Just start playing this bad boy.

I'm a Knight.

First souls game ever.

What i need to know Sup Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f3d1nvKeTnU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>le dark souls hard meme
I love these games but god damn. It's like any other game, if you adapt to the game mechanics you do fine. If you just slough your way through without adapting then yeah you'll have a hard time.

I would recommend making a new character as a Warrior. Still good stats but has a faster roll.

Otherwise, make sure to always have your shield up.

Take off all your armor and roll around to get a feel for how armor weighs you down, then decide if you want to be a tank or a lighter character so you can dodge. Tanking allows you to finish your attack animations even if you've been hit, while lighter characters will get knocked out of their animations if they're hit. You do get i-frames on your roll though.

Don't let the difficulty meme make you think you're going the right way. There are multiple paths you can take right away, but some of them are really late game areas. If the enemies seem stupidly tanky/strong then you're probably going the wrong way.

When you get to Firelink Shrine, take the stairs down to the elevator. If you don't want to go there yet, there's a graveyard you need to get past that's full of skellies.

Rolling is basically an "I win." button for 99% of encounters.

im still learning the basics at this time. but i get you're point

Keep your weight below 50% so you don't have crippled stamina regen and have a somewhat usable roll.

it's not that difficult. be patient, wait for an opening and know that rolling makes you invincible for a split second.
also only level stats that will actually be useful, for you those would be vit, end, str and maybe dex if your weapon needs it

there are several enemies who have odd attack patterns that contradict the combat you grow accustomed to in the beginning of the game.

it's pretty easy

Understand the basic mechanics

There are 4 types of rolls
Fastroll (the best, but you have to have ALL the endurance and very light armor)
Midroll (what you'll probably use)
Fatroll (shit)
Noroll (can't fuckin roll mate)

Adjust your weight so you have at least midroll. The different rolls give you different amounts of iframes. Iframes are the key. Get good at rolling out of the way at the last possible moment.

Drop your shield when not ACTIVELY being attacked to get better stamina regen. Shields are shit compared to rolling.

Weapon upgrades are 5 billion percent more important than leveling up

Generally speaking, get to the minimum requirements for a weapon, level up that weapon, get a level of health and stamina you're comfortable with, and then level your str or dex. The breakpoint is 40 for those stats.

Remember, if you quit while you're mad, it means you hollowed out in real life.

Go to the Catacombs first and kill Pinwheel, that way you'll be allowed to carry up to 20 Estus right from the start.

>implying you literally ever need more than 10 in any situation

The only reason DaS games are hard is because the controls are so fucked compared to other games.

As a religious Bayonetta/DMC4/Ninja Gaiden player, I had so much fucking trouble getting used to the clumsy controls and the massive input delay in DaS1 that it was a lot harder than it would've been otherwise. The horrendous input que system was also fucking terrible.

Also the framerate on DaS1 was fucking terrible.

>sending the new guy into cats first
Oh you just love to make people suffer huh

Dark Souls is literally the hardest, lorest game in existence.

Prepare to die and read the item descriptions.

its challenging

*blocks your path*

>implying I didn't beat O&S with -1 estus and a steering wheel

Dark Souls' controls are great, there's just no animation cancelling.

More like *gets stuck on pillar* *clips into a wall* *leaves lingering hitboxes after dying*

>framerate
play on pc

Woah, is doing that the Dark Souls of playing Dark Souls?

I still stand by 10 being enough. In my first playthrough I died to O&S probably a dozen times, and none of them were because I ran out of estus

is real life the dark souls of real life?

*can attack through one another*

stop it
youtube.com/watch?v=f3d1nvKeTnU

It's honestly not what casuals make it out to be. On my first playthorugh I died maybe 8 times, but mostly because artificial difficulty, like instant-deathtraps you can't foresee unless you died to them once.

what's up, just dropped in to say hello. good to see you two still together.

Don't listen to this twat

There's a lot of optional shit that you'll never figure out with out replaying the game 3-4 times or looking at the wiki.

Honestly if you are short on time the wiki pages make it much more enjoyable. There's also more lore online then in the game its self.

is this post the castlevania 1 of dark souls?

just remember that if you use a wiki on your first playthrough, you will regret it for the rest of your life when you finish the game and realize that you could have done it alone.

>Dark Souls' controls are great
If they were great the roll wouldn't be bound to Roll, Run, Backstep, and Jump, which is what causes the input lag to begin with. If the game wasn't coded to run at 30fps it wouldn't take almost 10ms to figure out which action it should do.

Making the run and roll button the same thing is particularly awful, since it takes away the ability to roll from running, or roll into a run. It's clunky as fuck.

I played the next two on PC. SotFS was smooth as butter.

