Can I just start with the third one or should I buy the collection to play one and two?

Can I just start with the third one or should I buy the collection to play one and two?
My sister gifted me the fourth one for PS4 and I really want to play it. I've heard that three is really good and I have the PS2 version sitting around somewhere, which I've never touched. What should I do Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SdIz8h20w6A
youtube.com/watch?v=KlBv6uR1IQU
youtu.be/0uVAnEUR_oM
youtube.com/watch?v=atGcliA-HNw
youtube.com/watch?v=I92Tgf9yFCo
youtube.com/watch?v=y2vCko6V4pQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

play 1 and 4
3 is overrated shit
lady is cool tho

Is 2 as bad as I've heard?
I've only played 1 but my 'tism tells me I shouldn't be skipping games.

Play 1 and 3. Skip 2

Judge it yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=SdIz8h20w6A

Tell me about your sister.

Yeah this. Describe what she smells like.

It's average

Even DmC is better

Forget the game, and bang your sister pussy. Take some pics too.

Guys stop, she's cute

The gift is a signal of love, OP. Use the knowledge of the wise rednecks, and keep things between family.

Play 1st first no matter what. Doesn't matter if 3 is a prequel, going back from 3 to 1 for the first time can be pretty jarring.

>my 'tism tells me I shouldn't be skipping games.
Had the same problem, even went on to beat DMC2 on DMD. But yeah, the game's pretty terrible. No semblance of challenge until the that last difficulty, shit just rolls over and dies to a few swipes and pistol rounds otherwise. Worst of the game is all the bullshit flying bosses, can't do anything vs them but shoot guns. Only 1 good boss in the game, skyscraper dude.

2 is a generic action adventure game. No STYLE or substance to it, not to mention its the easiest of the four. Even easier then the reboot.

1 aged badly, I quit halfway through. Play 3, then 4. 2 is shit.

2 is literally 10 times worse than the reboot

Play them in production order. This is always the answer and playing 3 or 4 before 1 might make it hard to enjoy the original entry strictly because the gameplay is different.
2 is a bad game. People can, do, and will continue to like it but it's objectively bad. The AI's broken, among other things. Here's what to expect:
>DMC1
Great romp with action-series and horror cheese. Very atmospheric, easy to get lost in and enjoy.
>DMC2 hurriedly made sequel by none of the people that made the first one good. Capcom wanted to cash in on the surprisingly successful IP (DMC was originally a Resident Evil 4 draft turned into something else) and failed. It's a broken game with some solid designs.
>DMC3
Closer to the original DMC1. Not as gothic in atmosphere or tone, but this is where the series gets "CUHRAYZEE!" Gameplay is tight and responsive, letting you do a ton of shit however you see fit. It's fun, it's exciting, it's often hailed as the best and there's plenty to support that claim. Original game is pretty challenging. Special Edition lets you play as Vergil.
>DMC4
Half a game. Gameplay is incredible, everything else falls flat. Uncle Dante is so far above everything that nothing fazes him so his characterization is more like DMC3's Dante rather than DMC1's, which is a bit odd considering that DMC1 comes before 4 chronologically. It takes a lot of the good from DMC3's action and ramps it right up so it's enjoyable for that alone, though there isn't as much enemy variety and you replay through the same stages for Dante's half of the game (Dante shares the protagonist role with a new character named Nero.) Special edition lets you play as Nero, Dante, Trish, Lady, and Vergil.
And, fuck it.
>DmC: Devil May Cry
It would've been a fine game were it not related at all to Devil May Cry as a franchise or using its name. That's all there is to say about it. Doesn't live up to the series standard and frankly doesn't try to. Definitive Edition is a must.

I played DmC:dmc years after it was released, never really browsed hate threads for it
>it's a fairly fun, decent game
>Definitely not a good dmc game

Yeah, it's solid on its own but a shit DMC entry. I think most people can agree to that.

Fuck you

consider sudoku DMC3babby

DmC is an amazing game. His biggest flaw was to have DMC in the fucking cover.

Why are capcom directors so stupid? It could become a great IP if they only said "it have gameplay inspirations on DMC, but is not related to the series", instead of shitting on the fanbase's head.

cringe

Agreed. 1 ain't cool, 2 is straight shit.

3 and 4 are the only games that matter.

Just get the collection for 1 and 3, then 4's SE
Do NOT touch 2

2 is awful, you're right. But you still should play it after 1 and before 3, just so you can truly appreciate 3. It's one of the biggest vidya sequel jumps in quality ever

I must be the only one who enjoyed turning into Mecha Demon mode in DMC 2. Sure it broke the game but it was fun as fuck

Don't listen to these pussies. If you want the true DMC experience you have to suffer through 2 so 3 becomes that much sweeter

>OP has never experienced DMC1 and DMC3 in HD at 720p60FPS locked.
>DMC3 HD in turbo mode

This and Ninja Gaiden Black.Sigma are kino.

