Starcraft 2

The game just went free to play yesterday.

Lets have a Starcraft thread where we help new players and talk about strategies

Other urls found in this thread:

us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21173629/starcraft-ii-going-free-to-play-explained-11-3-2017
youtube.com/watch?v=-yfMoIVTilo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why the fuck are you playing a 7 year old game

move the fuck on, jesus christ

not OP but why would being seven years old make a game unplayable or not worth playing?

it's a flawed ass game, 7 years have passed and it's still a flawed ass game. move on

Just think of all the extra BRBRBRBRBR and Russian scum that are going flood in. Literally unplayable at this point. OP must be baiting with this thread.

>always keep meaning to play it
>never do it
It's frustrating because strategy games have always been one of my favorite games, too. I must have started the campaign about half a dozen times by this point

Yeah, what kind of nerd plays anything other than the latest AAA games? Kill yourself.

Everyone always says this but can't explain why

how many gigabytes client downloads?

The game might be 7 years old, but it has still received support from Blizzard all these years, including expansion packs, revamped custom games, coop mode, other new features, etc. Its hardly an old game if you compare it to WoL launch.

what the fuck!

>Literally unplayable at this point.
1v1 is the only thing people care about. How does an influx of new opponents make a game "literally unplayable"?

Only Co-op is fun for me. I lack the drive to getgud at ladder, the game isn't really fun and it's repetitive as fuck. I only bought the game back in the day for the campaign.

why would you ever, ever play SC2 over BW

come play wc3, we need you

SIngle player is a disney tier cartoon for 10 years old kids, full of corruption, reedem and void like wow or dbz. Also epilogue is a just one big bullshit. it went from grimdark starter edition in sc:bw to my beatiful story about princess and her prince. Exception is protoss campaign
map editor is another clster fuck with great number of tools, but hard to use and gain knowledge how that shit works
Multiplayer improved patchfinding to this point, that bigger "dethball" of units wins. Such units are very fragile and straighforward. In most cases spamming 1st tier low cost units wins you game. Its kinda watered down sc;bw multi for dummies

thats a qucik rundown, you can easily google other complaints on sc multi/esports forums

I'm impressed with anyone who manages to play BW competitively, but its too hardcore for me to get good at. I prefer the larger unit groups and pathing in Starcraft 2 personally.

t. bronze player

You have to log in for 10 days and win a game every day to even get into ranked. No BR or Russian has the patience for that shit.

>wc3 battlechest is still 20 bucks

Go to sc2 community and read pros commentary about why they stoop playing sc2

Terran master race. Hold the line boys.

>Go to sc2 community and read pros commentary about why they stoop playing sc2

because it require skill, dedication and they msut mainteain their level to get anywhere near the high level and would rather player overwatch or any other easy game with more visibility and money?

>that bigger "dethball" of units wins. Such units are very fragile and straighforward. In most cases spamming 1st tier low cost units wins you game.
I disagree. You can easily beat a bigger army with the right army composition, defenders advantage, good micro, etc. Why did the opponent have a larger army than you in the first place? Did you forget to scout him, did you let his greed go unpunished? There are many questions to be asked.

The ''bigger army wins'' is often times true in all RTS games, but its a lot deeper than that. Some lurkers, widow mines, siege tanks, counter harassment to force the opponent to pull back his army can often times buy you enough time to catch up with him. There is always a huge comeback potential.

wrong

you only have to win 10 games, which also can be done in versus ai or coop and you dont have to login every day for 10 days.

brood war and wc3 are vastly superior games

Not really interested in PvP stuff because I'm not very good at RTS games, but how's the game for solo play? Like, Campaign, matches against bots, custom meme matches with friends etc. I play a lot of >Halo Wars 2 on my Xbox because it's easy enough to just set up a match against the AI if I have nothing else to really do. Can I get a similar (but obviously more in depth because PC) experience with SC2?

As big of a Warcraft fan i am, i only liked the custom games in Warcraft 3. (Tower defense, Dota, etc) The heroes ruined normal ladder for me.

wrong

>All you have to do to unlock it permanently is earn 10 First Wins of the Day in Unranked or Versus A.I. play
us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21173629/starcraft-ii-going-free-to-play-explained-11-3-2017

>mfw I pirate it
I just wanted to play it with Sup Forums

TvP is literally a dead matchup with this new patch. You can make pure stalker against bio, that's how stupid it's gotten.

> I'm not very good at RTS games, but how's the game for solo play? Like, Campaign, matches against bots, custom meme matches with friends etc.
It has a large campaign mode lasting several hours. A coop mode where you do campaign-like missions together with a friend. It also has a huge custom game community like Warcraft 3 had. And you can play normal games against the AI.

There is a ton of solo casual content in Starcraft 2.

Oh, cool. I recall playing some campaign on my friend's PC a few years ago, actually. I remember it being pretty fun. Might have to give it a DL and have a go.

