We thank Donald Mattrick for killing the Xbox brand

We thank Donald Mattrick for killing the Xbox brand
based Don Mattrick
mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-x-stock-a-fraction-of-original-xbox-one-say-some-retailers/0187783

I don't mind if Xbox dies. I want less consoles in general and having Microsoft focus more on PC is better.

The third console curse is a bitch. Microsoft thought they could get around it by calling the system "Xbox One" but it's still Xbox #3. Arguably, it was the biggest botch job since the Sega Saturn.

I have a PS4 Pro and also a 70" 4K TV with HDR, blah blah.

I can easily say that for the games that actually do real 4K versus 1440p or 2160c (checkerboarding upscale), there's little reason to want a console or a PC that actually does 4K. 1080p still looks really good, and even just a little above that sharpens things up enough that 4K doesn't feel especially nice.

In fact, there are a lot of games on PS4 that give me choice of either going for a faster frame rate or going for a higher resolution, and I can tell you that every time, I pick the framerate. It always looks better when it runs smoother.

Even my girlfriend, who can't tell the difference between 30 fps or 60 fps, or when she's seeing which, will always pick the faster framerate option, because she says, "It looks better."

Whatever they do for these next consoles, they need to seriously beef up the CPU, and scale things so that the games can run at 60 fps, because it honestly looks better than all these bullshit effects and resolution jumps.

And the Xbox One X's supreme focus on hitting real 4K is so completely unimportant against that, since their standard is to just do downampling options for 1080p rather than offer faster framerates. Such a bad decision.

If I could still pre-order Scorpio, I think I would. But I'm not buying some fucking generic Xbox One X now. Maybe I'll get the white version in a year.

The last time that happened, it wasn't such a great idea. As bullshit as this is going to sound, the best hope for the Xbox One is going to be trying to shack up with Valve and make it the Steam Machine that they never could.

They are trying the "artificial shortages " that Nintendo pulls all the time. It sells out in every store because they got only 3 consoles. Then they can post and write about how it's in such high demand that it won't stay on shelves.

Your tinfoil hat is on a bit tight there, bucko.

The damage Xbox has done to the industry can never be undone.

Games For Windows Live was an abject failure and Microsoft was humiliated.

It absolutely was a great idea.

>I want more steam garbage

>wanting a monopoly

>my girlfriend
You just had to include that eh redditor?
Go back >>>/reddit/

a pro version was unnecessary, microsoft should make scorpio the next gen console, the console already has back compatibility so the backslash would be minimum

Your image ain't wrong, I'm a PS4 owner and I'm goddamn mad that PS+ is a thing. I'm goddamn mad that normalfags are the target audience of games now and I'm goddamn mad that garbage western developers are the most relevant. I'm upset at Sony for doing it, but fucking pissed at Microsoft for starting it.

Two of those would have happened anyway thanks to Steam. Which is technically Microsoft's fault as well, but still.

>less stock of Xbox One X than OG Xbox One

Of course you retards, this is a niche product for 4K TV owners.

>xbox dying
lol nice joke

LMAO
How will xtards ever recover?????

>MS
>Steam
Are yoy fucking retarded?

MS won't ever focus on PC, they dumped that market with their awful turn into W10. If the xbone dies, MS will probably leave consumer computing. They don't care if pee cee gaymers and gabe get fucked by things like broken or unsupported graphics drivers. If MS cannot make money from it, they will cut it off.

That's just the situation Microsoft is in now, for better or worse.

It's not even out yet, are you from the future perhaps? Sound crazy.

We just need to renew our xbox live subscriptions and buy multiple consoles?

A monopoly of who?

>Xbox One X

Who the fuck comes up with this shit. What's next, Xbox One X One? And then Xbox One X Box X One?

No, the Xbone clearly eclipses it in both size and scale. Bundling the Kinect with every console fucked it from the start when there was absolutely no justification to do that. And then Mattrick actually went on TV and told people to stick with the 360, a move so enormously stupid I don't think there is any precedent for it in videogaming in general. Microsoft's vision for building the "one" entertainment system utterly blew up in their face, resulting in a games console that can't do AAA as well as the PS4, doesn't have the niche games Steam has, nor does it have the variety phone games have. It's just this hot mess people are expected to keep plugged into their TVs and paying for multiplayer.

Especially that latter point, people are slowly starting to rethink that now thanks to data caps. Why the hell would anyone want to pay for multiplayer when they're paying for the bandwidth too? Phone games offer similar mulitplayer enjoyment at a tenth of the cost.

I seem to remember they forced certain keys to be used only for GFW Live that could not be remapped. Trying to work against Valve/Steam when it was at the top of its game was a bad idea too.

This. If only we could trade ms for sega as a console manufacturer.

Microsoft came up with it, that's who. They've been on the slide since Gates left, because the newer managers are airheaded and don't know or want to create a quality product. They're content with making products that conform to internal standards and checklists, not the real world outside their offices. So of course their naming conventions would be stupid, "One X" is like "One S" and rips off Apple. It probably gets maximum points inside their internal focus testing so they went with it even though it's stupid to everyone on the real world.

