Good video card for 1080p?

This video card is on sale near me for a little under $200. It's a 3GB overclocked gigabyte 1060. It's probably good enough for 1080p, but I haven't had to buy a GPU for ages so I'd like a second opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/articles/bestgraphicscard/
logicalincrements.com/articles/graphicscardcomparison
youtube.com/watch?v=y1RWItff0eQ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137122&cm_re=rx570-_-14-137-122-_-Product
youtube.com/watch?v=gEm87K9iPdM
nvidia.com/en-us/gtc/
youtu.be/KJqJKuucZ2U?t=4m13s
youtube.com/watch?v=KJqJKuucZ2U
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3646vs3649
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Its perfectly fine for 1080

If you're going to buy a 1060 buy the 6gb version.

>3GB
Many games require more, I had a 780 and had to upgrade for 1080.

If you can't spend more, you'll be fine. Wind force cards are very well made imo

ive got a windforce 980 and id assume they use the same fans
the fans on mine are clicking and shaking with bad bearings after a year

Just don't go below the 1050ti

I got the 2gb1050 when it came out bc suuuper cheap, and although it runs most games on med/high settings, I should've invested the extra for the ti

Which is it?
Can't honestly. The prices are still too high due to crypto. If I can find them cheaper at black friday I will try to get a 6gb card.

logicalincrements.com/articles/bestgraphicscard/
logicalincrements.com/articles/graphicscardcomparison

even 1050 Ti is a better choice, 3GB VRAM is going to cripple the performance in many games

No one was talking about 1440p dumbass dipshit.

>people still shill for the 1050ti
I really don't get this. Look at the bench marks. The 1060 3GB handily beats the 1050ti. You act like VRAM is everything when it really isn't - it's super rare the lack of VRAM will cause an issue in a game.

Not really a big difference.

Well not everybody can afford to shell out for the 1060.

I'd hardly call it shilling...

Avoid 3GB and the "it's enough for 1080p" meme. Resolution doesn't even need that much ram but everything else does especially texture quality. Rise of the TR, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Siege, Mankind Diveded can very easilly use over 5GB of RAM.

>3GB
Don't do it user, it's a fucking goddamn trap.

If you can't afford the 6GB version (which is not just double the VRAM, it's got more shaders and runs a higher clockspeed) then get a 960 4GB or an RX470/570 4GB (if the prices are right for the AMD cards)

youtube.com/watch?v=y1RWItff0eQ
Nothing wrong with 3GB, get it OP

200?
where?

>1060 3GB
>play at high settings, 60+FPS with stutters and FPS drops

1050 Ti
>play at high settings, 40+FPS with no stutters

I think the choice is obvious

RX570 4GB is back down to $229 (still $30 more than original SRP)

Do I really have to explain everything to you morons?

You want 1050p upscaled, you get 1050ti
You want 1060p, you get 1060
You want 1070p, you get 1070
You want 1080p, you get 1080

Come on people, It's not rocket science.

I don't even understand what the origin of this bait could be. Some dude on Sup Forums going nuclear?

>40fps
> no stuter

You'll get judder because it's not divisible by 60

How can amd even compete with their 480p and rx480?

link or bullshit

still les noticeable than actual stutters

You either get 1050 TI or 1060 6GB, there's nothing worth it in between

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137122&cm_re=rx570-_-14-137-122-_-Product

3gb is fine for 1080p in 99.99999% of games unless you really love using 4k texture packs

>4k texture packs
>I have no idea what I'm talking about
it's not just the textures you retard, shadows, anti-aliasing, view distance, fucking everything takes VRAM. Soon you'll be to forced to play at the lowest settings to avoid massive stutters

I just wish there was a GTX 1060ti.

They don't. That's what they put inside switch, lmao xD

>americuck site
it's fucking nothing

Is this bait? Please tell me this is bait. All of those put together still have barely the same impact compated to a high resolution texture pack. 3gb is more than enough for 1080p and there is masses of evidence to back that up both from graphs and on YouTube videos.

>american site
god bless this country

This, if 1063 was worse than 1050ti, it would have been less pricey.

>gives an example of the least demanding AAA game released this year
Also average FPS doesn't show stutters

>vega doesn't even crack 100 FPS
kek, fuckin AMD cucks

Where else do they use US Dollars?
Why would anyone care about shit yuropoors?

Wait for 1070 price to drop.

Vega really was a shitshow, but it's known why now.

