What are your honest opinions on this game?

What are your honest opinions on this game?

For bonus points, tell us what year you first played it and how old you were.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oAhvQoLpvsM
youtube.com/watch?v=JujtlsiqZ-E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I thought it had a deep story line and the graphics were awesome as fuck, but it aged like shit. Now I just think SE is holding back the remake for when they go bankrupt from all the other stupid shit they're doing, but will anyone still care?

Played it when it was a demo included with Tobal No. 1 when I was 15.

I like it very much, even today.
I was maybe 11 or 12 ... it was a year or two after the first Pokemon boom and release of Red & Blue, which kinda taught me how JRPGs work on a basic level.

I tried to beat the game with no memory card w/ a friend of mine at first. Good times.

probably my favorite. story was good. i really fell in love with the gameplay. materia system; especially summons.

its class system was slightly different. the class system limits the players physical abilities.

but no classes with materia. everyone could be summoners instead of one person you CONSTANTLY need to keep alive. instead, i evenly distribute the spells.

and the fact that materia also applies buffs/debuffs balances the effect.

it was probably the best equipment/ability system i ever played.

FFX had an amazing and interesting point of view to it.EVERYONE had access to all abilities if you are willing to make the grind.

Although having 1 summoner is VERY annoying.

forgot to mention when and age. around the year 2000. shortly after discovering the FF universe with FF8. then I went to 7 when I was told it was the best one.

i turned 13 late that year.

best final fantasy

11, 1997.

Best game of all time. Doesn't hold up today, but nor will virtually any games released this year hold up in 20 years.

Story, music, graphics (at the time), size, side quests, characterisation, atmosphere, emotion. It had it all. It was so far ahead of its competition at the time.

It will always be the greatest game of all time in my opinion, even though I can't play and enjoy it anymore really.

I played it in 2001 and I was 26 and I loved it.

GOAT

>but it aged like shit
>Doesn't hold up today
Your opinions are moronic.

Hijacking this thread. Did the FF7R leak guy deliver on that video?

Played it shortly after launch so I was 10 (birthday in October). I really enjoyed it but not as much as FF5 as that was still my top FF. I enjoyed Tactics much more which was a few months later

i hated that and still

snowboarding was only a fun thing

I want to like it but I can't because of the garbage gameplay that's easier than babby's first RPGs like SMRPG and FFMQ. At least there are mods that fix that issue.

1997, 8

great game with good story and music, is very poetic and insightful at times, among other things it makes you think about shit like

>these guys are pulling stuff out of the ground and it's killing the planet
>oh wait isn't that happening in real life?
not saying it is but it is interesting nonetheless since something similar DOES happen in real life. btw is mako supposed to be oil or some kind of radioactive element? my guess is the latter. I don't remember what age I was exactly, between 10 and 12 so this was around 99 to 2002, my sister had a friend that let me borrow it. I thought it was one of the greatest things ever, definitely one of my better childhood memories.

I loved the slow buildup in the game
I hated how when it felt like the story was finally about to burst lose after everything I heared about it I was facing the final boss already

>What are your honest opinions on this game?
Overrated moviegame that relied on cinematic storytelling way too much, for a story that isn't even good and characters that were a complete mess, made even worse by a horrible localization.
>For bonus points, tell us what year you first played it and how old you were.
Played it in 1999, 13 years old.

Played it this year as my first FF, age 21. I'll always hate random enemy encounters unless it's Dragon Quest, and navigating the backgrounds was occasionally annoying. But as somebody who's played a lot of story-driven games, I'm impressed by how cinematic it is while still being playable. Most old point-and-click adventures aren't that effectively cinematic. I thought the pace was great. The music is amazing and the summons were crazy. My least favorite part is the snow fields/glacier area.

pretty good summarizations except I disagree I think it holds up pretty well today, also check out my LUCKY SEVENS LIMIT BREAK

Playing it right now for the first time. I've finished everything but the Northern Crater, Emerald and Ruby, and Omnislash.
Just grinding til then. It has been fun, and the memory twist was pretty good.

Also played it this year. Absolutely love the aesthetic and the tone. Playing it made me feel surrogate nostalgia. I've also been watching the Found in Translation series which is about the game's localization. Pretty good.

>1080p models, 240p backgrounds
Why does anyone play this way? Clashes terribly. Really tarnishes the art style.

