Did we really need anything after 3?

Did we really need anything after 3?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/worst and most casual stealth series ever made/
metagearsolid.org/reports_mgs4_kojimaVSmgs4.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Did we really need anything after 1?

4 was pretty nice, but V was unbearable.

Arguably an even better question.

>Did we really need anything after 3?

yes because it never answered the questions 2 raised at the end

What, are you telling me you DIDN'T like Mr. Bones' Wild Ride?

I would have rather spent years puzzling it out as best as possible and not got any sequels. I hate ruining a perfectly good almond activation with explicit detail.

Was it really worth it?

>worst and most casual stealth series ever made
>written by a hack with the mentality of a teenager
>themes are a bunch of conspiracy nonsense and/or pseudo-intellectual post-mo crap
>90% of all characters are wacky insane idiots with completely flat personalities
>gameplay becomes more broken with each new installment
>lots of shitty boss battles despite that they're supposed to be stealth games

Did we ever need any of them at all?

>perfectly good
that doesn't apply to MGS2

>Was it really worth it?
Yes. Especially since it eventually led to one of the more fun experiences I had in gaming

MR BONES I WANT TO GET OFF YOUR WILD RIDE

>doesn't apply to MGS2
Compared to 4 it does

I didn't even finish V. The whole "episode" layout, the story fell apart, it was just horrible.

No, we really did not

I'm embarrassed for anyone who unironically likes MGS4.

I'm embarassed for anyone who unironically likes MGSV.
Seriously, at least 4 resembled an actual MGS game.

what if I like parts of 4?

Like Chapter 4, the final boss, Rex vs Ray, explaining what the fuck went on with 2, and improved Raiden?

Did we really need anything after 2?

No seriously, did we? MGS3 fucking sucks.

people were mad about mgs2 ending ambiguously

really mad

MG1 you mean
Kojima really jumped the shark with Metal Gear 2 and going 3D was the final nail in the coffin

>Did we really need anything after 2?

yes due to the ambiguous ending

Then you missed the point.

Questions Kojima came up with on a whim and never intended to be answered really didn't need to be answered

The boss battles are to switch things up from the stealth
Have you played any MGS games?
And wow I had a sneaking suspicion you liked to whip this out every time you see an MGS thread, looks like I was right
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/worst and most casual stealth series ever made/

there was no point.

>and never intended to be answered
post proof.

>really didn't need to be answered
except they did.

MGS2 ended perfectly, it didn't need a sequel. The story ended with MGS1, MGS2 is a meta commentary on sequels. It's not coincidental that the last good MGS game (MGS3) was a prequel, once Kojihack became the sole director of the series he created the abomination known as MGS4.

>Have you played any MGS games?

Unfortunately.

The series should've stayed dead after 4. As much I would have LOVED to play it more rather than watch it. It was really satisfying seeing Liquid and Snake fight it out on the top of the submarine.

>except they did.

Why?

We needed V for our pants

I'm 95% sure MGS4 was intentionally sabotaged by Kojima out of spite for being forced back into it.

>MGS2 ended perfectly
see pic

>MGS2 is a meta commentary on sequels
it was a bad sequel.

> he created the abomination known as MGS4.
to fix the mistakes of MGS2

I never said I wanted it to have a sequel

those death threat guys who wanted concrete answers from a mindfuck game sure did though

contrarian Xbox kids are the only reason 4 has a shitty reputation now

prove me wrong

>mgs4 fixes the mistakes of mgs2
>everything is just nanomachines
>or hooked boots

4 is by far the worst in the series. And that is saying a lot because after the tanker 2 turns into a literal joke that is 50% codec conversations, 25% cutscenes and 25% disappointing gameplay. 4 changed this to 40/40 split between codec and cutscenes then added 10% setpieces and gimmicky side quests leaving very little room for the admittedly good gameplay segments.

Nanomachines, the answer was nanomachines.

wasn't worth it

nope sorry V was the worst
stick to ubisoft games bud

You like the worst parts of the game.

