Why is this game so boring and lifeless. There's so little to actually see and do that's rewarding...

Why is this game so boring and lifeless. There's so little to actually see and do that's rewarding. It's pretty soulless.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4
youtube.com/watch?v=QFE_kR9Kr7c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

let me guess you....didn't play it did you?

>soulless
Remove yourself.

Actually kind of scared this might be the case when I get the game. I've got a huge bias against open world games because they always feel so padded. From what I hear about BotW though it seems people who don't like open world games end up loving the game so I hope that's the case.

I don't like open world games and I still didn't like BotW

botw is one of the only open world games to do it right since it allows you to explore freely and has a lot of attention to detail and surprise quests and stuff.

Boring? Maybe.

Lifeless? No.

Oh look another bait thread. Get a job op. I promise there’s more to life than trolling.

Check reviews mate. Proper ones, or at least those of independent youtubers or something. You can get a good idea from that.

Because nintendo knew people who give it 10s no matter what. Y'know, since it's zelda and all. So they just decided to put in zero effort this time. Funny how that works huh

You mean like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4

Yes he clearly says that it's one of the best games he's ever played.

Nine months and people are still mad

He only said that so that he wouldn't get too many dislikes. He clearly hated it with all the criticism he had

I guess that's one but there are a lot. There is only so many reviews which either have "LOVE IT" or "HATE IT", but more the ones which actually shows you the content so you can understand what you're buying and less so an opinion piece.

There's literally two locations that are open with not much going on. One gives you a false sense of security before getting bombarded by robots and the desert honestly feels a bit unfinished.

Personally, the only padding I see is the dungeons. Everything else is good/fine.

Thank you for posting it

>nintendies cant argue, and this gets posted in every thread criticizing it
Truly worst fanbase

videogamedunkey. He made a video on BotW exploiting some minor glitches, fucking up simple actions and laughing like... videogamedunkey. His vid unironically convinced me this game is awesome, despite him making fun of it

>Boring
>lifless
>soulless
Buzzwords, not a real argument unless you explain in no uncertain terms what you mean. GOTY, faggot.

It is quite sparse yes. If they made another town or made the stables into more than just a tent then it might seem a little more alive. I remember someone saying there were only like 90 hyrulians in the game.

in bizarro world your opinion would be spot on

its post apocalyptic, theyre cant be giant cities in a world with all those monsters and ganon
theres like 7-8 villages not counting the one you make yourself.

The game is the reward, user. You don't need some shiny new trinket for every action you do, do you? Are you a child?

Did you mean to post this?

He loved the game and there are no glitches in his video tho.

You made this thread earlier.

I second this

See All sane people hate this game. Grow up nintendie.

Sad how true this is. Notice how switch has yet to have a good game yet dronesheeps still defend it. How sad...

If you like hearing an absolute moron drivel on for hours, josephanderson is a perfect example

take off the tinfoil hat

Has there ever been a GOTY that Sup Forums didn't cry about?

>world devastated by giant swirling pig cloud demon thing
>boring, lifeless, and soulless

Sounds about right.

Open world is the format of repeated content. There's a huge world and no incentive to explore it.

Literally the only difference between HZD and BotW is that HZD isn't gigantic and empty, it's small and empty instead. And way prettier.

>Why am I so boring and lifeless
Idk man, this game rekindled a sense of wonder and exploration I haven't felt in gaming since I got my first console.

As a jaded old man very few games can evoke (invoke?) emotions in me, but this was one of them.

This is the stupidest thing I've seen posted so many times. Sure, the first 10 hours (20 if you're real lucky and don't walk the wrong way) can give you the impression that there's a lot to see, but there's no way that "sense of wonder and exploration" is stronger with BotW after the fifth identical shrine interior or fourth "lift this rock to reveal a korok who will only ever give you one reward which decreases in value as they get harder to find" than it is if you started playing The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Gothic, Risen or anything remotely similar.

