Is this a good entry in the series? How's the player base on the Xbone? Also, Gears of War thread I guess

Is this a good entry in the series? How's the player base on the Xbone? Also, Gears of War thread I guess.

Abysmal single player campaign. I will just leave it at that.

Multiplayer is the same as the others. If you like Gears 3, you will like this one.

Horde has taken a big hit in terms of quality. Less things to build, less customization, instead, we get microtransactions.

No beast mode or mode to replace beast mode. In other words, the game is lacking content compared to it's predecessors

I like it

Sure. I like it too. Don't love it. It's not a good game. But it's hardly a bad game.

It feels like a freemium game, except it costs $70 to buy, and then there is a seasons pass, dlc, and all the microtransactions. Maybe you have a fun multiplayer match, but then you go to customize your character and you see you have the option of paying for everything. It feels like a cold, sterile business practice, it divides the community, it pisses people off, and it tarnishes a positive reputation amongst hard-core gamers.

It's been years since I've really played the series aside from the GoW Ultimate Edition, which I just started playing, so I don't have the best metric to judge the campaign on. I didn't even play 3 or Judgement. That's disappointing about Horde mode, since I had fun with 2's back in high school.

I played through an act of the campaign and it's boring as hell. I remember liking the original trilogy, but my tastes in single player campaigns has changed, so not sure if 4 is especially bad or if all the campaigns are bad.
Multiplayer wise, the game is pretty fun. If you've played Gears 3 than you'll know if you'll like 4's multiplayer or not.

The campaign in Gears 4 takes away everything you liked about Gears of War 1.

4 Burly dude-bros in a gloomy, horror inspired city fighting monsters?

In Gears 4, you play as a quipping young Nathan Drake-esc character and his female friend states several times she doesn't need a man to help her. (Dead serious), you fight generic, uninspired robots for half the game and NOT monsters. The dark setting and atmosphere is gone and replaced with bright futuristic looking cities.

bump

I love it, but no Wingman pisses me off

I didn't really play much of Gears 3 multiplayer past the beta. Is 4's active on the Bone?
That's disappointing. The first Gears of War has this very depressing atmosphere, where every fight could be your last and your end is guaranteed to be violent.

It's horrible all around. No future entries can top Gears 3 which was the best it's gonna get for the series and FUCK The Coalition as a developer. Greedy jews.

cliffy B is a giant douche nozzle or whatever but he new what made Gears of War fun and he gave the series a soul.

Multiplayer is brutal. Prepare to be teabagged by a team of Mexicans. Not joking.

lol I completely forgot about the mexican community in this series.

I remember back in Gears 2 facing off against teams of mexicans that would always get the last guy down and then all teabag him and then when he got up everyone would down him again and then teabag. jesus those was fun times. a lot of laughs and competitive games were had.

It's exactly like Gears of War 3 minus a interesting campaign and several good multiplayer modes

I liked it. The campaign doesn't get fun until the new locusts show up.

Campaign
2>>3>4

I thought it was okay but the enemy variety sucks until about a third of the way through the campaign. There's some fun moment vs the Swarm/Locust. It suffers from Halo 4 syndrome with not fun to fight against robots to fight for about half the game.

I don't play multiplayer or horde enough to give a real answer on the quality. There's an unlock system very similar to Halo 5's REQ system though. I know the maps are free for use in everything except private matches and the season pass gets you permanent ownership of maps for private games.

I hope you have hard drive space too, Gears 4 is a whopping 90.8GB. I'm pretty sure Microsoft wanted both it and Halo 5(98.2GB) to be so large in file size nobody would ever want to uninstall them.

>Is this a good entry in the series?
Dumbass

Halo 5 is so big, I can only fit 5 other games on my original Xbone.

It's a good game and is satisfying to play and the balance overall is okay, but the gnasher is literally balanced differently for each mode, so it's inconsistent and sometimes annoying to use. It has a few good informational changes like the damage percentages on death; it's a nice addition but also rage inducing when yous see that you hit someone point blank with a shotgun and then got 80% while they gibbed you in one hit afterward.

The story was lackluster and ends very abruptly. It feels like they were just playing it safe for the first game they were working on and were just trying to get the players adjusted to the new cast. Many don' like the new characters, but I like most of them since you can tell the contrast between the experienced COG veterans and the new blood who didn't grow up in the Locust war and are basically like cheeky collegians. The Swarm are a cool addition too, but they need more variety and development. The Scions seem like shitty additions with inconsistent characters and voices. Some Scions talk like Locusts and then some like humans.