>see pic
Not an argument.

>it was a bad sequel
No, gameplay-wise it was a natural evolution from the foundation MGS1 created. The story was good and got the intended message through to the audience.

>to fix the mistakes of MGS2
MGS2 wasn't meant to be taken literally. When your publisher puts a gun up to your head and tells you to make a sequel to a game that doesn't need one you start needlessly retconning the intended message of MGS2.

4 had a shitty reputation from the day it released because it is trash.

>muh kino

MGS4 is a misunderstood masterpiece.

Peace Walker was actually decent and it hinted at Big Boss becoming more and more the third world dictator that Metal Gear 1 & 2 made him look, but then V had to shit it all up for some nonsense meta story about the player.

>to fix the mistakes of MGS2
user, you don't fix something by making every single problem about it 50 times worse while.

idk if anyone else feels like this but I feel like one entry introduces a new gameplay style and then the next one refines it
like this
>MGS1 new style
>MGS2 refines it
>MGS3 new style
>MGS4 refines it
>PW new style
>V ref-
nevermind

Never owned an xbox in my life, and 4 was my least favorite from when I first played it to when V was out.

Out of curiosity what do you like about it?
Hard mode: no cutscenes, story, set pieces, or kino shit

I like it for how it is literally Kojima shitting on the idea of making an actual sequel the fans want.

>Hard mode: ignore parts of the game just because
For what purpose?

I don't really feel like 4 refined anything that 3 had. It definitely took a lot of the same principles, but didn't really make them better, just changed a few things, simplified the camo, and put it all in a different context. I've always enjoyed 3 more than 4.

It's a video game, not a Hollywood blockbuster or one of your Japanese animes. The point is to play it.

That's just like your opinion, different people enjoy different things. Besides, I thought the gameplay was excellent.

not that guy you're replying to but, the gameplay (What little there is) is spectacular and fun, especially for when it came out. Its a pretty fun quick game to blast through if you're skipping all of the story related content.

Acts 1 and 2 are GOAT and some of the best levels MGS has to offer, especially on repeat playthroughs when you have more gear to mess around with. Act 3 didn't turn out that great but at least it tried something different for the series. Act 4 is nostalgic and emotional as fuck but the actual level is fairly bland and straightforward. Act 5 is basically a straight shot to the end but not bad by any means.

How much of a mistake will the movie be?

better than 2's "I'm not explaining shit"

mgs1 is mg2 in 3d

I can't agree with that.

>MGS2 wasn't meant to be taken literally

and yet the MGS2 fanbase does.

Hell, they take the speech by the retarded AI at the end seriously.

>he thinks the movie is still happening
lmao

There's been plenty of buzzing lately, so it's certainly plausible.

Almost as big as V's existence

Yes

In my headcanon, MGS 2 and MGS 4 never happened and Snake got to live happily for the rest of his life with his waifu Meryl.

Considering that both are essentially overly meta filibuster about why you shouldn't make sequels, you really shouldn't take them into consideration regarding the series' canon.

except 2 wasn't meta.

Hell, it wasn't even good.

"U mad whiteboi?" - big dick akiba
stay butthurt and cucked

Good or bad, it literally was a meta commentary on sequels and the player's relationship with the games they play

>except 2 wasn't meta

>literally was a meta commentary on sequels

except it wasn't. It was just a bad sequel, just like Chrono Cross

meta is not an indicator of quality. just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not what it literally is.

The "questions" in mgs2 were intentionally stuff that was left open ended because it frankly didn't matter, with the single exception of where the patriots came from (covered in MGS3) everything that needed to be explained in MGS2 was explained

>were intentionally stuff that was left open ended because it frankly didn't matter

except it did matter in the overall MGS universe.

>with the single exception of where the patriots came from (covered in MGS4)
fixed.

