How have Fallout 1 & 2 aged? Do they still hold up?

How have Fallout 1 & 2 aged? Do they still hold up?

Other urls found in this thread:

nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-fixt-0-81alpha-july-5th-2015.194562/
killap.net/fallout2/web/Downloads.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No its garbage, 3 and MAYBE NV are your only options.

They're pretty good. The second one is a lot better. The first one is on a timer and that's never fun with these types of games. You have to read a lot as well and learn some basic dungeons and dragons craps like what a 'roll' is. They should be cheap on GOG and Steam.

The gameplay is a little clunky and the graphics are just servicable

But as interactive narratives they hold up really well

They are great.
The start of 2 is bullshit.

Interface is cumbersome and 1 has an infuriating problem in some spots when your companions WONT MOVE OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY. But otherwise yes they are both excellent

Pretty good if they work on your PC. Still better than Bethesda Fallout.

I prefer the original wasteland. Better story and ambience.

Honestly what isn't?

For real?

No, I was kidding. Wasteland is too old now. Only nostalgia saves it. But the first two fallouts are another story. I genuinely think they are better than the recent ones made by Bethesda.

Why hasn't the game been ported to Xbox/PS consoles?

The world, characters and story are still great. Everything else has aged like shit

I like the turn based combat. Every thread about fallout people say the combat is horrible. I love it.

Its fine until you have to fight 20 enemies at once

The bugs make them a fucking chore. I've lost so many hours of gameplay because some glitch killed a save or made a mission uncompleteable or whatever the fuck. Fuck these games.

>Acquire Power Armor
>Acquire Power Fist
>Get every perk that increases AP
>Take every drug that increases AP
>Wreck bathrooms

Finished Fallout 1 a few hours ago and looking forward to starting 2 soon. I enjoyed the game greatly. Apart from obvious issues like crashes and bugs (do keep multiple save files) the only thing I didn't like was that some interactive objects in the enviroment weren't easy to recognize as such. The elevator in Vault 13 for example. Moreover most of the skills you can tag aren't very useful. I should have set my Agility to 10 in retrospective.

It will still be tedious as fuck.

nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-fixt-0-81alpha-july-5th-2015.194562/

killap.net/fallout2/web/Downloads.html

I don't know what you're on about. The timer is only for the first half and it's so fucking long that I never worked about it and I was fine. And I'm terrible with time limits.

I don't think anyne for the last 15 years have played fallout without the fan patches.

Isometric RPGs generally age well. 3D ones not much.

What's a good game to play that is similar to Fallout 1 and 2? Got Underrail on my list already. What about the new Wasteland 2?

I think they hold up. I played both for the first time in the past couple years and enjoyed them a lot. You need to be a fan of turn-based combat though.

They have aged well despite what normies/baiters say
However you can easily fuck yourself over with a bad build and make the games wayy harder than they already are. I know this is common in old crpgs but it's still kinda annoying

just download some fucking mod to increase the resolution and it's fine

>he didn't pick up that one super mutants rocket launcher in mariposa to take out 6 in one go

Doesnt matter if you have big guns leveled, that shit has a massive aoe and since you're inside a building, it'll just explode on the nearby wall and take out anyone else.

they're still top CRPGs today, which is sad to say. We've come so far technologically, but the writing for modern CRPGs just don't hold up anymore these days.

Fallout 3

Just kidding. Try Arcanum. Not post apocalyptic but it was made by the remnants of black isle.

> you can easily make the game terrifically hard on yourself with a bad build.

Some do it on purpose.

and that's fine, but for newcomers it can be a dealbraker, since rpgs nowadays let you correct any build mistakes as you level up
Some may be ok with restarting after 10h but plenty would drop the game

Get Wasteland 2 Directors Cut, it added and improves on a lot of things. Its a proper RPG, I'd wager.

>TFW a goon wielding an energy weapon cooked one of my recruits alive in his metallic armor because metal armor gets a massive damage penalty to energy weapons

I used the killapp patch and my game still got fucked. Maybe it's a hardware issue who knows. I googled it and lots of people got it but no one can fix it.

> since rpgs nowadays hold your hand as you play along.

"role-playing" game yh. Implying it's not just a sandbox tunnel shooter.

forgive it its dated graphics and you're going to have a blast. fo1 is objectively best fallout when it comes to overall postapo feel, and fo2 i have no idea why people praise fo2 over fo1, sorry. i'm willing to bet that someone already proposed its upside already. both game have clear and understandable rpg mechanics and enjoyable turn-based combat, so gameplay probably won't hurt you much.

just fucking play it

I know rpg have become just a regular action game with numbers attached to it, but fact is screwing yourself over without knowing it is still not great. If we are talking about how a game has aged, wich mean how approachable it is compared to current games, it's something that needs to be pointed out.

Something as simple as a message saying "hey you are fucking up badly building your character" or "This build is gonna make your game harder, consider changing X, Y and Z" would fix it without altering the base game.

the graphics are great for a 1997 game.

Except part of playing a roleplaying game is being able to play how YOU want to play it.

I personally wouldn't know the first fucking thing about how to maintain a firearm, should my character automatically know how to do so, or should he suffer penalties as is the case in traditional gaming?

Additionally, although I have decent stamina and work in a job that requires heavy lifting and manual dexterity, I know i'm not the most agile of sorts. I certainly wouldn't expect such a character to be capable of acrobatic feats such as mid-air somersaults.

Finally if I want to play a magic-using 4 HP savant, I should be allowed to play a that.

Stick me or anyone on Sup Forums in a fantasy setting like Skyrim and I fucking guarantee not a single fucking one of them would leave the town they were born in. I could just about manage a mudcrab in relativist terms.

Planescape and Arcanum

and all of that is fine, I know these games are meant to be challenging. But there are some builds that are clearly easier than others. And that can be a turnoff for someone going blind to the game. I don't feel like the game needs to change that, only guiding newcomers to build a noob friendly character.

might be difficult, but never impossible. you can beat the game with 1int retard whose dialogue lines are reduced to grunting, you can beat it without proper fighting abilities, you can even run to the ending sequence and finish it in 17 minutes like guy in speedrun did. i'd say fallout is just super easy with right build and kinda challenging with the wrong one.

>How have Fallout 1 & 2 aged? Do they still hold up?
They were never good, but they are still okay. Fallout 1/2 is babbies first RPG.

Just deal with it