The multiplayer and community is pretty solid still. I'm glad that they didn't chicken out and actually gave into requests for full-on crossplay. Now I can play on my gaming rig with my xbone controller at 144 FPS while queuing for some Gears with my Xbox budddies. TC has done a decent job at reaching out with the community thus far, so I look forward to Gears 5.

Horde is fun on normal and hardcore, but any higher and it's just an incredibly tedious and stagnant grind because that's you have to start becoming tier whores since you basically can't win without the ideal horde setup and class comp/cards. The classes and cards were a mistake IMO, but I do like the addition of more traps and the fortifier. Horde Frenzy is a good mode too because the amount of waves is 25 instead of 50 and spawns are random, which makes for a nice casual run with randoms who usually wouldn't stay past wave 10.

What?

Why would you start with the 4th game?

>literally all the DLC maps for free, only have to buy any if you want to host a lobby with them
>can grind out dcredits for all of the packs except horde expert and esports packs
>Greedy jews

It's the best system for a game. They get the loot boxes setup to keep funding the game off of people who care about cosmetic shit, and then they can keep using the funding to make more content and host more tournaments. I used to hate the gear packs on principle, but now I see they're not that bad. I just don't like the horde cards.

I've played 1 and 2, it's just been a while. By entry, I mean does it measure up to the previous games? Is it a good Gears of War game? Sorry for the wording.

They should've brought the Locusts back for horde, or just svaed horde for Gears 5. Makes sense that there's not much enemy variety yet since it's just introducing the Swarm in Gears 4, but the horde is kind of lackluster without much variety.

So the campaign doesn't get fun until half way through the game?

The game is only 5 hours long if played on normal difficulty. How is this justifiable to you?

>Is this a good entry in the series?
Shit singleplayer, shitty playerbase in multiplayer, horde was ruined and playing with pubs is a drill to the head.

Lootboxes.

Gears 4 has more horde content than 3 though, dunno what you're talking about. The card system being behind crates is kinda shitty, but the crates are dirt cheap if you actually care about horde.

Beast mode and Overrun were both terrible modes. I say this as someone who had to beat beast on insane to get Savage Theron in 3.

I hate the random reward system. Drop rates are worse than OW and the best skins are in packs that cost $10.

>I say this as someone who had to beat beast on insane to get Savage Theron in 3.
That's not exactly impressive, I did it 2-3 times due to data corruption.

>no mech suit
>no new feature to replace it

instantly a downgrade

Beastmode and Overrun were very fun and had lots of potential for expansion.

It's just like with Halo 5, how they shipped the game basically empty. No split screen co-op, no forge, no new game modes with old game modes removed.

Why i can't pirate it on my PC .

W10 games are unpiratable?

Really bad. Is there a collection or something? Start with that, if not play 2 and 3.

Pretty good. Still playing the multiplayer. It sold around 6 millions apparently.

>Make ambitious and original game modes like Beast mode, Overun
>Instead of expanding on them and polishing them for future sequels, just completely remove them and go back to simplistic standardized execution, team death match and king of the hill game modes.
>Justifying this and making excuses for the developers

Fucking hell man. You are part of the problem.

Horde in 4 sucks.
Shitty enemy variety negated by the easiest ways to beat insane.
Sit on a turret.
They should have had all the past content that was in 3.

Canadian fags once again ruin a good franchise.

>Canadian fags once again ruin a good franchise.
People Can Fly and Epic Games aren't Canadian.

He's not talking about them, he's talking about the Canadian fucks known as The Coalition.

The coalition you fart knocker.

>they think the franchise was ruined with Gears 4
Just because this game was so bad you blocked it out of your memory doesn't mean it's not what killed Gears.

Your wording is fine, I just misread "entry in the series" as "entry to the series"

That game at least had one or two positive qualities.
4 has none.

>That game at least had one or two positive qualities.
>literally only being contrarian because you hate Canada
There is absolutely nothing good or redeeming about Judgment. It's what allowed Microsoft to buy the franchise because it killed sales and interest.

If you unironically believe there are positive qualities to Judgment you are part of the reason this series is shit.

That didn't kill Gears, not even close and it was a spin-off. I bet you went into it not knowing what your getting into beforehand. I knew what I was getting into and I still enjoyed it more than Gears 4 overall.