You act as if seeds and shrines we the only thing in this game, but it's where the shrine are, how to get to them, and the riddles to open them that creates that wonder. Play the game and you'll know what I mean.

Why do people think you need to constantly be rewarded with goodies and treats for your constant exploration of the overworld? Namely, the outstandingly crafted, immersive, organic overworld of BOTW. The exploration is a reward in itself, you really feel like you conquered uncharted territory when you find a new fairy fountain or uncover a side quest or even stumble across an odd landmark like the broken goddess shrine high in the mountains, or the little snow lodge with a written journal full of survival tips that offers the player a challenge to climb the Hebra Mountain path. Stuff like that is immensely rewarding, but I don't expect you to understand because you're always off on HURR KOROK SEEDS DURR SHRINES, and probably haven't even played the game.

Korok seeds and shrines, in and of themselves, also serve a purpose in greater overworld exploration. Not in the way that you think, that you're working for arbitrary inventory space long after you have enough of it or hearts/stamina after you're well off, but it tells you that whatever little corner of the world you're in, the developers thought that you would be there. As a tertiary reward for exploration, the devs are actively ensuring you that the area you're presently in wasn't just some empty patch of land they tossed to the wayside, they're telling you that just like the rest of the overworld, it was meticulously crafted and you were meant to end up there some time in your journey, you were meant to find yourself there after fervent exploration. That's what makes BOTW so good, and I feel that the recent addition of The Hero's Path on the map just proves my point.

>Why is this game so boring and lifeless.
it's not.

>There's so little to actually see and do that's rewarding.
You are wrong.

>It's pretty soulless.
On the polar contrary actually.

imagine being this much of a fanboy

>there's no way that "sense of wonder and exploration" is stronger with BotW after the fifth identical shrine
It stayed with me for 60+ hours as I kept discovering new things. Shrines, korok seeds, dungeons, even the main story are all the weakest parts of this game. It's not even a good zelda game. But it is unironically the best open world game I've played.

It doesn't hold your hand. You don't get POI marker on your HUD or a tutorial on how to ride a horse or anything. You discover it yourself and it feels like you've accomplished more because of it.

>than it is if you started playing The Elder Scrolls
TES is good but not even close to BoTW in my books. Skyrim did not make me feel like a kid again, it was just a decent open world RPG.

>surprise quests

Here, have 50 rupees for finding 10 gajilion bugs
There are fuckall rewarding quests in this game. The only ones worth doing are the required shrine quests and quests that give you armor.

>Why do people think you need to constantly be rewarded with goodies and treats for your constant exploration of the overworld?

Maybe because this is a GAME? If people didn't want to be rewarded for exploring, they would walk the fuck outside and explore the real world.

The exploration rewards you in numerous ways than just a tangible little PING telling you got a nifty new item. Why don't you go play Overwatch or some other skinner box game? I think it's more your speed

There are tons of shrine quests though. Also
>Tarrey town

>game X is shit
no replies
>game X is soulless
guaranteed replies

Nice bait. Lots of people already falling for it.

This game tried to do so much and it has to a point, but a lot of it just feels empty and/or short lived. It's a lot of bells and whistles that are left for "discovering" to make the game last longer. Cool thematic dungeons were replaced for mini game shrines. Combat was dulled down for variety of weapons. Master Sword is fucking useless now lore wise. Running into the same characters with never ending problems shouldn't be a thing. The physics of this game is amazing and I love how creative you can get with it, but it's not necessary. None of this is necessary and maybe that's the point? Just fuck it, do whatever who cares? Sandbox it cuz "its fun"? The weather system is beyond fucked tho I am happy to be able to climb just about anything that isn't Shiekah tech (shrines and dungeons). The tablet is garbage. Fuck selfies, fuck amiibo loot boxes, and fuck the boring ass story the trailer gave away.

