Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=376774460
steamdb.info/calculator/76561198041354987/?cc=us
youtube.com/watch?v=4xmzvfgHh-A
youtu.be/3ODNTiI6EkI
lparchive.org/Half-Life-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

opposing force, yes
blue shift, if you really enjoyed opposing force and want more even if its not that great, yes, otherwise no

Blue Shift has plenty of backtracking but it's also REALLY short so it won't outstay its welcome.

whats the matter with blue shift?

I feel bad that I never actually finished Half Life or Blue Shift, but I did finish Opposing Force.

Definately if you just cant get enough of half life

hard to believe opposing force was made by gearbox

theres nothing that make it inherently bad about it, its just that compared to HL and OP it isnt as good

>Opposing force
>"follow and eliminate Freeman"
> do as told
>paradox, game over
WOOOOOOW

OP4 without question.
BS doesn't do anything of note but isn't bad.

Opposing Force? Hell to the yes!
Blue Shift? Ehh, only if you REALLY enjoy Half-Life.

Quite short, and access to fewer weapons than in Half-Life.

Blue shift is kind of short and pointless, OpFor is the bee's knees.

In the most recent Steam sale, Opposing Force and Blue Shift were each $0.99. If you liked the original Half-Life (which was also on sale for $0.99), the expansions are definitely worth $0.99 each.

Opposing Force is a great expansion that adds new enemies, guns, and gameplay mechanics (rope swinging). That's not just nostalgia talking either, my 15 year old brother loves Opposing Force.

Blue Shift is only worth playing if you are a big Half Life fan and want to get the entire story. It basically explains what Barney was doing during the events of HL1. Doesn't really add anything new though. It was more notable for the graphics upgrade it came with that brought the PC version up to the level of the then-recent PS2 port.

tl;dr:
OpFor yes
Blue Shift no

Play Half Life and OF and if you still want more then play Blue Shift.
Blue shift is one of those examples of something in a series where it's not bad at all but it's not 10/10 great like the other parts of the series so over time people start just saying it's shit and to skip it because that's what everyone else says.

except you never received the order to eliminate scientist personnel.

Blue Shift sucks my balls.

you were never ordered to attack scientists at all and theyre even shown to be helping you as well as you helping them in several instances

No new weapons or enemies.

What was the reason for that anyway? Been a long time since I played Opposing Force.

orange > green > ep2 > hl2 > blue > ep1

You get cut off from Command before the order is issued

Blue Shift only exists to make Gearbox's work on the Dreamcast not go to waste. The HD models and the mission itself were made exclusively for the Dreamcast port and you can even see Sega mentioned in the credits

What do you mean "worth it"?
I don't think you are able to buy a version of Half-Life nowadays without getting the expansions bundled with it.
If you mean your time then sure, if you enjoyed the gameplay of HL1 then OpFor and BL are more of the same. Good stuff.

Blue shift is mediocre. Opposing Force is fantastic and I miss its multiplayer.

Kinda odd when you think about it. I mean, Shephard found lots of radios and other soldiers during his struggle, right? Yet the radios provided nothing and none of the soldiers he met knew anything?

blue shift is kinda short
otherwise yes

you can't get to him to kill him without teleporting via console commands, you did cause a paradox.

Godfucking damn don't make me replay the original games too, I just finished replaying HL2 to pay my F respects.

Opposing force is amazing.
Blue shit feels like a fan made map pack, it's short and there is significantly less variety.

look at youtube m8

Opposing Force is good. There's some weapon bloat, but still a lot of fun.

>he doesn't kill every scientist he sees
do your fuckin jobs

There's a part where you can see Freeman run into the portal to Xen and you can totally snipe him. You can also follow him into the portal and you end up falling into dead space.

But not one of them fought back! This sucks!

OP4 is Half-Life but weirder. Strange enemy design, often questionable level design, and a lot of fun new toys to play with. Story is odd and probably non canon but very cool.
Blue Shift is a 3-hour game with no new enemies or weapons that weren't in vanilla HL1. It's solid and worth playing for what it is, that being a bite-sized bonus mission pack for HL (was originally gonna be released as just that, a bonus pack-in for the Dreamcast port), but it won't knock your socks off. I recommend playing it between HL and OF.
Also, if you have a friend who likes HL and are willing to set up port forwarding, check out Decay. It's a short co-op game that takes place on the morning of the disaster, originally a bonus campaign in the PS2 port but has a fanmade PC port.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=376774460
Colette is best HL girl

>You can also follow him into the portal and you end up falling into dead space.
I think that was pretty cool.

I don't know what it is but games from the late 90's and early 2000's set in offices and labs are always so comfy

oh joy, someone figured out some new way to tag freeman and now I have to revise everything about a game I own on disc again despite having it burned in memory for a decade because "youtube"...

Maybe worth a pirate. Don't pay gaben for a series he hates.

>milf dream team lost to time
feels bad man

>replaying OF after Decay
>finding Gina's corpse in Xen

Pit Worm's Lair > Blast Pit

Apart from that Opposing Force is more "wow, neat" than being really good. It has the same iffy combat as the original, almost everything feels like a popgun except the deagle, the sniper rifle, and the fish grenade launcher, levels are generally uglier and less interesting, enemy designs are a bit weird, the warping-to-secrets gun is...kind of interesting? At the very least I can't think of any other game that does that. If you enjoyed HL1 give it a shot.

