I think Sony is just crazy enough to make another handheld

I think Sony is just crazy enough to make another handheld.

At least theyll actually market their handheld as such, instead of marketing it as a home console with handheld capabilities.

After the emoji movie I'm sure they can do anything now.

That's not handheld, that PS4 ultraslim + new SONY BRAVIA PS4 SCREEN with edgy shaped move controlers.

Only if they killed their consoles off and focused on hybrids like Nintendo.

I hope so, Vita was great if you are a weeb.

Does being an otaku instead count?

Reminder that this was the greatest handheld ever made from a design perspective

That mockup is exactly what I'd expect their next handheld to look like. A tablet with a clunky looking pair of snap-on controller peripherals to compete with the Switch.

And since Sony's a pack of idiots who never learn their lesson, I bet they'll use proprietary memory cards, give the tablet a proprietary charging port, and give the snap-ons a completely different charging port, advertise it as a home console rather than a handheld, and announce planned titles before they've even decided what the hardware will look like.

Almost.

If they had just started out with microSD capability, instead of requiring an adapter, it would have been the perfect handheld.

Hopefully Sony learned from that mistake, but I doubt it

actually they made the vita revision use standardized usb rather than proprietary

So basically just like Nintendo then

The vita was still profitable. Why wouldn't they make a new one?

>never learn their lessons
The evolution of consoles from ps1 to ps4 is full of nothing but lessons learned. Same goes with the dualshock.

An exmaple of not learning your lessons is nintendo's fucking firmware.

>beautiful screen, non shitty controls, not region locked
>fuck it up with expensive proprietary cards and shitty annoying multi user handling meant to stop piracy or something
Why is it so hard to do this right?

To be fair the proprietary cards AND the multi user handling was to counter lessons they learned with the psp.

The problem with the proprietary cards were they were too fucking expensive.

>No triggers
>No clickable sticks
>Shit battery life

It was almost good.

>No triggers
>Shit battery life
These two can be remedied by trigger accessories and power banks.
>No clickable sticks
I don't remember, how was this mapped for Remote play? Some touch screen part?

I fully expect that the next generation will be entirely made up of hybrid handhelds.

There is no chance Sony will release another handheld after how much Vita was a failure to them. They cant focus on both, especially with how badly the rest of the company is doing.

Honestly I would want that. I've got my PC for vidya at home, and a hybrid for on the go.

>how much the vita was a failure
Nigga go read the 201 fiscal report. The only people who think it's a failure are people on Sup Forums

>glossy
>manlet buttons and sticks
>curved so no grips
>have to bend your thumb at a strange angle to hit the analog
>same battery problems as the psp
>oled
Nah its shit

Except it has the most uncomfortable stick placement in history.
Switch handheld mode is much more comfortable to hold and play with, in spite of the weird "D-pad".

They're rolling in PS4 money they can take a few risks.

I'm on board if theres a new yugioh tag force on it. Otherwise IDC.

>The evolution of consoles from ps1 to ps4 is full of nothing but lessons learned.
The PS4 is the only one because it's the only one of the four that's somewhat easier to develop for.
>Same goes with the dualshock.
You're joking right?
The dualshock design is the epitome of not learning from your mistakes because of how shit the layout is and they've kept it for about 20 years now. Oh and don't forget how the rubber on the analogs will degrade extremely fast leaving them with a thick layer of grease even the vita is at fault of this.
Not to mention the DS4 is a complete regression.
Drastically reduced battery life
Flimsy triggers
Creaky as sin
Useless light bar

>you're joking right
DS1's analog sticks were the only thing on that controller that wasn't made out of confetti
DS2's buttons could wear out
DS3 had the six-axis/vibration fiasco
DS4's biggest problem was the rubber, which was fixed in the second gen DS4s

For consoles. Off the top of my head
PS1's disc reader
PS2's ejector tray
PS3's price

Sony doesn't believe in the handheld market anymore since it shrank for everyone, after all even the 3DS sold less than the PSP, now that they are buttfucking the home console market undisturbed it's hard to believe they'll focus on anything else since they're trying to completely dominate in one sector, that's what pushed them to stop developing stuff for the Vita and close all of their mobile studios.
The Vita has been a mixed bag because even though it did underperformed it has somehow the highest attachment rates in the market to this day and it has been almost completely unpenetrable in terms of piracy, making third party devs really happy compared to the PSP, I guess they haven't stopped producing it simply because even without doing first party games the Vita has been kept alive by third parties and a really dedicated userbase, which means not only good money at little to no cost, but good relationships with developers.

If the Switch manages to not be just a fad I'm pretty sure they will try to double dip by doing their own hybrid tablet, Sony loves money after all, the question is how much will they fuck it up.

Before I read any of your shit do you have a source for
>Sony doesn't believe in the handheld market anymore
?

You really think they have faith in handhelds when they dropped first party support of the Vita about two or so years into it?

You know what was completely according to plan right? First party support was only supposed to last for the games that were released and this was specifically to stimulate the sales of the hardware.

This

>You know what was completely according to plan right?
Is this the kind of delusion you lot have wrapped yourself up in?

well they're certainly nutty enough to continually lose money on garbage movies. So you're probably right

Delusion? I'm not even sure if I can find it but I'll look. There was an interview with house back when soul sacrifice was being developed.