Overrun was literally just throwing yourself at traps against AI that either ranged from stupidly garbage to aimbot tier, and then random trap setups. Overrun was fun on paper in Judgment, but was terribly balanced and easily exploited by Locust players who would do shit like just spam ticker, and camp and spam grenades with Grenadier or snipe with Rager from the distance. I don't even need to bring up the stim grenade, I'm sure anyone who played Judgment is aware of the stim being he worst addition to the Gears series.

As for Gears 4 content, yeah it's wasn't as big as Gears 3, obviously. One is the third game in a trilogy that developed for years. Gears 4 is basically starting fresh like Gears 1,. It was definitely bare-bones at launch, but I'm judging Gears 4 off of now though since the OP's clearly asking about how it is currently. In regard to "no new modes," there absolutely were new modes in Gears 4 even at launch. Namely Escalation, Dodgeball, that one weapon swapping game. And now Horde Frenzy., Everything Goes Horde. And then Inconceivable mode for Horde and Campaign, and also Ironman modifier for horde are another thing.

Have you ever considered they're also going to do a trilogy with their own things instead of just piggybacking off of Epic's bad ideas? Beast mode wasn't a good mode. I'd like to see Overrun come back if we're ever going to play as the antagonists again, but it was obviously something I didn't expect for 4 when it's a new studio that said long beforehand that the Locusts were dead for 25 years and the COG's fighting an entirely new enemy.

I was surprised to even see Horde revealed because I thought there wouldn't be enough shit for it. The DeeBees and Swarm being partnered in Horde provided a surprising amount of variety, but there DOES need to be much more and I hope Gears 5 and 6 deliver it.

>Overrun
>FFA
>Capture the Flag
>Better main characters

Take your Judgement hate goggles off for once and see the things it did right.

>Overrun
Meant to say BEast mode.

>That didn't kill Gears
But Gears 4 did? It doesn't matter if you enjoyed 1 pile of dogshit over another, Gears 4 is objectively better by a gameplay standard, and sold better to reflect as such. Both games are dull and uninspired in what they set out to do.

>I bet you went into it not knowing what your getting into beforehand
I got it for free years after release and I still regret playing it. It's an abortion especially when you factor in the proximity to Gears 3 and its attempt to launch Gears as a yearly release.
>Garbage modes made for garbage players
Damn, you sure showed me.

I actually didn't have a problem with most of this. it's nice we got a fight something else, and Gears titles have steadily been more colorful ever since 2, this one obviously being the most.

A couple of the lines from the bitch were a little too much but it was only a couple.

>people like judgment
>even though it launched with 4 maps and died a month after release
hmm

Gears 4 is setting the series coffin up, with Gears 5 being the nails and Gears 6 the hammer to nail it in. Have fun going down the sinking ship and then whine about it afterwards.

Getting it with the One X. Got to play at a friends house and really liked it. Coming into consoles now is the best time. PS4 Pro + One X + 3DS/Swtich give you the best current gen experiences.

I plan on grabbing some other games too for the One X like Recore, Lucky's Tale, Halo 5, and Halo Wars 2.

>>FFA
>good
If you like terrible spawns , sure.

>better main characters
Baird and Cole were Baird and Cole. Sofia was a Marry Sue and Paduk was basically just Russian Marcus.

If you wanna talk about cool stuff from Judgment, it would be the customization menus being nicely organized, the verticality being kind of cool on some maps like the one with the rails, and then the new weapons being cool like the breechshot and booshka.

MP is the best in the series, but the SP is quite weak

They said they were going to go back to it's horror roots & the first E3 trailer showed that, but the final game wasn't dark at all, quite disappointing

>oing down the sinking ship and then whine about it afterwards.
I'll just be enjoying the gameplay, which Gears 4 has improved for the most part.

Turns out the main character is fucking his cousin/half sister, so there's that.
Also the stronk independent Outsider faction led by a fierce womyn with a side cut gets utterly obliterated within two missions, slaughtered to the point of only having two survivors, and proven almost utterly useless in comparison to the Gears.

>Better gameplay
>Delays up the ass

Oh yeah soooooo improved.

>he thinks I paid for Gears games after 3
>he thinks Gears 4 isn't the hammer being nailed in
I pre-ordered the Gears 3 LE and I still regret it to this day.

Gears died half a decade ago, but I do hope your condescending and retarded mental faculties never die. One day you'll figure out that Judgment, a game that contained lack luster campaign with several canon retcons, no locust, contained the fewest maps of all previous GoW games, armor skins, no horde, removal of ancient but proven game mechanics and several other missing components killed Gears of War.

But hey, Overrun is a pretty great addition!

>Turns out the main character is fucking his cousin/half sister

When was this established? We know Kait is likely the Locust Queen's granddaughter, but how does that make her related to the Fenix family?

