Reviews

so, reviews copies are out.

I've had a bunch of knowledg about what some reviewers are thinking about the game.
Not from big sites, I mean, just youtube nobodies.
but still... they seem to be dissapointed the game is linear and not like super or Zero mission.

Do you think big profile reviews will point that as a flaw and score the game lower for not being "Super" enough?
Or will linearity will be a plus to them because "no boring backtracking just straight killing till the end"?

The original Metroid II was linear, even AM2R can't fix that.
Though it made efforts to mix up the progression and add shortcuts, new areas are sometimes optional and stuff like that.

Fusion was linear and has a 92 on Metacritic, what does a game's linearity have to do with its quality anyways?

Did the game leak? No? Then P*SS off before I beat your ass......

Linearity is inherently bad and makes playing it pointless.
It's the same reason everything is moving to open world, it's factually better.

CIA when?
I already have the fame preordered but I can't wait

Although I'm gonna get shat on the thread. I think SR will have the superior navigation and combat but AM2R will remain the game with the better map design, mostly because it played from the beggining like a Zero Mission DLC, assuming players were hardcore metroid fans, while half of SR will be a tutorial to introduce the franchise to a new generation of players.

>Do you think big profile reviews will point that as a flaw and score the game lower for not being "Super" enough?

Depends of the rest. Both Fusion and Other M were linear. The first was generally well received while the second was most of the time rated as "meh" to absolute shit.

fusion was linear but you revisited areas and felt like you were cheating the game when traveling on the green parts of the map.

SR map so far is all purple, meaning all is main path. and once you clear an area you only come back to hunt extra tanks

The original game was linear as shit, don't see the problem.

Zero mission is extremely linear

Only if you let it be.

it has sequence breaking all over the place, that -although intended and controlled- makes reruns a bit more interesting

>linearity is inherently bad

This game could also have sequence breaking you know I was talking about the chozo statues and we all know the level of these reviewers, for sure they thought ZM was linear because of them

SR has the "clear the area of bosses to open the gate to the next" that the OG had.

You may be able to freely explore each area, but things like reverse order boss or shit like that on a whole-game-scale are out of the picture.

Only one (1) Chozo statue is optional, they were put there for casual trash since Metroid has never sold well but they made the smart move of making them all optional, except for that one at the beginning, for advanced players.

>optional
Meant to say mandatory, fuck.

linearity is a new meme since the "open world innovation and the only role model that make this game factually better"

so, SR doesn't have map rooms but you have to paint the map as you go with magic.

how do you feel bout that??

Metroid 2 was linear

wat

the scan skill that uses the mana bar which name I don't remember and are too lazy to google

I know that but you dont need to use it and M2 never had map rooms anyways
What are you complaining about

That map rooms in Super and Zero were tools to sublty guide you forward and give you a general overview of the whole layout

Loosing that (or just being able to reveal the map surrounding your position and not far away rooms ) seems like it will make the player wander a lot

what???? exploration in a metroid game???? how could they

Aimless wandering is not the same as sublty-guided exploration

And Super Metroid does a very few interesting things with map stations.

like the norfair one which instead of showing you the immediate accesible area. it reveals the big late-game area underneath to awe you

Under your logic 80% of steam greenlight games are GOAT

>open world is factually better
You like empty space and shit pacing?

But linearity is much easier to do right, and because most devs aren't competent enough to nail open world, linear games are generally better than open world games.

Are you 2011 IGN?

I don't think you understand how that mechanic works.

I don't know why I wasted my time responding, you're actually retarded.

This