This game is fantastic and is in my top three favorite games of all time

1. Grandia
2. Secret of Mana
3. Final Fantasy 7

I played on PS4, I didn't think to check if I could change the resolution.

Do you guys think they'll change Cloud and Tifa's outfits in KH3 to finally fit the colorful Disney aesthetic?

I'm so fucking sick of them wearing their garbage AC outfits and the Amano designs they started using in Dissidia 12 were shitty looking with the exception of Aerith.

I liked the story a lot until it became unintelligible and then I stopped caring and didn't finish it. The gameplay isn't too great but it's a jrpg so it's understandable.

(first played the game last year, 24)

Played it from start to finish during it's initial year of release. It was good, but I also played other RPGs and games before FFVII so I don't fall in the GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME BECAUSE IT WAS THE FIRST GAME I PLAYED vortex of people

It's pretty great. Tifa is my girl. But I still leave towards stuff like Zelda OoT or if I had to pick a better Final Fantasy 6 (3) or 9

I think all the characters except Tifa and Cid are trash. The localization is bad. The graphics don't hold up as well as FF8 or 9, or even FF6. And the game falls apart after leaving Midgar.

I first played it 98 or 99, after playing FF8.

It's cool though I prefer 5
2002, 12

First played it in 1999 when I was 4 years old. My family was very very poor and all we had to play was an old IBM computer and an atari 2600. When we moved to a new house in 1998 my brothers found that the landlords had left a bin filled with clothes, a playstation with no controllers, and a copy of FFVII with a cracked case. We asked all the neighborhood kids to trade us controllers for some of our toys and eventually were able to play it. I didn't get to play until a year later and it must've been the first game I played that wasn't frogger, asteroids, or missile command. I remember not understanding a lot about the game (being a fucking 4 year old) so my brothers and dad helped me a lot. I remember countless sleepless nights staying up with my brothers while taking turns trying to beat the weapons. I remember being completely blown away by the huge world and everything that was inside of it. I remember loving all the characters and crying when Aeris died. I even remember the first time I booted up the game and heard the Opening Bombing Mission theme. So I will definitely admit that almost 100% of my love for the game is pure nostalgia but to me everything about the game is just so charming and memorable. I love it.

FFV is better though

Also: fuck that boxing minigame it's broken as fuck and I wasted so much time on it as a kid. I hope Nomura dies.

Played at 13 in 1997. Pretty much the exact right time.

My opinion actually went down and then back up again after revisiting it. It's a weird game because it's both overrated and underrated at the same time. People grab onto the superficial things that haven't aged well at all but ignore all the things that actually make it really unique.

I think people will find a new level of appreciation for it when they realize it's actually a subversion of RPG cliches. I didn't recognize it at the time because I hadn't played enough of them and was too young to recognize the subtlety. I started not liking the game back when Square was expanding on it with sequels and spinoffs but now I realize the problem was that Square Enix *itself* doesn't understand it's own game and characters.

For example, they want to hammer it into our heads that Aeris is purity personified. She fucking isn't. She's sneaky and has a manipulative streak. She *knows* she's cute and plays it up to her own ends. There's a scene outside the Honeybee Inn where she was selling flowers for 500 gil a piece to a bunch of leering Johns.

Now remember Tifa. What was she doing when we first meet her? Making Cloud remember a promise where she wanted to be rescued by her prince charming.

It's a total role reversal. The stereotypical white mage is the spunky one while the busty brawler is the hopeless romantic. That was actually something special in 1997. And the whole game is like this. Disc 1 sets up a bunch of "traditional" themes and Disc 2 tears them all apart. It turns out not only is Cloud not special, he's a random mook.

CONT:

Now a lot of people also think that Cloud and Aeris had a budding romance. But they didn't. It was actually all a misdirection being set up for Disc 2. When Aeris told Cloud she'd go out with him that was her teasing him like a big sister. She saw his familiarity to Zack but really just had a curiosity about it. When Cait Sith did his fortune and matched them up that too was all a misdirection. People didn't pick up on that though because it was really subtle and by the time of the big reveal Aeris was too dead to confirm.

CONT:

I also like that Tifa, despite her apparent lack of modesty, is super reserved and shy. If you get her date instead of Aeris, on the gondola ride she says something like "I want to say..." and then pulls back and says "Aeris would know how to say it." It makes you think she's trying to confess her love but what she's really trying to do is confront Cloud about his bullshit backstory. And she wishes she were as assertive as Aeris.

