Self-imposed challenge runs

Nuzlockes, Level 1 runs, base weapon only challenges, etc. Some may call them autistic but they're a great way to refresh your favorites.

What kinds have you done and what are your favorites?

Hotline Miami with only drill kills. More tedious than difficult for most of the game but I enjoyed it.

Only thing I do close to that is going for high ranks in games that have them.

Dark Souls level 1 Dickwraith run. Surprisingly only took about 10 hours to get to the Four Kings, but I never did get past them, so no low level Dickwraithing for me.
It did teach me an important lesson about souls in general though. I used to get mad when I lost 50,000 souls, but now I don't care because they're not as vital as I thought they were.

I did a 'true Curly' run and only used Machine Gun + Nemesis not so long ago, but I keep replaying it with different weapon usage anyway.

mandatory battles p4g on very hard. never again though. RNG was a bitch.

fuck your reddit spacing and postformat.
hotline miami and runier only melee runs.

Low money run
>Can't pick up refractor shards from dead reaver bots
>Can't abuse recycling trick for money
>No minigames to grind for money
>Only funds come from what you find in chests and holes in the wall and bosses

Actually makes the game a bit of a challenge since you can't end up with almost end game survivability after the first major dungeon

People were posting like that back in 2004 and it has nothing to do with reddit, it's because the reply box is tiny by default.

HelixSnake's captureless Mario Odyssey run was pretty interesting.
You can totally finish the game to at least 450 Moons without capturing any enemies except for 15 100% mandatory events.

Zelda Link's Awakening/Oracle of Ages/Seasons with 3 hearts (had to use a Game Genie to limit hearts).

These days I play games and challenge myself to have fun

I've yet to succeed

Had tons of fun doing things like this with RE4 and PE2. In RE4 I did things like TMP only, knife only (though there are a couple times you need to shoot) magnums only and things like that. PE2 was similar, like only using shotguns or police themed weapons or things like that.

I did something like this last time I played except I also only let myself use what parts I could buy from the shop, I was going for a 'broke and semi incompetent digger' run.

I like the KMS run but I can only do it on Easy, still working at it on Normal.

GH3 hard and expert mode with only 3 fingers. Stretching for some of those chords hurt.

Solo weapon run in action games like NG, DMC or Bayo can be fun. No upgrade runs on the other hand suck.

paper mario thousand year door

the challenge is you only play it once every 5 years so you can forget some of the sequences and pretend you're a kid again falling in love with the game and characters for the first time again

you lose once you realize the magic is gone and your brain is literally different and you;ll never feel that again.

havent gotten past glitzville yet with this challenge, maybe next time

>Mario Kart DS
No items, no snaking, no audio (you can listen to Eurobeat while playing which is great.)
>Pokemon
No items during battles, no stopping during a gym to heal, you can only capture pokémon to use in your party until the end of the game (slaves are fine though)
>Aria/Dawn of Sorrow
No bullet souls, fists only, clothing must be LUCK focused (I like to call this the Jojo run)

FF3 first crystal jobs only
I gave up on the boss rush at the end
It would have been doable with a bit more grinding but I just couldn't be fucked anymore

i tried this back in the GH2 days thinking it'd be easier than using my pinky
and then the series went full hog on the green+orange chords

when i replay a game i really enjoy i'll re-read all the text and play any tutorials and all that shit to get the 'full experience'. more often than not this actually impedes my enjoyment, but i can't stop doing it

I played Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on Revengeance difficulty with no upgrades for a full run. It was okay up until the two dual GRAD fights, those are almost impossible.

Playing Fallout and Elder Scrolls games as a Fists Only character is the only way I don't get bored by them.

Did the same. GRAD is a bitch, Sam was a cuck and Armstrong was nigh impossible for the first 20% of his health because you chip him for 0.2-0.3% and every move does 200% damage

Several JA2 v1.13 runs
>several handgun only runs
using pistols and dual pistols akimbo style
>stealth run
attacking sectors mostly at night, trying to clear without raising any alarms, mostly knife kills
>guerilla warfare run
other than starting gear, using only what I can scavenge from enemies
>nazi run
dressing my mercs into WW2 SS uniforms, giving them WW2 German weaponry and going up against modern army, "liberating the country"
>XEP624 run
liberating entire country using only XEP624 merc
>LMG run
each merc uses only some kind of LMG, only autofire harder than it sounds, ammo scarcity was a real problem, especially early in the game
>mortar run aka "What the hell is Geneva Conventions" run
several 6-man squads, each consisting of 1 merc with mortar and 5 mule mercs with backpacks full of HE and mustard gas shells

Don't ever play a Danger Mario run
You'll never feel the urge to play that delicious game again

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I plan on doing a Blue Mage only run. Never used the job, so I hope it's good.

Forgot to mention I'm playing Final Fantasy V.

V?
Blue Mage is broken in just about every game they appear in, except 8 funnily

I'm playing through fire emblem 6 ironman style right now. I've lost a lot of good units already and I don't have the right items for promotion so things are looking grim.

>Play Deus Ex like Quake
>Turn always run on
>Put absolutely everything into Heavy Weapons
>Max it out as early as possible in order to be able to sprint with heavy weapons
>Get the plasma cannon, GEP(Use white phosphorous rockets when you run out of standard ones), and flamethrower, disregarding the fact that there is virtually no room for anything else
>Consume first aid kits on the spot
It went just fine until I got to Area 51 and ran out of all my heavy ammunitions

Might&Magic VI with a party of 4 knights.

I did a low level/story battles only run in Tales of Symphonia, it was a blast

I've been playing Golf Story and only leveling the power stat. It looks goofy when your ball veers wildly off course before going where you aim it but it's mostly a benefit unless you get caught behind a tree and can't bend the ball around it.