Long...

>long, unskippable train ride where nothing happens and all you can do is walk around aimlessly for several minutes until it's over

Who the fuck thought this would be a good way to start a game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zLyJP_nH5Cs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>impatient, entitled, children attempt to play legitimately good video games
verily it doth cause the mind to ponder

It was awesome back then.
>HOLY SHIT. This isn't a pre-rendered movie I can move around.
I wouldn't think it's acceptable anymore unless it was a truly impressive sequence. And even then it needs to be skippable.

HOOK

LINE

AND SINKER

It's a good way of showing the player how fast things changed for black mesa.

Maybe if you weren't an impatient fucking 13 year old you'd realize not every game is call of duty run around and shoot nonstop.

Some games have a story to tell.

>unskippable

Open console and type "map c1a0"
Woah that was hard.

There was *nothing* like it before. You're just too young to remember when it was groundbreaking.

This was revolutionary at the time.

Stories had been told by pre-rendered cutscenes but you never had the sort of interactive, look around as much as you want type in game cinematic.

It showed that Black Mesa was such an interesting place that I'd have played the game even just working a regular shift there as Gordon.

they were trying to show off the engine. at that time nothing like this had been done.
you need to be 18 to post on this site

No one had shown such a massive and elaborate complex in that manner before. At the time it was groundbreaking in every sense. I remember trying to memorize what I saw so I could compare it to the damage which would inevitably occur when going back through the map in the escape.

>Who the fuck thought this would be a good way to start a game?
Apparently everyone, it was praised like hell.
At the time, an intro like this was something marvelous. You must be a kid if you couldn't figure that out.

I should of been a video game designer

>Opening scene is you taking out capitalist pigs trying to push their greedy beliefs upon you
>You lose
>Your daughter is very sick
>The CEO of the hospital tells you he will only save her for 2 million dollars
>She dies
>You start an underground rebel group
>You kill all capitalist pigs and take your country back
>Your daughters spirt comes back and tells you thank you for stopping other kids from dying
>Your son is now sick
>You take him to the hospital
>They tell you they can save him but you have to wait 8 months before seeing a doctor
>Your son dies
>The end

this was a mind-blowingly-cool sequence in 1998

someone from the long lost age of before you were born, nigger

It's a tech demo, like the second game too. There's particles, AI, skeletal animations, chain-scripted point and brush entity sequences etc.
It was a showcase to get people talking.
inb4 fags start arguments about the non-existent story

its setting/plot development

story and game mechanics should be intertwined. they should compliment each other.

Long... its about 2 minutes.

It truly was his destiny.

youtube.com/watch?v=zLyJP_nH5Cs