One pf the best parts of Japanese games are the boss fights

>One pf the best parts of Japanese games are the boss fights.

>One of the worst parts of western games are the boss fights.

My theory is that Japanese developers still remember they are making a game.
While western developers still believe they are making a "Interactive Experience"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/B_Ud2XpggD0?t=326
youtu.be/LG5hr18qUVg?t=598
youtube.com/watch?v=q-zsONLYqzs
youtube.com/watch?v=_IWDBuxmjog
youtube.com/watch?v=3JfCYgxrQ_M
youtube.com/watch?v=SI57isiAFd8
youtube.com/watch?v=vctZg1TItQA
youtube.com/watch?v=TvpRdZJpZnU
youtube.com/watch?v=l4rNx7uhjBY
youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8sKqsTycY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

spaget

dumb spaghetti poster

I was going to disagree with specific examples but then I remember a larger portion of other examples that would end up proving you right.

So fuck it.You're wrong anyways. I win.

Can you give me some modern western games with great bosses? It's been a while since I played a single player west game.

Tamamo is cute!

The one off the top of my head was going to be the 4 horseman in summoner. But then I flash forward to the last boss of that same game which fucked me and everything I was going to say up

Jap games
>gameplay
>boss fights

Western games
>atmosphere
>soundtracks

Agreed?

>soundtracks
Depends on the period of time.
90's?
Sure
Now?
Fuck no. Most western games have soundtrack that sound absolutely lovely when you pay the least amount of attention to them but can never hold up on their own outside of the games you're listening to.

Cuphead looks great

I think there's something to be said here about indie developers. I think they understand that they're making a "game", and not an "interactive experience" like the big guys. Indie games may suffer a lot from lack of resources (look at how many of them advertise procedural generation like it's something to be proud of), but they still remember that they are, in fact, making a video game and not a playable movie.

Yeah, although it's understandable that indie games have the flexibility to be more niche and experimental. I love how Cuphead has such a strong aesthetic but doesn't choose it over tight controls and solid gameplay design. The gameplay would hold up regardless of the visuals, and they instead used the artstyle to affect things like the movesets of the bosses. It's integral to how the game works, but the gameplay is above most other modern releases without relying on long cutscenes.

>Most western games have soundtrack that sound absolutely lovely when you pay the least amount of attention to them but can never hold up on their own outside of the games you're listening to.
is that really a bad thing? it's a soundtrack for a game, it wasn't meant to be listened to outside of that context

>Soundtracks
Not anymore.

>is that really a bad thing
In a way because everything now is just the same formulaic dribble that you could interchange with other games and would likely never notice the difference. The killing of expression in the music industry is part of the reason that when games (mostly indie) come out with actual good music everybody is thrown away, not realizing that this used to be the rule, not the exception.

I think Western games do music better, at least in terms of making music that suits a game and enhances the atmosphere. In most modern games killing the music would dampen the experience, but you can't recall the orchestral track afterwards. It fits so fluidly into the experience that you can't distinguish it. The game's missing without it but you can't imagine it without the game either. Take a JRPG's soundtrack and paste it into another game and it would work just as well. Hell, you could probably swap the soundtrack of any two NES games and it would be fine. Western music is highly underrated IMO, since they're often performed with live musicians and are tailored to rise and fall in time with the events of a cutscene (or more impressively when they rise/fall dynamically during a player-controlled gunfight). Japanese songs are mainly just catchier.

hollow knight

>since they're often performed with live musicians
sometimes it's hard to tell. the guy who composes for elder scrolls uses VSTs (virtual instruments) but is very skilled with them and knows how to make them sound real.

Compare that to the boss fights in Rabi Ribi

Jap games
>gameplay
>boss fights
>atmosphere
>soundtracks

Western games
>Diversity

Arcade shmups
>gameplay
>boss fights
>atmosphere
>soundtracks

Whatever trash you play
>

Any questions?

indies don't count.

...according to your arbitrary rules
according to my arbitrary rules, indies count

>Take a JRPG's soundtrack and paste it into another game and it would work just as well.
Not even remotely true

Take
youtu.be/B_Ud2XpggD0?t=326

Paste it here:
youtu.be/LG5hr18qUVg?t=598

Tell me if you won't instantly notice something is fucked up.