>It's a "the plot of MGS2 isn't extremely simple just because it has some themes and meta commentary" episode

Yet apparently the general audience still completely missed the point of the game.

>except it did matter in the overall MGS universe.
name one

> (covered in MGS4)
No, it's covered by MGS3. Ignoring the fact that zero making the phrase snake needs to met up with the spy being "WHO ARE THE PATRIOTS LA LE LU LE LO" is setup for zero being the one behind it because that could just be written off as a dumb meta gag like the raiden stuff, MGS3 literally explains the ending of MGS2 ("They all died over 100 years ago") by revealing that was talking about the wisemans committe, and the end timeline has the american branch of the philosophers renaming themselves as the patriots after obtaining most of the legacy.

All MGS4 did was spell out ZERO DID IT ALL ALONG in painful detail when that was already decently set up in MGS3 and more importantly literally doesn't matter at all to the plot of either MGS2 OR 3 (or 4, frankly)

Because it got a shaky translation and came out in 2002 before the internet was widespread among american normies. People love to go KOJIMA WAS RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME ABOUT FAKE NEWS AND THE INTERNET when large parts of that stuff was already a thing back then and kojima just built ontop of it, we just still lived in a world where real life and the internet were considered separate with TV being king

The point he is referring to is more of the post-modernist commentary on the medium and its audience

>name one

Who were the Patriots and how do we stop them?

> literally explains the ending of MGS2 ("They all died over 100 years ago")
that was fake news.

Otacon ending is best ending though. Bros before hoes.

first ending I got, so it's always been the one I think of

>Who were the Patriots
MGS2 says that they're some kind of vauge deep state AI that filters between real news and fake news (based on their opinions of it) in order to give the people the information/memes it believes are best suited for it. MGS3 says that the philosophers are basically the illuminati and the american branch ends up calling themselves the patriots after becoming more popular. Connecting one to the other is extremely simple

>that was fake news.
retcon bullshit on the same level as "big boss told me he was his dad in zanzibar"

What we need is a MGR2 starring Jetstream Sam

Yeah, the whole Patriots thing is not unlike Kaz's whole story arc in Peace Walker and Phantom Pain where we didn't really need to see the moment he left (also the retarded reason they made), we could kind of assume Big Boss became too bad to handle.

>retcon bullshit
it was exposing the truth on the Patriots manipulating information/creating fake news.

MGS4 only explained things that low IQ faux intellectuals wanted explained. MGS4 should've been a game about the boss in WW2

>MGS4 only explained things that low IQ faux intellectuals wanted explained

they needed to explained.

Long neckbeardy read, but still worth it
metagearsolid.org/reports_mgs4_kojimaVSmgs4.html

idk I like 4 but the boss in ww2 sounds really really really fun

>According to the Handbook, Big Boss was a third generation Japanese-American who was born in Hawaii. The entire American side of his family had perished during the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor. While his Japanese relatives were locked up in internment camps, he joined the 442nd Infantry Regiment in his teens. Big Boss gained his first combat experience fighting in France, where his unit had contributed to freeing towns from Nazi control in 1944. After returning to America after the war, he lost patriotism for his country, due to prejudice towards his Japanese heritage.
Would you have liked 3 more if it was based on Big Boss's long since retconned bio?

Keep telling yourself that, cupcake
I, for one, think we need a sequel to the Italian Job. What was their plan their at the end? It NEEDS to be explained!

Mr bones, off me.

I have not seen that move so your shitty attempt at "logic" is lost to me

Not the only thing lost on you, evidently.

I don't give a shit about shitposting

Are we just posting non sequiturs now?

Why do the Japanese have to find a way to force themselves into everything they make?

How many times do I have to say this again?

Big Boss's height being 6'3 is literally Patriot propaganda meant to glorify him. PW was more or less an entirely true story, since part of this game shows him slowly descending to evil while taking a heavy position on opposing Cipher. Something that the Patriots would never show to popularize his image.

Hence, BB is really 6'.