Would you still use Windows if game/software compatibility weren't an issue with macOS or Linux?

Would you still use Windows if game/software compatibility weren't an issue with macOS or Linux?

What kind of a moronic question is that? Of course not.

Nope
I already use linux for my laptops, I could dual boot my desktop but fuck having to restart whenever I want to play a game

I changed when W10 came. It wasn't a fun change, but changing back would be horrendous.

I'm too stupid for Linux and too smart to pay for Apple. So yes I'd still use Windows.

On my laptop, so I could use it for work. I've had compatibility issues with spreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations going between MS Office and both OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

linux is easier than windows, any time you have a problem you google " arch linux" and they've already posted 12 solutions to their wiki

yes, but good luck with that

nope

if it werent for the spying i would. windows 10 is perfect in every other way. its fast, reliable good for games and 10 finally has out of the box virtual desktops and a rip off expose. the spying is my only issue with windows as it exists now

>arch linux
DUDE CHECK OUT THIS 12 YEAR OLD WHO IS ALSO A HACKER WHOOOAAAA

It's never that easy. Any time I had a problem with Linux the solution is always "sudo apt-get ", input some other commands, then pray it actually worked (which in my experience is about 50-50).

No.

I don't use windows. Haven't used windows in 15 years.
Play on console because I hate Microsoft more than consoles.

Fuck no.

Windows is what I've used for years, sure. Linux doesn't have cool software like Everything either.
Unless you mean "would you use W10" .

Are you serious? Hell no.

Shut up, you smelly pedoNEET.

If I could use/play everything I do on Windows on a Linux OS I'd move to Linux post-haste. I only use Windows because most things need it.

For awhile, until I either got used to unfucking things I fucked up in linux, or decided I never will. I'm closer to the latter honestly. I test some things in a VM install now and then, and I just can't get my head around using it as an admin rather than just dos-level command shit. Figuring out shit like zlib dependency and why python won't fucking acknowledge it's there and in the right place is more hassle than it's worth.
Mac fucking never ever though.

I'd use something else but mac is for fags and literal retards and linux is linux. Give me an alternative that isn't hot garbage or fag shit pandering to people who don't use computers.

And that's where you ask yourself-
Do you need most things?

Unfortunately some of my work-related software is not on linux. I'm stuck with Windows and not even because of games.

>7fags

>using borderline malware OS

>that isn't hot garbage or fag shit pandering to people who don't use computers.

why are you using windows then?

no way in hell

vidya is the only reason I still use windows

Where else is he gonna go with mac and linux inferior options? Android? Fucking OS/2?

Nope, probably not.

Fuck no

>MS forcing users getting the most up to date hardware to install their Telemetric software, unless you install an authorized patch that has no guarantee of flawlessly flying under MS radars & getting security updates in the future.

I'd be overhauling my PC if Linux was a solid option for gaming by now.

With the incessant stuttering I've been having in windows I'd perma swap to linux and kill a microsoft exec if it meant I could have this.

Once my 7 partition dies I will just get Linux. Maybe I'll dual boot for games but I don't know

Knowing full well that older versions of windows will be made obsolete, would you still use Windows?

There is a VM passthrough option, if your hardware supports it. Basically, dual booting without a need to reboot.
Wine has been working on its DX11 support lately too, though the support is still shaky. At least DX12 should be easy as fuck to support, even if Vulkan doesn't take off.

What is Sup Forums's opinion on windows 7?

fpbp

Of course, Apple only has the best engineering, manufacturing and support for the end consumers that it would certainly make a dent in the market of vidKERNEL PANIC.

No absolutely not

>windows 10 is perfect in every other way
l m a o

I can count the number of times I've experienced a forced mac shutdown. On Windows I've had a BSOD from simply touching the volume button while my audio device was disconnected.

threadly reminder

You've better luck than me, this Macbook is in a full suicide loop.

Apple is just worse linux
I got a cheap laptop for os x just to try it out and I tried to get this program that I needed to do something
The program required the latest version of os x
I said okay, I went to get the latest version of os x
Couldn't upgrade to latest version of os x on my laptop- you had to have a newer computer for it to allow you to upgrade your os, so I couldn't get the program I needed
Threw it away never looked at it again

I'm still using XP.

Compatibility issues are the only reason anyone uses Windows for anything. If it were legal for other companies to make their own OS and have it be able to run all your shit that ran on Windows, MS would be bankrupt in a week. The only reason this hasn't happened is that MS for an early monopoly going which forced everyone to have to use their OS cause they need their shit to be compatible with other peoples shit.

Grow up

I'll disconnect my Win7 machine from the internet the day it is discontinued

Wine is convenient but I don't know how well it performs. Especially for older stuff

now that its free and doesnt need to be activated, yes

arch is good for beginners, it teaches you a lot more functionality

there is already a dedicated "look ma, i'm a hacker" distro with kali linux
is that what you meant to poke fun of?

I'm not going to do it anyway. Apparently you can use your real graphics card in a virtual PC now.

Of course. Windows 10 is a fucking garbage OS with so much utter bullshit I can't turn off.

