Let's have a friendly JRPG thread

Let's have a friendly JRPG thread.

What are you playing at the moment? What's coming out in the near-future that you're planning on buying?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yv0NZxqHpa8
youtube.com/watch?v=FHtaqROGDOY
youtube.com/watch?v=7lt4_kmknQw
youtube.com/watch?v=enmbF7E0F0s
youtube.com/watch?v=iXjOs8gjOjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=RB2kuHHt7gA
youtube.com/watch?v=i4PCOAJ80lo
youtube.com/watch?v=BkFEEQaIvjA
youtube.com/watch?v=idRhQsjc28c
youtube.com/watch?v=KWBXe0BOtWM
youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck you.

I'm looking at nights of azure 1 and 2
Preordering Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory next month
Want to get some more physical ones for my Vita too

Jrpg is not a genre.

I'm still a bit (pleasantly) surprised that Sony even bothered localizing this one, considering the original was one of many period JRPGs that never made the jump.

jrpgs suck and arent rpgs

Currently going thru DQ7 & Chain of Memories
God both games are tedious. At least I'm on the Riku half.

Go away Russian you're potato.

Currently playing Castle Panzers.
So far is SO much better than Pirates. Otton is far less annoying and its easily the funniest game in the Genkai Tokki series since the first game.

Kinda sucks that there are only story-mode battles but I guess its more like an SRPG in that structure.

>What are you playing at the moment?

I'm on Vol. 2 in .hack//GU Last Recode

> What's coming out in the near-future that you're planning on buying?

Ys VIII whenever the fucking PC version comes out NISA you fucks

CoM is both the best in the series and the most frustrating to play. The disney segments amount to fucking nothing, and all you wanna do is fight bosses and get to the actual story.

What game is this?

I'm playing Valkyrie Profile right now, I like the combat system so far but I wish I could hit more than 1 dude at a time. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet.

Oreshika, a good, somewhat unknown JRPG by Sony Japan Studio for the Vita. It's a sequel to some obscure Japan-only PS1 JRPG from the late '90s.

.hack//g.u.
Once I'm finished with the forest of pain, it's off to volume 4. Can't wait.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yv0NZxqHpa8

Playing Dream Drop Distance on Kingdom Hearts 2.8. Proud Mode was a fucking mistake. Three final bosses in a row that took hours with no save point so I had to leave it on overnight and finish in the morning.

Anyone here play either of tbe Raidou Kuzunoha games? More action oriented but seem like cool games and I plan to hunt for copies.

Probably getting ultra moon tomorrow. Probably wouldn't bother but I have some buddies and we actually fuck around sometimes on wifi battles so it's mostly just for that.

Just beat nights of azure 2. It was a pretty fun game with 10/10 waifus. Nights 1 was terrible tho. Even if it went on sale I wouldn't recommend it.

How do you get pretty offspring? All my kids get darker and darker every gen and their hair color redder and redder. Have tried different hair-colored gods but they're all ugly regardless.

is persona 5 worth a play as someone who is almost entirely sick of persona 3/4 except for some of the music? is it just more of the same? anything original or good?

It's probably not gonna swing you around, it's largely a more refined retread.

Had absolutely zero fun with the combat. Buffs are way too important (Its something like +/- 40% Atk/Def) and only last 3 turns. Not to mention bosses cleanse it nonstop, it just turns into a shitfest where you spend half the time applying buffs and debuffs. The story is okayish but personally I just got bogged down trying to min/max social links and social levels to the point where it wasnt exactly that fun.

Well, gonna play it anyway. sucks.

>you spend half the time applying buffs and debuffs
is that not every megaten game?

I never said it was restricted to P5. I really dislike megatens buff/debuff system in general and iirc most of the older SMT games buffs dont last 3 turns at least.

Release date for The Lost Child, please.

Just picked ip Disgaea 3 & 4, and I am looking forward to playing them.

I'm replaying Fire Emblem 7.
Next on my backlog is Grandia.
Not planning on buying anything new in the near future; I have no recent consoles.

