This is the best JRPG

Any counterargument?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SKlG8wRfU9k
youtube.com/watch?v=xf-OZdJs2m0
youtube.com/watch?v=-SWfzb98hZI
kotaku.com.au/2017/06/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

One of the best but the second cd felt rushed af.

Also
>speedboots

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOF4 is so comfy

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I also really like this music, it's so relaxing and peaceful
youtube.com/watch?v=SKlG8wRfU9k

I'm always surprised to see some foreigners know much more about Japanese stuffs than a lot of Japanese

it's ff8

ゼノブレイド2はよやりてえなぁ
youtube.com/watch?v=xf-OZdJs2m0
てか発売まで2週間切ってんのに金欠でソフトを買う資金がなぁ....
そこらへんに転がってるamiiboでも売り飛ばそうとしても買い手がなさそうだし…

How did they get away with this?

>played that scene when every member of my family gathered

>playing video games with your family

>the second cd felt rushed af
We didn't want a visual novel

>mfw I decided to just to the "bad" ending and then pretend that's how things actually ended
Fou Lou's my nigger, fuck Ryu, fuck Nia, and most of all FUCK YUNA

forgot pic

Why do gooks have the worst opinion on Japanese things?

Your opinion, please?

Earthbound/Mother 3, Chrono Trigger and FFIV/VI are better

>Earthbound/Mother 3, Chrono Trigger
Acceptable
>FFIV/VI
KYS

If you said Suikoden 2 we would become friends

Suikoden would be better if they had deep characters rather than trying to come up with 100
>Not liking FF
dishonerabre

>if they had deep characters
I've never seen such a great brotherhood between the protagonist and Jouy and Nanami

FF? That brand degrade JRPG to this extent, huge shit

Nobody thinks the new FF are good

>playing JRPGs
0/10 awful taste in games

-t. player of dota, csgo and world of tanks

This era was good...

I play none of those games.

What do you play
The SNES version of IV is shit, at least the US version

Live-a-Live is the best JRPG.

This is the best WJRPG.

>Live-a-Live
>JRPG

What else would you call it?

SRPG

Eh, the only SRPG thing about it is that the combat system involves a grid. In every other respect it's a JRPG. Even the battle scenarios themselves are small-scale like a JRPG, not large-scale like an SRPG.

Its unfinished

SRPG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JRPG

Liked xenoblade more, desu. Also, tactics ogre, final fantasy tactics, vagrant story, legend of mana. Ps1 sure got a lot amazing games though.

I prefer this bimbo's game instead OP.

Its not valkyrie profile.

LENNUS!!!

Yes, pic related.

Wait wtf this thread was on Sup Forums

>your love interest gets raped by the main villain

Too long.

Improperly managed budget which forced a half complete game.

At least most of the story elements were still present.

>there will never be another Ivalice game by Matsuno
Replaying FFT just reminds me how much better he was at crafting worlds with interesting gameplay in addition to it. FFT by itself is a fucking amazing game on story alone, but the actual gameplay is fucking incredible to boot, which really lets it elevate even higher.

>People to this day still think FFT is a good game despite the awful balancing which completely ruins the story

I agree and the OST is great

If nothing else it's the perfect representation of the JRPG genre:
>linear as fuck
>braindead battle system
>zero character customization
>dumb as fuck animu story that takes itself way too seriously and full of cheap melodrama
>main character is a whiny mentally unstable piece of shit
>supporting cast is bland and one-dimensional as fuck

That is not Digital Devil Saga, the actual GOAT.

Good try.

>I minmax every character, and bring Orlandeau at every fight so the balance is awful

>Not being able to beat Wiegraf despite the game giving you literally hundreds of ways to cheese his ass
The balancing in FFT is way better then TA; the only really broken shit appears when you're more then halfway through the game in like, chapter 4, because that's when you can do shit like CT4Holy and Wizard with Draw Out secondary.

You break the early game with auto potion, and you break chapter 2/3 with Martial Arts Ninja. FFT being an excellent game is mainly because the mechanics and depth it offers are fucking absurd, even if classes like Calculator are broken.

I literally only stock to the story line battles and would savescum past probably 50% of random battles and I was still overpowered
You may be able to buy into a game soley on depth, but with final fantasy I expect a story to pull me in as well as the gameplay

No. I've played Xenogears all the way through as an adult. It's a B-list FF spinoff that literally got rushed out the door unfinished. The platforming aspects and combat gimmicks pale in comparison to Super Mario RPG, a game Square developed several years earlier. The pacing is terrible even before the infamous second disc (at which point, if anything, it actually gets better). The level/world design is as linear and restrictive as anything released during that era.

