Is it wrong to view Japanese characters as white? I know they're not actually white, they're Japanese...

Is it wrong to view Japanese characters as white? I know they're not actually white, they're Japanese, but they look white to me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q_Xd2xLAjDM
youtube.com/watch?v=bfbixJlZyJg
dictionary.com/browse/white
quora.com/How-common-is-it-for-a-Japanese-person-to-have-blue-eyes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the reason people view them white is because most people are so used to seeing white people in all their forms of media that they become the default for all characters. in Japan, everyone sees anime characters as Japanese because they mostly consume Japanese media, whereas western regions see them as white.

they're actually all japanese. they just don't all have black hair and brown eyes because then they'd be difficult to differentiate and all look the same, mushi-shi is a perfect example of this. that's why they still have japapnese names regardless of their appearance.

despite the fact that this has been proven on numerous occasions, people will insist that they're all white because some people unironically believe that japan is obsessed with white people, despite the fact that many of them are xenophobic and, outside of maybe fetishising a few races here and there like most people do, they see japanese culture as inherently superior to western culture

Oh my gosh who fucking cares stop making everything about race

fuck off Sup Forums

Wasn't there actually a study where different ethnicities all saw certain animated characters as their own ethnicities? Or am I misremembering?

Oh shit did he die?

Actually people see them as white because the japanese depict them as white.
They like to make their MCs stand out from the crowd and thus they like to add japanese non-traditional characteristics to them: Colourful hair, bigger eyes, outlandish clothing basically making them as non-conservative as possible, westernizing them to a degree.
And no I'm not saying they're actively implying they are white people, I'm saying they're making them "more interesting" japanese people by adding these traits to them

BAH GAWD THAT BEAR HAD A FAMILY!

Most Kingdom Hearts characters are white though. Only some of them like Kairi and Xehanort look asian. For games with Japanese looking characters see Persona, FFX, Yakuza etc.

I refuse to believe Link is japanese. specially when he lives in a vaguely european fantasy Kingdom

he's a japanese person in a vaguely european fantasy kingdom

Japan doesnt give a shit.They fetishize these features because they like them.
Only people who give a single shit about it are people trying to seem progressive by nitpicking silly shit like this.

If it's a game set in a fantasy world they sure as hell aren't Japanese unless they're from obligatory asian/japanese land/village. If they have a Japanese name they're probably Japanese, is it really that hard to understand?

What would be interesting would be if research had been done into what race Japs think their weeb-characters look the most like?

Do Japs actually think the standard anime-character looks Asian, or do they think they're playing as white people?

Are they able to distance themselves from it far enough to say "it just doesn't look like any existing race"?

spbp

Rainbow hair and eyeballs the size of baseballs aren't European traits though.

White people are typically unaware of the idiosyncrasies peculiar to their faces such as deep set eyes, prominent brow ridges, and thick, high nose bridges. This is because they live in societies where all these traits are normal, or "default". Objectively speaking, JRPG facial features can be characterized as "flat" and "neotenic" whilst lacking any of the idiosyncrasies of Caucasian faces. Their eyes are also noticeably slanted and lack tear ducts. To be honest I think its pretty clear that JRPG characters are modeled after japanese actors/idols/celebrities in general, but maybe its because I'm a drawfag.

Most anime characters have round eyes. An insult for whites among Asians is "round eye". Most anime characters are white. It's an objective fact. They love whites I guess

objectively false, the Japanese will sometimes say white people have drooping eyes (slanted downwards), but they never say they have "round" eyes. Probably because no one actually has round eyes.

>White people are typically unaware of the idiosyncrasies peculiar to their faces such as deep set eyes, prominent brow ridges, and thick, high nose bridges.
Thisu.

this

holy FUCK

youtube.com/watch?v=q_Xd2xLAjDM
They mostly see the characters as asian, unless they have european features like this guy's chin and cheekbones.

That's actually quite interesting. So if an anime character has blue eyes and blond hair he tilts more towards European, and if he has purple eyes and green hair that's more Asian?

It's almost unique how they don't actually use skin-color to make these decisions, as that'd be the first thing I'd go to when classifying like this.

I always wondered how Geass characters could see the difference between Britannia and dirty 11 scum considering they all look exactly the same

I don't think that's it. Sailor Moon has blue eyes and blonde hair. She's Japanese. I think the distinction's more in the facial structure.