I thought about buying a ps vita, but the only games that seems interesting are the atelier series, odin sphere, and SaGa (which doesn't seem to be getting a translation). Are there any other good jrpgs on vita I should consider buying a vita for?

Is 'friendly' the new thread buzzword to look out for now?1

Just finished Ys Seven and now I'm not sure what to play. Mostly I'm waiting for FF XII release on Steam, along with Ys VIII.

I got Tales of Symphonia in my backlog but I'm not sure if I should play it. It looks really fucking naive, as if all the characters were children. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Also, are the Disgaea games worth it? Mostly story wise.

Waiting for something good on pc. Too much moeshit.

Currently playing P5 second playthrough, YS Origin, replaying FFVII and IX, and just recently started P4. Looking forward to XBC 2, Lost Sphear, Ni No Kuni II, Pogeymanz Switch, SMT V, and finally playing Ys VIII when they fix the localisation. I don't usually give a shit about that kind of thing, but if they're overhauling it totally, i might as well wait.

I cannot git gud at Chain of Memories.

Has anyone played Demon Gaze 2? That's what I'm looking forward to.

I am playing this

God that game was so shit... It's one of the sequels, right? Did the writing get any better?

>Vita
Fuck, the artstyle looks great.

See you in 2020 user.
I'm 12 hours in XC1, Sharla is an absolute babe. I'm cleaning the timed quests before reaching Colony 6.
I'm also playing FFIV and I love it. Could'nt get into FFVI because of how it tries to be both humorous and tragic at the same time
>Here there's a ghost train with the most important people for the great samourai in your team
>It's moving, music and all
>2 minutes later they are joking about jumping from above a waterfall.

I really prefer Cecil's redemption quest. Caught me quite a few times already.

its the best jrpg of our generation

Atelier is a meme. It's awful. It's not because it's niche, it's absolutely awful and only about crafting with poor exploration, shit bestiary. (I'm talking about Rorona/Totori and so on.

Why don't you play EO like everyone else? Demon Gaze 1 was awful balance wise, and Experience inc don't know any better.
There's also Dungeon Travelers 2 if you're allergic to Nintendo or to the 3DS

The Vita is THE console for these types of games, my dude.

Demon Gaze, Oreshika, Mary Skelter, Operation Abyss (which I think got a PC port), MeiQ, Moe Chronicles, Stranger of Sword City

My nigga.

Excepting for Oreshika and Mary Skelter, most of these games are underwhelming. And you forgot Dungeon Travelers 2 which is the best Dungeon Crawler of the vita.

I'm playing Persona 5. It's my first Persona game, though I've played other SMT titles (Strange Journey and IV)

Are the other Persona games this long? I'm at about the 55 hour mark, sort of just started the 5th palace and the game is starting to wear on me. Don't get me wrong, I've really dug it so far, the soundtrack is fantastic, I dig the characters, and the aesthetic is insane. The sheer amount of effort that went into the game's presentation is mind blowing. But the stretch between the 4th and 5th palaces was a bit much, and the sudden difficulty spike (playing on hard) that's made me out to be severely underleveled while the combat hasn't at all evolved from the start of the game is making me kind of want to be done with it

Without spoilers, about how far am I?

>combat hasn't at all evolved from the start
Hmmm what do you mean? Seeing you're familiar with SMT IV it doesn't raelly that much different except you don't have a team of demons

What are some games (doesn't necessarily have to be a jrpg) with the same scope as Suikoden 2?

Guess you'd rather have buff stacking back..?

>I'm at about the 55 hour mark, sort of just started the 5th palace and the game is starting to wear on me
It was the same for most players. It's because the 5th dungeon is the worst of the bunch. The story picks up after that. And the 5th boss makes up for its shit dungeon.

I miss Suikoden and Breath of Fire.