And the story is a total mess. There are abbreviated or simply missing events left and right (check out the end of the Shevat sequence for probably the most egregious example of this, even stuff that seems very important like Elly synchronizing with Sophia's omnigear is missing and only referred to by other characters in dialogue) and many parts of the world, such as the church, feel rather undeveloped compared to other games with a similar focus on storytelling (like Tales of the Abyss or, obviously, Kiseki) - really the modern state of the world simply isn't explored enough in general, with very few locations to visit and not enough meaningful NPCs, leading to a sense of emptiness despite how detailed the setting and backstory actually are.

I've got your counter-argument right here.

You didn't like FFT's story? It's literally one of the only thematically consistent plotlines in the entirety of FF history, beyond actually being one of the very few jRPGs to pull off a serious political storyline without getting lazy and having an evil empire appear halfway through the game with a wicked emperor who's going to destroy the world with his seven forms. FFT actually gives you a reason to root for your protagonist, and WoTL adds a lot more characterization to several other special characters - so that way they aren't just kind of there during sequences, and you have a reason to want your heroes to succeed.

FFT's one of my favorite games of all time, both on a mechanical and story level, and I can't really imagine someone disliking the story that much. It's much better then most FF games.

This is the weirdest shit I've ever played... my vote goes for FF VII

Great story and characters. One of my favorite games, even though I haven't felt the need to play it in years. Don't want to ruin the nostalgia. Second half was indeed very weak, but still a good game.

It really isn't a special story. There's plenty of "Seeming political turns into secret demons controlling the authority stories in the world." When it comes to video games the story should meld together with the gameplay and like I said when I get a huge build up to some character deep into the game and I kill him in one turn it completely ruins the narrative for me

Sounds more like modern wrpgs.

Not him, but the FFT story is actually still pretty good. At the time, it was fairly unique, mature and violent for an RPG, with a lot of political intrigue that wasn't very common in JRPG's of the day.

Maybe in JRPGs, but like I said in plenty of media I've come across I seen that story before and it doesn't mess with the gameplay

Such as?

Name one released around the same time. We're talking about something that came out 20'ish years ago. You can't compare it to games that came afterwards, that's just unfair.

Baldur's Gate
Lol,j/k that game is fucking garbage.
Vagrant Story?

Game of thrones. Starts of political then evil demons come in and take over the narrative
I play it now, I'll compare it to now. You can say it was great for the time but that's just relative.

This is originally ff7. Imagine in an alternate dimension

3 years later, but desu, I've never actually played Vagrant Story. I bought it, but never opened it.

Baldur's Gate is a good game, though. Arguably better than 2.

Nigger, don't be dumb.

GoT had a videogame?

I said in plenty of media, not games, but yes it does.
>Don't be dumb
Why? It's called ageing. If my standards change then so will my thoughts on a game. I don't play the NES version of FF1 because the newer versions are better in every way

Your argument makes no sense, user. How many people do you think you can find that would say everything after 6 and 7 were better games?

Now I don't understand your argument. I'm saying the story and gameplay didn't mesh well because of the horrible balancing; I never said that about 6 or 7

You're not one-turning Wiegraf's duel in chapter 3, or the battle against Cuklain, or Isolde, or Elidibis, or any of the actually difficult fights unless you're actually an autismlord and you understand the game on a fairly decent mechanical level. The shit I mentioned isn't stuff a player just does CASUALLY; it's something they would do once they realize what's weak and what's strong, and what mixes well together. No normal first time player makes Ramza a Capricorn, turns him into a ninja, gives him a Chameleon Robe/Concentrate/Levitate to fuck up Wiegraf's AI solely to one round him. That isn't an ordinary move - that requires a fairly high understanding of how the FFT AI works, how all those items interact to dodge the AI, and how to make sure that Ramza can oneround him with those items. There's a lot of cheese in FFT to avoid obnoxious fights, but you're not one-rounding any of the duels without having done some very specific grooming of Ramza so that he is the god-king of 1v1, forcing his enemies to get one-rounded.

Weigraf was some what tough, but I'm talking about the very last chapter. Not a single battle did I every struggle once. The "defeat the leader" battles were particular pathetic. Ninja/Monk is incredibly easy to get and basically always good enough to break the game

>Any counterargument?
The second CD was rushed

FFT plot is TO lite.

It's more unfinished than ffxv

but it was better than XV

>No Suikoden 2
You are all trash

That's hardly saying much.

