Atari are launching a new gaming system, the 'Ataribox' and it runs Linux

gamingonlinux.com/articles/atari-are-launching-a-new-gaming-system-the-ataribox-and-it-runs-linux.10418

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=45M0cz-9Nvs
drive.google.com/open?id=0B6BkA3FzL4mrWmdjZkdTZ3FhTWs
investopedia.com/articles/investing/080515/economics-gaming-consoles.asp
twitter.com/atari/status/903677214914371585
twitter.com/AnonBabble

crying_atari_wojak.png

FRESH

>Atari

No one currently working under that name had any involvement with the original company. This is a nostalgia cash-in.

youtube.com/watch?v=45M0cz-9Nvs

>linux

this is fucking it. microsoft is dead. first google with android, then valve with steamos, now other companies slowly joining in. they're fucked. they're living on a borrowed time. their core business will die in shit once they lose what made them rich and powerful in the first place. video games. you think people give a shit about dumbass faggotry like photardshoop? no, they don't, otherwise they'd use overpriced apple garbage for desktops. they care about video games. once that is gone, you'll witness complete adobe software library going open source and on linux. if sony and nintendo join the gaming linux fray, i'd give satan nutella 2 weeks before a suicide by choking on a giant horse dildo

every company

linux isnt an issue, wii/wiiu use linux variations, ps3/ps4/vita/switch use freebsd.
Main concern is that it's going to be crowdfunded, im expecting an OUYA tier console

>runs on Linux

wew, confirmed dead on arrival OUYA 2.0

Nope, Nintendo still has tons of people who have worked since the 80s still in their ranks.

I'm wondering, what company started this project?

Nintendo is like 120 years old.

For (you)

Probably, bigger question is what can it do. If it's a reasonably decent box that can emulate games like nothing else and play older Linux Steam games, fine, if it only plays trash and I have to re-buy things, then no

Nintendo is one solid company. There's no way that Atari is anywhere close to intact from the early 1980s. Let's recap
>original Atari Inc. was broken up by Warner in the mid-1980s
>the arcade portion was retained and renamed Atari Games
>Atari Games ended up bouncing around between owners and ultimately absorbed into Midway, which went out of business
>the rest of the Atari assets, rocked by layoffs went to Jack Tramiel
>more layoffs as it was structured into Atari Corp. and focused on computers, game consoles at this point were basically old inventory
>Atari Corp. makes Jaguar, it fails
>more layoffs
>merges with JT Storage Inc.
>pretty much everyone at Atari sacked
>Atari brand sold to Hasbro
>Hasbro Interactive sells out to Infogrames, becomes Infogrames Interactive
>Infogrames eventually renames to Atari and all its subsidiaries
>financial problems for the last decade
>declare bankruptcy in 2013
no way anyone at Atari from anywhere close to the golden days works there anymore

Not to mention the very first splits like Activision.

>It will launch on Indiegogo soon
Literally Ouya 2.0

HERE WE GO AGAIN LADS
drive.google.com/open?id=0B6BkA3FzL4mrWmdjZkdTZ3FhTWs

Glorious

>new gaming system
>in 2017
>by none other than fucking atari
The absolute madmen

>It will use an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. This likely means a proper CPU for a desktop and not an ARM chip like found in other devices. It runs Linux, but they will be customizing the interface as it's mainly aimed at using it like a console on a TV. Even so, they say it will give a "full PC experience for the TV". You will also apparently get full access to the underlying Linux system, so there might possibly be a proper Linux desktop included to achieve this.
Groovy

what kind of performance do you expect with that price? It could be a tad faster than a base PS4, no?

Oh wow, it's Ouya 2.0.

PS4 level performance. 1.2tflops-2tflops.

I might buy one if I can do documents in it.

No bullshit, that's a capability I'd like to just have in case my main machine goes out.

>Will my crowdfunded console be faster than a ps4?
No.
Practically every console is sold at a loss, and the economies of scale Nintendo Sony and Microsoft have built up are insane, in addition, as seen in the failure of Sega, the market can't support 4 main consoles at once, one will always lose, and business's don't like industries where having a shit product means you sell so little, the xbone totally lost this gen, and it's losing money, but it's a mangable level, the dreamcast wasn't that, and this atari 6900 clearly ain't gonna be the new hotness.

>a crowdfunded Linux-based console

History repeats itself.