I didn't like SC2 WoL as it didn't allow the same amount of wide fronts and micro management with high unit diveristy that Broodwar did and Blizzard made it worse with Heart of the Swarm and then worse again for Legacy of the Void. Right now the game revolves around making a giant ball of few unit types and throwing it into the enemy. There's little to no opportunity to flank, to split forces and do a drop somewhere else - any such strategies are all just a short phase of the game to stall the enemy economy before you transition to making the largest blob of units again. This is all fueled by overbearing macro. At high level play the game is not about building the right units and then preserving and using them well, it's about flawlessly executing economic buildup with little to no delay between steps to shave off total execution time, which in itself means spamming the same button combinations over and over each game to build up in a very static order. The base layout serves no purpose but to prevent a rush early on and then churn out a deathball of units. This blob then gives you one fight that lasts about 15 seconds before the outcome of the match has been decided. There's no rebuilding, there's no stalling anyone. In post-WoL SC2 you don't even build units with special abilities, just one or two. You don't even have to micro much as landing a single ability makes your blob win. You also never disengage again to reposition or regroup or lure the enemy into a backline. There's no strategy involved.
Broodwar was far slower, as such had more micro opportunities and larger frontline surfaces with staggered units and lots of abilities flying around to slowly decide the outcome over several minutes. SC2 is 10 minutes of repeated macro button mashing and 10 seconds interesting combat. I thought looking at the Remaster but it turns out nobody plays it so I didn't even bother.
I think the most fun anyone can have with SC2 is the Arcade and Co-Op mode.

Why are you posting on a 14 years old AIB?

What race did you play? That's not the impression i've had with the game. Maybe the 200/200 deathball is more common at lower leagues, but constant harassment is absolutely crucial at higher level games.

>2:55 Proxy oracle + shield battery allins.
>Broodlord infestor back in full force.
>Widow mines basically removed from the game.
I think i'm just gonna work on that backlog for about a month. Gonna be interesting to thing how much of the fresh meat will still be playing by than.

Whats the arcade like nowadays? What are the modes to play?
Is monobattle still a thing?

Not even F2P will save this game, compare the playerbase from now until next month

i love how the "muh brood war" players have absolutely no leg to stand on since Brood War is literally right next to starcraft 2 on the launcher and anyone can prove them wrong by accidentally clicking on the wrong icon

Why is Dota 2 so much better than Starshit 2?

I wonder what compells people like you that have no idea what they're talking about to post walls of text full of nonsense.

The ultra lategame in starcraft 2 tends to be too deathbally, that's right but everything else you said is wrong.

Too true. Everyone should be playing the new Star Wars: Battlefront II.

It is funny because the criticism you have laid out here is factually inverse of reality.
Have fun.

ITT people who's never used medivacs or prisms before

I don't know about that, there is a huge surge of new players right now

when is your sc2 painting arriving, user?

>in a 1v1
nigga you don't bond with them, you destroy them
No russian or BR is going to play any Starcraft for fuck's sake anyways.

A question to current sc2 players:

How important is builds right now? I couldn't be bothered to learn any builds back in WoL and I was hovering at plat-diamond through doing just whatever. Is it still possible to just improvise through everything and get a decent rank?

>The campaign
Why don't you play the multiplayer you sad man

I can't believe this game plays perfectly in my laptop. But installing it killed touch pad, any help?

That's hard to say, since there are a lot of levels in between having a perfectly planned build and sitting on one base for 20 minutes doing nothing.

You definitely need to keep up in expansions and economy properly and have an idea of when you should get your tech up, but I think you don't need a perfectly optimized build to make it to masters atleast.

However a well executed allin by your opponent might require a certain response and such, overall a good build is one factor of many that will make you play better.

It also depends on your race, since for example Zerg is more reactive, so builds are less set in stone, while terran can utilize a lot of pressure builds that don't require reacting to your opponent.

Terran on Diamond (EU) from WoL to LotV but stopped with the first LotV season, was burned out.
It's a dead game, nobody plays it and without a community you can never find a matchup with someone in your skill bracket. The old Broodwar players are approaching or in their 30s and the slower reaction times combined with less time to practice (again) make it pointless to get into it unless you're Masters / Grand Master material to begin with. You have only roughly 100 matches going on peak times in EU, most at the high end of the skill bracket. Between the long wait you will end up playing someone far above or below you a lot. Broodwar to any interested player is as dead as it was before the Remaster came out.
It's a deathball even earlier, just smaller size. As Terran you don't die to getting surprised by a build order, you die to having less units than the enemy in the deciding fight or doing a messed up engage. With LotV every faction has insane range they didn't need. Protoss had Sentries to block forces off and Colossi to kill your small shit but now with Tempests they don't even need that anymore. Why do Terrans have a Siege Tank and a Cyclone? Is it really fun for a Zerg to play against a Liberator? You can just counter most of the ground forces by ranged spam and all that matters is more ranged spam. What did shift is the type of units you spam but not that you spam them. You don't need to diversify, you just need to build more of the 2-3 units you need to win a fight.
Except that it isn't. Look at the most common matchups and build orders and you will realize that it's still about deathballing eachother, preferably in early stages. You don't win through harass unless the opponent makes a major mistake and has no idea what he's doing.

starcraft does not use a single bit of your video card, its all 100% based on the very first core of your processor

so its surprisingly good on laptops, all points considered

>sc2 is worse than bw because it has siegetanks
You totally know what you're talking about.

