ITT: Post your top 10 games of the year

ITT: Post your top 10 games of the year

Note: I have not played Mario Odyssey yet as I don't own a Switch, I'm sure it would probably replace Sonic Mania but who knows I could hate it.

Honourable mention goes to FF XII TZA, but since it's a remaster I omitted it.

If I had a top 11 I would've added Resi 7, but I don't think it had much staying power.

XCOM 2: WOTC
Mario Odyssey
BotW
Hollow knight
Cuphead
Middle Earth: SoW
A Hat in Time
Nier Automata
Thimbleweed Park
Rain World

Scrapping the bottom of the barrel here though of games I have played this year.
The only thing I've played this year which isn't on this list is Wolfenstein 2 and thats sort of interchangeable with Thimbleweed or Nier

Does Evil Within 2 get less modern AAA mediocre later on?
Castellanos is a totally different person and never shuts up and it feels like I'm railroaded to spooky moments rather than having the atmosphere creep me out.

Am I missing something by not playing multiplayer with Nioh?

Everything I've seen from Elex looks terrible and I can't tell if this is just a Sup Forums meme

Evil within 2 is shit and the story is a shitstrain that haunts every public restroom.
Thus, it is shit.

>Does Evil Within 2 get less modern AAA mediocre later on?
Not really, but when I played it I was in need of a palette cleanser. The survival horror elements were enough for me and I was invested in the story. It does enough things different with the set-pieces and more open elements that are different from AAA.

>Am I missing something by not playing multiplayer with Nioh?
No, not really. I barely touched it, it's just co-op.

>Everything I've seen from Elex looks terrible and I can't tell if this is just a Sup Forums meme
It is a meme to some extent, there are elements that are just not good no matter how you twist it. The AI in particular is shockingly bad. However, if you like PG then you'll like this. The world is very dense and the premise is actually pretty interesting if you like speculative sci-fi. The exploration is also the best I've seen in a while, and a game like Breath of the Wild could learn a lot from it.

I haven't played close to 10 unique games this year

I went through a phase like this too, where i only played old games. You'll get through it mate.

Mario Odyssey
Zelda BotW
Horizon Zero Dawn
PREY
Death of the Outsider (Dishonored 2 DLC)
Hollow Knight
Gravity Rush 2
RE7
The Evil Within 2
Don't have many ideas for the last one. It will probably be Xenoblade 2 or Nioh (I was waiting for the PC release).

Also I might be one of the few people who really hated Persona 5 and Nier Automata. Not my cup of tea I guess.

How is the combat system in Elex? Is there any depth to it?

Tales of Berseria
Resident Evil 7
Prey
The Sexy Brutale
Hollow Knight
Breath of the Wild
Danganronpa v3
A Hat in Time
South Park Fractured But Whole
Sonic Mania

Special mention to some good ports and remakes like Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition and Bayonetta.

I plan to play Nioh and Nier and one of those will likely knock something of the list.

Nier is a boring slog disguised as waifu-bait. Its gameplay sucks ass and it takes 30 hours for it to get gud and then it still disappoints. Don't bother.

Why though? I've played nearly 30 and still have a couple to check out.

My top 10 so far:

1. Divinity: Original Sin II
2. Prey
3. What Remains of Edith Finch
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5. Super Mario Odyssey
6. Cuphead
7. Resident Evil 7
8. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
9. Persona 5
10. Hollow Knight

Nier is some good shit. Fluid gameplay combined with a good story and great music.

I don't own a Switch either due to lack of funds so if I did, I think Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 be on my list at the very least. In any case, in no particular order.

Persona 5
Sonic Mania
Danganronpa V3
Yakuza 0
Nier Automata
Resident Evil 7
Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy
Evil Within 2
South Park Fractured But Whole
Gravity Rush 2

See, this is why I plan to play it and see for myself.

>Gravity Rush 2
OP here, playing through it at the moment and I'm just not feeling it. Cool gimmick and world but it hasn't kicked up that extra gear for me yet so I'm fully invested, the mechanics haven't really justified themselves if that makes sense. Does it get better? I'm about 6 hours in.

