What is your personal opinion of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

What is your personal opinion of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

Overrated? Groundbreaking? Does it still hold up today?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WAtn0GQfbmw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I always felt it was good but nothing amazing, technologically ahead of its time but from a game-design perspective I always felt it was fundamentally flawed.

>I always felt it was fundamentally flawed
In what way?

>Overrated?
Certainly, but it doesn't by any means mean it's actually bad or mediocre.

>Groundbreaking?
It laid the groundwork for lock-on orbital based camera controls in a 3D space which is used in basically every 3rd person action game that isn't exclusively a shooter.

>Does it still hold up today?
In some ways and not others. It's still a thoroughly enjoyable experience but I don't many people who didn't already play the game when it came out can forgive the dips to single digit performance as often as it happens. While it was impressive for it's day hyrule field is by no means impressive today and no one playing the game in retrospect will get the same feeling as we did when we played it in 1998. A massive 3D world is more or less a given now rather than something to be in awe of.

>Overrated?
Yes
>Groundbreaking?
Somewhat, yes
Yes, although I am yet to see a game which doesn't, and I've played fucking Akalabeth for the first time in 2014.

It's alright. I don't remember much aside from the music and how to get through the woods though.

It got the rating it deserved back when it came out. But for people today to say it is *still* the greatest game is just stupid
It was most certainly "groundbreaking", but then many games are. Hearthstone, PUBG, Undertale are all groundbreaking in their respective categories
It holds up in the same way the N64 itself holds up. Do people still want to play the N64? Yes. Are there much better choices out there now? Yes. (Switch, PS4)

it's one of the most influential games of all time, a lot of the series spergs and normalfags alike masturbate over today take inspiration from it, from dark souls to gta

l replayed it with the 3ds remake a few years ago and even if it obviously shows its age l thought it held up remarkably well, it's an expertly paced action adventure game with some of the most memorable moments, locales and songs in any video game

Masterpiece, perfectly accessible and engaging

>I always felt it was fundamentally flawed.
Buzziest buzzwords i've heard all day.

Also asking "Does it still hold up today" rarely works for any game. People fucking hated OoT and DK64 when it was new and innovative, even more are going to be ~opinionated~ about it today if they've never played it before, and those that have will likely not be able to objectively review a game they enjoyed years ago.

N64 version hasn't aged well and there is pretty much no reason to not play the 3DS version unless you are a speedrunner or something.

Plot, gameplay and music is great and holds up well, but there's no excuse not to play the 3DS version with improved visuals/framerate

Almost no other game has more atmospheric and fun dungeons. And 5 of them at that.

Amazing game.

Don't give a shit what the majority thinks about this game. It'll always be my favorite. It always brings me back to a more pleasant time in my life.

While we're here though, music wise, every Zelda game that came after OoT has had worse and worse music. Koji Kondo was the life blood of this series.

Also the 3DS version is inferior.

>Also the 3DS version is inferior.
Do elaborate (pls dont be one of those muh darkness dags)

Very boring game with a few little good parts overall. Dungeons are shit, overworld was better except for the fucking empty field which is shitter than the dungeons.

Overall. A trash overrated game.

No.

Not with those visuals and water temple. Give it up nostalgia cuck.

No.

kys.

Always hated the field.

Feel better? Now go take your meds.

Great for it's time, still not a bad game to play now and again. It's fun, easy enough. Is it the best Zelda ever? No. And if you think so I will automatically dismiss your further opinions.

Who cares.

>can't give reason for why original is better

>Overrated?
Absolutely, 100%. To still consider it the best 3D Zelda is nothing but an insult to the games that came after.

>Groundbreaking?
Yes, it certainly was at the time. Revolutionary, even.

For the most part, yeah. Its age shows, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It still does a lot of shit that Zelda just hasn't ever done again at any other point. But do I think it still deserves the critical acclaim it has even nowadays? Not a chance.

>can't communicate without using greentext

Not a argument.

Not an argument.

Ha ha, memes.

What 3D Zeldas do you think have done better, and more specifically what do you think they did better? I feel like OoT really just had it all, great pacing, fun dungeons, great soundtrack, great plot, and just perfectly capturing the feeling of adventure. Ignoring all the "groundbreaking" things that it introduced I still think it stands above the other 3D Zeldas except maybe Majora's Mask.

An argument.

Its a great game and laid the foundation for 3D gaming like Mario 64, but has been outclassed by future entries in the action adventure genre. Its also not one I feel the need to go back to often, unlike how I feel with Majora's Mask.

>Overrated?
Yes, simply for the fact that it's blindly worshipped as the greatest game of all time.

>Groundbreaking?
It introduced context sensitive actions, which is an incredibly important development, plus it laid the foundations of pretty much every modern 3d action adventure RPG. It's an important milestone.

>Does it still hold up?
I never played Ocarina of time until this year (on my old N64), so you must appreciate that I played it without any sense of nostalgia. It has some fairly archaic aspects coming from the old 8 and 16 bit era consoles, but what really surprised me was the high level of quality, everything feels refined and fleshed out, its pacing is strong and nothing feels out of place or badly thought out. So I suppose the answer is yes, it does hold up.