Blue Shift is a boring waste of (very little) time.

What the fuck are you going on about?
Your reaction to "no you're wrong, look at youtube for proof" is to have a massive sperg attack and start complaining about the possibility that you have just learned new information that conflicts with old information?

Fuck these things.

They give you a BFG for a reason.

That sewer part almost gave me nightmares when I was young.

Cause when he found them the order to pull back was already in effect.

That's kinda cool when you think about it then. If Gordon and Adrian had met sooner, then they would probably have worked together, neither being aware that one was sent to kill the other.

It's basically just more of HL1. It doesn't add new weapons or enemies like Opposing Force does. I'd mostly recommend it if you're curious about how Barney escaped Black Mesa

>not exclusively using the displacer to go to xen

Adrian is a shit character. Generic McDudesoldier.

You know who I'd wish would make an appearance in HL 3 or Episode 3 if it wasn't dead?
Corporal Shephard

Not really. By the time Shepard is active Gordon should already be around Residue Processing-Surface Tension and therefore has been fighting HECU for quite a while. He'd probably try to kill Shepard on sight, or at least avoid him.

Gordon is a shit character. Generic McSilent protagonist.

Yeah, I always kinda pictured that once you're basically out of G-Man's grasp, he'd use Shephard to come after you in a third installment.

i want colette and gina to come back as canon lesbo.

>He'd probably try to kill Shepard on sight, or at least avoid him.
This honestly makes me wonder who'd pull the trigger first if they met each other: Gordon, or Shephard?
Bear in mind that there is the chance that Gordon only killed all those soldiers because they fired first, so what if Shephard did not fire at him at all?

Yeah, about that...

DUDE EVERYONE'S LGBT LMAO

>G-Man takes Alyx in his door portal on the Borealis
>He returns
>"And... Dr. Freeman, although I must say I'd prefer it if you remained with us as long as you could, I'm sorry to say your contract has been terminated."
>He moves aside
>Shephard slowly marches out
>Prepare for a duel in space

>tfw it will never happen

I've played Blue Shift for 107 hours

There could be a little side story where Adrian Shephard could be the reason why the G-Man was able to locate Freeman again. Like maybe G-Man brought him out of stasis to locate him and the side story could focus on Shephard tracking down Gordon, occassionally coming across locations Gordon had been during the events of Ep 1 & 2 to find clues as to where he might have gone.

I've beaten the game 4 times and I only have 9 hours

Good shit, amigo. Here check it out

steamdb.info/calculator/76561198041354987/?cc=us

I don't think Shephard would've fired, but Gordon would've most probably killed him.

me too. Shepherd is really fucking cool.
Lol, what if every game with Shepherd in it was him hunting Gordon Freeman and not succeeding?

blue shift is like 3 hours long, so yes.

>Prepare for a duel in space
I think a simple appearance would be better.
>

a soldier tells you to forget about freeman

>I think a simple appearance would be better.
Isn't that what happened if you jumped into the portal that Gordon jumped into in OP?

Kinda bootleg but Sven Co-op has them both and it's free and well...co-op.

retconned out of existence.

I believe what happens is you get dumped over empty space and fall to your death, and if you look quickly or just no clip you can briefly see Gordon standing on one of the floating platforms

Or maybe it's just the generic black screen with the text telling you that you fucked up like when you kill an essential NPC, I cant remember

>Shephard is brought out of stasis by the G-Man after he lets Gordon go to his not-death
>is let loose into the world with no clue what's occurring, except this time he's already armed with his pistol and knife
>ends up killing hundreds of Combine and Rebels, completely decimating the remnants of both sides until theyre so afraid they hide to avoid him, with subtle hints left to guide him only to imply he's been hired by the Combine as Earth's clean up crew
>hooks up with several rogue members of various factions, gaining a large squadron with members all sides simply out for some blood with no care for reason other than orders received
>final level is the squad and Shephard in one last gunfight, with the squad getting wiped out until G-Man pulls Shephard last minute, recognizing that not everyone can win certain battles without outside help, just like he had which is why G-Man is reminded of himself in Shephard in many ways and puts him aside for the next time he's hired

You spawn right behind him and fall to your death with a message about you trying to create a time paradox.

>you can't get to him to kill him without teleporting via console commands

If you run immediately upon entering the teleporter room, you can enter the portal and cause the paradox, you don't need to cheat at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=4xmzvfgHh-A

Software or OpenGL?

I'll swear by software but thats nostalgia more than anything.

>software pleb

>Cybershell the Sonic autist did a really funny playthrough of Blue Shift
youtu.be/3ODNTiI6EkI

Awww shit, his Half Life 1 Lets Play was always one of my favorites and its not on Lets Play Archive anymore

Atleast Research Indicates Trespasser Lets Play will always be around, right?

lparchive.org/Half-Life-2/

Wait no it is on the archive but most of the images are broken

A shame, that thing is a classic

I know lets plays have a bad reputation on Sup Forums because of Game Grumps and 2 Best Friends, but the original, Something Awful sourced Lets Plays have a lot of quality content that's worth looking into. The Jurassic Park Trespasser LP by Research Indicates originates from there