Just a reminder that no one is going to figure out that there are TWO illusionary walls that lead to Ash Lake, just a reminder that no one is going to think to go check their cell in Undead Asylum for a doll that lets you enter a portrait in Anor Londo, just a reminder that no one is going to think to shoot Gwynevere or that a ring you get in the Catacombs will have an effect in Anor Londo, just a reminder that no one is going to find the hidden bonfire in Quelaag's domain which allows fast travel to Demon Ruins, just a reminder no one is going to know you can save Solaire by killing a bug and dumping 30 Humanity into the Chaos covenant.

>If you get good at the game it stops being hard
Real insightful.
Its one of the only modern triple A games that you couldn't beat with your eyes shut. If that doesn't qualify as hard, what does?

When I first started the game, I thought the people saying "it really isn't that hard" were just jerking themselves off. But as someone whose playtime in the first is about to hit 200 hours, plus 107 hours in III, I can honestly say I agree.
There is so much shit the developers put in the game that makes it easier on the player. Death itself is pretty damn forgiving in the game. The reason it was so hard for me at the beginning was because I thought that the game was going to be insanely difficult, and therefor never experimented, never really explored, I just stuck to my shitty initial style of playing the game because I was scared and didn't want to fuck up.

1. If something really doesn't seem to be working, you should try something else
2. Only use guides to understand upgrade paths and covenants on your first playthrough, you really don't need guides other than that
3. Be smart. If you try to dodge an enemy attack and it doesn't work, try dodging in a different direction the next time instead of just declaring that it doesn't work

Some parts genuinely do get difficult (Ornstein & Smough are a valid example I'd say) but the game is working with you the whole way. You can never run out of options in Dark Souls

>Just a reminder that no one is going to figure out that there are TWO illusionary walls that lead to Ash Lake
>just a reminder that no one is going to find the hidden bonfire in Quelaag's domain which allows fast travel to Demon Ruins
unless they read player messages

just a reminder that none of those events or areas have anything to do with the main story, and were intended to be a reward for determined players who explore everything.

>on my first playthrough I died maybe 8 times

Come on, man. Who are you trying to impress on a Samoan competitive dog grooming board.

you don't even have to get good, you have to get mediocre. Yes there are some challenges throughout the game, but that's true of most games. Dark Souls is no special exception in difficulty.

What if they play offline?

1. You don't need to figure those out
2. I discovered most of the game's secrets on my own without any guides thanks to experimentation, player messages, and keeping my eyes open

Lern 2 perry

I never figure out how to backstab or parry but beat the game fine. Are those two things just for casuals? People made it sound like they were necessary.

Nobody. I don't even consider myself to be very good at video games, but this shit just wasn't very hard, and that's a fact.

Things that aren't explained as well as they could be in game:

Weapons upgrades are good. Armor is not.

Name a triple A game released since Dark Souls with anything in it as hard as O&S.

>Just a reminder that no one is going to figure out that there are TWO illusionary walls that lead to Ash Lake

>Implying I haven't autistically checked every secret room I've found in video games for MORE secret rooms ever since that hidden bonus stage in Oil Drum Alley in Donkey Kong Country.

Glad to see it finally paid off after nearly two decades.

Then they miss out on a large chunk of the game's aesthetic. There are still people playing and the NPC phantoms are more interesting if you think they're human.

O&S is a battle with the camera and Ornstein's glitchy charge move where he gets stuck on pillars and Smough, pic related is a pure unadulterated challenge.

If you still don't know the control/mechanics very good don't engage mobs. Try having a shitty bow so you can lure them out, and take them out one at a time. Once you get better equipment, hold of the controls and level design just go for those fuckers. I hope you have a great time, user, DaS might be my favorite game ever.

Nah, its not necessary, I didn't really practice it until NG+, its just fun. Like others have said its just a game that you get accustomed/adjust to.

Its honestly kind of unreliable for pvping because its a guessing game then

>Hold l2 with whirlygig
>challenge

Orphan was the only hard boss fight in the DLC and he was probably the most boring. I didn't believe in the power of fanboys until bloodborne got popular.

Parrying is very high risk and very high reward so I wouldn't say it's for casuals. Backstabbing is incredibly unreliable but there isn't much of a penalty for blowing it most of the time.

Parrying sure is fucking satisfying though

BOOM

Good times, good times.

I actually unironically killed Gwynevere b/c of her dogface.

In fact alot of the shit I did in this game was from being stupid.

feels like some benny hill should be playing to this

>he didn't beat Biggie Smalls with only 5 estus on his first try
(lol

Are you calling her ugly?

>tfw DaS1 PvP was 10/10 when people chose to forgo backstabs but nobody ever believes me

Yeah but 8 times? There are more than 8 bosses, so you're saying that you had a perfect run on almost all of them.

