Well, now that Odyssey is confirmed to be a solid 9/10...

Well, now that Odyssey is confirmed to be a solid 9/10, we can rest assured that this bad boy is still the best Mario game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rWgvPSkgMzY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yoshi is cool, but I don't like how the cape trivializes non-castle levels. I couldn't finish it.

In what way does the cape trivialize a level like, say valley of bowser 4?

Did you even try to get further than the second castle?

Yes.

Best 2D mario.

Arguably best Mario game.

>2D
SMW>SMB3>SMB1>SMB2>SMBLL

>3D
64>SMG1=SMG2>SM3DW>SMS

I've played every Mario game but don't really see the appeal. You jump over stuff until the end of the level. Always been boring.

That's not a picture of Super Mario 64.

>jump over stuff
>not juggling with stuff
Do you even smw?
youtube.com/watch?v=rWgvPSkgMzY

>fly over every level with the cape
>best game

read:

But SMW was a 9/10 too

The GBA version is. Original SNES is a clear 10/10, always was.

Recommend me some good challenging Super Mario World Modded Roms or else.

>Best Mario game
>Posts a picture of Super Mario World instead of a picture of the best Mario game
Don't worry OP, I'm willing to correct your error. No need to thank me.

Well can't argue with that, it's tied with SMW for best Mario game, I just think World offers more gameplay variety.

>it's tied with SMW for best Mario game
No, 3 is flat-out better. I'd even go so far as saying that World is the weakest retro 2D Mario.

You're wrong honey.

World is a mess from a game design standpoint. SMB1-3, 2J, Land, and Land 2 are all more tightly-designed.

Any argument to support this claim?
It isn't really all that different from 3 from a design standpoint.
3 and World share more elements in common than SMB1.

The cape and Yoshi are the only arguments I need, but there are more reasons. The cape allows endless flight with impunity. Get hit while flying and you don't even lose your cape, you just lose your flight. Most of the levels in the game don't even attempt to balance the cape by preventing you from flying aside from Tubular and the aforementioned Valley of Bowser 4. The leaf in 3 allowed you to fly, but your flight was limited to a certain amount of time before you had to go right back down to the ground. 3's levels also took notice of the flight ability and would frequently not provide you with enough room to build up enough speed in order to fly. The P-Wing allowed perpetual flight, but it was balanced out by being single-use and losing in a stage meant it could not be reacquired. The cape is essentially a P-Wing without those provisions, it is broken.

Yoshi trivializes platforming. He is a penalty-free hit that you can jump right back on and he allows you to jump on enemies you're normally not able to. The spin jump also grants you that ability. What's the challenge of a platformer if obstacles are not, well, obstacles? You can also jump off of Yoshi if you manage to somehow start heading toward a pit, so why have pits when you can easily neutralize their threat through jumping off Yoshi or flying? Yoshi is broken for all of those reasons as well as the powers granted by the colored Yoshis and shells. The blue Yoshi in particular is absurdly overpowered.

Aside from those two, there's also the fact that the item box at the top of the screen removes the penalty for getting hit, since all you have to do is wait for the power-up to float down from it. Being able to replay levels allows you to easily cheese the game for power-ups and lives.

The developers of the game have admitted that it was rushed for the launch of the Super Famicom, and all of the above listed are results of that. The game is just poorly thought-out.

You. I like you. Except it should go like this:
>3D
64 > SMG1/2 > SMS > 3DW >3DL

But it’s fun.

the point of World is exploration.
if you just fly and skip the levels you will also skip all the secrets.
the forest, star and special worlds have exploration as their main feature, therefore, you are forced to quit flying like a pussy fuck idiot and actually explore.

boom.