youtube.com/watch?v=3s-RZoEI4pI
youtu.be/neX4sVOYFJ0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_(company)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Only know Koji and Toby
>Not sure who the other 2 are
>wouldn't care even if my life depended on it

grant kirkhope

Jeremy Soule is the biggest hack of the current VG composers.

Kondo
>Let's rehash the Hyrule theme 10000 times
>Reuse the same shit from OoT cause 'muh' legacy

Probably all of them except Kondo. He can perfectly match a score to some really weird shit, so that means whatever game you play is not let down by the soundtrack. Those other guys have done some really lousy scores that don't work at all, a sign of inexperience that just shouldn't exist at that level. There's no excuse.

Fuck you faggotron.

Zun is the Touhou guy. Don't know the other one.

he's the Sonic Mania guy

best to worst
Lopes > ZUN > Koji > Toby

Motoi Sakuraba

Toby Fox
IMO it's ZUN > Tee Lopes > Koji Kondo > Toby

Every song done by ZUN that comes in game earlier than stage 5 is almost always shit.

Probably Zun or Fox

Kondo > Lopes > Zun ~> Fox

I haven't played much Touhou but the stage 1 themes of Lotus Land Story (Reimu) and Perfect Cherry Blossom are hella tight

Who is Tee Lopes and why should I care.

youtube.com/watch?v=lTqrzwz6c8c

People only like ZUN for the YTMND/Ebaums UN was her shit

Where's Jake Kaufman?

Zun's style has gone down the shitter after touhou 14 arguably touhou 13. His non touhou albums are infinitely better. It's just a shame he still hasn't been able to top his pc-98 music.
youtu.be/llO4PINy2e8

ZUN is NOT overrated. Almost all of his tracks are kino plus the fanbase in the west is niche and not at all noteworthy.

mitsuda. only thing the guy's done worthwhile is CC.

Where's Kirkhope, and Uematsu?

Zun is such a fucking hack. Makes the same game 15 times and weebs ride his dick like its some legendary saga when they're only in it for the sub par waifus because the fanbase is 13-16 years old.

My favorite stage in the entire game
Wished it was later in the game though, made the game peak to early

>Koji Kondo
>overrated
his songs are done to death but the actual composition isn't bad at all, he should be swapped out for Kirkhope who hasn't done a good song since Viva Pinata

>UN was her
I still remember stumbling upon some ronald mcdonald edit of this when I was 13 on youtube and digging further and finding out about 2hu

I'm so glad I decided it wasn't for me, becoming that weeb that early would have ruined me.

Studiopolis is a fantastic zone from the music, the visuals, to the bosses.

Not true, most agree that each game has a distinct identity up until touhou 15. He has lost his creativity.

Don't get me started on the "lol I'm just an ironic weeb, haha weeb trash haha tfw no gf cause I'm a WEEB haha I'm such trash, show me that fem dik"

Who is the LEAST overrated vidya composer? My vote goes to marty

Toby Fox and Koji Kondo are both 10/10 as well

Posted on another thread.

>Tomohito Nishiura
>Hirokazu Tanaka
>Hirokazu Ando
>Taku Inoue
>AJURIKA (Tekken 7)
>Junichi Nakatsuru
>Toru Minegishi
>Mahito Yokota
>Michiel van den Bos

There is shit ton of amazing composers out there. Koji Kondo is the classic, he is so good at making the quintessential first level music in the 3D mario games (Bobomb Battlefield, Bianco Hills, Good Egg Galaxy).

David Wise

You mean up to 12.

Motoi Sakuraba.

>Kirkhope
Fucking this, dude's shit sounds like the background music of some old shitty disney movie. I hate the circlejerk over him that gamegrumps started

You dodged a bullet. The games were okay, but it got to the point where absorbing all the material and autism was taking 90% of my free time. Not worth.

Both 13 and 14 were at least decent though and had decent tracks like desire drive and little princess. However 15 and 16 have no redeeming factors whatsoever and only ironic weebs defend them.

Koji Kondo is overrated but he's not that overrated, he cam right back into Super Mario Maker and composed a perfectly fitting ghost house theme as if he had composed it back to back with the original games soundtrack. I mostly just don't believe him to be the industries best which is what people constantly call him for some reason, he's made some of the industries strongest most long lasting themes though.

Toby Fox is the most overrated, 1 decent tune in the whole game and the soundtrack is constantly praised.

That good song in Viva Pinata was composed for another game built for Snes, the first game he worked on for Rare.

I think the problem with the games is that the scoring systems turned into gaying game mechanics and took focus off of playing solidly. UFO is the most skillful the scoring system has been since IN, but nobody liked it because the UFO mechanic was a pain in the ass. DDC was fucking retarded since it rewards dying as much as humanly possible.

>tiago lopes
WHO
H
O

>Makes the same game 15 times
A claim like this is just too ignorant to really work, you need to have some truth to exaggarate or there's nothing to get defensive about. Maybe point out how the games aren't that hard, the scoring systems and gimmicks are just poorly copied from better games, and the only people playing touhou are doing so because it's popular and they couldn't name or beat any actually good shmups.

me in 7 years

youtube.com/watch?v=3s-RZoEI4pI
i just want to say how much i fucking love this song in particular

t. hijirifag

15 is known as the hardest game by a lot of people (i think it could also be 12), so it has that going for it.

Not him but the gameplay is literally the same.

>Literally the most normie one

This is true for all SHMUPS as they rely only on gimmicks to differentiate themselves.