>TES is good but not even close to BoTW in my books

>every named NPC is unique, has a routine and its own life
>every cave, ruin, encampment, building, and city has a somewhat believable place in the world
>you never know what your reward will be at the end of a challenge because there aren't only two possible rewards
>can roleplay as a thief, a warrior, a mage or anything inbetween, deeper than three weapon types and four spells
>guild and NPC quests with special twists and flavor
>crafting of various kinds
>thousands of written journals, notes and pieces of papers littered about
>can be played completely without a map to increase immersion
The only significant advantage BotW has is its cartoony artstyle. Unless that is the reason, you and everyone else who says that BotW "made you feel a sense of wonder" have the biggest double standards.

Why is this post so boring and lifeless? There's so little to actually see and read that's rewarding. It's pretty soulless.

You should trade it in buy a gun and blow yourself away

>Namely, the outstandingly crafted, immersive, organic overworld of BOTW.
That can be brainlessly traversed with simple climbing and gliding. It's a fairly empty sandbox.

>Combat was dulled down for variety of weapons.
Multiple main weapons were one of the few improvements BotW brought.

For the loss of horizontal and vertical attacks. The counter now is now slow mo "mash A to wreck" simplicity. It is an improvement to a degree, but you can't say it's that complex either. Twilight Princess and Minish Cap have better techniques than BotW.

>can tear off armor pieces from robots to expose weak spots
>can tear off antennas from robots to stop them from calling backup
>can tear off radars from robots to stop them from detecting you while stealthed
>can tear off tusks, horns and tails from robots to disable attacks related to those body parts
>can explode blaze and freeze canisters and containers to cause damage in a large AoE and disable fire and frost attacks
>can tear off cannons from robots to pick up and use yourself against them
>can tear off cargo crates to scavenge loot
>can set up snares to make robots trip over
>can damage robots' legs to make them limp and unbalanced

>combined with 10+ different robot creatures with widely different move sets and abilities.
>BUT YOU CAN'T LIGHT GRASS ON FIRE LIKE IN FAR CRY 2!

The Hinoxes have a couple cool details to them but there are only four in total and nowhere near the vast majority of what you fight, which is useless fodder enemies without AI.

>For the loss of horizontal and vertical attacks.
You still have horizontal attacks in the 1H and 2H sword strings and spin attacks, and having horizontal and vertical swings has pretty much never mattered because their damage output was identical.

>The counter now is now slow mo "mash A to wreck" simplicity.
Flurries are pretty OP, but the shield parry is nice.

>Twilight Princess and Minish Cap have better techniques than BotW.
TP doesn't have multiple weapon movesets on par with the sword though. Shame BotW didn't bother to give each weapon type its own unique advanced techniques.

>useless fodder enemies without AI.
lmao nice try

Outside lynels BotW's enemies are trash.

BTFO!

80% of enemies are moblins that only exist to make use of the durability system and fill space.
What makes it worse is that the Zelda series as tons of enemies they could've thrown in but didn't because the game was probably rushed for the Switch's launch.

Also, if that's the only thing you disagreed with, I guess that means HZD combat > BotW combat.

you can argue they're too easy, sure, but they have solid AI.

>Also, if that's the only thing you disagreed with, I guess that means HZD combat > BotW combat.
Don't assume. I feel they're very different approaches to combat systems and aren't entirely comparable. I personally prefer BotW's system simply because it allows for more options and less standard ways of fighting things that take advantage of the environment, but HZD has a solid combat system as well, especially as an open-world game.

>you can argue they're too easy, sure, but they have solid AI.
They mostly stand (sometimes hop) around leaving themselves wide open to just about anything in your arsenal. Least in previous Zelda's most enemies had their own gimmick or encouraged you to use some sort of silver bullet against them.

