How does Sup Forums feel about the current state of games journalism

how does Sup Forums feel about the current state of games journalism

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ne4CnyNW9O4
ign.com/articles/2017/09/21/divinity-original-sin-2-review
youtube.com/watch?v=k9exk5rqFWs&feature=youtu.be&t=3532
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's shitty but it's always been shitty.

sometimes they're the good guys

>Easily baited ese

>games journalism
no such thing nor has there ever been. at least magazines in 90s were cheesy enough to not take themselves so seriously.

He got obese really quick, what happened?

he actually called the SWBF2 bullshit a month ago

and even when the devs came on his show and gave him the runaround he still saw thru the bullshit

same with NFS

youtube.com/watch?v=ne4CnyNW9O4

How I've always felt for 20 years, indifferent.

At least he had the courage to stand against lootboxes and popular franchise

ign.com/articles/2017/09/21/divinity-original-sin-2-review

read this shit, literally praising it for political reasons

Drumpf

Trash then, trash now, trash forever.

I'm a dumb piece of shit and I feel like I could do a better job. I might actually try, but it depends on if I'll be paid with hentai and vodka.

The main gripe I have with journalists in all art/entertainment areas is their incompetence.

How are they supposed to tell ME if a game is good or bad when they have no experience with older titles and history of the genre? When a talk about RPGs would abruptly end with a "Ultima who? Goldbox what?" In addition, critical thinking is mauvais ton.

Please, feel free to take bribes and indulge in nepotism, but at least present it in a non-embarrassing way. Because, however mocked media is, it sets a bar for discussions, and "ordinary" gamers feel that it is OK to be incompetent and oblivious to history.

its not relevent enough to provoke feelings

well ironic to question experience with person in OPs pic

but in a whole, isnt it more their job just to divulge if the game is broken or inherently bad in terms of mechanics?

i mean Ride to Hell is inherently bad

but The Witness is not, in terms of actually running well, whether or not you like what the game is about is a different matter

Their existence is inherently flawed when reviewing a game and not simply reporting news on the games industry, but they're getting impressively worse at both. Game reviews by game news tabloids or whatever the fuck should not exist, leave that to the dedicated reviewers and critics whose jobs it is to actually play the game a decent amount and have knowledge about it, not some random intern who hates FPSes playing the sequel to another FPS.

Even if they did that though they've proven their incompetence and reporting regular news, so overall I'd say my opinion of it is pretty bad right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=k9exk5rqFWs&feature=youtu.be&t=3532

>isnt it more their job just to
No, no matter what I or you think reviews are perceived to be all-encompassing and reflect the general quality of the game not limited to technical issues.

Because this is what matters for general consumer and in turn this information is used by managers who call the shots on future projects. I mean, just recall the Bethesda/Obsidian deal.

Game reviews are treated the same as book or music album reviews, and they have the same function. Ideally, objective and subjective claims would be separated, yes, and technical issues are much easier to assess objectively. But it's not how it works. For instance, the recent ELEX got obliterated by reviewers but in fact it wasn't buggier or clunkier than other Piranha games. Not only this shows that reviewers have no clue about this subgenre and Gothic games, this also clearly affected the game's sales.

And I'm sure my console friends on Sup Forums would come up with similar examples for underrated console releases.

thats why i feel like totalautism is the antithisis of all games reviews

he spends so much time sperging out on graphical settings and fov an other shit

thats what really matters in the end

can the game run well

then the remaining 10-15% is how the game itself works and he gives you some other games in comparison for how or why he feels that way on that game

rahter than the bullshit IGN way of assigning a score that doesnt match the narrative

and then for further technical review you can watch the digital foundry videos who do a good job of listing or telling you which settings are on par with consoles so based on what you have you can decide which is worth it

Useless. It's always been pretty bad but they've gotten really awful in the last 10-15 years.

They basically just serve as another PR arm of the publishers. Most 'news' it just reposting press releases and very little 'real' investigative journalism can be done without risk of blacklisting and never getting review copies or those press releases.

Anything that's not one of those is some fluff bullshit like
>I interviewed an ERPer on how they use game animations to simulate sex
or some other retarded bullshit. Its just a waste of fucking time.

broke up with gf so he lost his reason to stay in shape