Does historical accuracy really matter in video games? Why? Why not?

Does historical accuracy really matter in video games? Why? Why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HHgxOXEQaFU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It depends on intent.
If the game is supposed to be some fantasy shit where you just traveled back in time, then there's little reason to not be accurate.
But if it's some alternate reality, or "what if" situation, then accuracy obviously doesn't matter.
Usually, they're just lazy and half-ass shit, so it's not that they aren't trying to be accurate or a "what if" situation, they just didn't bother giving a shit.

Only in games that are trying to pass themselves off as historically accurate.

only if it conflicts with my political views

If it's meant to depict some sort of historic events, then definitely. If not, then it should still be at least plausible within the setting

Depend on the game, but somewhat
I need some suspension of disbelief
All the WE WUZ KANGZ bullshit over the years with generic sub-saharan west africans people is cancer

In video GAMES the only thing that matters is the GAMEPLAY

Depends on how much the game takes itself serious, then you can balance history accuracy with that without making the game look stupid.

I can only find 3 pastel horses.

Depends.
Are you making a period piece?
Then yes.
Otherwise, no.

I think they should at least make the clothing accurate for the era. Too many do the equivalent of brown and bloom, because they're afraid of bright colours, or something. It's generic and shows up in every fucking depicted time period too, so there's really no excuse at this point.

both are kinda right.

If the time period is "during this time" or "during this war", then there is a good bit of room for shit that never happened.

But if they say "specifically at this battle in this war" or "This exact event in time" then historical accuracy is expected. Why specify the battle if you're not going to follow the rules of it?

if you're using a historical era as a setting and/or a historical figure as your main character then yes, otherwise it is revisionism and/or slander.

only if you try to pretend that it is

If the setting in the game is supposed to be historical. It doesn't matter in a high fantasy game like Total Warhammer for example.

Depends. If you are trying to be historically accurate, and state your intent to be, then accuracy is obviously important. If it's an alternate reality or something, then there's obviously a lot of wiggle room.

The major problem comes with games that are more or less historically accurate in most respects, but then go and throw a bunch of black vikings into a northern European setting or something. It then becomes obvious that the developers could not have made this sort of mistake it was consciously done to push some kind of agenda.

>he doesn't know Leif Erikson was black
Stop whitewashing history

History is mostly lies from the powers that be. American companies sponsored Hitler's rise to power... Oh and he was never killed but lived out the rest of his days in Argentina. See, the real truth doesn't matter so, no... I don't think it does. People still think 9/11 was a bunch of 3rd world caveman beating the North American Aerospace Defense Command at a game of cat and mouse. Everything's lies.

Depends if you want to make a historically accurate game or not.

>When you want to make a post, but also don't want to take any sort of actual stance on an issue.

youtube.com/watch?v=HHgxOXEQaFU