Since you refuse to check your "facts" on your own, even when 4 people call you out, here some help: Watch the deciding game 3 of the second series Gumiho played against serral at the WCS global finals to see how bullshit your deathballing argument is.

Of course sometimes there are games like game 3 in the first series Rogue and Neeb played where it turns into terrible deathballs which is indeed a flaw, though the exception rather than the norm. After Rogue lost that game he turned it around in their second series by using disruptive builds to prevent Neeb from getting the deathball, which you claim is impossible.

>drop marines on the mineral line
>FUCKING EARLY GAME MARINE DEATH BALL
>sneak in some zerglings
>FUCKING ZERG DEATHBALL
>plant a fucking pylon and cannon literally next to the enemy command center
>OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT CANNON SHOOT OUT ALL THOSE DEATHBALLS FUCK THIS GAME

Single player's been F2P for years. (I don't even care about MP.)

Fuck off we're full.

Let's play the demo.

Is it a good strategean to get into strategean?

it's fucking shit.

rts made for robots.

it's just so fucking barren.

Sc1 is miles ahead in every department.

>Chrono 4gate
>Chrono proxy oracle
>At 3 fucking minutes
>Archons/immortals by like 4-5

How do I inrease my apm? I played for a while and my apm is around 140 and I honestly can't imagine going above like 160 even if I trained much harder and optimized my shit.

>finally i can play with someone on my level
>still getting wrecked 10 minutes into the match

Where are the new players?

So is somebody gonna explain this shit or...?

how is it not flawed, I cant ever play it again because my school I work at 55k a year internet cant even reach the speeds to download the patch to the launcher to let me log in once a month so I can play single player. wtf were they thinking past "muh Piracy" for screw up not even allowing me to play single player

>Build 20 lings, 10 blings, 7 roaches, 6 ravagers to beat the early marine marauder medivac siege tank push
>Win the fight but lose workers because two liberators went around and killed ten drones
>Burrow banelings after he gets eager and tries to finish and kill 15 Marines stalling his push till I can get infestors

Muh one unit deathball with no casters or micro besides a move

Bronze league detected

its a hickey

jesus christ what do you even do with that apm?? I've gotten to diamond with 75

>Bw is better because micro and no deathball, different unit comps

So when flash moves across the map with 30 tanks and 30 vultures that's what? Pure skill?

take piano lessons
youtube.com/watch?v=-yfMoIVTilo

I recommend getting into the korean mindset to increase your APM.

Listen to korean music, buy the korean announcer pack, change the in-game language to korean and lower all the graphics to low quality. Once you mentally believe that you're a Korean, you can push yourself above 200 APM.

Literally worth playing only for the custom games

People say this but they never post any examples, what are some good SC2 custom games?

protoss have nipples now?
wtf?

Most of the shit that originates from W3
such as gemtd, mines n' magic or whatever the fuck its called
shit man let me just get the picture

Most of them are just cheap knock-offs from W3, renamed to fit SC2 like "Footmen Arena" to "Marine Arena" and stuff.
But its free, and can be fun_____ for a while.

massive retcon, they breed like terrain life now.

Any Mafia games running?

Last couple of times I looked nobody was playing :/

There are so many, i recommend looking through the list.

Starjeweled, Catch'N'Run, Hero line wars, Desert Strike, Squadron TD, Elemental TD, Ant colonies, Risk, and way more. These are just a few i tend to play. I would love some more Tower Attack games tho, those are my favorite.

fuck you playing mafia for in SC2 nigger
what the fuck are you doing with your life

Just make a lobby, people will join.

Here's the best way to improve at sc2.

Get your ass kicked in broadwar for a few weeks.
Come back to sc2, and everything is easy as fuck.

Literally me

ah yes, the esteemed broadwar

>hello i am killing videogames
thank u

>3 minute oracle in your mineral line
Basically, don't play this game untill they fix the fucking balance.

>Slavshit_living.jpg

Sorry about that.
But honestly, it works marvelously.
Or at least, it gives you the illusion that you're much more in control of your shit.

>check out the customs
>they're just a billion variations of TDs, survivals and other uninterested game modes
Well, ok.

it works the opposite going from sc2 to broodwar too.. even if you're GM in sc2, going back to bw will make you feel like a complete retard

Wasn't some dude fully remaking diablo 2 in it?

Eh, last time I played that it was really clunky and just not fun at all to play. Maybe it's different now, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

so anyone want to get a co-op match up or something?

i'm just going through the campaign, and it's ok but a bit boring.

US or EU?

US east

My condolences.

no please dont do this to me

you cant leave me alone with the BRs

besides the Russians will come for you sooner or later

i'm the only friend you have

Post your battletag.