IT BROKE NEW GROUND

I play it every now and then even today
Do a lot of glitch and sequence breaking runs which are fun and challenging.

It's controls and camera are really dated however though. While I don't mind it because I grew up with and understand it, I can see why kids these days think it's overratted and shitty

best game I played over the years in my personal video game journey

3DS remakes ruined everything about the N64 games art direction

>muh darkness
What exactly did it ruin?

It reminds me of Alttp which it's objectively a better game.

After seeing how many things were left in tcrf and how none of them were addressed in the supposed 3ds 'remake', I lost interest in it completely, it's a good game yes, but you can only play it once.

it's aged, that's not up for debate, but I still enjoy the game, the gameplay remains solid even if it technically shows it's age.

I love it to bits.
Truly a remarkable game in the entire history of video games.

Besides my obvious "nostalgia" for it, saying that as I still replay it almost annually, I have also seen numerous newbies pick OoT up for the first time in very recent years, and greatly enjoy it.

There's so much good, something for everybody, and it still acts like a proper video game.

>What exactly did it ruin?
Bloom, piss-filters, pastel color palette, totally moronic green-tint evenings and mornings, all red blood and torture devices removed, Gerudo symbols (again) censored ...

It used to be my favorite game ever when I was a kid, until I 100%'d it and burned myself out on it. Any time I try to start it now it's just the most boring shit ever. I 100%'d it over ten years ago and I still can't force myself to play through it.

Same shit happened with RE4. Except with RE4, I still think that game actually holds up and its problems aren't as glaring as OoT's.

Still holds up gone today, but only if you played it back in 1998. If you are someone giving it a try for the first time today, you probably won't enjoy it. My kids liked it, but games today have held their hand so much they had no clue what the fuck to do. They enjoy BotW a lot more.

For the last time, you autists, games do not age. A good game from 1989 is still good today, a bad one from 2001 still sucks now.

Could still be considered the best games of all time. Pretty much the most influential game ever that isn't Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario 64.

Generational groundbreaking

Just like alttp before as well as ff7 and mgs twisted metal descent myst pokemon doom etc etc

Might be to different for 2d old school fans
And kids born after will never understand why but it was one of the best games from that time. I would consider the gameplay superior to modern zeldas.

What I want is a 2017 version with the same atmosphere and the same gameplay but better graphics different story and a bigger world

>games do not age
Yep, hasn't aged a day

I do those things in my mind. Its called magick but a game has never allowed me to feel that

The only thing that has aged is difficulty so much that games are not difficult at all. All psx games are harder than all modern titles

>the only thing that has aged is difficulty
Wrong. The controls in the first Tomb Raider are noticeably more unresponsive than its sequels. And I get that the argument is that they were always unresponsive, but it was far less noticeable back then because we didn't have the sequels to compare it to. By that metric I'd say it's aged.

What are you talking about, you dumb faggot? Tomb Raider (1996) is a timeless classic. I still replay it on my Saturn every now and then.

>playing literally the worst version of the game
>more than once
Your opinion is fucking worthless.

I got it on 3DS and found it alright. All the sidequests and interactions are wasted on me since I'm not going to walk for 5 minutes just to maybe get one. The combat and enemies are ok but some like the big skeletons have janky as fuck hitboxes, the dungeons are mostly good but have some things I don't like (if you do things in incorrect order it can get very boring very fast, like going up the main path in the forest temple without all the keys you need to progress).

The adventure aspect is its strongest suit, but doesn't carry it entirely. I took a break and haven't come back for a while because the 3 big skeletons in the forest temple killed me through my shield and I'm not keen on climbing for 5 minutes just to get back there. Started Link's Awakening (tried it out years ago after beating the first game, but bounced off) and it's a lot more clean and easy to enjoy.

I also own the game on PSX and PC. You're the one whose opinion is shit because you think gamessomehow magically get worse as time goes on.

>Overrated?
Yes. The items are all pretty cool except for Ice Arrows which are essentially useless except for some minor stuff and the dungeons are glorified hallways.

>Groundbreaking?
At the time? Yes, definitely. It was one of the first 3D Action/Adventure games and the first 3D Zelda.

Casually? Somewhat. It's by no means a bad game but I never really liked it casually. However if you can sequence break and come up with challenges that you think are cool it is a bottomless pit of fun

This is why it is more difficult modern games have n0thing to learn

>actually dying in a 3d zelda game
jesus christ

>magically
No, when games release that objectively improve upon aspects of another game, it means the game before it has aged because of that. There's nothing "magical" about it. It's just something that happens as time goes on. Are you really this fucking stupid?

This. These retards think that games get worse with time, when they are simply too dumb to play any games at all other than maybe casual tablet games.

Not overrated, maybe oversaturated. Does it hold up today? Yes, I didn't play the game until a couple of years ago for the very first time and it is to this day one of my favorite experiences ever playing a video game.

You'd have an argument if you're saying it's difficult by design, but it's not. It wasn't intended to be that way, as evidence by its sequels fixing these problems. It's difficult because the controls have aged poorly.