I died escaping a fire level, a burning building, because I couldn't find the proper exit trigger by an airplane. Never played DMC2 ever again.

I never got into DMC, the inverted camera controls fucked with me too much.

>720p

Do you think that's an achievement?

Jesus Christ DMC4 Lady is so hot when you can actually see her eyes

Compared to the PS2 480p version he's about to play and Switch having sub 720p games in 2017 like Doom and Skyrim, yes, I do for a 10 year old console.

Nobody has actually played DMC 1 or 2

That kind pissed me off too. Only finished DMC1 recently on pcsx2, because on it I can remap the controls by changing the directions, so the camera gets normal. Fucking europeans and their inverted camera.

DMC1 is so light you can emulate it on a dual core. That's not an achievement. The PS3 ain't that weak, they could put it at 1080p 60fps with a little effort.

I have.

Agreed, it's best played in RPCS3 at 1080p.

>DMC1
Not a terrible game, just really mediocre. Everything it does, DMC3 does better.
>DMC2
Literal garbage that's not worth playing.

Play 3 and 4 and forget about the rest.

The first one is the best game in the franchise and the only one that was not a rushed mess.

3 is when the series started going downhill.

>1 aged badly, I quit halfway through.
The combat and weapon switching are a bit faster in 3, but that's about it. I like DMC3 but 1 does everything else better. Better enemies and bosses, music, atmosphere, character arcs, etc. You kind of sound like someone who started with 3 which is why you think 1 is bad.

Nelo Angelo is pretty cool, I'll give you that. But every other boss is shit.

Nightmare was pretty cool too tho

youtube.com/watch?v=KlBv6uR1IQU

Yeah, all the bosses of DMC have some pretty jamming songs, but mechanically Nightmare is a mess.

I'll take Nevan, A&R, Beowulf, and Vergil over the DMC1 bosses any time of the day.

I'm absolutely amazed at the amount of terrible taste ITT. You are all casual babies if you can not appreciate the first game and just circlejerk the 3rd game on off. First game was not about overly stylish combos, but abusing enemy gimmicks for quick kills. DMC1 has the most aggressive enemies and forces you to play cat and mouse as to not get your shit pushed in.

best song:

youtu.be/0uVAnEUR_oM

>but mechanically Nightmare is a mess.
What do you mean?

The A&R fight was decent, and Cerberus was okay except for a few cheap attacks, but Nevan/Beowulf/Vergil fights just annoyed me. Nevan's heal, Beowulf's homing missile attack, and Vergil's blocks just made me mad.

DMC 2 takes place after DMC 4 so you don't really have to play it yet. I enjoyed DMC 2 but thats probably because it was the first video game I've ever played.

It does have the coolest looking Dante

The DMC1 soundtrack is one of my favorites along with Mega Man X's and VtMB's soundtracks.

youtube.com/watch?v=atGcliA-HNw

I can see why some people like DMC3 more but for me, combat in DMC1 just feels more satisfying for some reason. Special moves in DMC3 might be flashier with more special effects but I think it ends up taking away from the feeling of using a powerful attack because it just looks TOO flashy.

I'm with you, DMC1 is one of my top games period. Still get the itch to replay it on hard/ DMD every so often. I appreciate DMC3 too and all, the deal is that enemies were made far tankier for the combo-centric gameplay. It built off the first game, but wasn't actually a successor imo. Something like Bloodborne is probably more up that alley. Would have preferred the series have went with more direct combat like Ninja Gaiden myself, but 3 & 4 have long took over the series identity.

I feel like I should replay DMC1 before going to the other ones to get a better appreciation for it.
I went into the game expecting cuhrayzee bullshit and got a normal, but interesting action game instead, and I didn't really start feeling the combat until the last 1/3 of my runthrough.
I also missed the shotguns and was upset the whole time because I thought the game didn't have any.

I just did a full playthrough from normal and beat DMD again earlier this year, third time I've done that I think. Got pretty good at it, didn't use any items except for yellow orbs during the Mundus fight because I didn't want to keep doing Mundus 1 over. I never did a comparison of enemy HP but if they were given more HP to do longer combos then that could also be why combat feels less satisfying. Might look better, it's pretty impressive to see what some people can do, but it doesn't feel quite as good sadly.