>I've played nearly 30 and still have a couple to check out.
Post top 25 games of the year.

I'm also not a fan of Nier (though for a little different reasons that you seem to be), but there is no reason why he shouldn't try it, most people seem to like it.

I havent played 10 new games this year that I really liked, and I'm not willing to include merely okay games like X-Com 2, Mario + Rabbids, Fire Emblem Echoes, or Cuphead.

My list would be:
Mario Odyssey
NieR: Automata
Ni-oh
Breath of the Wild
Divinity Original Sin 2
Sonic Mania
Metroid: Samus Returns

Yet to play a few other games I'm keen on. Mainly Persona 5, Hollow Knight, Rainworld, Elex and Hat in Time

Nier Automata
Cuphead
Persona 5 (personal GOTY)
Other games I played this year are either shit or old
Have yet to try XCOM 2 WOTC, Nioh, A Hat in Time, EOV and TEW2

It's pretty clunky honestly, but its the type of jank you'd expect. I'm not excusing it, but it's just not what you play these types of games for, it's a means to an end. Similar to how combat in The Witcher has always been rather mediocre.

can someone explain dangandopa to me?

is insane how much /v loves this fucking games

Do you enjoy over the top murder mysteries? Then you'll like it. That's all there is, waifus, fun characters, wild ride murders and mysteries.

Why not play it for yourself and find out?

>All this praise for Nier Autismo
OK, so I know when making a lazy, mediocre to downright shit game all I have to do is stick in ass to bait weebfags.

Nice argument

I don't put games below 7/10 on the list and don't compare and analyze them the way I do with 7-10/10 games (autism, I know), so I can't do that.

There are 16 games that I've rated 7 or above this year:

1. Divinity: Original Sin II
2. Prey
3. What Remains of Edith Finch
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5. Super Mario Odyssey
6. Cuphead
7. Resident Evil 7
8. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
9. Persona 5
10. Hollow Knight
11. Little Nightmares
12. Thimbleweed Park
13. Sonic Mania
14. The Evil Within 2
15. Pyre
16. Hitman: The Complete First Season

The games I've rated 6/10, and so are close to making it to the list:
NiOh
Nier: Automata
Yakuza 0
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Metroid: Samus Returns

I also really liked the new Dishonored, but consider it to be a part of Dishonored 2.

>Simplistic, boring combat
>Dull environments
>Repetitive enemies
>Pseudo-intellectual story for fags who've never picked up an actual book in their lives
>Need to grind 30 hours to get the full story
Yeah, it's actually shit.

>A walking sim is his 3rd best game of the year

Please go back

Persona 5
Danganronpa V3
Nier Automata
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Mario Odyssey
Tekken 7
Cuphead
Botw
Hollow Knight

Pretty good year

It's obviously not for everyone, just like Hellblade, but I enjoy some games that focus purely on the story / narration, like What Remains of Edith Finch and The Stanley Parable, and I see nothing wrong with that.

They're not games.

>Nier is a boring slog disguised as waifu-bait

thanks for confirming you haven't played it. You play as elite hacker shota way more than toobs.

Sonic Mania
Mario Odyssey
Crash N Sane Trilogy
Cuphead
BoTW
Persona 5
Snake Pass
Shovel Knight Specter of Torment
Mario + Rabbids
Splatoon 2

Haven't beat Metroid, Nier, Yakuza Kiwami, or Gravity Rush 2 yet so some of those might make it when I get to them.

1. Prey
2. Hitman™
3. Cuphead
4. Divinity Original Sins 2
5. Zelda
6. Total War Warhammer II
7. Hollow Knight
8. Yakuza 0
9. Pyre
10. Yakuza Kiwami

>No actual arguments except for "hurr you haven't played it"
>Implying weebs aren't bisexual twink fuccbois going by all the degenerate gay shit that's been posted here over the last few months
Every tiem.

I think of them as a kind of experimental games (like, for example, Un Chien Andalou in cinema) and judge them on their own merits. We can argue about semantics but it doesn't change the fact that there is no certain answer for "are "walking sims" video games" question.