I consider myself pretty decent at dark souls but it still took me 20+ tried to bring down O&S, and probably a similar number for Kalameet.

retard-level pvp was a mistake
mid-game invasions are where fun actually happens

>no one is going to figure out that there are TWO illusionary walls that lead to Ash Lake
I found one of them
>just a reminder that no one is going to think to go check their cell in Undead Asylum for a doll that lets you enter a portrait in Anor Londo
I did. The crest fallen merchant said something about a guy curling up in a ball in the nest, so I searched high and low to find a path to the nest, curled up, went to the Asylum, and, just like every other area in the game, I explored every inch of it again
> just a reminder that no one is going to think to shoot Gwynevere
Valid, but not necessary for a first playthrough
> or that a ring you get in the Catacombs will have an effect in Anor Londo
Valid, but not necessary for a first playthrough
> just a reminder that no one is going to find the hidden bonfire in Quelaag's domain which allows fast travel to Demon Ruins,
I did
> just a reminder no one is going to know you can save Solaire by killing a bug and dumping 30 Humanity into the Chaos covenant.
Valid, but again not necessary for a first playthrough

Those all act as incentives to play the game again and give NG+ a shot

Huh, that actually looks better than ingame.
Neat

Yes

parrying is for experts. it is ideal for medium builds where you can't roll around like a faggot but you're not heavy enough to take a greatsword to the face.

HEAVING

It also trivializes what is otherwise a god tier fight.

>Kalameet
Finally get good at knowing and dodgin his attacks while basically being a shrimp.
Kill him, feel like a boss.

Get a fucking ring that makes you take more damage.

Love this franchise,

It's not uncommon. You just have to play passively and never be greedy.

I fought him with 3 Different playstyles.

P1: Solaire and I
P2: Parry Fest
P3: Havel Tank.

Gonna go in Skinny next time.

Most of them just weren't very hard if you kept your gear upgraded and put enough vit you could basically just tank the majority. If I did happen to die to a boss, I just summoned a bunch of people to help me out, which immediately erased all semblance of difficulty.

>boob physics
>still doesnt open mouth to talk
priorities straight ahead based from soft

>summoning

I don't think anyone opened their moves at all to talk in DS

Andre and Frampt but that's it iirc
That's always confused me

Fun fact: Andre, Frampt, Kaathe and Quelaan are the only NPCs who have animated mouth movements when talking.

Quelaag's sister and Andre both have mouth animations. There might be others too. Maybe Priscilla?

Almost nobody moves their mouths in any Dark Souls game. Andre in 3 is the only one I can think of, don't remember if he does in 1 or not.

He does in 1, I'm pretty sure he's the only character to do so.

Since people shit on DS2 for having Iron Keep above the burning whindmill, why is it ok for DS1 to have the swamp of Blight Town above Ash Lake where you can even see the sun comming through the sky ?

Guess they figured most non essential NPC's were to be helmet heads, or figured players wouldn't notice.

Andre, Frampt, Kaathe and Quelaan are the only ones in the first one.

How'd Nito go? Just happen to bring divine weapons first time around?

Reaction parried the new londo archer first time you saw him?

Predicted the sens fortress boulders and mimic?

The game has more than 8 nearly unavoidable deaths if you haven't seen areas for the first time, regardless of player skill.

Because you don't understand primeval metaphysical extra-dimensional stuff. Ash Lake isn't a physical place.

MAKING MY WAY DOWNTOWN

>i heard a divine blacksmith resides there...those who get stumped in the catacombs, seek him for divine weapons...

That's kinda like asking a Christian where heaven is when we can see above the clouds. Ash Lake is a pseudo-mystical place where life theoretically originated, it ain't gotta explain shit. I wonder what lurks in the black waters below though.

If the game pulls this "forced online" bullshit, I figured I might as well use it to my advantage, just like tryharding "git gud" spouting, underage redditors had the ability to use it to invade me and wreck my ass.

nice fantasy physics you got there

>I wonder what lurks in the black waters below though.
hydras?

But what's underneath them?

Why would guard against an attack like that? If you got that far you should know heavy attacks knock you back.

Hydras are the shore fish of Ash Lake.

>Battle with the camera
Kojima says hi phil

This game will change your view of gaming. After playing dark souls suddenly all your games suck in comparison to the masterpiece that is dark souls.

I honestly cant tell if you're fucking shitting me

I thought its the tree where the whole area of Undead Burg and around rests on and suddenly its the Twillight Zone ?

But its a made up game, pulling that card is like giving no shits about the explanation

Why is even the Hydra from the other place there ?

Hydras are creations of Seath, it doesn't originate in Ash Lake.

Scyllas?