Game dev thread

Got anything to share Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

ambientdev.itch.io/seasons-past
godotdevelopers.org/forum/discussion/18602/project-raspidarasilo-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Godot is better

Really need to get rid of Construct 2 for Godot by now.

I agree but the audio system in 2.1 is pretty bad. And now we're in this weird place where 3.0 won't be stable for at least 6 months.

Make me a new image and Ill switch to that one from now on or else I make them all rpgmaker

What is the point of making a pong game if you obstruct part the game field?

>And now we're in this weird place where 3.0 won't be stable for at least 6 months.
I guess we're all waiting on Godot

I'm going to keep working in 2.1 because I'm doing 2D so a lot of the updates (other than audio) from 3.0 don't affect me. But I hope the 2.1-3.0 converter has got its kinks ironed out by the time 3.0 is ready.

C# support would be nice too I don't know how mature that branch is right now. GDScript is actually pretty nice so I'll probably just keep my codebase in that.

I'm new to animating and this shooting animation took me 2 days. Is it too extra, does it look wonky? I couldn't find another way to make him change his gripping from the top of the staff to the bottom and this one looked cool but I'm not sure what anyone else thinks. I still need to animate his hair waving with his head and a few minor clothing movements

/agdg/ is worse than Sup Forums never speak of it again.

how's this

Perfect thanks, expect the next thread made by me to use this one

Make the elbow bend when he takes the staff as reaction to weight, and make his hand turn when he gives the force to spin it. And if the attack is some sort of railgun-like beam, it feels fine, but for other, is rather extra.

Is GM good tor making a sidescrolling beatup platformer?

Tween your stuff.

Yes. Don't fall for the GMS2 jew though.

Thanks, I've done that and it does look better

What do you mean tween? If you mean the frames/lag the actual animation is 60 fps its just that bandicam is shit lmao

>What do you mean tween?
easings.net

Send result?

Wats so bad bout GMS2?

this is way too static dude

i don't know if it's a limitation of your software, but there's not enough body movement going on. also, there's no antic before he throws the staff

i have a little spinning thing

also my demo is here:

ambientdev.itch.io/seasons-past

It's a sizeable price increase and attempt to phase out GMS 1. Console export licenses are also subscription now instead of one-time payments. Also given the features of GMS1 vs 2, you'd probably just be better off with GMS1 or moving to godot or something.

Tbh either way its one of the best engines for 2D.

nice

Is CGCookie worth it for Blender learning?

this is your map for tonight

people here tend to shit on this type of REEEE PIXELSHIT INDIEDEV art style but i actually like it.

What kind of movement do you suggest? Theres no limitations it's just that Im still learning how to animate so tips like this are appreciated

Postan game again, still working on skills.

thats cute as fuck

Only if you're serious.

Why you not make your game in Java Sup Forums?

I am about to start college with a major CS with a minor in game design next week. I took a AP CS class in senior year of high school and it was only JAVA and I had done very little JAVA before, but I am really passionate about this stuff. so I had to teach myself more about JAVA outside of class because the teacher had to cut corners because it was AP and he didn't do a good job explaining when I asked him for help. I ended up getting a B and a 3 on the AP test. I'm not very smart, I may get good grades and SAt scores but I can't look at something and be a genius and understand it in a day. I spent most of high school up until midnight or past midnight just so I could keep a high GPA and stay on honor roll. Do I even have a chance even if I try all I can or is someone like me bound to fail hard enough to never recover?

>program on multiple platforms
>reprogram for the different platforms
>use library for different platforms
>now the code looks like you're using an engine
I just use an engine now and skip a few steps.

Dont overwork yourself user, just do what you can handle

It doesn't matter how stupid you are, rather, how much effort you can put into something.
This is especially true of game design, you don't need to be a genius to make games, but the ability to see your projects through is a far more precious and worthy skill.
Also, don't minor in game design, instead make games in your spare time, degrees matter less than an actual portfolio.

>Aw shit I just got a great idea for a video game, better start working on it
>Power goes out, tree fell on a powerline and snapped the whole post
>Won't be fixed for probably another week
>mfw even nature doesn't want me to dev

Don't really need the game design minor unless you think the classes would really help you in your personal projects.

The majority of what people are looking for in a potential hire is passion (that leads to lots of personal projects) and the ability to follow through on your projects.

If you can keep a B, work hard, and make sure you've got plenty of projects to pad your resume you'll be okay. Probably. Just keep in mind that CS isn't computers, it's math using computers.

Since the game I'm working on is pretty much in a playable state I've been working on graphics/sound stuff. Added sound effects and music to the game entirely. Also added 3D placeholder models but without a large array of animations they work pretty poorly and I'm not willing to pay for placeholder stuff. I've already swapped back to sprites.

I need a good protagonist name.

behindthename.com/random/

Well that all depends on the kind of culturr your protagonist lives in don't it?

>Godot is better
here is my FPS game in godot

bump

Jack

halo multiplayer ripoff or a game inspired by the thing?

not bad

sorry, should included a download link

godotdevelopers.org/forum/discussion/18602/project-raspidarasilo-4

please note that is old 2.1 godot, not the 3.0 spicy one

Shepherd

You literally don't have to be smart at all if all you want to do is program games.

Alright, i need some advice from you guys.
I had been unemployed for a year.
Should i continue to look for a job, which seems unlikely?
or should i go for a further study?
or should i say fuck it, and invest everything i got into making a game?
I'm by no means pro and am just programmer which can draw a little but definitely can't make music for shit.
On top of that, i'm also depressed and suicidal as hell, so I feel like i will probably kill myself if my study din't went well.
I just don't know anymore.
Everything seems like it doesn't matter and whatever choice i made seems like it will be the wrong choice.