DMC1 is just more stylish than cuhrayzee. It does get better once you unlock more special moves, not having stinger makes the game a drag for a bit in the beginning. Sucks that you missed the shotgun though, sidestepping and doing jump shots with it is really fun

Nobody below 20, sure.

Cuhrayzee started with Itsuno. DMC1 is a RE hack and slash.

DMC1 was already stylish to begin with, it was also very cheesy and hammy.

I always felt like DMC1 was more Evil Dead 1/2, hammy and cheesy, but with a sincerity. DMC3 cranked up the camp, more overly goofy towards being Army of Darkness.

Unironically watch a bit (or all) of the Mathew Mattosis playthrough.

It's the most complete, understandable and transparent guide to "get" DMC.

People who jerk off DMC3 as if its infallible should rethink their lives.

There's a reason why all style videos on DMC3 is on mission 1, mission 2, mission 5 trial of the sword, or boss rush, and even on the boss rush it's 90% Vergil 1 2 3. This is because 50% of the enemies fucking sucked, like pic related, spiders, gargoyles, non-pawn chess pieces, Arkham gay slugs etc etc. They tech out of your mid air combos, attack erratically off screen, and for the fallen they could just float above the camera and spam projectiles. Also can anyone remember what happened after Vergil 2? The game kinda falls apart. Mission 13-18 were utterly not memorable, with exception of Lady bossfight. Mission 16 were 25 minutes worth of literal backtracking. There were some corridors and rooms from across the map that were literally copy pasted and identical with no reason at all other than cutting corners.

Good thing that they end on a good note with Vergil's fight. Kinda reminds me of Dark Souls 1, the later third of the game completely falls apart but people rarely talked about it at all and just keep memeing the "canon" repeated opinion of its a really good game, worthy of classic without flaws.

>Mathew Mattosis

Combo videos made by plebs will always feature basic mobs only, be it DMC3, 4 God Hand, Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta.

Also fuck you, the spiders and the chess pieces are great foes.

This faggot is pushing my shit in. What do?

Holy fuck, right?

>the chess pieces are great foes

No, fornicate THOU.

Fucking last minute "oh shit we have to publish the game but only have half the enemies needed to populate the levels, better take some enemies from that one boss fight and copy paste them throughout some levels" are great foes...

>chess pieces are great foes
The spiders were the only actual competant enemy in the game and are very aggressive. The reason someone wouldn't like them is because they're not simply combo fodder.

Watch his movements and time your dodges when he starts spinning? There's nothing to do but acquire proficiency, just timing and reaction speed.

It feels like there's no moment where I can attack him after I got his mask off.

>Combo videos made by plebs will always feature basic mobs only
Even top players like donguri990 or sakaki1224 don't do anything beyond basic mob combo and Vergil boss rush styling on DMC3, not just plebs.

One third of that game completely sucks. People have selective memory loss. Try to SSSSS those missions on DMD, and you'll be spamming DTE like no tomorrow because those enemies are not fun, and in 2005 off screen attack on a janky fixed camera angle is still deemed acceptable

Don't listen to this faggot. 3 is the best in the series. Play in this order:
3 > 1 > 2 > 4

>they're not simply combo fodder
Enemies should not be able to tech out of aerial combos randomly. What is this, fucking Guilty Gear? It's a single player game that encourages stylish combo gameplay. At least make it consistent, like 25 hits in and then they tech out. When enemies tech randomly, and the spider tech out on the 2nd hit of aerial rave it's fucking bullshit

you can play 1 if you really want to but it sucks, if you're going to play it do it before 3 or be forever spoiled

Donguri literally plays the whole game in the most stylish way possible.

I know it's hip and cool that DMC1fags have blind hate for 3, but at least be reasonable.

>2 and 1 above 4
ok. I agree on 3 tho

Just to clarify, I'm saying it's bullshit if you want to make style videos, or speed run on them, not because they're difficult to defeat. Enemies should not behave erratically like that.

ALL DMC enemies can be beaten with just 2 moves, neutral jump into helm breaker, including Vergil 3, but it would be incredibly boring wouldn't it? Enemies that attack, and break your combo string like Spider and chess pieces, or fly off screen to ruin your no damage run (gargoyles, fallen) are the antithesis of fun

Did we play the same game? I really don't get dmc1 posters. 1 had plenty crazy combos, just no god damn weapons or move variety, enemies take a ton of time to kill if you don't just blow them out with cheesy attacks or DT and no flashy moves? Ifrit has fucking shinku hadokens and Alastor lets you fly and fire thunder beams and do spinning drill attacks and you get it like 15 seconds into the game!

This is the order to play, not the quality order.
The quality order is 3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > DmC

>Mask off

I actually haven't played this game since the PS2 release so i don't know what you might be talking about, pretty sure he dies when you break his mask.