If you want to try and apply reality to manga for some reason, anime characters have died hair. Pink, white, blue, green hair which is so common in anime isn't natural.

japanese not being white is like africans not being niggers.

Their skin is definitely white, just like italians, russians, french you name it. They just don't want to be connected to the caucasians because thats not mainstream atm.

When you watch enough anime, eventually you get used to the rainbow colors and start associating them with personality traits instead of race (i.e. red hair is aggressive, pink hair is air-headed, etc.).

As for skin color, Japanese people do commonly have light skin. The average skin color is darker compared to most European countries but most of their idols have white skin, for example.
youtube.com/watch?v=bfbixJlZyJg

>Asians don't have sunken eyes
How does that even work? Is that what people mean when they call them pan-faced?

Italians are not white.

That's not it at all. Japanese are Mongoloid type, Europeans are Caucasoid type. Their skin is paler than a lot of other Mongoloid ethnicities, but it's not white the same way Europeans are (yellowish as opposed to olive or pink).

Yeah but you can categorize them as white, just by looking at them. In the end, there is no rule for being "white", it all comes down to appearance and some japanese definately look white.

Keep on talking out of your ass,but have you looked at bavarians in germany? If those are white then sure as fuck italians are white. And if you stay close to the alps and not go down to fucking siciliy their mostly also white. Like I said most people don't want to be connected to caucasians, but "white" is just a describtion for humen that have pale skin.

newfag

Going purely by skin tone, sure, the Japanese are generally yellow-white. Even tan Japanese aren't really outside the bounds of tan white people.
When people say "white," though, they generally mean Europeans, not literally having whitish skin. This is also the reason North African and Arabian Caucasoids aren't considered white despite being somewhat similar to southern Europeans.

it works like this

The only whites in europe are anglos and scandis.

>anime characters
>pale skin
>different color eyes and hair

>japs
>yellow skin
>black eyes and hair

totally asian my fellow weebitors! glorious nippon cant have inferior complex! begone white devil nobody likes you #impeachtrump

t. schlomo shekelbergstein

Heh.

>eyes level with cheeks
>small brow ridge
You know, I never really noticed that. I guess I just subconsciously filed it under "Asian" without actually seeing it.

calling only people from certain countries white has started because other countries don't want to be connected to "white" countries especially germany in europe e.g.

So when people say, hey your white and because of that..., they go, no I'm not white, I'm X!

People rarely use "white" in Europe.
It's an American thing.

But that's just dissembling. It's a dishonest attempt to dodge racial categorization, as you described. None of those people would deny their European-ness. German, Polish, Italian, English, are all European ethnicities, and in the European diaspora (most prominently in America) "white" is the term for "non-specifically European."

Those eyes are terrifying.

dictionary.com/browse/white

(of human beings) belonging to a group marked by slight pigmentation of the skin, often of European descent.

Or it could just be the common interpretation which is factualy wrong.

Crown prince why are you beating up that 11, oh fugg I mean 11 why are you beating up the crown prince

>ignoring the actual physical appearance

Theres a few reasons why normalfags have a strong visceral disdain towards anime, and this is one of them. Most normal white people think anime characters look like aliens or deformed babies, but countries that technically hate Japan like China or SK will still readily adopt the art style and use it for themselves.

It's because most of the time they are white. Loom at demyx, made by a japanese dev but check out those eyelids bud

When they make slanty eyed Asians they are always something other than Japanese.

Why are people in this tread so fucking retarded?

Being "white" in regards to race, has literally nothing to do with skin complexion or color as it's synonymous with the caucasoid (or caucasian for retarded Americans) race, which in itself includes people with pretty much every skind color there is.

You could at most argue that "true whites" are just those sub-groups with pale skin that inhabit Europe, but that's another discussion.

Point is, you'd have to be severely mentally challenged to claim that the Japanese could in any shape or for be regarded as "white" just because they tend to have very pale skin. By that logic, you'd also have to accept mulattoes as whites, because they can, in some cases also have pretty white skin.

Are you literally this stupid?

probably not the best example, Demyx has a pretty noticeable epicanthic fold. Also, if you draw a line from one corner to the other, you can see he's got slanted eyes.

but that would mean that finnish people and slavs aren't white because they also have that feature

is this what you're saying

Explain why.

he has double lids in OPs pic

why are you replying to me i said absolutely nothing about skin color.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to reply to anyone.