>got back into Devil Survivor
>remembered people saying it was super hard to get the Anguished One path on day 7

>literally just had to select him on the main menu

wtf are the battles gonna get particularly hard? they're already a bit hard but theres free battles available to grind on and the combat is actually fun so it doesnt feel like grinding. Devil Survivor feels like what FFTA would be like if FFTA were actually fun

desu2 is only really hard at the end but it's still easier than the first

I mean the every encounter is

>Ambush
>Fish for weaknesses
>All out attack

Every time. There's really no depth to the actual combat because it's always over in one turn, otherwise you (nearly) get one shot (at least on hard mode). On the surface it seems like there's a lot of customization you can mess around with your demons and such, but in my experience it never comes into play because 99% of encounters are what I just described above

Except for the palace bosses. Persona 5 has some of the best boss fights I've seen in a JRPG. But I'm 55 hours in and there's only been 4 of them, so

Just longer duration buffs or weaker buffs in general. Theres too much priority on a short turn skill that it just makes it a hassle to keep them up instead of fun.

honestly day 6 is such a jump in difficulty that its what put me off the game the first time

its piss easy until the proper final Mizar fight, then it just goes "Oh wait, this is SMT!" and shits in your mouth

I even had to start caring about fusing good abilities onto my demons instead of just Multi-Striking everything!

also if it wasnt clear (i think its not) i meant that i was lead to believe that the Anguished One path was more or less hidden, or NG+ content, or something like that. I wasn't expecting just being able to pick it next to Literally Hitler, Literally Stalin, and Literally Didn't Vote

>Every time. There's really no depth to the actual combat because it's always over in one turn, otherwise you (nearly) get one shot (at least on hard mode)

You just described SMT. An ambush in SMT3-4 means you may be dead, in one turn. Watch out for Sascatch, she was the true pain in the ass in the fifth dungeon.

But insist user. Y'ou're pas the first half now.

there's not really anything new in NG+ so it's basically pick whatever route you like first.

Is Nioh jrpg?

They're pretty good. The first one is a bit tedious, but it has a better story. Second game has much better gameplay. They both have killer soundtracks.

you might like Devil Survivor then -- it's easy, but you need very balanced teams or at least a balanced overall crew. it's also a tactics game, so if you like Advance Wars or FFT or whatever, there's something there for you too. It also keeps trash demons relevant -- avians and such are garbage as ever, but come with incredibly powerful field skills that make the decrease in combat effectiveness worth it, and you can equip your human party leaders well enough that demon composition is at once not *that* important but it's still worth it to take trashy avians or ghosts or w/e for movement or enemy-corralling skills

>there's not really anything new in NG+
awwww i was hoping there's at least a little bit of proper postgame stuff. at least there's the joy of endless battle

i say, it's better to have a fun game with no replay value than a bad game with lots of postgame shit. the game being fun is itself the postgame content, i guess

raidou games still have the best megaten intros

youtube.com/watch?v=FHtaqROGDOY

Kind of wondering which RPG I should tackle on next, I have enough time to play one for a while. Persona 5 or Xenoblade 2.

What's a good starting SaGa game? I recently bought a PS1 copy of Frontier 2 but haven't got around to playing it (it was sealed and I almost feel bad for thinking about opening it)

Been playing Persona 4 a bit but not too much. Kind of just waiting to get a modchip for my PSX so I can play FF7 and other "classic" games on that system.

>They both have killer soundtracks.
honestly the whole SMT series has fucking great music

except SMT IV

but literally every other one, from SMT1 to Raidou right around Strange Journey, theyre all great

youtube.com/watch?v=7lt4_kmknQw
youtube.com/watch?v=enmbF7E0F0s
youtube.com/watch?v=iXjOs8gjOjQ

xenoblade prolly has better tunes and gameplay, Black Tar was 2gud

Persona got too self-absorbed with P3 style JUICE LOL shit and left the actual gameplay and art assets by the wayside in favor of giant borders on everything and waifu pandering

frontier 1

I miss Kaneko designs so much. Raidou is such a baller.

SAO: Hollow Realization. Don't know much about the series, but it's a nice game so far.

