Is Medievil still worth playing?

I've been in the mood for spooky games recently and this one has come to my attention. According to IGN and most other recent reviews it's aged like absolute garbage though (ign.com/articles/2007/04/10/medievil-review) and that was from 10 years ago. Is it still worth the time for someone who has no nostalgia for it but likes the game's style?

Jumping sections can get you killed, but it's very fun nevertheless. Get the Chalice on every level, play with whatever weapon you like to use, and enjoy the game.

Oh, and play PS1 version. Ignore Resurrection version on PSP (well, you can listen to its OST, bit that's it) - it's worse than original PS1 version.

Yeah, it's a great games.
Shame Sony killed this series, along with other great ones, for shitty movies.

Not-op here
I've been playing through the game right now and having a lot of fun. Just beat the pumpkin boss. Camera isn't too bad except in some of the smaller spaces. Nothing gamebreaking though, anyone calling the game terrible because of it has some pretty bad priorities. How's the sequel in comparison?

Ignore IGN. I played it for the first time over the summer (so no nostalgia) and loved it. Combat is very simple yet somehow very satisfying. Atmosphere and music is fantastic. I feel the camera is a genuine gripe, but get past that and it's actually so good. If you have any appreciation for Halloween/cute spooky stuff OP, I find this to be a "why haven't you played this"

this is weird and random but something is telling me to tell you God loves you and you should think about going to church. Hope this doesn't derail or detract from my recommendation. Literally just got a weird feeling as I was replying to you. God bless and enjoy your game pal

The PSP port is dogshit ignore it

It's still pretty neat but if you really want spooky you should try out Heart of Darkness.

Medievil 2 change the setting to London-ish (the game state that the year is 1886), so if you liked the setting of old one, you might like or might not like the new one.
Game is harder in terms of replayabililty, because Health Fountains don't respawn when you revisit the level. Used it up before? It's gone forever. Good luck with keeping your health and Health Bottles in check!
Also, there's more "mini-game" levels, which might also turn you off (but there's not too many of them), and several boss fights take place in separate levels (which is a plus, I guess - I wouldn't want to replay last level each time I want to try beat final boss).
I guess weapons got a bit more variety, but you're still gonna use melee weapons most of time. Though the final ranged weapon is rad as hell (hint: it's not Lightning).

I'd say that first Medievil is still better (at least in terms of replayability), but it's worth playing through Medievil 2 at least once.

Alright guys thanks, I'll give it a go. Why do I keep trusting IGN anyways? They're the same website that gave godhand a 3/10.

also user, that spoiler is freaky stuff. I got back into religion a few months ago and went to church a lot. Around two weeks ago I kind of felt a falling out and hit a bit of depression which made me stop going. In the past few days I haven't been sure if I believed in God anymore. I'm not sure how to feel about coincidences like this but I'll probably try going again this sunday. Thanks user

>IGN review
>"we had to consult a FAQ to figure out how to leave the hall of heroes"

Absolutely.
Just keep in mind that there's a walk button like in Tomb Raider for PS1. It won't stop you falling from ledges IIRC but it really helps. I think it's L1 or R1 and move the analog stick/dpad.

Also you can always return to levels so don't worry about missing out on anything.

I'm a bit iffy about the second one. I want to like it but I felt that instead of having lots of levels, they had very large levels overall and it made it seem like an hour or more could be taken on one level. I'd recommend an emulator so you cna use save states or something you can pause and come back to for the second one.

hey, God works through us pal. Sorry that you had a bad experience with it before, but just try to keep God in your heart and listen when you get a feeling or a vibe to do something. Church is important, but your own relationship with God is what's the most important. Church is supposed to strengthen this, but I know some people don't have good experiences with churches. To that I say just experiment around with different places, and if anything, just trust God. I'll say a prayer for you. All things happen for a reason, so just consider that when you think about the chances of rubbing into this conversation on Sup Forums of all places. Again, have a great day buddy and you seriously do need to play MediEvil. It's like $7 on PS3 PSN

*running

lol

>and listen when you get a feeling or a vibe to do something
Most of my "feelings and vibes" tell me to murder people that bother me or forcefully try to fuck women that I am attracted to.

can the guys who believe in some santa dude in the clouds please fuck off to a normie website

It's pretty much the perfect video game, IGN was probably in full-on clickbait mode or something.

