What is the correct answer?

What is the correct answer?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/9a9h2fbr
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A

It was already scientifically proven that it's B

Only retards that don't know about Einsteins rule of relativity think it's A

It would be A if the piston goes slow, but those lines make it seem it goes down rather fast, which means that the block is also relative fast going out, so the obvious correct answer is B

Nether, portals don't stay in moving objects

You're right but it really isn't that apparent of an analogy, it looks like something completely unrelated at first glance

This so much

B
Comparing portals to a scenario in which no laws of physics are broken is somehow correct in your little monkey brain?

How do you have the brain activity to type?

delet this

A

>Thinking this case works the same way as the ceiling from the Forest Temple

the sad thing is that I bet there are still some people who really believe it is B, and not just trolls

@389154604
Here's your (you) user, have a wonderful day.

does this occur in a vaccuum?

Both break laws of physics in different ways, but I'm gonna go with B, because the top half of the cube (which has already exited the portal) will already be going fast. It'll probably pull the rest of the cube with it.

strawpoll.com/9a9h2fbr

strawpoll.com/9a9h2fbr

strawpoll.com/9a9h2fbr

BTFO

No, anwer faggot. A or B

Plop. Always plop.

You have 30 seconds to tell me what difference it would make if the cup were replaced with another universe.

These threads will be pointless until the scientifically illiterate retards of Sup Forums can understand and agree on the following facts:

• Motion is relative. In other words, the motion of a body can only be described or measured relative to something.
• Every inertial frame of reference is valid. There is no absolute frame of reference. Saying that X moves with respect to Y is always equivalent to saying that Y moves with respect to X.
• The velocity of an object, therefore, depends on the frame of reference from which it is measured. To say that an object has some velocity is meaningless unless a particular frame of reference is specified, implied, or understood.
• Momentum is a function of velocity, and velocity is relative, as noted above. Therefore, momentum is relative. The momentum of an object depends on the frame of reference.
• Kinetic energy, for the same reason, is also relative. The kinetic energy of an object depends on the frame of reference.
• Velocity is a vector. It has a magnitude and a direction. To change the direction in which an object moves is to change its velocity.
• Momentum, being the product of mass and velocity, is also a vector. To change the direction in which an object moves is to change its momentum. Direction must be taken into account when determining whether momentum has been conserved.
• Portals in the game can change the direction of a moving object, thereby changing its momentum, while the momenta of all other objects remain the same. This is a change to the total momentum of the system. Therefore, despite what GlaDOS says, portals do not actually conserve momentum.
• Portals do not conserve energy, either. An object which passes through portals can gain any amount of potential energy with no change in kinetic energy. You could use portals to generate infinite energy.

These are just some of the things which people in these threads regularly deny, either out of ignorance or because it helps their stupid argument.

>SPEEDY THING GOES IN
>SPEEDY THING COMES OUT

Define "speedy thing goes in". In what frame of reference must it be "speedy"?

One common argument in favor of Scenario B is that the question of whether the cube is "speedy", as it goes in or goes out, must be answered in the appropriate portal's frame of reference. In the orange portal's frame of reference, the cube is indeed speedy as it goes in. Therefore, the argument goes, the cube should be speedy in the blue portal's frame of reference as it exits. In other words: Speedy thing goes in (according to the orange portal's reference frame), speedy thing comes out (according to the blue portal's reference frame). The flaw in this argument is that the portals are in two different frames of reference. Such a change in reference frame is typically not permitted when figuring out a physics problem.

The common argument in favor of Scenario A takes the normal approach to a physics problem. It says that we should pick one reference frame — that of the ground — and stick with it. In this frame of reference, the cube is not speedy when it enters and therefore should not be speedy as it exits. But now we have another problem. How does a cube come out of a stationary portal without moving with respect to that portal? The cube cannot be stationary throughout the entire experiment, and here's why: It must, at least, move a distance equal to its own length, in order to come out of the blue portal, which remains stationary in our chosen reference frame. The cube could not end up on the outside of the blue portal if it had not moved through that opening.

This brings us to another common argument in favor of Scenario B, which is simply that the cube must move with respect to the blue portal as it comes out of the blue portal. You can't move through an opening without moving, basically. And if the cube is moving during this transition, there's no obvious reason that it should abruptly stop moving once the transition is complete.

No, I'm saying A is correct, just that many people might not get the analogy, regardless of whether it is correct or not

The spider/box would have momentum relative to that other universe.

Portals are not real

It's actually a bad analogy.

The whole point of the thought experiment is that this scenario differs from any normal portal scenario because one portal is moving with respect to the other. The cup analogy (which is effectively identical to the "hula hoop" analogy) removes that aspect of the problem. It's simply not the same problem, so you don't get the same answer.

Physics is a social construct so it can be either A or B

You are actually retarded

The correct answer is A

I like you.

>A fag just has to clean his hat
>B downie literally eats shit
Sounds accurate

well Sup Forums?

theres literally no valid reason people would choose B other than baiting.

Pic related, is it falling or staying in place?

This post is bait and a false flag.

Arguments in favor of B do not cite Einstein's theories at all. The simple fact that motion is relative is a cornerstone of classical Newtonian physics. Meanwhile Einsteins theories of "relativity" (i.e., Special Relativity and General Relativity) deal primarily with the speed of light, gravity, etc. — mostly unrelated subjects.

kek

What you aren't getting is that, in the cup analogy, both "portals" (The cup itself) have the same momentum. And the spider has the same relative momentum to both of them because of that.

In the case of the actual problem, the cube has two entirely different relative momentum's with reference to the outgoing portal. One through the portal, which is high and one through normal space, which is zero.

If you think that, and the many other differences between the actual question and the analogy don't make that analogy worse than useless, you're an idiot.

>B is a faggot
lol

B pls

>Pic related, is it falling or staying in place?
If it's 50% through the portal and at the same height, it stays in place but has no weight. And is not applying force to the ground, because gravity is pulling it with equal force from both sides.

If it's not exactly 50/50, it attempts to fall unless blocked by the floor.

It's B because portals aren't real so clearly zero laws of physics apply to it. Instead the imaginary physics that I made up in my head apply to it.

Did you read the post to which you replied? If so, you should at least understand the argument in favor of B, even if you don't agree with it. Ultimately, this thought experiment presents a paradox; neither of the answers will make perfect sense, and the one which makes the most sense is a matter of opinion.

But if you're claiming not to understand the opposing side's very simple argument, then you probably don't understand the thought problem enough to have a really valid opinion about the answer. I'm not trying to be mean, but both answers are supported by very simple arguments, so there's no good reason that you should be confused about either of them.

The new problem you've posted, by the way, seems to have only one good answer and I'm not sure how it relates to the original problem. Try explaining things instead of just posting them and claiming they're related.

The answer is: we don't know until we test it and anyone who says otherwise is talking out of their ass.

hey I wanted to say great job I think you nailed this one

@389157626
when will god deliver us from the homo plague

Mhhh

once you meet him, hurry along now

Anyone who's studied physics for 2 weeks during freshman year of highschool will tell you that it's B. Brainlets get out and learn the concept of relative motion before resuming use of this website.

B. From the portal's frame of reference the cube is rushing towards it.