Rin Ginsuke has a really good mix of this.
youtu.be/neX4sVOYFJ0

15 isn't that hard, the only reason people think it is is because it's the first game all the secondaries decided to play. 12 is much harder.

Except there are no weebs desperately trying to defend those other games (which don't have over 15 sequels, I lost count) and act like they're anything less than perfect. From sequel to sequel, there's not much gameplay difference. Not enough to even warrent that many sequels.

>Morrowind
>Secret of Evermore
>A couple of those Guild Wars 2 songs

Naw.

Cavefags suck so much dick that they live entirely off of cum. You're blind.

I know
>lol we hate Skyrim right guys?
But I'm not going to lie, some of the tracks on Skyrim were bitch'n

i wish shmup wasn't a dead genre desu

I don't know why you brought that up. Show me where I mentioned or defended cave story.

>cave story
Not the guy you were talking to but jesus christ

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_(company)

You fucking casual

Oh, I don't really give a shit about shmups enough to know that.

As in, they're all shmups..? They're different enough within the genre that they are quite literally not the same games, that's why your post is just too factually wrong and too ignorant to get mad at. Like calling 3D fallout "literally oblivion with guns", you really should aim higher.

Different shmups are different enough. But every Touhou is the same. That's what I'm saying.

>criticizes shmup series
>knows nothing about shmups

Would you rather compare Touhou to Mine-Craft, Undertale, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Candy Crush, Hello Neighbor and Amazing Frog because it's indie instead of it's genre? Nevermind the question, I forgot you don't really give a shit about shmups so there's no need for comparison.
Learn shit before you talk shit.

>this is the first post

Do you seriously expect someone who uses the word meme as criticism to know shit about composition or what actually makes a composer bad?

This, although Koji Kondo has lost his magic over the years.

Pretty much this, most people in the thread just have petty issues over real complaints on most of these fags.

>t. I never played Touhou or any shumps in my life.

Hardware limitations breed creativity. I wish he would do another FM Synth album.
Hell, I'd say his basic midi music from the Seihou series is better than a lot of what he's putting out these days.

Since as far as composing goes
Kondo>ZUN>Lopes>Fox

I think the most overrated one is Fox. Mind you I liked Undertale and the soundtrack was well done, but all the teenagers calling his music "DA BEST XDDD" need to chill the fuck out. He needs more than 1 game and some rom mods under his repertoire

Kondo is bait since he's the best there. ZUN is hit or miss but he has done some great BGMKino here and there. Tiago isn't bad but isn't special either and Fox needs more experience

Why must contrarians ruin everything?

Yoko Shimomura couldn't even reach Hamauzu's toenails.

GRANT KIRKHOPE

IT ALL SOUNDS LIKE MOBILE APP BACKGROUND MUSIC

BUT UHH

MUH BANJO!

He's made some iconic pieces but lately his work has been awfully generic.

I can see being a commercial artist for so long being exhausting. You pour your heart into something fairly early on, then people expect that level of quality from you and you're like "fuck, I need to pay the bills but that came from the soul." You've spent who you are on your magnum opus and kinda flounder afterwards with work that's "good enough." Look at what even John Williams is putting out now. Unless you're crazy and never satsified with yourself, your work will eventually degrade.

Koji has been making scores since 1983 for a wide variety of genres. To even suggest that he is overrated is pure nonsense. The man is behind the music of Zelda, Mario, Star Fox and Donkey Kong for fucks sake.

They're fun shmups, that's really all there is to it for me.
And Marisa is muh waifu.

>Normal modo fag who got arse busted over LoLK.

lopes is pretty good despite being a total fanboy
zun is way too samey but he's still actually good

I still wish Cave made another game like Dangun Feveron. Absolutely nothing else in their softography is as fast and fun.
shame you have to play as the cat if you're serious about score because it's too fucking fast and annoying as hell

Vanilla Dawn of War had the best soundtrack of the franchise. Fuck you for being wrong.

I was in a similar position, actually. Got into emulation when I was 13, played Earthbound, loved it, found the McGigyas video which lead me to the McRoll.
I think part of the reason I didn't go further in than occasionally listening to Touhou music was in part because the games seemed really dumb to me, and partially because the fans were obnoxious and generally awful.
Then I played the games when I was 19 and I loved them, so fuck me I guess.

fucker reuses all his songs too

Because he made a game to compliment his music, not because he wants to make a game
Who gives a fuck anyways, it's all free. You're just complaining to complain.

>Who gives a fuck anyways, it's all free.
user...

Who the fuck is Toby?

Undertale composer. Say what you want about the game, but the music is top notch.

Akira Yamaoka

Everybody look at this mad faggot and laugh.

And what you're saying is wrong since Phantasmagoria, Shoot the Bullet and Fairy Wars all exist.

You should be feeling a deep sense of shame right now.

Guild Wars 1 is the only good soundtrack he did.

Ur a retarded. Play the first three HP games nigga.

those are the same too, moron. literally every touhou game is the same.

None of the above. That honor would only go to tommy tallarico.

>implying that's his fault and Aunouma

I don't believe you actually believe this. No matter what you think of the other games, it's always a good soundtrack with some real strong standout tracks

Ehh, your probably right.

Uematsu

Maybe a bit of a cliche and not terribly relevant to modern game but dude was hitting nothing but homeruns for like 15 years.

It's most definitely not Kondo since he's legitimately really fucking good. I don't think it can be Tiago either because no one knows who he is so he can't really be overrated. I guess it's between Zun and Fox, both of which are good but their fanbases definitely blow them way out of proportion.

Koji Kondo

THIS.