Working class girl :/

I think its a great game.

Technically I first played it in 2002 or so when I was 5, but the disc was all scratched (I have no idea why, I received Tekken and something else at the same time in more or less the same condition, so I guess they were gotten at a garage sale or something) and I couldn't progress past the scene where Cloud jumps on a train, and then in 2009 or so I learned about the toothpaste trick on discs, so I found the disc again and used that, but hit a wall about halfway through disc 1 that couldn't be fixed no matter what I tried on the disc, and then in 2014 I finally got to finish the game when one of my brothers gave me his copy.

never played it sorry

Characters are likable, and the Materia system means that you'll probably end up using all of them except Cait Sith. It also lets you play around with some nice combos, though it would be nicer if you had a few more of them early on.
Has a bit of an issue with Summons being largely a waste of time until you get to the end ones, or unless you want an Air/Holy/Water elemental attack. Also status debuffs were largely pointless unless you used them with added effect.
Story is great, and the unreliable narrator and false memory syndrome tifa are well executed, as were the individual characters getting universally decent development outside of Vincent.
The game is hilariously easy to break if you know how, but that knowing how takes a bit of legwork if you're not a filthy guide pleb
Graphics obviously are the weakpoint, even at release, but they're mostly serviceable today apart from the massive areas where the character is tiny.

First played it at release when I was 8, and am partway through a replay now

Now you mention the temple of the ancients part, I have to give them credit for the double bait and switch they pulled
>set up a meaningful sacrifice for Cait Sith, a character that you'd almost certainly have largely ignored, to redeem his wrongs
>follow up with a major dramatic scene when Cloud gives away the Black Materia and attacks Aeris in a rage
>follow that up with Cait Sith saying "just kidding, lol"
Then, barely an hour later, if that
>Aeris dies
>major dramatic scene after
>cue 20 years of fans claiming there are secret ways to bring her back

It was very well done.
A more vicious one was giving you vincent, having his limit break randomly deal out massive fire damage, and then have a boss that heals from fire attacks.
Crafty Nips.

i first played it in 2013, when i was 19
really good game, and one of the better final fantasies (i have played 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 15)

Yeah, that too. People thought Cait Sith's "sacrifice" was dumb when he just showed up again like "lol nope" but that was to desensitize you and lul you into a false sense of security before whacking you over the head an hour later.

It's the worst JRPG ever made.

Normies gonna norm.

Hi there, crab9k

Honestly I think it's extremely overrated and only so highly regarded because it was the largest scale game of its kind to be released and was the first exposure to the genre for the majority of people who played it, as they were young impressionable and before internet was massive, if it was released today it'd get shat on for homophobia, gender issues, ableist slurs and racial stereotypes just to name a few.

That guy was entirely fake, he is a known shitposter that pretends to be a SE dev and constantly makes up fake leaks

>if it was released today it'd get shat on for homophobia, gender issues, ableist slurs and racial stereotypes just to name a few.
So it would be a great game?

By contrarian standards sure.

Not to mention promoting terrorism.

I hate to break it to you, user, but nobody who cares about that shit you listed actually plays video games.

I still haven't played it bros
Should I play it, or do I wait for the remake?

You may want to check who is reviewing your games these days

>1997
>11
>Thought it was cool, but I missed FF3/6's muh pixels

Like I said, nobody who actually plays video games.

Just the people who score them and shape public perception

I guess I would be about 10 or 11 when it came out, didn't play it right away but played it while it was still new. Still impressed by the graphics they managed to pump out for the time. idk, it was fun. At times it feels like not many characters actually matter and I enjoyed there was stuff you could miss out on and that made me go back and really think. Story is a mess and was super hard to follow as a kid, but I just like playing RPGs cause they're RPGs back then. Is it the craziest best fucking FF in the whole fucking world and if you don't like it you're a gay beta faggot with no taste? Nah. It's a good game, def top of the FFs, but not my personal favorite. 2 and anything after 13 I've never touched. FF died with 10 and this shitty 7 remake isn't going to revive the series.

It was scary.
1998ish
Like 7.

I didn't actually play through all of it until much later.
It was good but the graphics are horrible.

It's an excellent jrpg that has a relatively well developed cast in a semi-unreleastic, but not too far off reality. There is wonky/weird shit happening, but the overlay of the game is within reason for fantasy.