>Install Gentoo

No, I'm switching to Linux soon.
Already learned a good deal about how to use it.
Things are difficult at the beginning but once everything is set, it is better than windows in a lot of ways.
For games I will be running Windows 7 in a VM though.
Wine is a meme and is very annoying to use.

BeOS

Of course not, I play on consoles. PC with Linux is for work.

This is fucking hilarious

fuck no

I'd use linux if more games ran on it.

I sure as fuck wouldn't use mac, but I might switch to Linux.

No fucking way
I'd use Linux

What about an older version of the program? Either way, you did the right thing.

I use all 3 on a regular basis and all moving from Windows to another would do is change the set of issues I have.

Amiga or nothing you fucking nigger.

Isn't it legal? Wine literally does this.
It's just fucking hard, because compatibility is hard and restrictive, and being compatible with fucking bugs of a system, especially of an OS, is even harder.
And honestly, backwards compatibility is the one thing Microsoft genuinely stuck their neck out to support, even to the detriment of the other parts of the OS. So it's not like the entirety of it is on the vendor locking.
It depends. On average, it's decent but not really predictable. There is no guarantee everything in particular will work, it's on a case-by-case basis.
Graphic APIs is still a major separator. If a game uses DX9 or lower, the graphics will probably have no bugs. If it's DX10/11, popular games might work, but there might be artifacts or it might not work at all. DX12 is not supported yet. OpenGL and Vulkan obviously work well.
Other than that, popular works better than unpopular, games work a lot better than regular programs, old overall works better than new, something that looks written by halfway competent programmers works better than a mess dependent on bugs to work at all (because of that VNs can be surprisingly finnicky at times, nips can't into programming).
Some games require downloading native DLLs instead of Wine reimplementations but that's easy to do with winetricks. Sometimes you need to make a separate prefix (basically a separate "fake Windows" environment, takes like a gig of space and half a minute of time to generate a new one) for something because some programs only work if particular native DLLs aren't installed.
WineHQ holds a public database of how well Wine works with any particular game, it has a fuckton of entries.
TL;DR It's really uneven, but overall it works well enough. Most of the stuff will probably work. It's not that you can't play games on Wine, it's that you don't have any guarantees whether this new game you are interested in is playable or not until you do research.

I tried gayming on debian, but even with the correct drivers installed I get ~30FPS in CSGO with it sometimes dropping to 10FPS. In my windows 7 partition I get 60+FPS easy all the time

>am i cool and hip now xdddd?
Can you like fuck off this site. Arch is maximum comfy

Nope

It's all just a matter of who do you want spying on you, I choose Windows all the time because I'm a moneyless faggot so what does the jews get from spying at me haha

probably not tbqh

>retards who unironically use linux
ahahahahahahahah

I am not even playing that much anymore. I have been using Linux on my laptop for a year now and it's great. Can't wait for Windows to die on me. My Win7 just turned 2 years last week and it's still stable.

I'd use Linux and never look back.

Hell no.

If every game I wanted to play would work flawlessly on linux I'd be on linux in literally no time at all.

get that apple out of your ass, vegan steve

Just set up a vm with gpu passthrough

Talking about Linux. Can't even get 3d acceleration working on rx550 card on Ubuntu. It's a joke

What is ReactOS

I really doubt it's going to give results any time soon. Way too much work.
It is overall probably a good idea to reverse engineer Windows though, if only for Wine or theoretical future Winelikes.

still not fucking done? WEW LAD

Working, non-gaming time I am spending on my Arch... Windows is shit

Yeah, probably just so I could go on freenet ;)

>Linux
>The special snowflake OS fags use to feel good because they didn't conform to normality while Googling a million fixes for their problems
lmao

spent a day of hell trying to get it working on my new build with 2 m.2 SSD in raid 0 and a gen8 i7 8700k.

Worth it, runs like a charm. in b4 no dx12.
>dx12 is a fucking meme

Aren't they the driving force behind recent wine improvements?

I don't know, actually.

I read somewhere that ReactOS breakthroughs were the cause of wine improvements and vice versa.
I mean it's moving faster now. Year ago it was 0.3.something, now it's 0.4.7

Yes, I hate how OSX handles and I hate having to type everything in the fucking terminal.

Call Windows evil or whatever but there's a reason so many people use it and it's not just software compatibility

In some magical alternate universe where Linux has the same or better functionality and compatibility as Windows? I'd drop Windows in a heart beat but we don't live in that universe so I'm sticking with 7 until I see no reason not to.

No, I wouldn't.
I already use Windows as little as possible.

>hurr
I unironically use Ubuntu.
I've *never* used Arch.
I still use the Arch wiki a fair bit, it's actually quite good.

Of course not, and Windows keeps getting shittier

I would go to linux in a heartbeat yes, i like to control what my fucking computer does and not have it randomly write shit to disk at the speed of sound because bill gates decided to send an update.
Shit makes me fucking mad.

fpdo

I have a 100GB windows partition that I use exclusively for Steam. Everything else I do on Linux.

>partition
>not a qcow2 image...

If Windows keeps going in the direction of 10 I'll be making the switch anyway.

I'm already on Linux and I'm not looking back. Battlefront might not be coming to Linux and good riddance.