>Except SMT IV

I'm not big into SMT but I have played IV and I loved the soundtrack. I hear people dissing on it a lot and I'm not sure why. The domain, mid boss, boss, and Tokyo themes were all jammin' IMO

youtube.com/watch?v=RB2kuHHt7gA

Were the other SMT soundtracks just -that- good or do people just really not like the SMT IV soundtrack?

He's doing a couple of guest demon designs for the SMT clone El Shaddai sequel that comes out Westward next year.

Different styles.
I prefer old SMT myself but IV and IV:A have some pretty good ones too.

There are a few good tracks to be sure, but in my opinion Meguro's stuff is way better. There were too many games with his stuff, and he sounded a bit samey in some games though.

It's still good, just a drop in quality from stuff like this

youtube.com/watch?v=i4PCOAJ80lo
youtube.com/watch?v=BkFEEQaIvjA
youtube.com/watch?v=idRhQsjc28c

the music of SMTIV just feels more basic. like they went from a composer and band to some very talented guys in a garage. it's well done and well performed but there's less to it.

then there's P4 and 5 which are just HAHA SKA LOL and are straight up meme music, they need to ease up on the fucking horns and other assorted ska bullshit and go back to proper hackerish rock

persona 5 had some tracks I liked still, anything non-vocal is still okayish.

youtube.com/watch?v=KWBXe0BOtWM

>straight up meme music

what does this even mean

Oh shit nice art

You tryin to talk like I haven't already? The DRPG train runs out eventually, Demon Gaze 2 is new is all.

shut the fuck up onsokumaru

>p5

I fucking loved the Palace boss music though. it's a simple composition but the chorus (is that an improper term of an instrumental track?) has a lot of build up and it always feels super good when it syncs up with a knockdown or whatever

>Kaneko leaving the flower garden
>ever
Clearly an imposter desu

He's gotta leave to add to his fedora collection sometime, user.

>it always feels super good when it syncs up with a knockdown or whatever
idk if P5 does it but its incredibly common to make musical scores sync with gameplay events

MGR is probably the best known modern example of it, even if its implementation is clumsy, but its real common to switch between parts of a track or have a "low" and "high" version of a track in combat to match gameplay intensity

Been playing through Xenoblade Chronicles, trying to finish it in time for 2. I just met Riki, absolutely loving the exploration and music so far. Combat is interesting enough as well, sorta like an mmo. Liking Dunban a lot as an evasion tank, any party composition reccomendations?

classic example, the RULES OF NATURE meme, because its literally what happens, the game attempts to cut gracefully to RULES OF NATURE when the RULES OF NATURE moment happens
youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw

I can't believe you've already beaten EOV. I'm barely past the first floors. Did you play the game after the japanese release?
Don't you play anything else? You've tried the wizardry too?

I finally had time to finish Etrian Odyssey IV. It was my first EO and a lot of fun. Going to now move onward to replaying all the Fire Emblem games in order to prep myself for the new Switch one, then after go back to EO with the Untold games since people said that is the best place to go next.

Recommend me some ps2 jrpg

what is that bear planning

I have to give Wizardry a go at some point actually. As for EOV, that was leaked like a month back my guy.

To millenom her

There are enough games out there to avoid Experience inc games user. Playing another game from this company would be a last resort measure for me. But whatever... Isn't there also a NIS DRPG planned for release too?

I like Dunban, Shulk and Reyn personally, because I like their chemistry so much. Riki also goes great with any of the other characters, and is a generally fun character to have on your team.

>all the extra bosses
>nothing new
Admittedly if you do NG+ for a different ending the game will still be 80% exactly the same

I'm a sucker for bad games if they're tolerable, Demon Gaze had cool music too. And yeah there's another NISA approved DRPG out in 2018ish, looks okay too.

>except SMT IV
fight me nigga

i have nothing left to lose and i own a big automatic wrench

ur ded kiddo

>honestly the whole SMT series has fucking great music
>except SMT IV
What the hell? You are the only person I have ever seen say IV didn't have great music. Even people that don't like the series like it.

I forgot about the extra bosses, still like you said NG+ feels pretty much the same as the first run.

can i at least take my demons to ng+ to steamroll it