Anime is a weird grey zone when it comes to race, you have japanese cartoons portraying more jap looking people but you also have the american stereotype showing up here and there. Its hard to say what race they are because the artstyle was heavily inspired by western sources while focusing on simplicity to make animation easier.

FICTION
I
C
T
I
O
N

>Being "white" in regards to race, has literally nothing to do with skin complexion or color

Even if what you say is right this is factualy wrong for starters because in that case being white is still part of why people describe them as white.

But fact is, only because people love to make up this "race" called "white" which is made of every white entity that seems fit in europe and all the pale skinned americans doesn't mean that this shit is fucking right.

I hear people go as far as saying yugoslavian people arren't white, that's downright retraded.

This is the 2nd DANCE WATER DANCE thread we've had tonight with no sign of stopping.
Go on...

Why are americans so obssessed with race?

because blacks have been trying to destroy the country since they got the vote.

he has double eyelids in both pics, double eyelid and epicanthic folds are two separate things. There are also many different kinds of epicanthic folds, pic related has the kind similar to demyx.

As much as "It's ok to be white" was a prank, it still showed the absolute state of america.

anime characters have simplified features, it's normal to fill the blanks with whatever you are more used to

Demyx is a shitty retard

>Even if what you say is right this is factualy wrong for starters because in that case being white is still part of why people describe them as white.

>But fact is, only because people love to make up this "race" called "white" which is made of every white entity that seems fit in europe and all the pale skinned americans doesn't mean that this shit is fucking right.

I literally can't understand what this is supposed to mean.

>I hear people go as far as saying yugoslavian people arren't white, that's downright retarded
That's funny as you're replying to a Yugoslav right now and it'd be very laughable if anybody told me I wasn't white.

>Jap
>blue eyes

oh yeah now i see the line. Anyways, this just means he's half white or something. Not sure how double eyelids inherit.

>non-american inquires about race obsession in America
>burgerclap immediately deflects blame to black people
You can't make this shit up folks.

Then you're quite stupid.

ciganin

Hapas are literally disgusting desu.

that is the darkest jap i've ever seen

Honestly who gives a fuck.

This is a white anime character yet it looks just like any of the ones who are supposed to be Japanese. Animations have very simplified character features that almost make it a moot point.

Because we're unfortunately forced to deal with members of other races on a day to day basis.

Despite memes, the worst country in Europe for race is still like 85% European (and of one ethnicity, in fact). Meanwhile most urban centers and increasing swathes of the countryside are non-European enough that you encounter people of other races regularly. Additionally, certain people with an interest in a lack of racial and national cohesion have pushed the meme that "American" means anything other than a European settler group. As far as I know, Australians don't consider abos or Chinese to be real Australians, but many Americans do consider blacks and mestizos with American citizenship to be Americans.

WE WUZ ANIME AND SHEEIIIIT

we're talking about vidya here

still not a jap

what is she? both pics though

quora.com/How-common-is-it-for-a-Japanese-person-to-have-blue-eyes

Oh wow 5 people have blue eyes! They are totally Japanese now.

blue eyes requires mixed blood in japan

nvm this one
i read the ho had surgery sp the eye color is probably photoshopped

@397139830
you got your indisputable answer so fuck off shite bag

did you not read the part where they have to be mixed race to have blue eyes

wow calm down faggot, I'm just providing some article. sorry that I proved you wrong I guess.

actually he's not white or asian, hes a character from Kingdom Hearts. The point is the physical features are based off of japanese people. The colors are based off of skittles.

that wasn't written anywhere. improve your reading comprehension skills and try again.

not him but see see

>that wasn't written anywhere. improve your reading comprehension skills and try again.

try again user

who are you quoting

Why do non-whites get so triggered when faced with the fact that having colored eyes and colored hair is very rare for them compared to whites?

Their knee-jerk reaction is always to aggressively spam pictures of the rare exceptions. The same people will later go on and call a character whitewashed for being given blue eyes or light-colored hair.

well if there weren't any blacks in America no one would be talking about race

post a screenshot of where you think the quora post said "they have to be mixed race to have blue eyes" and I'll demonstrate to you why you're wrong.

who are you even quoting

Guys, the reason you see those characters as white is because white is the default in your mind. Ask a Japanese person what they look like and they'll always tell you they look Japanese; that's the default person to them. White people have features like large noses and square jaws that stand out to them.

>White people have features like large noses and square jaws
what
jews and arabs have large noses, not white people