Why is it that Lego games are capable of getting so close to the source material, and other licensed games just don't?

Why is it that Lego games are capable of getting so close to the source material, and other licensed games just don't?

Because modeling lego is baby-tier 3D work.

>Lego games are capable of getting so close to the source material
I don't even remember a Lego game where I could just build whatever

most licensed games nowadays are just an uninspired cash grab

>doesn't remember Lego Creator
Underaged?

The games are able to focus more on scenario than having the shiniest graphics by nature of the style they're working with.

What are the primary lego games worth playing?

>open worlds
>interesting crafting / trading

Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga is by far the best Lego tie-in

I'm still amazed that it took them so long to cash in on the minecraft craze and even when they did it was fucking shit.

does it have the kitchen scene?

Lego Island
Lego Racers
Rock Raiders
Alpha Team

Once you've played one or two TT games, you've played them all

This.
I was always saying since I was a little kid 'why isn't there just a game where I'm in a world with some rules but mostly dicking around with lego?' It seemed so obvious to me. Used to 'pretend' to do it in programs like MSPaint and Kid Pix
It's the game everyone knew needed to be made, it was just a matter of someone finally getting around to doing it. Minecraft beat them to the punch and they had decades to do it. That's gotta feel bad.
In the meantime Lego saw more money in cross-franchise games like Batman and Harry Potter that had nothing to fucking do with Lego outside of jokes.

Boy do I have some news for you.

Not OP, but yes, it has pretty much all the iconic scenes.

Step aside for the superior game that's been out longer.

this game is awful tho

>Rock Raiders
YOURE MORE THAN HALFWAY THERE

Cause it's the same base game every time and I have 1000gs in like 20 of them...so don't try to argue that I'm wrong.

>dead game
>shit community
>whiny dev who gets triggered by his own fetish art being posted/mocked on his forum

> hear about blockland
> not on steam, but greenlight has it
> voted, and approved for steam release
> fucking dead

I wish the creator actually gave a fuck

how is lego city

>how is lego city
everyone is a little

stiff

all the houses are a little

blocky

other than that its a nice place to live

Why the fuck is the new Star Wars Force awaken lego game so shit compared to the older star wars lego games? they were so fucking good

>Why is it that Lego games are capable of getting so close to the source material
Do they really tho

game can only be as good as its source

>Rock motherfucking Raiders
SO MANY VAGUE MEMORIES

was looking into it but it was filled with turret sections and looked like shit.

>SO MANY VAGUE MEMORIES
i have less than i should; my parents computer was too fucking weak to play it without major stuttering, which meant the pc took a shit on itself constantly

tell you what tho, im gonna fucking download that shit rn and see what i missed out on

>start playing the Ratchet and Clank games a few days ago for the first time
>realize how similar they are to the Lego games
It's a shame they never really did anything to evolve their games since the first fucking one apart from adding a shitty open world.

Yeah, pretty much. Lego LOTR was great. Lego The Hobbit was shit.

>Lego The Hobbit
fuck me i had no idea there was even one

What about the part from the book where Dr. Grant goes on a fucking rampage and kills a rapotr egg, rolls it towards them and kills three more raptors?
I was bummed that never got included in the movie

Lego's pretty easy to make look like lego, especially with today's shading techniques. Shiny flat colored objects are the absolute easiest things to represent.

It's especially easy since you only need to model blocks, the little cylindrical bits that connect lego together can be created automatically by a geometry shader which also lends itself to automatic LOD via shader rather than making multiple brick models. You don't even need to bake highpolies since rectangular prisms can easily have lightly chamfered corners expressed via shader rather than a normal map due to their simplicity.

Character faces are even easier as they're not animated in the traditional manner that would be subject to quality loss due to lower polygon counts in a game versus real life or film, they're just flat textures on a cylinder which is fairly simple to work with.