There's a few reasons why
>lack of variety (in general)
>almost none of the Zelda brand character progression (once you leave the Plateau)
>world is designed to incorporate absolute freedom instead of structured freedom (of something like the original LoZ), the pacing is non-existent
>90% of the soundtrack you'll be hearing is minimalist piano ditties, the good tracks are rare and fleeting
>underdeveloped setting/lore, story, and characters
>lots and lots of copypasted content
>stiff controls and terrible UI
>laughably bad ending

At least the physics were fun for a while. And Link is cute.

And yet the most core combat mechanic is deprived of depth.

>They mostly stand (sometimes hop) around leaving themselves wide open
that's not true at all, though. If there's fire nearby, they'll run to it to set their wooden weapon alight; if there's a stronger weapon (especially if they don't have a weapon), they'll run over to pick it up; if there's a barrel nearby (especially an explosive barrel) they'll throw it at you. The weaker/dumber red bokoblins can stand around more often, but the Moblins and especially Lizalfos will try to flank you by positioning themselves around you to attack from multiple sides at once.

They both have strengths and weaknesses. I'm mostly impressed by how much deliberate depth there is to HZD's combat in comparison to BotW.
The next game which uses BotW's engine will probably be more fleshed out, as I feel like the amazing ways of dealing with foes (magnesis on metal boomerangs as sawblades, sending logs with timestop, setting things ablaze etc) are lost on useless encounters with lackluster enemies.
Imagine if you could play around with feeding Like Likes and Dodongos random things, like metal shields and then lifting the enemy up with magnesis.
Or timestopping Octorock rocks like bullets. Or carrying entire Darknuts up in the air.

You can do cool stuff like but ultimately, there's no purpose. It's like a tech demo for BotW 2.

>You can do cool stuff like but ultimately, there's no purpose.
there are puzzles where things like that are useful

>Or timestopping Octorock rocks like bullets
also you can actually do this already, it's just very hard to time it

>ou can do cool stuff like (You) but ultimately, there's no purpose. It's like a tech demo for BotW 2.
It's not about "doing cool stuff", it's about combat involving weighted projectiles being more mechanically and strategically nuanced than an ez-mode arrow laser.

>If there's fire nearby, they'll run to it to set their wooden weapon alight
While being completely open to being smacked to death. None of those tricks help protect them from your attacks or make a big difference once you start trading blows. It doesn't help the Blizzard Rod completely trivializes half the bestiary.

>ez-mode arrow laser
Increase the difficulty. The challenge doesn't come from calculating trajectory. That would be impossible with the tiny, fast moving targets you need to accurately shoot.
The slingshots have trajectories, so try those instead if you really want that.

again, that only applies to bokoblins, and generally the lower level bokoblins that aren't as smart.

It's good for a first playthrough, but even I'll admit repeat ones are rough without the hard mode DLC.

botw physics are literal autistic if you shoy an arrow at 90° angle the arrow travels further than if you shot in 45°

That's everything but lynels.

blatantly false

how to fix botw:
>4 more dungeons
>tablet abilities are retooled to be dungeon items
>towns have blacksmiths now that can repair and fortify equipment
>npcs can sell weapons rather than just ammo

outside of those changes there's not much you can do besides creating more map filler to make exploration more fun/rewarding.
i'd like to see a rework of the stables/horses to be possible. they're kinda useless when you can teleport and glide everywhere. plus the stables were copy pasted and look lazy.

because it reflects yourself and your creativeness

so if you're an empty soul you might get bored in this game, and so you will know how people actually feel around you and why you have so few friends

Every non-boss enemies dies horribly to the Blizzard Rod except ice enemies who eat fire attacks instead. Guardians are a complete joke once you have the Master Sword or any comparably 60-ish damage weapon. Urbosa's Fury destroys all the minibosses but lynels by itself. Blights go down in two Master Sword Flurries, or just arrow them to death. Calamity Ganon's just a huge damage sponge.