Suikoden I
Suikoden II
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Drakengard 1
Drakengard 3
Nier 1
Nier 2
Xenogears
Xenosaga

>no Yakuza Zero

Sonic Mania
Mario Odyssey
Persona 5
Gravity Rush 2
Fast RMX
Cuphead
Nier Automata
Night in the Woods
Fractured But Whole
Peach Beach Splash

honorable mention to Yakuza 0 since it just kinda got stuck in the backlog

And for what it's worth the best game I played for the first time this year that wasn't a new release is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

hurff durff

no particular order except number 1. Xenoblade can change things.

1) Mario Odyssey
2) Persona 5
3) Hollow Knight
4) Cuphead
5) Breath Of The Wild
6) Sonic Mania
7) Gravity Rush 2
8) Nier Automata
9) Crash N-Sane Trilogy
10) Yakuza 0

Other shit I liked just not as much

11) Monster Hunter Stories
12) Overcooked
13) Golf Story
14) Nioh
15) Metroid Samus Returns
16) Etrian Odyssey V
17) Prey
18) Resident Evil 7
19) Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia(waffled between this and Yakuza)
20) Splatoon 2

still haven't played things like Evil Within 2, Nioh, Mario Rabbids, Fractured But Whole, Dang It Ron Paul 3 (yeah fuck the ending ruined it for me)or anything xbone exclusive except Cuphead because pc. Besteria bored me after a while, Horizon was whatever, ARMS was okay at best, MVCI PBBBBBTHHHAAAHAHAHA, I don't count DLC add ons, and the hipster pick Divinity is just a game I never got into.

Super Mario Odyssey
Persona 5
Nier Automata
BotW
Metroid SR
RE7
The Evil Within 2
Yakuza 0
FE Echoes
Prey

Haven't played Nioh, A Hat in Time, Gravity Rush 2, or Sonic Mania

Is Divinity OS 2 worth playing if you really hated the style of the first?

Every time I play the first it feels like I'm constantly doing the opposite of what the game wants me to do and when that happens that cheery Fable atmosphere just makes me drop it.

You haven't played it though.

Didn't really care for it honestly. It's novel but I'm not really into KURAYZEE games.

Prove him wrong faggots. Just the fact you got triggered enough to reply confirms he's right.

Hey OP. I love your taste. I've played everything but Nier (quit after 2B's ending) and The Evil Within. Do you really recommend these?

>samefagging this hard

>pretending to be a different user

why bother taking the bait anyway? any conpliments towards it's story, OST, or gameplay is just going to be countered with HURR YOU ONLY LIKE IT BECAUSE WAIFUSHIT!

>all these anons saying Evil Within 2

the fuck happened? I thought the first one was a disorginized overhyped shitshow.

Tell me user what didn't you like about the ending of dang it ron paul

The "cheery Fable atmosphere" is toned down in the second game, but it's not gone. It's still fantasy cRPG that doesn't take itself too seriously, with a lot of pythonesque shit going around.

Gameplay-wise it's vastly superior to the first game and it's mostly really fun on tactician if you don't abuse the system in certain ways, though there are many parts when the game becomes too easy and would be much better with some tuning (not sure if post-launch patches / mods improved some of these things).

Yeah, I would. If you aren't convinced on Nier yet, I'm not really sure if it's going to change your mind but there is some shit you find out is all I'll say.
As for Evil Within, like I said to another user before, some of it is triple A-esque but it does enough different for me to be impressed. The more open-ended approach to design and the story are much improved from the first game and it was a great palette cleanser from the more extensive open world games and RPG's I played.

Too lazy to make an image:
Hollow Knight
A Hat in Time
Prey
Danganronpa V3
Road Redemption
Near Tomato
Snek Pass
Elex
Super Cloudbuilt
Bomber Crew

>HURR IT WAS A DREAM trope

uh huh but was it a good horror game? I'm sick of stuff like this and Prey where they use a spoopy backdrop and then it's a horror game.

what

t. brainlet

It's more action adventure with horror elements than pure survival horror. There is a degree of resource management that can make some encounters intense on higher difficulties. On the whole, I got spooked a fair amount of times.