>least demanding
>the biggest vram hog this generation

Yet none of it matters as this isn't 2005. The 970 had only 3.5gb of full speed gddr5 and not a single person had a problem with it that could be concrete linked to the vram and the card was the most popular gpu in the world till the gtx 1060 3gb/6gb. Drivers aren't shit at memory management any more.

>Using a GTX 1080 Ti, which has 11 GB of VRAM, we tested the game's memory usage.

>VRAM usage with "High" textures is very reasonable and barely exceeds 4 GB. Once you download the high-res texture pack and pick the "Ultra" setting, memory usage is roughly doubled, topping out at slightly above 9 GB - at 4K resolution. However, if you take a look at the benchmarks on this page, there is very little performance lost from enabling Ultra textures, even on cards with less memory.

>My theory is that the game tries to fill up the VRAM by as much as possible, with the majority of textures never or rarely being needed. Considering that ALL Ultra textures - all the textures for all the maps, enemies and every piece of equipment - amount to just 10 GB, it seems like a reasonable assumption to make because it's impossible for a scene to use all those assets at the same time.

Happy owner of a 1060 6GB, trust me OP. It won't fail you. Runs most of the games on Ultra, do not fall for the ''1060 is outdated''meme. As long as you get the 6GB version it should suffice for at least four years.

If there's not enough vram, where would the game store exceeding data?

it was meant for the ps2 but the development dragged on for too long.

>1080p requires 4GBs VRAM
>GTX 1060 3GB runs the game at nearly 60FPS

Something's fishy. Does this confirm the 1060 3GB stutters a fuckload?

If there's a sale on a decent model, I'll get the 6GB one for sure.

Good luck and happy gaming my friend.

It gets swapped in and out of memory on the go as with any game. You think the whole games assets are loaded into vram at the same time? You'd need like 50gb vram for that. It just caches less assets in the vram if you have less vram and swaps in the new assets when needed as with any gpu.

That's basically what the 6GB version is.

Your normal ram.

>very little performance lost
>No mention of stuttering

Reading comprehension

It wouldn't stutter much then.
I think there would be a problem only if it stored data on hdd like insufficient regular RAM.

If you're with 3GB VRAM you're fucked

look at this stuttery mess

youtube.com/watch?v=gEm87K9iPdM

That seems kinda outdated, you're not finding those price on mid tier cards now

And 1080p 60fps gaming on 460 and 270 is outdated too or either means low/mid graphics on average

Either cheap out and get the 1050 Ti or save up for the 6gb

The 3gb is ass and will age much worse as games demand more VRAM.

I can't tell if you're retarded or just trolling but that's a cpu related problem. It's pegged at 100%. The vram doesn't even exceed 3000mb utilization in the whole video and the limit of that gpu us 3076mb. He has about 100mb to spare in the whole video.

Didn't bother to check the whole video, but it seems like that's a CPU problem because its always at 100% and not really because of the VRAM

Wtf, they said core i3 is enough!

>performance per dollar
dumbest shit i ever heard

Have you heard about price/performance ratio?

>He has about 100mb to spare in the whole video
>3GB VRAM card doesn't use more than 3GB VRAM
I don't get if you're baiting or you're actually retarded at this point
i3 6100 doesn't bottleneck 1060, idiot

I unironically use a 1080 for my 1920x1200 U2410, as long as you don't care about meme resolutions and have a good panel, the 1080p resolution family will last you quite a while if maxed quality and high framerates are all you want

Except nobody said that ever. Dual cores have always been the budget processors and it performed pretty well in the last couple years with the cheap Pentium which got a lot of praise due to its solid performance at a very low cost. Solid performance doesn't mean good performance however and the most it should be paired is is probably a gtx 1050 or rx 560 because it will bottleneck any other gpu really hard.

I know there's 2 versions of 1060, but the GTX 1070 is overkill for 1080p, whilst even the 6GB version of 1060 struggles to achieve 60fps in this resolution in Ultra, as seem here: It's simply not futureproof at all.

I think there's a huge gap between the 1060 and the 1070, which could be filled with a 1060ti.

nvidia.com/en-us/gtc/

>March 26-29

Wait for Nvidia Volta or Ampere

I have a Gigabyte 1080 Ti. It made me discover that the problem called "coil whine" existed. I'm selling this shit as soon as I can and I'll never buy the shitty brand again. Fuck.

>I'm a retard: the post

Well done showing how incompetent you are. Now show me anywhere in that video where it exceeds the 3072mb vram limit which could cause stuttering and show me how that obvious cpu stuttering isn't actually cpu stuttering even though all the evidence points to it.