>enemies are weak when you have strong gear
really make me think there

> Urbosa's Fury destroys all the minibosses but lynels by itself.
>Blights go down in two Master Sword Flurries,
neither of these are true

If the names were swapped and HZD was called Zelda, you'd all love it. Not only are the graphics better than anything Nintendo fans will see for decades but it has actually good combat, fun dungeons, and decent themes.

And if BotW were made by some no name studio, everyone would acknowledge of for the cool tech demo is really is.

Add peahats and image related too. As for everything else, it would flip the game on its head. I just want it to not be a shitty Zelda skin of a Minecraft minus building plus inane sidequests.

Dick-sucking BotW shitters willingly pay money for a color-swap Hard Mode and a redo of Eventide.

>it's acceptable a stick you can grab from an enemy ten minutes off the plateau invalidates half the bestiary
>the Master Sword, a thoroughly mediocre weapon, is 'strong gear'
No.

>Urbosa's Fury destroys all the minibosses but lynels by itself.
youtube.com/watch?v=QFE_kR9Kr7c

>Blights go down in two Master Sword Flurries,
Blights have 800 HP, 1H sword flurries hit seven times, 7x60=420 damage per Master Sword Flurry, two flurries and they're dead.

>soulless

Modern Nintendo IP games are the definition of soulless

>If the names were swapped and Zeda starred and ugly man faced woman attacking robot dinosaurs you would like it
Nah.

>tfw discovered Forgotten Temple today
>holy shit a secret temple I discovered on my own
>hype as fuck
>go in and its just a long stretch full of guardians with a shrine at the end

How the fuck can anyone defend this?

>From what I hear about BotW though it seems people who don't like open world games end up loving the game so I hope that's the case.

Honestly it's because most Nintendo fans haven't PLAYED other open world games, just parrot the criticisms they always hear

Now don't get me wrong, criticisms of traditional open world games are often valid. But I so often get the sense, that BotW fans haven't played other open world games, so they make these dumb proclamations that this game renders all other open world games obsolete. It does not.

BotW certainly has more interesting movement than most other open worlds, but the problems of an open world being empty are more severe here than in almost any other game. This world is not some meticulously detailed labor of love, a la Morrowind, it is mostly just filled with samey topography, reskinned, like a tech demo, and filled with a bunch of shrines and samey camps because they didn't know what else to put

I really do get the sense, that most of these fans, have not played games such as Morrowind, or even Witcher or RDR. That's why they make these proclamations that the world design is far and away better than all other open worlds, when actually BotW's world is often so boring, it makes you understand why previous open worlds are more story/quest focused than mechanic focused.

Basically: go ahead and play it anyway, but don't be surprised if it feels a lot more flawed than you were expected to believe.

>how can anyone defend this
With Guardians.

>the Master Sword, a thoroughly mediocre weapon, is 'strong gear'
the master sword is one of the strongest weapons of the game, in what way is it "thoroughly mediocre"? It takes a while to get as well.
>Blights have 800 HP, 1H sword flurries hit seven times, 7x60=420 damage per Master Sword Flurry, two flurries and they're dead.
not him but that assumes you have the master sword and even then I'm not sure this is correct

one thing BotW's world does that other open world games have failed to do is involve some good puzzles and problem solving within the world itself.

I thought the game was shit, but these false flags are really getting old. Its almost been a year now just let this shit die

And they didn’t much of a good job either considering how easily I glided over them.

>The exploration is a reward in itself

I understand this concept. But this does not apply to BotW. Because the exploration in this game is fucking boring. And I am annoyed you are implying that anyone who dislikes BotW doesn't understand that exploration is its own reward. I understand that loud and clear. But this game does not offer it.

>Because the exploration in this game is fucking boring.
that's highly subjective

I always hear this but that was not my experience. I've done 3 divine beasts and about 60 shrines. I have not had to do really crazy shit. I haven't even had to chop down a tree or manipulate fire with wind/grass. Its basically just been about seeing something in the distance, and climbing some rocks to get there.

I feel like everyone else just played a different game from me.