Take the soundtrack of Lufia 2 and replace it with the soundtrack of Legend of Mana and see if those two things don't clash immediately.

How about we do an easy one. Take Arc the Lad 3 and replace it with Suikoden III. None of the songs in Arc the Lad 3 fit that world. How about Saga Frontier 2? Replace it

youtube.com/watch?v=q-zsONLYqzs

with some of the shit in hyperdimension neptunia
youtube.com/watch?v=_IWDBuxmjog

Fuck while I'm at it, take Wild Arms 2, a western theme JRPG that's filled with all that late 90's anime action and replace it's music with Chrono Cross.

Can't be fucking done.

But I can replace a fuckload of WRPGS with each other and give them to you and you will never be able to tell the difference.

Hollow night bosses are acualy animated and physically attack you.

Rabi Rabi bosses are just low res sprites that fill the screen whit patterned bullets.
Bosses in rabi rabi could literally be ambiguous shapes and still serve the same purpose.
While bosses in Hollow night can only realy function as bosses if they look like actual things.
Its easier to design bullet pasterns than actual animated bosses.

For got the last videos

Wild Arms
youtube.com/watch?v=3JfCYgxrQ_M

Chrono Cross
youtube.com/watch?v=SI57isiAFd8

I want to eat shit balls too.

>than actual animated bosses
I would be inclined to agree with you but the meat of those boss fights are the subject of this particular topic and Rabi Ribi's bosses have more nuanced patterns that lend themselves to more engaging (I wouldn't say better per se) boss fights.

Going off on a tangent with examples;
Compare
youtube.com/watch?v=vctZg1TItQA
to
youtube.com/watch?v=TvpRdZJpZnU

You may like King K Rool more ( or don't) but of the two Mario requires more interaction to achieve its main goal.

Like I do get what you're saying, but I can't give points just because the bosses attack physically when

That said, for the sake of making my point more easily digestible. Contrast Hollow Knight with Muramasa

Is this superposed to make fun of western devs or validate his opinion?

Interesthing that in the west only indies do Boss fights.
Why?

Same reason everything gets fucked. Lackof creativity.

So you are saying that big devs in the west have no creativity?

It kind of feels bad that I rarely play western games anymore. I don't actively avoid them, but most of them just don't seem to interest me anymore. Last one I played that really hooked me was Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, and that had almost everything I love in a game: great soundtrack, interesting setting and characters, different ways to go through the game. Now, making this post more relevant to the OP, the boss fights in that were kind of okay. The game was a pseudo-shooter with a focus on roleplaying, so I didn't go in expecting the best bosses ever, but there was only like one that I would say could have been fun: fighting the cultist priest when both he and the player have access to celerity was actually a good bossfight. Most of them from memory were just "shoot them until they die and run around in an unchanging pattern", though. At least they weren't overly difficult so players could progress through the story.

In general, boss fights are supposed to be a type of exam of gameplay mechanics. If you can't do a certain thing well enough, you can't progress in the game, or you won't get the reward for beating that boss. A notable example is Metal Gear Rising's Bladewolf fight testing if you know how to parry. As you said, there are games that are desinged as a "Interactive Experience". Here, the focus of the boss fight is creating a dramatic situation, with the gameplay mechanics involved being a minor concern.

youtube.com/watch?v=l4rNx7uhjBY

Yes

Name at lest 5 western AAA games that ware truly creative and never before seen content.

It's not that they have no creativity; it's the publishers that can't afford to take big risks, or more specifically that the large publishers are only there to make as much money as possible. The devs always seem enthusiastic, even for big titles like Titanfall. They're just forced by their publishers to play it safe and aim for the largest demographic.

why does she have cottonballs in her ears?

There is only one fate anime girl who has my heart

I can't find the words to describe my disgust

this

give spagnetti eating cat gf

Western games having better soundtracks? You guys are fucking nuts.

Best route?

Only a few people are saying that. And older western soundtracks were indeed of quality or better than some soundtracks

youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8sKqsTycY

So were older Japanese games so that doesn't mean much.

I think I'd have to say Arcueid's route was my favorite.

Satsuki route will be the best

I was comparing it to older soundtracks. Newer western soundtracks are generally background filler noise that end up being interchangeable wit each other.

And I could make that argument for companies like compile heart but they still put out games that are unique in the sound component,
regardless of how much I hate those miserable excuse of games