Design-by-committee crap really does strangle the life out of companies.

>sega
dead company that would crash if their console don't sell great.

You're delusional if you think that any other company would make a console in the years of phone gaming.

so they are pulling a Nintendo?

> They've been on the slide since Gates left
They do? Then when is it growing up?

> "One X" is like "One S" and rips off Apple
So that's why apple ripped of Kinect and the X for their new iphone? And the fact that they made the Ipad pro to be like Surface?

didn't thought Sup Forums would be as delusional as Apple faggot in Sup Forums

>completely sell out on amazon in one day
>still be ahead of ps4pro yearly sales

Get out of the way nigga

Dunno, but the Xbox One X has actual tech inside, can't say the same for the Switch.

They really didnt think of consumers with the name. At least with the Nintendo Switch its a stupid name but you know its a new console. They should have went with the Scorpio name since I bet people will confuse the S with the X, since theres a fucking AssCreed 0 bundle for slim models.

Phone gaming doesn't have loyal customers.

Sony and Nintendo each fulfil a specific niche as far as home consoles go, and Microsoft failed to get a grip on either of them with the Bone.

So the high-end expensive console is getting stocked at lower numbers than the launch units. Am I wrong in thinking that makes total sense? Most people looking to buy an Xbone aren't going to buy an X, they're going to buy an S. It makes more sense to only stock a few of the X and a bunch of the S.

True, Sega Saturn was at least popular in Japan. Xbox One is popular no-where.

ps4 is better you fag
xbox is shit

Revenues are up, but overall marketshare is down. A majority of personal computing devices are Google Andriod and not Microsoft phones. How can we explain this difference? Easy, Ballmer gutted their consumer computing divisions and pumped it all into their enterprise services. Maximum profit, although their consumer devices have been largely eclipsed by Google (in mobile) and Sony (in console gaming). Their last leg is PC gaming, but this can drop too if Nividia and AMD decide to better support linux systems.

Selling out on Amazon isn't hard (see Nintendo) and overall Sony has more people in their ecosystem (re: paying Sony a monthly MP access fee) than MS.

>plays 3 generations of games on 1 console
>best version of console multiplats
>4k bluray
>crossplay with PC
>best controller
>it's fucking TINY and silent

It fills the quality niche.

That just shows that more people are using them, not that they're getting better. Most of it is corporate contracts and companies have no choice but to buy Windows Server, SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint etc. Nobody bothers dabbling in linux anymore, it's been relegated to a mobile OS and the engine behind VMware that you never get to see because everything's done through GUI and it's supported by VMware, not you.

That doesn't mean shit if it doesn't have heavyweight 1st and 3rd parties.

OK. Curious to know the state of consoles in 5 years

You're so delusional
>>Sup Forums62825575

I can't handle you retardness so it's better i leave this shit thread

Google? Ad company
Apple? Iphone company
MS? Xbox, PC, Server, etc

90% of games are multiplats. And if you're not a nerdy weeb that figure is 95%.

Casuals are the mass market, and they just wanna play blockbuster games.

i bet that dude got a matburn something fierce

MS will ditch the Xbox and turn the currently useless Xbox App on W10 into its own version of Steam. You heard it here first.

And most of the interesting blockbusters aren't on the Xbox One, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

>Calling out obvious and previously used business tactics is now paranoia.
Your retard hat is on a bit tight there, kiddo.

What are you talking about kiddo?

>ditch one of their most profitable divisions.

Stick to jerking off to cartoons Sup Forums

I never understood why the Wii U was deemed such a massive failure by the gaming press, but no one EVER talked about how Microsoft sold maybe 10 million more units than it.

Sure the Wii was a monster out the gate, but by the end of the 7th gen, 360 came close to 100m sold as well.

Nigga you're just proving my point.

It won't ditch Xbox. Are you retarded?

>Sup Forums still making shit up after Xbox has been put on Microsoft's leadership table
It's time to stop, you were wrong in the past, you're wrong now, and you will always be wrong, et it through your thick skull, Xbox is making Microsoft a profit now and Xbox isn't ever dying. The only company dropping out of the game industry in the near future is Sony, you annoying roach.

It's the exact opposite. Mostly Multiplatforms on the top.

It's funny because Microsoft is the only healthy company in gaming. It could literally buy-out Sony and Nintendo and not even flinch.

Don't forget gaming being put on their leadership table meaning that Xbox is as high a priority now as Windows. Sup Forums's a joke.

>PC gaming revenue

Most of that is probably trading card/lootbox/etc shit inside Steam, which is not a Microsoft product and one which MS sees no profit from especially when those games can be run off cafe PCs.

Meanwhile, see all those phone revenues? Google and Apple take a cut of all sales directly. They're the ones making money from their services, not Microsoft. You've posted proof of their total incompetence.

There seems to be a lot of these testy, lashing-out kind of threads recently. It's almost as if Xbox was about to drop a new piece of beefy hardware or something.