>gamessomehow magically get worse as time goes on.
They don't, but the standards for accessibility change over time. Warcraft I isn't exactly lighting the world on fire these days with its four unit selection limit.

I wouldn't call it groundbreaking or overrated. It's a really comfy adventure. I think it still holds up well too, considering the first time I played it was using an emulator back in 2012 or so.

I didn't end up finishing it, but more because I didn't have a pad for my computer at the time so getting through some later areas was becoming a real slog.

I've never played a tablet game in my life user. And I never said it got worse with time, maybe read how I liked Link's Awakening despite it being older?

It's likely the best game I've ever played. It's a true tossup between Ocarina and Majora's for me. I love the fuck out of Majora's but it's really hard to deny Ocarina when it has so many more dungeons/temples.

I played it for the first time last year, since I was never into Zelda much growing up.
Very solid game. I can see why it receives high praise.

His contention is in the fact that "aged" is a terrible word to use to describe it. Milk and wine literally do become worse and better (respectively) with time. The same game product does not change over time.
>hurr but another game that came out later was better
Cool, play that one then. Call the old games "dated" instead as it's a far better descriptor that won't get you in these autistic arguments.

9th greatest game of all time

Majora's Mask surpassed it in all manners, with the exception of the dungeons. The latter 3 are better in quality than any dungeon in OoT but there are too few of them.

It wasn't overrated and was foundationally amazing for establishing the framework for the transition from 2D to 3D so well, as well as setting many precedents for games to follow.

I think it still holds up today as an excellent game, but some of its appeal of being "the greatest game of all time" is now nostalgia and that a newer gamer would be more focused on the features that were more limited or absent.

>Call the old games "dated" instead
>hurrrrrr I'm pedantic shitposting and no one can stop me

The response times for inputs aren't that faster in the later TR games. They just have less starting and ending frames for animations. Outside of that they play the same.

Yeah, it all comes down to personal tastes and what you prefer in a Zelda game. I could see why people would prefer one over the other.

I agree. But those animation frames make all the difference. Between TR1 and TR2, the sequel is a better feeling game.

I was 14 years old and it was the first 3D game I played.
It blew my mind.
It blew the minds of my parents.

The aesthetics etc of this game are literally a part of who I am.

Good game, I prefer Majora though.

>The aesthetics etc of this game are literally a part of who I am

>The aesthetics etc of this game are literally a part of who I am.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Wtf? Even my gf, who is pretty bad at games btw., doesn't have any problems with the controls in TR. Maybe you guys just suck at games worse than a girl (literally)?

One of the best speed-games of all times.
youtube.com/watch?v=WAtn0GQfbmw
So much potential, so many routing possibilities. The optimal order strays so much from the intended one, it takes weeks or even months to route a longer category.

>Even my gf
>implying

You know damn well that's the entire reason people get up in arms over the whole "aged" argument to begin with. Stop using that word and you won't have to deal with the pedantry.

>The aesthetics etc of this game are literally a part of who I am.
What exactly do you mean by that?

Why can't you faggots just deal with the word aged? It's a perfectly apt word to use in the situation.

this

I dont know exactly desu.
I had stopped playing vidya for years.
While I was serving in the military, in a refugee camp I actually had flashbacks of Zelda etc sometimes.
I even became friends with an officer who was into Zelda, hahaha.

I did not mean to sound dramatic, is nust that OoT for better or worse is literally a part of me.

It's an IQ thing. Only complete brainlets would argue that games age.

I've already explained that to you and given you an alternative. I'm not even the person you were originally arguing with. I was simply explaining why they get anal over it. The fact of the matter is that people do get up in arms over it and as long as you continue to use the word aged you will continue to get into these pedantic arguments.

Well, I definetly am not the sharpest man around, I am just trying to be honest.

>overrated?
to a degree yes.

>groundbreaking?
for it's time? absolutely so, this and super mario 64 pretty much set the standards for 3D games.

>does it still hold up.
i never played the game on release since i couldn't get it, so my first experience with it was later on the GQ with the master quest remake, do note i played link's boat adventure before i played this.

the game was perfectly playable, pacing was great, and besides the graphics, it worked and felt perfectly fine, it definitely withstands the test of time

that fucking backflip rupee in ganondorf's castle though, i actually had to look online how to grab that, who the fuck thought it was a good idea!?

The most overrated game of all time. Remembered fondly by people who still eat children's breakfast cereal.
Any game which you have to actively try to die because it's so easy can't be a good game.

literally never played this until like 2 years ago. The game is god tier. Only problem is fighting fast moving enemies with tank controls while they can jump around willy nilly

Overrated,still a good game always hated the empty overworld, malon best girl

Can you believe that when those graphics came out I was blown away.

One problem with modern games is the programmers forget to add crazy hit detection with all the new games that come out. Cs 1,6 had a better hit detection pixel perfect. A lot of modern games throw this out of the door

It feels like one of the few games to really nail the concept of going on a big adventure to save the world. The menu system could have been better (though it was an upgrade from its predecessor) but other than that I can't fault it for anything.

I share your opinion

>Overrated?
Yes, quite a bit.

>Groundbreaking?
Yes, I'm sure it was at the time.

Yes, its a good game.