If you have Air Raid you can use that as it's always an answer to everything, otherwise just blast him with the shotgun and Helm Spliter, When he starts spinning just stand in the middle of the cage and dodge it until he stops.

>half a game is better than DMC1

3=1 > 4 >>>DmC

He only boss rush DMC3, or combos on punching bag basic enemies.

Please prove me wrong and show me his run of Mission 16 on DMC3

Play all the games in release order. Even 2, so you can appreciate how fantastically terrible it is. Like, it's fascinating how much they messed up.
1's alright

I've only actually played 1 and 3, what was so unforgivably bad about 2?

Like I've never seen even the most contrarian of Sup Forumstards trying to defend it.

4 is better because of the waifus. End of the story.

They're all a mess. Nightmare is just pure agony and unfun. That damn bird is a total headscratcher, an enemy you can't actually fight for most of the battle. The time you fight it on the fucking boat is probably the worst boss battle I've ever played through in a game. That's another thing too, there's only like 4 bosses in the game but you fight each of them 3 times, fuck off. Nelo Angelo was cool as shit but then you got this guy complaining about vergil blocking like a brainlet so I guess he hated that too. Then you have those fucking shadow dogs. Christ.

Fun game though, loved the atmosphere, the castle at night was a great revisit and the regular enemies were all cool. Good music to boot.

>DTE

What a fucking shit mechanic.

>what was so unforgivably bad about 2?
youtube.com/watch?v=I92Tgf9yFCo

DEMON TANKS
DEMON HELICOPTER

Guns are better than sword. You can't cancel sword attack with anything and the damage isn't even worth it
AIs are retard
Great boss designs such as a tank that shot a super telegraphed shot every 5 second and a fucking helicopter

>not a rushed mess
>rehashes literally every boss multiple times to pad out the game
>3 out of 4 weapons have the exact same moveset but with varying power levels
>insanely disjointed plot that's all over the place
>gimmicky ass shit like underwater fps segments
DMC1 hipsters need to get a grip

>there's only like 4 bosses in the game but you fight each of them 3 times, fuck off.
Every fight they introduced new abilities. You're supposed to see how far you've advanced as a player when you're eventually toppling these guys with ease. It's an easy way to pad out the game, you have to remember how early these action games were.

>Then you have those fucking shadow dogs. Christ.
Nigga they're one of the best enemies.

this angers and amuses me at the same time.

>in 2005 off screen attack on a janky fixed camera angle is still deemed acceptable

lol I remember
>enemies starts stinger like dash attack animation
>you jump back on a corridor and fixed camera angle changes
>chinger changer nigger dagger dashes on you and clips you on landing from completely different direction due to camera changes

I know fixed camera are supposed to be atmospheric but this is not tank control survival horror, fixed camera has no place in stylish action game

youtube.com/watch?v=y2vCko6V4pQ

I remember how i found out about the sequel through PSN magazine and it was just a 1 page review. I knew it was bad before i even started reading it.

3 is chronologically the first game in the series and also the best game in the series

If you ask me I recommend starting with it
4 is similar and should definitely be played after 3 if you like it
1 and 2 are somewhat different from 3 and 4
1 is pretty good
most people consider 2 to be bad but personally I thinks its just okay

Doesn't he do his spin attack after his mask is broken? That's what I'm talking about.

I'll try Air Raid, but I don't remember if I have enough money to buy it.

the new abilities are memes and the strat to beat them remains the same, shit like the spider gets easier purely because you're no longer in that fucking tiny meme cathedral with pillars fucking up the camera constantly

DMC4 has the best gameplay BY FAR. You can switch between "styles" while fighting as opposed to having to find a checkpoint and change them manually in a menu. DMC3 has good gameplay but is less fun that DMC4 for the reason I just stated above. DMC1 is good and the second one is garbage

If you have the air hike ability, just jump up past his level and drop down with a devil triggered helm breaker. The higher you are, the more damage helm breaker will do. I don't think there's any actual mask breaking.

Son, just stop. Arguing with DMC3 toddlers is a fruitless endeavor. Just leave them to their shit smearing simple ways.

Are you serious, it's not even a wildly inflammatory statement.

Yes, but he stops if you dodge like 3 or 4 of his passes so i don't understand where the "i can't find an opening" is coming from.

air hike is expensive as shit

Play 1 then try 2 and skip it if you don't like it, then play 3 then play 4 and skip DmC

If you play chronologically you're going to be disappointed by 1, dont spoil your enjoyment by rushing

I usually see people saving for air hike early on, always felt like it really deprives you.