Takahashi already stated that Xenogears was handed a pure novice team at square. Based on remaining budget and time the original option was to end it at disc one with a cookie cutter ending but instead he made his team use the remaining time to bust their ass to get the full story into disc 2. Looking back at the xenogears story there's no way an end of disc 1 ending would have made the game as iconic as it is. And to this day he is proud of his decision.

Digital Devil Saga had GOAT music
youtube.com/watch?v=-SWfzb98hZI

Even the standard encounter theme was cool.

A good leader properly allocates his budget. Takahashi blew his load on the first disc and had to hobble together the second. He may be proud of it, but that doesn't mean it was the best choice

So he could have polished disc 1 and made a decent game but chose to turn it into a drawn out clusterfuck. Sounds about right. The only time this guy made anything playable was when Nintendo had him on a leash.

I remember reading somewhere that Square slashed their budget mid development to give more money to the FF8 guys. Not sure if its actually true though

kotaku.com.au/2017/06/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2/

Why couldn't he have just split the second half off into a second game?

I played xenogears last year right after finishing and thoroughly enjoying Xenoblade 1. the games story had so many more layers and on a much higher scale than Blade's. I enjoyed blade's gameplay more(Still not the best choice honestly) and level design was not as dated but Xenogears' world and characters felt so much more aesthetic in sprite form as opposed to those awful ugly 3D models they had going on in X1.

The story was mature as well not boiling down to muh shonen rising powah. Not to mention that it's kinda embarrassing that a PS1 game did the whole "This whole game is about scale" better than a game 2 generations ahead of it.

Seems like Monolith lost something along the way when they left from square to Namco and then Nintendo.

"Honestly speaking, what had happened is Xenogears as a project was staffed pretty much entirely out of new staff members, young staff members," said Takahashi, speaking through a translator. "Back then, we had the direction of, 'All projects take two years and that's when we need to get it done.' So on top of developing the game, we had to nurture and teach and grow these younger employees. Things like 3D were extremely new, which led to some delays in the schedule. It just wasn't possible to get everything done."

As it became clear that Takahashi and team weren't going to hit their deadlines, Square's higher-ups suggested that they just end the game after the first disc, when Fei and his team escape from Solaris.

"It was a rough way to end it, and I felt like if we do that, then the players will not be satisfied," Takahashi told me. "So we had a proposal -- I proposed that if we do disc 2 in this way that it turned out to be, we can finish the game with the current number of staff and the current time allotted for the schedule and the remaining budget we have."

So they turned disc 2 of Xenogears into the montage that shipped with today's game. Instead of playing through events like the world's mutation and the search for Fei, you just have to watch them. And it was Takahashi's decision -- so he could finish the story he wanted to tell rather than cutting it off after the first half.

"I do think my decision was the right one to make," said Takahashi. "Because if we had just ended at Disc 1 it would have been bad."

Now you dont have do open Shitaku

Kind of a nonsense reply. You can say that about most of the industry leaders including miyamoto. The difference here is that square felt that they needed the game out that same year(second), they were unwilling to delay the game or provide more resources so the devs decided to use that final stretch of time to complete the game by any means. Other devs have those luxuries.

If it was nintendo they would have delayed the game till was golden and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hell if it was nintendo it probably wouldn't have been a dev team full of greenhorns for a home console release either.

It's the best visual novel

Good games have been make on small budgets before. He knew that Square wasn't really that interested in the game but instead of trying to fit it into the specifications he splurged out to try and fulfil his dreams

>balancing issues make a game and it's complex mechanics a bad game
the balancing meme needs to end

Trails was the best thing this recent until Coldsteel. Even the falcom thread in/vg/ sucks hard.

Disc 2

It's not like disc 1 was buggy or anything. It was nearing completion when this was happening and disc 2 isn't a lot of game content. This decision was made on the same year the game was releasing I guarantee your spergy ass woulda shat on the game more if they pulled an ez pz disney ending at the end of disc 1.

>shitty war game
>shitty gameplay

Lol

That was the golden age of JRPGs, where literally everyone was throwing JRPGs at the wall to see what would stick and even come close to selling like FF. So getting one made was one thing, but sequels are another. At that time, companies were probably in the mindset that it would be better to just roll the dice on a new property then make a sequel to something with mediocre sales. How times have changed.

It ruins the narrative. The Mechanics aren't really all that deep either unless you've never played an rpg before

I found the pacing too slow, even for jrpgs and dropped it. Other than that, it was a good game, planning to finish it sometime