>incoming deflection
>incoming damage control

it's the same thing. it's still stupid

B T F O
T
F
O

>requested VRAM = amount of VRAM game wants to use
give the fuck up retard, you have 0 understanding about PC hardware

>very little performance lost
45 to 55 is almost a 20% worse performance
I mean, I think 3GB isn't that much of a problem yet but using up to 4GB seems like a most likely target for devs because its more common (and it kinda sucks expending $200 to get the gimped version of a card)

I feel like Nvidia always makes the X60 series in a way that is not made to last for long, either because the performance or VRAM is limited or the card is gimped in some way

At least that's what it always feels to me, they make it on purpose to make you have to upgrade in few time. AMD cards seem more balanced in that performance tier and probably what makes them age a bit better

>Gigabyte
go evga or go home

evga has some shit cooling though
my 1060 from them stays in the lower 80s while gaming, damn near an AMD card at this rate

So, where's the statistics I asked for? Deflection trying to act like you were just pretending to be a retard doesn't work. I'm not even going to comment on what you just said because of how utterly retarded it makes you sound so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you were pretending to be retarded.

Chop chop. I'm waiting for those stats I asked for.

You lost, lad. Pack it up and go back to shitposting on Sup Forums.

youtu.be/KJqJKuucZ2U?t=4m13s

Only 7 FPS difference in Hitman cuz VRAM is crippling the performance, 3GB users in complete denial

i've had EVGA, Asus, and PNY cards and they all had coil whine too

I've had a gigabyte 1070 g1 for almost a year and a half now and no coil whine

Buying 3gb 1060 would be a tremendous mistake 6gb is only 50 more on amazon

t. 3GB VRAM users in denial

Only if have enough money for the top end builds every time.

>youtube.com/watch?v=KJqJKuucZ2U
Yes, your cherry picked image somehow negates ALL OF THIS. Think my bet is you're in the 16-18 age range, because your argument skills are awful.

how is the air flow in your case? at any rate if the temps are running high the closed loop liquid cooling might be an option. personally it wouldn't matter to me. evga's warranty is bretty gud. punish the shit out of your card all you want and get a new one

>50 fps on 1050 ti
>72 fps on 1060

>perfectly straight frame time line implying absolutely 0 stuttering

>vram utilization on gtx 1060 is 2.6 GB

Wow that 1060 is actually better than I though. That's nearly 25 fps ahead on the 1060. 1050 ti users are on full on damage control. Who'd buy that abortion gpu anyway it's not even better than a gtx 960.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3646vs3649
I'd still buy because it's the best card for its price. 1060 3gb is obviously better because it costs 30% more though.

Nigga

It says the 1060 is 73% faster and if I could get something that was 73% faster for only 30% more in price I'd buy that any day.

>punish the shit out of your card all you want and get a new one
that's what I was planning on

YOU IDIOTS. 3GB is not enough, stop defending it!!!

fucking kek

Not enough for gaming you say? Alright I'll take your work for it since you clearly have the evidence to back it up. Show me, let's say, 20 games from the last 5 years where a 1060 3gb is unplayable at 1080p with huge stuttering, crashes etc.

I'll wait.

One poorly optimized game shouldn't be used to judge an entire card's worth. I've played everything from Dark Souls 3 to the Witcher 3 on ultra settings with my 1060 3GB and nothing adverse has happened in the slightest.

It can't max the Witcher 3 out at 60FPS, so no it's not good for 1080.

>2 year old game runs well
>already a game in 2017 that destroys this card
>it's gonna last for several years bro
keep being in denial 3GB bros

A lot has changed with more recent games, Destiny 2 gets 10fps more with the 6GB version as did the new Dirt. But Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 see no difference. So it isn't really clear when you'll see the difference

I have a windforce 980ti and can confirm

>It says the 1060 is 73% faster and if I could get something that was 73% faster for only 30% more in price I'd buy that any day.
That's mostly because of benchmark shit, scroll down and check the games fps

Actually the 1060 3GB has a 19% over the 1050ti, and the 1060 6GB a 18% over the 3GB model

Its all Nvidia jewing you into buying "cheaper" models that will age like shit so that you're going to have to upgrade when their brand new 12XX series have slightly more VRAM and power

Works on my computer.

> tfw bought an r9 380x instead of an r9 390x

You only have yourself.

that was pretty funny, have a (You)