The atmosphere of the game is great.

>shape public perception
You mean like how Polygon shaped public perception on Doom?

No like has they and countless others shaped the one for gone home

I played it first in 1999 or 2000, can't remember. It belongs to my childhood as one of the great games of the golden age of gaming as it was age of Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis 2, Team Buddies, Metal Gear Solid, Tenchu, and many games you won't see in the making today. I also consider it as one of the few making up the golden age of Final Fantasies (VII to X, haven't played VI so sorry for not including it). I was 12-13 at the time.

That being said I think it's blown out of proportions that supposedly how great this game is and I think despite being great it's just overrated. So many shit on VIII and yet it is in my opinion when I am trying to be objective a better game than VII in so many regards. Still, VII brought me to this amazing world that filled me with awe. Not as much as the world of VIII or IX but still an outstanding experience.

Played it when it came to the PS3. I was like 16 maybe.
Never actually played more than about seven hours of it cause around that time my PS3 died, along with my PSN account I set it to auto log me in whenever I turned on the console, but I forgot the fucking password. I tried the "forgot password" thing but it just never worked, I never received the email

It was fun but just couldn't bring myself to buy it again.
Bought it again on Steam a while ago because it was like 4 dollars but haven't got around to playing it yet.

That was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing user.

ok

Either you're
1. shitposting
2. actually retarded

Either play it, or play it and then play the remake

The remake is guaranteed to change the tone dramatically. It'll be better to get the original experience first.

>keeping your ps1 on for 80 hrs straight at least

How?

2003, 15, I first played FF10, really liked it, got me interested in the series.
On the internet I read about "The one and only very first three dimensional role playing videogame in the history of mankind and unanimously agreed best game in the series of Final Fantasy: Final Fantasy Seven."

The 3D games in the mid-90s all tried to deliver the same "we bring the future" spirit.
The intro starts in space and then a futuristic city appears - Großes Kino
youtube.com/watch?v=oAhvQoLpvsM
youtube.com/watch?v=JujtlsiqZ-E
that intro is the one thing that deserves the praise ff7 gets.
The story was really good, I basically agree with it had some great minigames. I spent hours on the chocobo races.

the gameplay itself, the normal fights, didn't leave a big impression on me.

i wish i knew when i first played ff7. born early 1993. my only frame of reference for this time period is memory that i got ffx and mgs2 for christmas after release (2001, so i was 8). and i know that i bought ff7 and ff8 at the same time simply because they had so many discs i thought it was a good deal. they also weren't full priced (not even ff8) so i'm assuming this would be around 1999-2000.

i started 8 first but my 2nd disc was scratched so i had to switch to 7. then i finished 7 (it was a long slog as i was 6-7 years old) but i made it and then got a new disc 2 for ff8 by renting it and switching it out.

anyways, ff7 is amazing but 9 is my favorite.

forgot to mention that playing 7 & 8 were the reasons i was pumped to get ffx for christmas

I love pretty much everything about it except for Sephiroth, who just plain sucks as a villain, whose personality and motives are defined entirely by what the plot needs him to be at the time. I also hate how Square Enix's own attempts at expanding on the FF7 universe have honestly detracted more from the story, characters and lore than they added, especially that dumbass fanwank excuse for a movie, and yes that's including the "complete" edition. Like said, Square Penix flanderizing the fuck out of the characters certainly doesn't help.

First played it when I was 11 in 2004 but didn't get very far, mostly because I was playing on a PS2 with no PS1 memory card, played it again 9 years later and it's been one of my all time favourites since then.

Spehitoth was a great villain, he drove the story perfectly

Not really, he constantly shifted personalities without any buildup, one minute he's the most legendary badass SOLDIER with the strongest will on the planet, the next he loses his marbles over finding out he's a test tube baby from space and goes on a killing spree, then he's back to having will so strong he can bend Jenova to his will. He's quite possibly the least consistent villain in the entire franchise.

Personally I love it, definitely one of my favourite games and I can't tell why exactly, I'm not an anime fan or interested in JRPGs, but something about this game really clicked with me.
It's probably because of my shitty childhood and emphasising with Cloud on some level.

I played it 4 years ago when I was 21, late compared to most I know.

To this day it's one of my favourite games, played in 1997 at a friend's house and then my own copy in 98 or 99. I still think it has one of the best soundtracks, combat systems, and stories of any RPG, and the atmosphere is incredible.