This can be said with most Xbox exclusives, though more because MS likely scared off the talent, or more employees left their companies like what happened to Bungie and what happened after the launch of the first Destiny.

The only human Myrrah had any prolonged contact with since taking the throne was Adam Fenix.
The real question is who was on top.

>contained the fewest maps of all previous GoW games
Man, that was such a terrible experience when Judgment came out. I: remember the forums being filled with complaints about there only being 4 maps and it getting boring after a day or two because of it. I stuck it out hoping they'd add more quickly, but nope.

If there's one thing I can give to The Coalition, it's that they've done a good job with content flow. They've brought back plenty of classic maps (but some really shitty ones like Drydock and Rustlung) and given them cool redesigns. They used to do like 2 maps a month and were smart enough to just put all the maps into rotation instead of splitting the community between DLC owners or not. Hope they do this for Gears 5.

>Gears 4 has more horde content than 3 though, dunno what you're talking about. The card system being behind crates is kinda shitty, but the crates are dirt cheap if you actually care about horde.

drink bleach you subhuman filth
i was huge into gears and didn't get an xbone; didn't get a good pc with forced windows 10 until earlier this year so i've been back and forth about getting gears 4 since then
glad i didn't
fuck epic

>GoW3 the best
>The game directly responsible for skin-based microtransaction cancer
I love the game minus launch sawed-off but this will forever sour my taste for it

Epic didn't make gears 4 and the crates for horde stuff aren't bad at all. The only time I've really hated the gear packs was when they did a monthly gear pack with a specific character skin I wanted and I just kept getting characters and weapon skins I don't want .

I much rather have simple skin-based microtransactions for 1-5$ than fucking RNG cancer packs.

Any of the 360 Gears games still have somewhat active online? What about the original version of 1 on PC?

you're not getting the point, fucktard
they made two games where dlc was just extra maps and one game with that and skins
the fact that gears 4 locked any actual content behind microtransactions is a huge red flag and good reason to never follow the franchise again
a shame because i loved the series and laura bailey gets my rocks off and she voices the new bitch

Gears 3 still has a few thousand playing.

Gears 2 used to have games up till like 2015, dunno how active it is now.

They lovked pointless sidegrades amd cosmetics behind a 'microtransactions' that you get currency for in game at a mucb better rate than most any other game using the boxes, with the added bonus of being able to scrap the things you don't want to get what you do.
All 'DLC' Maps are already in the online rotations without needing to pay for them unless you want to do Solo vs A.I. on them, which in the past was only useful for getting Weapon executions which no longer need to be unlocked.
It's quite literally the best way Loot Boxes have been done.

>ywn spend hours playing the buggy mess that was gears 2 multiplayer again

>"Laura Bailey gets my rocks off"

My nigger.

>you will never play High Priest "Torque-absorber" Skorge again

>you're not getting the point
I am, and the gameplay cards can be crafted easily. It's not some sort of slippery slope. They have been bitched out about microtransaction shit from launch and actually backed off with any attempts at being Jewish with it and made things much better.

I don't mind microtransaction shit for cosmetics at all since they're just skins for MP (many of which I like) and they allow us to get all the actual new content like all the maps and modes for free in regular rotation. This is objectively better than the previous gears games where you had to pay for DLC maps and characters/skins, and then the communities were split in between DLC and poorfag queues. Now there's full crossplay and free content.

Do people still play multi?
Was thinking of upgrading to W10. Will definitely get it if I do.

>Do people still play multi?
PC was dead pretty soon after release. Now that crossplay with Xbone is possible it's better.

Have fun playing TDM all the time.

All of the modes can still be played. I'm currently trying to grind to diamond rank for the weapon skins, and I play on Windows 10. Like half a year ago they made it crossplay for Xbone and Windows 10 on every game mode, so it's not a dead wasteland for Win10 players like Gears UE.

>343 Industries makes Halo 4
>It ends up having a mediocre campaign and dogshit multiplayer
>The Coalition makes Gears of War 4
>It ends up having a mediocre campaign and mediocre multiplayer
Could've been much worse. Hopefully they iron out the issues for Gears 5

>mediocre
only because Gears multiplayer is mediocre. 4's mp is basically just gears 3.5
embar is a god tier addition though

More like 2.5.

I don't know if this is bait or not but welcome to the bone zone its pretty great here in every department besides exclusives and be sure to test out the multimedia capabilities. I torrent movies straight to my Bone nowadays.