>Practically every console is sold at a loss
Source: Your ass.

or internet and some light programming in Haskell, Prolog, Erlang and C

>Linux
Linux isn't even capable of running most games out there right now

Using the Linux kernel was hardly the reason for Ouya being a piece of shit. Don't really understand what people are trying to meme. Not that I believe a crowdfunded console will get any traction anyway.

investopedia.com/articles/investing/080515/economics-gaming-consoles.asp
>Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have sold more than 80 million units worldwide since they were released in 2006 and 2005 respectively; the Wii has sold more than 100 million units. These consoles generally have a life cycle of around six to eight years, which helps them cover the costs for research and development, production, etc. In 2006, at the time of PS3’s launch, each console was sold at a loss of around US $240 per console, while the Xbox 360 lost around US $125 per console when it launched in 2005.
Source:investopedia.com/articles/investing/080515/economics-gaming-consoles.asp
That was in 2005, i can't imgagine an xbones's that much cheaper to produce, it takes a long ass time for a company to start making a positive return per console, and when tanking that loss microsoft and sony have to dig into their reserves or the pockets of their other divisons, notice that when Sega dropped out, it was a company that could handle the losses that would be intially made per console, through their economies of scale AKA, Microsoft.

The Atari that's making this has nothing to do with the 1980's atari sans brand image, that's the only reason they're making this, the brand is pretty strong so they're exploiting it.

Oh, so it's gonna be an emulation/piracy box. Convenient, I guess.

>ps3
>xbox 360
WOW. SONY AND MICROSOFT BTFO. STOP THE PS4 PRODUCTION NOW

what do you even mean by that?

Activision had also gone bankrupt at one time when it tried to branch out into non-video game titles. The post-bankruptcy Activision introduced Bobby Kotick into the company, though he did replace Bruce Davis, a hack who who had tried to diversify Activision while single-handedly murdered Infocom using tactics that would be repeated with other studios by Activision and EA (et. al.) later down the line, including forcing them to release mediocre games before they were ready to meet schedules (sound familiar?). Activision already had blood on their hands almost 30 years ago, you really think that anyone from Activision has lasted that long?

So it's going to be a custom steam box kind of thing with an amd apu? Could be cool if they get some exclusives going for it.

They should also put their /entire/ atari catalog on it for launch.

>hurr durr market conditions change completely because FUTURE
There's a pretty big difference in processing power between a xbone and a xbox 36t0, unless you think that the companies would abandon their lost leader strategy and raise their prices like a rocket, in which case, you're silly.

Explain the fundamental market shifts that have effected the market since the xb360 and Ps4 or fuck off, saying "It's different because future" is fucking dumb.

>They actually expect this console to be successful when Sony and the PS4 have already knocked fucking NINTENDO out of the home console market.

well i guess the "leaks" on atariage were not right. pretty sure that it was said that it won't be steam machine or a atari emulator box. but sounds like it'll be both.

To be fair to Nintendo, they've only been really successful in the "hardcore" console market once, and that was the n64, almost two decades ago, while they've consistently shit on everyone in the handheld market.

RIP Vita, we hardly knew ye.

No bing bing wahoo, no want.

Ouya 2.0 with a touch of Flashback Atari 2600. It sounds like a streaming device.

>supports steam linux library
>comes with atari library
>can be used as an emulator
>can be used as a desktop
>looks nice and classy next to a widescreen tv

this thing is gonna be mildly successful and for that reason alone it's gonna make Sup Forums cry

>with a price between $249-$299

AMD has a minimum by in for their semi-custom designs of $100,000,000. If the company is trying to crowd fund this thing then its a guarantee that it won't ever come out.

Unless it's using Ryzen APUs it's DoA.

>ghetto kickstarter
It's even worse than that

>Memes that developed around a dead company
>Some of these memes have legitimately convinced some people to be hyped for this dead company
Is this some modern propaganda?

>runs on Linux
So another Steam Machine?
Whatta shame, I actually was hoping for an alternative to the PS4/Xbone/Switch

You can't seriously think it was going to be an alternative.

memes aside if they put out something good for the customers it wont matter what the "hype" is

They won't put out anything good. A company that has been bankrupt and traded around like a used whore that is suddenly announcing their "return to fame" isn't going to put out anything good. And especially not at a time when we're what, halfway if not further into the generation.

>It will use an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. This likely means a proper CPU for a desktop and not an ARM chip like found in other devices.

What "other devices" are those ? Phones?

Consoles use x86 architecture.

That's not Linux's fault. By that logic PS4 should fail even harder because its FreeBSD ( By the by, PS2 was Linux).

You're saying that as if all 3 systems are running the same operating system.

PS4 is FreeBSD.
Xbox is NT Kernel.
Switch is... hmm. Dunno actually, but it looks Like an Android/*nix variant.

Things like the Switch and anything else that uses Tegra

>Linux
>"A PC experience on TV"
>Linux compatible games on Steam
>Preloaded Atari games lel
>300$ depending on the model
It's dead jim.

iF NEW TEMPEST IS COMING ITS DAY ONE BUY TO ME.
That was the sole reason why i bought the atari jaguar years ago. 5/5 game to me.

HAVE I GOT GOOD NEWS FOR YOU!
twitter.com/atari/status/903677214914371585

iirc infogrames bought atari and changed their name