out some of Microsoft's goals of turning Windows PCs into nothing more than glorified Xboxes, but I doubt that was high on Sony's reasons for the PS4.

>power doesn't matter you have a PC for that
No, sweetie
>having a card dedicated to physics
This is already proven to be absolutely useless and has no impact on performance whatsoever
Fuck off to lainchan you fucking retard

Bcoz GPU > CPU for video games. And PS3 GPU can't play PS4 games.

Beats me. The PS4 could use the Cell's infinite power.

>This is already proven to be absolutely useless and has no impact on performance whatsoever
NVidia literally killed a company that was building these so it could push PhysX. Doing physics on a GPU is still kinda shit but at least its better than on a CPU.

Seeing threads like these on Sup Forums makes my head hurt. We had this discussion back in Sup Forums when Sup Forums was still decent.

you replied to the same person twice, and no it was not proven useless it has scientific applications and when it comes down in price it -will- be used in games. im done arguing with you about shit you know nothing about.

youtube.com/watch?v=P2dvhoBbqw8

ZoE is one of the primary examples that baka gaijins are just code monkeys who treated the Cell like a basic x86 CPU. It runs like absolute garbage in its initial state.
Meanwhile the Glorious Nippon developers from Hexa-Drive which have been folded 1000 times have managed to offload all the vector calculations that were handled by the PS2's VPUs to the Cell's SPUs, which made the actually run how it was supposed to.

One problem with that: The Jaguar cores in the PS4/Xbone SOC chips aren't Bulldozer.

It will be interesting for next-gen systems like Valve's rumored second take on the Steam Machine which will use a Ryzen+Vega SOC with the excellent open source drivers and which may use Clang/LLVM for the Ryzen core's executable, physics on the GPU (OpenCL SPIR-V) and graphics (Vulkan SPIR-V).

>in a university class in 2012
>tutor says that the cell is still one of the most powerful CPU's available on a home machine
Made me uncomfortable obtaining knowledge from someone so retarded.

ADD MOAR COARS

>that shitty linux font
fuck off back to Sup Forums you gaylord.

wow thats a shitty analogy lol

The discussion happened after specs were leaked, but before PS4 actually got released. Everyone can only guess what are those "Jaguar" cores (based on).

At the time it may have been one of the most powerful still. Not like top 5 but like top 50 or something. "One of the most powerful" is just vague enough to be technically correct even when it should be considered wrong by nearly everyone

retarded bait thread

Yeah, no. It should have been clear to everyone that it was an evolution of AMD's 'cat' family of low power cores.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat_(microarchitecture)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)

Its hard to beat unlimited power.

I don't think the Jaguar even had floating point hardware.

People don't know how to code for cell

Because Cell is expensive and hard to use. Your regular game programmer will make better use of x86 architecture than Cell, which is more suitable for servers or super computers.

Of course it does basically every x86 processor since the Pentium does.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)#Design

>Two-way 128-bit wide floating-point and packed integer execution

The FP performance of the Cell is superior I think but when you factor in the GPU cores in the APU Jaguar is superior in every category.

>the more power you use the more power it gives you
Hmm

Because the programming model of the CELL is literally cancer. A the same time the PC ecosystem is really easy to work with and well supported. For most vidya making a "console_x" version is a matter of switching compilation/build options in your engine and everything just works.

source: I am a professional programmer.

because T3H C3LL! was a hard to program for cancer that was terrible at gaming related tasks and got it's ass handed to it by the then newly released core 2 duo.

I fucking hate how everybody nowadays is a pretentious shitposter that thinks because he once had Unity downloaded and built his computer on his own with a YT tutorial he knows everything about coding or CPU architecture. I bet you don't even know the difference between x86 and x64 architecture. Spoiler: there is none.

The reason behind them going back to a x86 architecture is that it is easier to develop for as PCs and Xbox have x86 and porting to PS3 was more than just porting, it was almost building the game up from scratch (OK, at least the actual programming, ofc not modelling amd sound etc.)

And what makes you think that the Cell is more powerful? You cannot compare these types of architecture directly like that. It is true though that with it's broadband calculations it could perform up to 200GFlops and outperform the Xbox 360 by far but that doesn't make it the better processor objectively for all gaming applications. I do think that it is sad that the Cell wasn't used to it's full potential but people like Sup Forumsirgins were the first to cry about the high cost of the first PS3 (which was so prices because it had to have to different processors to enable downwards compatibility, which now that it's gone everybody cries about) and how Sony fucked up because they tried to meme a new architecture instead of going with what everybody else used.

>was terrible at gaming related tasks
Only because most Western ""developers"" didn't know or care about how to utilize the SPUs properly so they used it as a standard single-core CPU.

The infinite power of the Cellâ„¢ was too much for any developer to handle.

Gamedevelopers nowadays still don't bother to use multicore to it's full potential. That's (one of the reasons) why indie games like Ark or Pubg run like garbage.

They would but not because that would have been technologically inferior but because devs would've had an even harder time to develop for PS3.

Are YOU drunk? I do appreciate the creativity of your analogy, though.

Simple but solid post.

Because Cell is what doomed PS3.

Fucker was a pain to code for.