The wonky jumping and camera only become a problem in the pirate ship level.

?

>Doorways lead to exits with no signs, so you don't know if you're going to another section, back to the overview map or what - it can feel confusing and a little disjointed.
The exits that lead to the overworld map have bright green particles flying around and a loud buzzing noise playing around it.

I think they played Medievil 2 and got the games confused.

I was afraid that might be the case, but I played it for the first time in a long time recently and still had a blast. Any time you have to do precarious jumping can be risky, but that doesn't happen often.

I actually like The Lake, even if it is stressful.

At least Dan got into PSABR, r-right?

Church is for bumlords thirsty for cheeks

>it's aged like absolute garbage though
>this meme again

Quit being such a fucking faggot and just learn to enjoy an older game for what it is. The game is perfectly fine and was amazing. One of the best PS1 games.

>the lake
>enemies fall down and glitch out
>have to replay the level to get the chalice
Also why is there a cyan elephant swimming in the water?

Beat it for the first time last October, rented it as a kid but only got halfway through it. Honestly, it's a pretty great game that holds up super well. The music and voice acting are all solid, and the writings not too terrible really.

The combat is a bit awkward, but you can hold block and attack during the block to minimize your vulnerability, which helps a ton. The platforming is also pretty shit, but there's only one stage near the end that forces you to platform, and it's fairly short. The final boss fight is also a bit awkward, and it has this weird "keep your army healed" phase that seems out of place, but it's not too hard.

Definitely recommendable games though.

How stupid can IGN be when I was fucking 7 when I fucking 100% it?
Medievil (The PSX one) is seriously one of the most enjoyable games of it's generation

>Also why is there a cyan elephant swimming in the water

Because A E S T H E T I C

but seriously i loved watching that elephant swim in that underwater tunnel

What would you like to see in the hypothetical remake of Medievil?

fun that was in original

Lootboxes and crafting.

Jokes aside I'd love to see the Chalice/Hall of Heroes a bit expanded and improved.

It should really have an obvious exit this time though. I don't want to have to spend an hour trying to figure out how to leave.

,,,are toy being serious

No, I was making fun of IGN.

Ah, sorry, I don't eat shit

I couldn't help but check it out since OP just had it lying around.

Don't forcefully try to fuck. Try to forcefully fuck.

I'm conflicted Sup Forums

I want to work on my backlog, but I kinda want to replay Medieval and possibly play the sequel.

They're not that long, so go ahead, take a nostalgic break.

You'll be replaying the lake level to pull the chalice since it seems to be rng as to whether or not you end up fighting enough enemies or simply put the enemies don't trigger.

The lake is also pretty annoying.

Really? I've never had a problem with getting enough souls. If you kill the eyes that summon enemies before they summon you'll fall short, but that's the only way I know of to not get enough.

>If you kill the eyes that summon enemies before they summon you'll fall short, but that's the only way I know of to not get enough.

Maybe that's the problem but like said, enemies also glitch out. Replaying that level was irritating to say the least since you can easily fall in the water and die.

Would someone mind explaining why Resurrection was inferior please? I only played the ps1 games.

medievil 1 > medievil 2
yes I am the same person that keeps posting this in every medievil thread I see

Man, the gameworld map is so cool in this game. I love how you can see specific parts of the levels on it.

They removed like ~7 classic levels and added a bunch of stupid minigames where you go around whacking rats or something.

Also it has weird Pixar humor in it.

But 2bh I remember the gameplay feeling a tad better and the enemies can actually kill you in that game.

Open-world Medievil MMO make it happen, Gallowmere has endless potential in it. Kickstart that shit, your move Sony.

I mean you're not wrong.

>that design

Fucking amazing concept for a boss.