It makes me sad we'll never see a Final Fantasy like this again.

Good shit, played it about 4 years ago and it's one of my favorite games now. I'm 24 so no nostalgia involved.
It's one of those great games that will never come out again anytime soon. You can tell there was a lot of care and time put into it,

Still replay it every so often. I'd say I first got to play it around 8 or so when it came out. Finally had a chance to beat it when I was 11.

One of the greatest of all time, but heavily dated. In my personal top 5.

1998, 13yo

Same only in 2012, Its the only one I've played besides FFXV. I honestly have no interest in playing more, not because FFXV is a piece of shit I just don't really care. FFVII has fucking incredible music though.

16 years old

It was great at the time, but preferred VIII's junction system and IX's ability system once they were released to materia. Also the story has been diluted and ruined by all the spin offs.

Their attempts at "expanding" were basically them trying new genres of games with a franchise name they knew would still sell enough to break even.

2014, with 21 years. Unlike you fags, I was a normal child: I only played fightans, hack n' slash, racing, and action-adventure. I only got interested in RPGs after I changed hometown for making college, and become a lonely fuck.

I really didn't like FFVII at first. I played it after IX, IV, VIII, and VI, and I really tought the visual part of the game was among the worst ones I ever seen in a RPG. No nice design concept can survive a five polygons NPC, I only finished because of the Tifa's bootleg mod pack that retexture most of the game. The original concept is very creative, but the way it is applied is very bad too. It takes a long time after the death of the President of Shinra for the characters purpose to make sense again.

You guys like it too much because of the nostalgia goggles. Even on ps1 he isn't the best FF.

I must have droppped it three times in the circus cenario. Even the music of that crap disgusts me.

No he wasn't. After the Nibelheim part he basically disappears for the whole game and his motivations are just destroy the world because I'm evil

>playing IX first
Nah, you're just a dumbfuck who literally can't see that it's a predecessor to all the later FF games excluding the MMOs.

never played it
no opinion

>"normies"
LOL go back please.

That's not what even happens at all

He's a troubled soldier and the game makes it very clear he struggles with his identity before he even finds out he was an experiment not knowing his parents, he goes off the deep end when he finds out his past and is then killed. his body falls into the lifestream and is "resurrected" by Jenova, at that point all of he pretty much is Jenova, the first time you actually meet Sepheroth is in the crater, all of his goals after his death are Jenovas.

Played it in 2015 when I was 19 and thought it was awesome. I liked it a lot though I need to play through it again since my first run I didn't kill all the weapons and I missed Vincent I found out. Yuffie is a massive cunt and I fully supported Cloud not giving a fuck about her village woes.

I really want to like it. Everything about it is appealing to me, except the gameplay, it simply aged too poorly for me.
2014, 19, I had already watched Advent Children.
I got to the carnival town, I remeber I stopped playing right around the time Barrett kills some dude from his past, but I was simply too bored to keep going.
Don't get me wrong, the game is great, but it is obviously designed for children who have shitloads of spare time, yet I don't.
I'm hoping the remake fixes most of it, for example voice acting would really speed shit up and eliminate a lot of downtime

>Unlike you fags, I was a normal child: I only played fightans, hack n' slash, racing, and action-adventure.

Well whoop de fucking do, I played all of those AND RPGs. There is nothing to be proud of about limiting yourself to certain genres.

>he reads slower than listening to voiceovers

Shit gameplay.
Too many minigames.
Story is very well presented and for the most-part flows easily without need for grind or getting lost much.

Oh, played it about 2 years ago. 23.
I have been playing FF since I was about 19. Finished 8 a couple of months ago.

it really doesnt fren
it's a good game but take off your goggles and you'll realize it aged like shit

No but they'll probably eliminate fluff dialogue because VA is heavy plus at least you're hearing them speak, it's less boring than music+text.

>Less Boring
that's your opinion man

Yeah it is, that's what OP asked.
Any more astounding observations to make user-kun?

Friendless kid detected.

OP asked for opinions on the game, not on storytelling devices

I still love this game, I'm salty as fuck the Compilation of FF7 fucking ruined Cloud though. I first played this when I was around..7 I believe, but I never beat it fully until I was 10 or 11 because I didn't understand that Materia system back then and what not. I know the game has it's flaws, but I can overlook them because this was my first RPG and FF game.