Even if that was true all that shows is that Sony gives less of a fuck about their customers than we initially thought.

It's not that. From a business standpoint the vita was made specifically to be inclusive to third party. It was really struggling with that when it first came out.

As you can clearly see that is very clearly not the case now and hasn't been since they started pushing hardwares sales by pushing first party. Even before launch the vita's big selling point was being open to third party and indie (remember the memes?).

And they will crash and burn because they have no idea how to differentiate themselves from smartphones.

all according to keikaku

>As you can clearly see that is very clearly not the case now
That would imply the Vita has the variety of the other handhelds as it stands it's range of genres is extremely slim.

>it's range of generes is extremely slim
I do agree. It's mostly action games, DRPGs, VNs, and the odd roguelike.

But DRPGs are to the japanese third party market was open world is to the western one. The default option. And oh boy are there a lot of them. Still if we're going to get into the meat of releases per year from third market, it has don't extremely well for itself. As has it's software install base.

Nintendo has done both actually.

>You really think
What I think is irrelevant. What I want is a statement from them confirming your claim. Unless you have one you are just speculating and I'm not really interested in listening to your rambling.

>Except it has the most uncomfortable stick placement in history.
How does it feel to be a joyless youth who never cared about clawing

Bottom of the back touchpad was analog stick buttons, top of the touchpad was L2/R2. It was shit for any FPS and whatever needed L2/R2 or stick buttons, but it was fine for platformers or games with arcade button layouts (like NHL games)

fuck off the only thing they learned from the PSP was that they needed to make smaller cards so that adapters wouldnt work easily.

sony was always ripping off with proprietary memory. started on the PS1 and went on until the PSP. Vita only continued that jewery.

claw is the most retarded meme idiots fell for.

Clawing is the result of poor design you retard.
It's nothing to celebrate

the PS4 shows that they havent learned shit.
fucking garbage system.

its literally one of the biggest blunders in gaming right next to the wiiu.

In what way. Show me what it actually did wrong in comparison to what came before it.
>easier to develop for
>easier to port to
>cheap price (relatively anyways)
>CD tray that actually has no chance of breaking
>functional disc reader
>No chance of power cord shortage
>HDMI port won't suddenly decide to not work unless I start jiggling it

And it's library is shaping up to be better than the ps3 in a similar time period which is... surprising

Numbers just don't back this up, my friend. Sony clearly is happy with it.

>it sells that means its a flawless system
eat shit drone

Why not? Both psp and vita were gorgeous and had really great hardware.

They just need to put their shit together and actually put games on them.

the fuck. Where did I mention PS4 sales. Did you even read any part of this post?

do you have fucked up hands or something

he's not wrong, vita has shit ergonomics, especially the 1000 model.
2000 is bit better though.

the switch fixes it, but thats only really possible because the switch is HUEG. no system thats as big as the 3DS/Vita can pull that off while being so flat at the same time.

>Shit battery life
>Vita
What? No.

Depending on the game it can run down almost as fast as a 3DS, although the sleep mode was leagues better.

I don't see it happening even knowing about that patent for clickable sticks on a handheld, the patent for the switch like device, and the hiring for a UI designer for a music app for a portable device

Handheld market shrunk from 150M DS + 80M PSPs to ~60M 3DS and ~15M Vitas. Vita plus 3DS isn't even equal to the 2nd place of last gen, the PSP. Overall, it's 3 times less sales for the whole market, while Sony's sales dropped about 5 times.

A big part of why Sony pushed for all the PS4/Vita multiplats was to get Japanese devs to develop for PS4 instead. To release a new handheld after pushing that hard for PS4 would be starting back up from 0 again for their 3rd try in the handheld market. Also if a PSP3 was happening then third party devs like KT and NIS wouldn't be announcing all of these Switch ports of their games since they'd be making PSP3 versions of those instead. Only reason they exist is because Switch is the only Handheld on the market going forward.

Even if in spite of that they did make another handheld, it'd be a hybrid like the switch so it had a chance to sell in the international markets. But then it'd be competing against the PS4 which is currently their bread and butter, and would take resources away from software development to give it support so they're probably too afraid to rock the boat on this anyway.

I loved my PSPs and my Vita, but if Sony were to release a PSP3 or a Switch knockoff I don't think I'd buy it after seeing how they treated the Vita.

???
isn't that just tablet or an hybrid laptop?

>sony cant even think up original console ideas anymore
is this the end sonybros?

>sony cant even think up original console ideas anymore
They didn't in the first place.

sony won't be making another handheld ever again.

they just can't compete with nintendo in the handheld market.

rumor has it they actually are making one and are gonna announce it the 19th, some leaker fag said they were working on something that was really gonna upset nintendo fans. If it's just another sony handheld then i'll probably hold off on buying it but if they could somehow make it so it's like a ps4 version of the switch where it could play ps4 games it would be a day 1 buy. Shits pretty unlikely though.

>some leaker fag said they were working on something that was really gonna upset nintendo fans.
but we already know about knack 2

heres your controller bro