>It's funny because Microsoft is the only healthy company in gaming.
>Nintendo is at a 9 year high right now
Nigga, just because MS is obviously worth more, the idea that Nintendo isn't healthy is retarded. Not to mention they turned down MS' buyout during the end of the N64 era already.

There's literally no reason to buy one. The PS4 at least has some exclusives. Even Horizon was popular.

There hasn't been shit for Xbox. Even their E3 was a bunch of multiplats.

They knew no one was going to buy the XboneX, they only made it to say they had the most powerful console GPU available.

Then why don't they? MS has done it before and was part of their standard operating procedure for the longest time. They don't do it because they don't have the cash flow to fund such a venture. Another issue at work here: MS's one Trillion valuation comes largely from their enterprise services, not their consumer products which have thin profit margins. That is why they are slowly moving from that space, and why they keep making inferior products despite having the ability to build a better product.

which is to say, you're bullshitting

Looks like it, smart move.

Sleek as fuck

>babby cant into business
Do you know what business divisions are?
here's a tip, every other division at microsoft wants xbox gone because xbox has never made a profit and its mere existence drags down their return to investors

What microsoft needs to do is make one console sized full X86 Windows PC packed with a Raven Ridge APU, and sell that instead of a close console at this point. Then target their games for that GPU to hit 1080p 60fps on the high settings minimum.

>making a profit
>puts the Xbox head on the leadership table thus now making Xbox a huge part of Microsoft now instead of some small side project within Microsoft
>ditching the Xbox
Sonyroaches are getting more delusional by the day.

But that's wrong, Nintendo is doing well.

>xXxBOXxXx

they actually named a console close enough to those scrub tier halo2 gamertags that i feel some semblance of pity

It's sold out everywhere except at bestbuy, where it's been #1 or #2 in pre-orders ever since it went up. The only thing beating it right now is Mario odyssey. That doesn't even take into account the split between the two editions.

Damn, this will be the next Switch.

>Nintendo has a wiggle gimmick
>Sony and Microsoft want that success

>Nintendo is artificially undersupplying retailers
>Microsoft want that success

Okay, so when will Sony do this?

cant artifically supply something that you dont have

personally I've tried microsoft's windows 10 gaming-stuff..

have to say I hate Xbox live, something about it just gives me the fucking creeps, perhaps it's the username/usertag thing which I don't really understand and which seems inferior to Valve's easily changed usertag.

Perhaps it's the interface, and the 3d-avatar.

Perhaps it's the lack of the additional stuff Steam has (mostly mods, and forums/community discussions).

There's just something "off" about it.

I hope Microsoft, EA, and others learn from Valve's successes and try to make something that is actually competitive with Steam, given both EA and Microsoft's track record when it comes to things like Modding and shit I doubt that will be the case any time soon.

I just don't want to have PC gaming require a premium fee on top of the game-price in order to play online.

You what, mate?

>Nintendo is artificially undersupplying retailers
>Microsoft want that success
Hey, if it works, it works.

>if pee cee gaymers and gabe
you mean the same gabe fucking over the pee cee gaymers with a monopolized storefront that's now pivoting into also selling movies and other garbage?
the same gabe wasting so much money on vr gabe?
it just strikes me as odd you included him when only pee cee gaymers are getting fucked, gabe is laughing his obese ass off at pee cee gaymers funding his obesity while praising him

how can you artificially limit games when sony has no games to short?

>XboneX Scorpio Edition sold out!
Now we know why.

None of the consoles have games. It's about limiting consoles.

Are they trying to imitate the Switch launch by purposefully limiting the stock or something?

See

They just killed off the phone branch as well, stockholders are finally getting their say and telling microsoft to knock it off with the stupid shit.

>Windows Phone gets rekted by Android and iOS
>Valve forces their hand with SteamOS and Windows Store becomes a failure
>Valve, Facebook, Sony and Google are outpacing them in VR
>OBS and Magic Leap are outpacing them in AR
>Google and Amazon stole the cloud computing market from them
>More businesses are deploying Linux based servers

Please God let someone deliver the final blow and kill Windows 10 for good

>Google and Amazon stole the cloud computing market from them
Azure and cloud services the second most profitable service they have hurr durr

You forgot to tells us how google docs also stole their Office revenue despite it being the most profiitable product

The Xbox was the worst thing to happen to gaming anyway. Good fucking riddance when it finally dies.

No it isn't, a company that keeps fucking up like Microsoft does terrible things to whatever they are focusing on.

>WE SOLD OUT GUYS, LOOK AT HOW WELL WE'RE SELLING
>Oh yea, and we only shipped 2000 units to Amazon, but WE SOLD OUT!
Called it.

The whole valve team worked their assess off to make a new OS that didn't rely on MS after w10

They slapped a skin on fucking ubuntu, they didn't do shit and aren't doing anything to push adoption of their OS because valve is lazy

Wow they sold out their stock that was smaller than a quarter of the original xbone.