Work a job while making a game. If you get good quit job.

NEETdev here: fuck it and make a game.

further study indie games are a crap shoot. Dont look at this further than a hobby right now.

3.0 isn't even out yet, though, so it's understandable. Still, it looks fucking good, though.

I can't find any job for a year.
It's unlikely miracle just happen and found me a job now.
I don't know if i had come too far to stop looking for job now.
But if i continue and still couldn't find a job, the resume will only look super bad with such a long time of blank empty non-working period.

Is there any info on what you have to do to release your games for Nintendo Switch yet? I know Unity is what Nintendo suggests, but what are all the details? Do you have to submit an application for a DevBox?

Maybe flick the wrist a bit when he spins it. The second throw and catch look good though

Better than Youtube tutorials?

I even have not used any cool features like normal maps and shaders, maybe I am banned in google, but are there any other first person shooters in godot were being made?

This game was like me learning how to have fun modeling in blender - made almost 20 maps for this game.

If you decide to download and play, there some cheat codes if you get stuck.
lvlgd - 666 ammo and hp
raspidaras - port to next level

Yes.

What's it like? Not him, but I'm trying to get autism bux so I'll be free to just channel all my autism into something somewhat productive that I actually enjoy, but I'm scared of realizing 10 years from now that all I did was fuck around while trying to make lame shit that no one really wants to play.

The Godot Patreon is currently $2,884/$3000. Once they start getting $3000, the main dev will work on Godot 3 full-time.

well, i'm thinking of it as building up my portfolio as well.
Right now, I don't have a good portfolio for the job i'm asking for.
I'm thinking of going into Unity and make some projects that can at least land me into a job that requires Unity knowledges.
Or I could do some HTML stuffs and be a web developer instead.
But all these options will require more time invested by me which doesn't guarantee the result.
I might be wasting more time going nowhere.
Which if i have a job right now, i can build a career and wouldn't have much problem anymore.
Or go to further study and start looking for job as a more experienced fresh graduates which looks better than my current 1 year unemployed resume.
Or hopefully make a game that can atleast make me about $50k which can support me to continue making more games.

All while i'm prepared to die, and wanted to die every single moment i'm awake.
How do i get motivated for anything when i'm already preparing for the worst?

Please make a kazoo cover of Yankee-Doodle-Dandy your placeholder bgm

Get a candle and start scratching out your concepts and code design. You don't need electricity, scrub

>doing 10 years of something you want to do or
>doing 10 years of something you don't want to do

At least you tried instead of regretting your life on your deathbed.

Just don't forget to eat and sleep.

It's pretty old at this point, but here's a gif of a little enemy.

Yeah I know, I'm on that. Kinda surprised $3000 a month is a decent full time salary for a software developer though. That's pretty low considering my own salary. But I think Juan lives in some country with a low cost of living or something.

What are you waiting for, Sup Forums?

>HTML
>web developer
You are new, aren't you?

web development is a better gamble. You can get free lance work for that as well.

Motivation you have to force. I use unbridled anger to keep myself from ending it.

Godot has been pretty niche, and it only started catching on a bit when they revealed how good 3.0 will be. You and one other person from /agdg/ are the only people I know making 3D games in godot.

Sketch the key-frames
Draw the key-frames
Do the tween frames and tweak
Finalize

Have actual movement, not stiff wobbling - it looks like an early flash game on the internet
Use the whole body - move the body, not the weapon

Already added a bit of wrist flick from another guys suggestion, thanks for the kind words!

A job

Just the advice I was looking for. Ill do this for the rest of the animations and for this one when I get back to it, how did I not think of this haha

CryEngine is the best engine ever created, you cannot prove me wrong.

Got this email from CodeAcademy yesterday.

>Demand from today's HOTTEST NEW FRAMEWORK IS IN HIGH DEMAAAAND
It will be replaced by the next hottest framework in a year or so. Seriously, WebDev is so shit.

Looks like an Adventure Quest rip-off

How is Godot in terms of 2D stuff?

p good

If only it's documentation was just as good`

Excellent. Unlike Unity, Godot has its own dedicated 2D engine.
Godot 3 will be even better with GNative.

Doing things the American way and paying someone else to do the work for me. Just hired a sprite artist a few hours ago too.

The American way would be making a Chinaman/Irishman do it

>Blender
>Open Source 3D Software
>Excellent quality, could pass as professional software

>Gimp
>Open Source 2D Graphics Software
>Literal trash

>Godot
>Open Source Videogame Engine
>???
Between Blender and Gimp, how does Godot rank?

For performance only second to game maker if not just as good. I definitely prefer coding in godot though. The scene/node architecture is really nice and intuitive and the scripting language is basically python though C# is coming soon as well. You can also write your own modules for the engine in C++ for performance critical code and then use those modules in your scripts like any of the base classes. Magic of open source really. At the end of the day you have way more flexibility with godot to make performance gains than other engines.

Closer to Blender than GIMP, and when 3.0 officially releases, VERY close to Blender.

I didn't say it wasn't :^)

>Gimp
>Literal trash

Linux fags blown the fuck out!

looks fucking awful

I still use gimp for the odd edit here and there but actual artists have moved on to other open source projects like krita.

minor progress, enemy has collisions. No actual behaviour yet but the animations are done for it

>Excellent quality, could pass as professional software
ahahahahahahaha it has piss poor usability like gimp, lack of features compared to professional alternatives, full of bugs, almost no documentation

godot is shit too

That is some slick as fuck animation user, even if it's ripped straight from Castlevanie.

damn, that looks fluid as fuck. nice job!

Just the style I was going for

Can you explain further please